Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
laproscopy new
      #229300 - 12/05/05 06:58 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Hey Jen,
I had a laproscopy when I was about 15. It wasn't a picnic but it wasn't horrible either. I was pretty uncomforable for about 4 or 5 days afterwards, and couldn't lift heavy things for a couple weeks. The incisions were tiny -- one in my belly button and one about the size of a dime just over my pubic bone. My bellybutton healed fine, and I have a small scar from the other one. But, I'm olive-skinned and we tend to scar a litte more easily. It's barely visible and it only shows when I'm totally nude (and at that point, who cares?!). The only odd thing was that I had pretty bad shoulder pain, which was a result of the gas they pump into your abdomen so that they can move around. That subsided after about a day. My dad was paranoid about me having too much percocet, so I only took it the first day and then was on extra-strength tylenol after that, and it was no big deal. I'd be happy to answer any questions for you if you have them (though it has been about 10 years!).

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: part II new
      #229337 - 12/05/05 08:41 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I'm so sorry your having to go through all this Jen. I had that same saline test done and yes, it wasn't any fun and I had some pretty major cramping also. I really do think the lap is a good idea. I was actually going to have one done for my fertility problems just before I found out I was pregnant. Its realy an exploritory surgery and can really answer a lot of questions. They should be able to tell whats going one with this funky cycst you've got and tell about the endio and make sure everything else is ok. You'll be laid up for a couple of days but I've heard it isn't too terrible. Good luck sweetie and keep us posted.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: part II new
      #229586 - 12/06/05 08:21 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

Hey, I've been out of town so I just read this. It seems like cysts are pretty common, even abnormal ones. My mom had one of her ovaries removed when she was 19. And then had three healthy children, with no problems. So it's good you're getting it checked out, and it's great you don't have to wait a long time.
I wouldn't know what the doctor was talking about either. I've determined lately I need to stop looking up symptoms online because I will undoubtably discover I have a fatal illness (but not really). I think you just have to rely on how you feel, ask the right questions, and listen to your doctor, and maybe get a second opinion if need be.

And good luck with all this. Hopefully you have more answers next week!

Ginger

--------------------

Melissa new
      #229778 - 12/06/05 06:59 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Is it painful during sex or just at entry? Or both? You don't actually have to answer that, but that's what your doctor (and all of mine! ) should have asked.

I have pain at entry because I have vestibulitis. Look it up on mayoclinic.com or WebMD. This I DO know and he is going to try treating it by injecting the area with some kind of steroid.

I also have pain during sex. And I don't know why yet. That's one of the reasons why the gyno thinks I have endo. This has gotten progressively worse and worse. We can't even have sex anymore, it just kills me.

NEITHER ONE is normal. Especially if it continues. So get thee to a decent doctor!!! You (and your BF!!!!) deserve a lot better.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Amanda new
      #229782 - 12/06/05 07:35 PM
jen1013

heh ... if I were totally nude, the LAST thing I would be worrying about someone seeing would be a dime-sized scar!!!!

I'm not really worried about the actual procedure. My main burning question -- do you think Gas-X would help with the gas pains afterwards??? That sounds like the worst part. I went out and bought a huge box of it.

So how were you "pretty uncomfortable"? Were you pretty much flat on your back the next day or could you do some moving around? I am wondering if I'll feel OK enough to sit up, at least enough so I can work on my laptop and get some stuff for work done.

I guess my main worry is that they DON'T find anything. What if I just have this stupid ordinary cyst and that's it?? Then I'm back to square one. Not like I really WANT them to find out that my internal organs are entwined in masses of scar tissue and adhesions, but I need answers!!!

Oh, well. Thanks for the input. Didn't it scare you to have a laparoscopy done that young?? I would've freaked at the thought when I was 15. (Also almost ten years ago for me, too. Ugh.)

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Jen new
      #229851 - 12/07/05 08:30 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

By "pretty uncomfortable" I mean I slept most of the day after the surgery. The next day I laid on the couch propped up on pillows and watched TV. My abs were really sore -- like I'd just done a thousand crunches. But I didn't have any sharp pains or anything that really made me say OUCH! Just generally sore. I had it done the day after Christmas (great gift) and went with my parents to a new year's party at a neighbor's house about a week later. I was okay to walk around and everything, just didn't feel fantastic. You'll definitely be able to get some stuff done on your laptop for sure.

I felt the same way you did about hoping they'd find something to give them answers but not find anything serious. Mine turned out to be a total fluke -- they have no idea why I developed an adhesion, and as far as I know I don't have endometriosis (and I didn't then).

It DID freak me out to have it done that young. The worst part was that the reason they did it was because they intially found a "lump" about two inches above my hip bone on the left side. The lump turned out to be my very out of place ovary, but I was terrified until I learned that. My family was great and very supportive but I knew they were scared too. I think the worst part for me was that we had to sign a consent form before the surgery allowing them to take out any organs they thought were necessary. So basically, I consented to a full hystorectomy at 15. Thank GOD that didn't come to pass. All they did was snip the adhesion, which made my ovary float back to place, and then they sewed me up!

I have to say I don't think the gas-x will do much good, since the gas won't be in your actual stomach, just in your abdominal cavity. Ask your doctor though, he might think differently.

I'm here if you have any more questions or if you are just nervous and want to vent.

Ooooh one more little pleasant thing ...
When I woke up from the surgery, they said I'd find a pad in my underpants, and not to freak out if I saw Iodine, because they had to "probe." Urgh. I didn't feel anything from it but it was pretty strange!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

thanks! new
      #230014 - 12/07/05 09:16 PM
jen1013

That helps! (That would have been freaky to go through that at age 15 -- glad it wasn't anything too serious.) I have stocked up on DVDs and plan on a lot of couch time.

OK, bedtime for me! I will try to post again sometime in the next couple days and let you guys know how it went.

--------------------
jen

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 600 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2371

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review