All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
has anyone had a pelvic ultrasound w/ SIS?
      #227792 - 11/28/05 01:37 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I have one on Thursday. Just wondering what it would be like. I googled it and got some unhelpful strange results. The obgyn said to make sure I took my pain pills beforehand as I'll have some cramping pain. I'm nervous about that because most of my days now are cramping pain. Anyway, would like to hear any experiences anyone has to share! Thanks!!

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: has anyone had a pelvic ultrasound w/ SIS? new
      #227793 - 11/28/05 01:47 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I've had LOADS of pelvic ultrasounds but I don't know what SIS is???? The pelvic or transvaginal ultrasound isn't any big deal. You'll get in those lovely stir-ups and they will insert a wand that is usually covered in a condom like cover with jelly on it. Its not painful, hurts less than a speculum.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#227802 - 11/28/05 02:52 PM
jen1013

Um -- I'm not sure what SIS is, either. That's why I was hoping someone else would. And, actually, they DID warn me that it was gonna be painful ... which is kind of scary because doctors are all about pretending pain doesn't exist. Like they always say "this is going to be a pinch" when they should say "now you're going to feel like your uterus is being gnawed on by rabid wolves". But I guess maybe most women don't feel this way and it's why I'm HAVING the stupid ultrasound. Ugh. I am really hating being a woman now. Maybe I will get an operation and become Chuck, the drill press operator.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#227808 - 11/28/05 03:07 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

Hey..

I have no idea what that is either but I thought i'd leave some encouraging advice..

I wouldn't stress yourself out about it too much, in the end it will help you immensely (hopefully).

Doctors have definitly been known to make things out to be a lot worse than they are. I know that when I did my colonoscopy prep, the doctor said it would be hellish. HOwever, as an IBSD, I found the prep to be a walk in the park. Normal D without the pain. Boy was I suprised after hyping it up so much. Maybe you'll be pleasantly suprised (well as much as you can be when people look into parts of your body that aren't visable; ie. colonoscopy, ultrasound etc)

--------------------

#227857 - 11/28/05 08:21 PM
Blue24

Reged: 07/07/05
Loc: West Coast, USA

I've never had one, but I had to input here- I had an ultrasound done on both my corneas today. It was so cool!! I couldn't feel a thing. It was the most interesting physical sensation i've ever had. Poking and prodding my eyeballs w/o any feeling.. very cool.

#227898 - 11/29/05 07:24 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I had to chuckle at your post ""this is going to be a pinch" when they should say "now you're going to feel like your uterus is being gnawed on by rabid wolves" Believe me, I DO understand! After 3 miscarriages and then ALL the testing that followed and 6 months of fertility treatments, I've about had it all as far as cruel and unusual things done to you down there! I really can't figure out though what an SIS????? They do a test call a soniohystiogram where they inject saline or dye into your uterus, through your cervix with a cathiter and watch the solution on an ultrasound to make sure your tubes aren't blocked and to look for growths and other abnormalities. I had that one and it was uncomfortable, mostly pressure and some cramping but it was totally awful. The worse test I had as far as pain was the endiometrial biopsy. I screamed so loud they had to have hear me on the other side of the office building! I know the receptionist asked me if I was ok when I came out of the room because she heard me. I went home and went to bed for like 16 hours! They only do that one if they are checking for cancer or a luteal phase defect.

The best advice I can give you, is take some tylenol BEFORE you get there. Try to relax as much as possible. I know thats hard when your spread eagle in the stir ups but being tense will only make it hurt worse. If you are really nervous about it, call and see if they will give you a valium or xanax to take before you leave to help calm you down. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Update? new
      #228471 - 12/01/05 09:50 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

Just wondering how you were feeling and if the test was over yet?? Was this was the doctor wanted to do to find out why you were having so much bleeding, cramping, etc? Did he ever mention his suspicions, like endometriosis, etc? Well, I hope you're doing ok!

Ginger

--------------------

the mystery of SIS revealed new
      #229017 - 12/03/05 11:29 AM
jen1013

SIS stands for [word that might be "saline"] [word that begins with I] [word that begins with S]. What it means is that the doctor tries to put the speculum in, and you writhe in agony, so they decided to try a smaller one, and so the nurse leaves the room WITH THE DOOR OPEN while you are imprisoned in the stirrups in an unladylike position, and you're like "Um, HELLO, I'm not an exhibitionist" and the doctor belatedly pulls the crunchy paper towel stuff down, and so the nurse finally gets back, and the second speculum is horrible too, and so they end up finding one that isn't as bad except for the fact it's ICE COLD, like maybe for whatever reason they store their speculums in the refrigerator. (I hope I'm spelling "speculum" right, as often as I've just referred to it.) And THEN they finally stick something up into your cervix and say cheerfully, "You might feel a bit cramping", and you feel a LOT cramping, like your worst cramps EVER magnified a thousand-fold plus maybe like a kick from a horse or something for good measure, and you're sniffling and gasping, and there is this really suspicious long silence from the doctor and nurse, and then they say, "Oops! It didn't take! We have to do it again." And then THIS time it hurts so much that you're lying there crying and trying hard not to squeal too much like a dying pig, and meanwhile the nurse is all "You're doing great!" and you're like if this is doing great then how would I be feeling if I was doing awful???? But then at last they're done, and they give you three or four Kleenexes to mop up the approximately 6 ounces of lubricant they used, plus a sanitary pad that feels thicker than your average mattress "just in case". Just in case what? Just in case my body forcefully expels 50% of my body's water content? Because that's about how much that this pad could absorb.

Anyway ... more in a bit. I have to go hang up my laundry before it wrinkles.

--------------------
jen

Re: the mystery of SIS revealed new
      #229024 - 12/03/05 12:44 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

OH NO! Sounds terrible!

did they give you any results?

--------------------

OWWWWWWeeeeeeee!!!!!!!! new
      #229057 - 12/03/05 03:52 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

That sounds HORRIBLE! I hate that kind of doctor. And everything hurts me worse than it should cos of the Fibro anyway so I'm like "stay AWAY from the girly bits, OKAY?!" .

{{{hugs}}}

What were they checking for anyway? Was it a smear test (ouchee)? I've got to have another one of those next year and I'm already dreading it. Lord knows what I'll be like when my doc starts talking about mammograms as well.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 148 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2369

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review