All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
My ADHD son was in ER Saturday..........
      #230885 - 12/12/05 08:03 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

after I couldn't control his behavior. The doctor wanted me to call the police, but there was no way I was going to call the police on a 9 year old. By the time we got to ER I understand why the police should have taken him. He was trying to get out of my car while driving. He was kicking me. I'm thankful we didn't get into a car accident.

My son was screaming, knocking over furniture, took my Pam spray and sprayed all over my kitchen while I was getting dressed. I tried to restrain him, but he decided he was going to try breaking my foot again and slammed his heel right where I broke my foot.

The ER doctor called for a Psy. consult and the nurse and social worker decided he wasn't a threat to himself nor anyone else, so they wouldn't admit him. I started crying and asked what am I suppose to do with him?

Their advice is take him off Concerta (an ADHD med.), because it is a stimulate and Alex's anxiety level is high due to a pending divorce between dad and I, he has mild OCD, and has a LD. Stimulates cause more anxiety, which will cause the behavior problems. Makes sense to me.

Alex has an appt. with the behavior couselor on Wednesday and I plan to take Alex to a different doctor. Hopfully things start to get better soon.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My ADHD son was in ER Saturday.......... new
      #230888 - 12/12/05 08:08 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Wow. Does he have a lot of sugar in his diet? I was abused as a kid and would fly into these rages when I had sugar plus the slightest provocation. To this day, chocolate still makes me loopy.

Is he on a preservative and additive free, sugar free diet? That's how they controlled me as a kid mostly, before all these drugs and psych hospitals were in vogue.

Good luck to you, I know this can't be easy.

~nelly~

#230893 - 12/12/05 08:19 AM
BarbaraS

I do limit sugar and mostly eat additive free. Dealing with IBS I mostly cook naturally, but now a days you can't avoid chemicals in food, including fresh veggies.

Now that you mention chocolate-Alex grabbed two chocolate cookies from the freezer behind my back. Maybe that is what set him off Saturday.

I think he may have allergies, because I've noticed at times his ears and cheeks will turn bright red. That is an indication of allergies. Hopfully a new doctor will be more willing to run tests instead of dx. ADHD.

#230896 - 12/12/05 08:31 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Oh Barbara, that sounds terrible, hope he is calmer now and that your other boys are not learning from his example.

It must be such a rough time for you all at the moment.

--------------------
S.

#230930 - 12/12/05 09:48 AM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

Far be it from me to question a doctor's experience but I don't know if the Concerta is necessarily the problem here. I take Concerta for ADHD too and I also have an anxiety disorder, but the Concerta doesn't make the anxiety worse; it's not the same kind of stimulant. Concerta stimulates dopamine which should settle the mind, not aggravate it. But then again, everyone responds differently to meds.

I think that it's really a good idea to take him to the behavior counselor. As good as medication is for ADHD, it usually works best with behavior mod, so I think it'll get better.

I hope it all works out for you and starts getting better. Good luck.

Avidan

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

Chocolate as a catalyst new
      #230935 - 12/12/05 09:55 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I bet the chocolate contributed to it! My parents couldn't even have it in the house cos I'd find it and spaz out.

I recently brought chocolate reeses cups to the UK when I visited my friends in March. My friend's 2 year-old, whom everybody describes as "an angel" got into the chocs and pulled a tina turner wobbler-- crying hysterically, kicking and screaming, and crawling down the road on her hands and knees, screaming hysterically. They'd never seen her like that and kept appologising profusely, but she looked more like the American kids I was used to!!

My fits were from sugary foods and chocolate. I had very bad fine motor skills and bad communication plus baggage, and I would get so frustrated I'd start kicking and tearing down the drapes.

I'm slightly better now...!

~nelly~

{{{hugs}}} new
      #230940 - 12/12/05 10:03 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

My experience with my little bro was that the police were really nice about it. He did create afterwards at us calling them, but maybe with Alex it'll give him time to calm him down. They can provide a safety net for you.

Good luck getting help for him. Life sucks when you're in a situation like that. Is there any way you could get counselling for the kids (esp. Alex) to help them through the divorce? Or is there someone in your community that could help out?

And no chocolate!

I sent you an email..... new
      #230957 - 12/12/05 10:20 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

but have to add now that I've come back here - bright red ears and cheeks have to do with food intolerances but a typical allergy prick test will NOT accurately show you what those are. Feingold (that I emailed you about) talks about natural salicylates as well as the bad artificial stuff... Luke's cheeks used to be solid red like people though we'd put rouge on him, perfect little red round circles... now I recognize those show up when he eats the wrong things and boy oh boy is he an awful wild man when he's that way. Anyway, check your email!!! hugs

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#230962 - 12/12/05 10:40 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

Oh Barbara I feel for you.
I'm suprised that the doctor wouldn't admit him for a psych eval however. I work at a school as a school psychologist intern and we've requested that one of our students be taken to the hospital because he was kicking and screaming and could not seem to settle himself down. They ended up admiting him, however, it didnt' necessarily help.

Have you tried having a TEAM or psych evaluation done through the school. That might be helpful.

As for the meds, I know many kids need to try two or three things before they finally find a match. HOpefully the behavioral counselor can help you find something that will work.

Additionally, Stay strong and be a good advocate for your child. MOre often than not, the children that fall through the cracks are the children who's parents are afraid or ashamed to give accurate records of their child's behaviors. Its natural, but parents tend to underreport on their childrens behaviors, due to the age old stigma against ADHD and other psychological concerns that affect children. You sound like you'rebeing a great advocate for him, and thats fabulous. I see far too many parents on a daily basis that underestimate and are afraid to admit what really happens.

Let us know how it turns out.

--------------------

So sorry, Barbara.... new
      #231055 - 12/12/05 03:21 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

I am so sorry this happened. I have a niece that is 34 and mentally disabled. We have had lots of outbursts from her, also. It is very hard to deal with.

Hopefully he can get his med adjusted and find a good doc so that he will get better. I know this must be very hard for you. You are such a good Mom.

Good Luck
Barbie

--------------------

#231058 - 12/12/05 03:46 PM
BarbaraS

Alex had a full screening done by a NeuroPsychologists about a year and half ago. The NeuroPsych. suggested Alex go on Strattera and Zoloft, and we tried strattera and it didn't work.

If I called the police Alex would have been admitted for a 72 hour hold. The insurance dictates if a person threathens to harm himself or someone else than a patient can be admitted. Insurance has too much say regarding treatment for our healthcare.

Plus his doctor never called me back today. The doctor knows Alex very well and knows this has been an ongoing problem with him. The counselor is very good and hopfully we can get the ball rolling on Wednesday.

#231063 - 12/12/05 03:56 PM
BarbaraS

I'm glad concerta works for you and if you look at the warning labels (as I have done online today) it suggests people with anxiety disorders not take it.

You are an adult and maybe the warnings are directed more towards children. He is on 54mg a day, which my understanding is an adult dosage. My guess is it is too much of a stimulate for him.

He has tried all ADHD meds and none of them really work. He does great during the day - no problems, but between 5:00 - 6:00 everynight the problems begin. Another side effect and less common is Reactive Effect. The meds increase his anxiety level after the medicine effects wear off, along with the behavior problems.

There are some people who can not take ADHD meds and my son more likely is one of them. Looking forward to Wednesday with the couselor and hopfully things begin to resolve.

Thanks Michelle! NT new
      #231064 - 12/12/05 03:57 PM
BarbaraS

#231068 - 12/12/05 04:11 PM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

Yeah, I'm also on 54 mg of Concerta, but I also take 10 mg of Ritalin at night for when the Concerta goes off since the crash time from effective to ineffective is about 30 minutes. But I completely agree; 54 mg is pretty high for a 9 year old, and 64 is probably pushing it.

Behavior mod was incredibly helpful for me as well, and you're right, not everyone responds to medication. Hopefully the counselor will be able to provide some assistance.

Avidan

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

#231074 - 12/12/05 04:53 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

totally understandable.. I don't think I could call the police on my own children (when I have them either).

--------------------

#231086 - 12/12/05 05:44 PM
Honey mix

Reged: 11/16/05
Loc: USA wish it was England

A kid in the fifth grade had this but not this bad. he would say vary inapropriate things when he didn't take his medicine.a natural medicine i take to make me calm down is melitonin it relaxes me

--------------------
Puppies Are Cute But I'm Cuter

#231088 - 12/12/05 06:03 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Awww hang in there Barbara. He's gonna get better soon. I had a friend who's son was similiar and as he got older he did get better.

BIG Huge hugs to you!! I know you need them right now.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Michelle, I would more info. on this new
      #231092 - 12/12/05 06:14 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

as I am finding my heart beats faster with certain foods...now I think I shall look for redness in the face (never knew of this!). We think I'm allergic to tomatoes.

I would be SO grateful for any info. you have *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#231093 - 12/12/05 06:20 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I'm so sorry Barbara! *hugs*

All I can say is...be there for your son as much as possible BUT remember to take care of you as well!

I have ADD as well as bipolar and anxiety and OCD. I am here in any way I can be...

You're AWESOME *hugs*

Love, Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#231124 - 12/12/05 10:13 PM
BJake66

Reged: 10/17/04
Loc: PA

Barb - sorry to hear your having some trouble with your son - big hugs - my youngest daughter also takes clonidine and seroquel to counteract the effects of concerta. Just a tought? as to maybe he needs some meds to also counteract the ADHD meds...

--------------------
Lisa

IBS-C, pain predominant

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1149 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1796

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review