All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Christmas gifts...
      #227300 - 11/25/05 05:34 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

I have two sisters and we all chip in on parents gifts, don't worry about our generation and buy for our nieces and nephews until they are 21.

Though my kids don't have everything, they have enough that I am having a hard time decided what to buy them! We aren't doing ipods or cell phones (though you wouldn't believe how many 11 & 12 year olds have them).

I like the thought of keeping the holiday simple and celebrating the birth of Jesus...this commercial stuff makes me tired.

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

What aout new expriences? new
      #227346 - 11/26/05 06:50 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I love the whole Red Letter Day thing we have over here...you buy someone an experience, like learning to scuba dive or having a facial...pretty much anything's available! They're great for people who have everything AND if you pick the right one (ie. learning a new skill) it's something your kids will always have.

Man, I ALWAYS wanted books when I was their age - I was easy!

Edited by Linz (11/26/05 06:50 AM)

Re: That sounds coooool! ~nt~ new
      #227348 - 11/26/05 07:18 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Re: Christmas gifts... new
      #227368 - 11/26/05 08:24 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

So Rachel, what's the solution here? I have 2 nieces and 2 nephews and their parents have intilled no morals in them at all. For them, it's all about money and who got them the best present...sad, but true! They don't even take the time to thank the person half the time....unless it's money which excites them the most.

Well, this nerdy aunt has no money...so I can't compete with my brothers who spend 100s of dollars on them and have become quite popular with them. I don't feel like I could possibly pick out anything that they would be happy with. Plus, most are 11-14 years old...so I have no idea what is "in" with this age group. Any suggestions? BTW, did I mention I have no money????

What are you getting your mom or grandma? I am clueless this Christmas. I went to the mall yesterday (surprisingly not crowded) and everything just looked like commercialized junk...the usual sweaters, jewelry, etc. Nothing personal or anything that stood out. Just store bought, overpriced crap!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

For my nephews... new
      #227378 - 11/26/05 09:06 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

I am going to heifer.com and purchasing a cow for a family in a third world country on their behalf.

Inexpensive gifts for nieces....yarn and knitting needles?

Nephews, I have no clue.

I am so grateful that our family is not about competition as to who can buy the best gifts. I don't think I could take it.

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Re: For my nephews... new
      #227386 - 11/26/05 09:26 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

My sister is 14 and loves glitter! She's a huge fan of fashionable earrings, bracelets etc, the shinier the better. I'll probably be getting her something along those lines, or maybe some clothes. Are your nieces girlie girls? My sis is so all pink and fluffy things work, as to smellies from drugstores, you can pick up some really nice ones around Christmas for not too much, again with my sis the pinker and glitterier the better! The pink and glitter works for everything even socks and slippers too, as long as they are pretty she's delighted with them.

My brother is 11, almost 12 and he loves books, his favourites are ones like "Top Ten of Everything" and he also adores the "Lemony Snicket" Books and the "Horrible Histories" ones. Otherwise he likes cool clothes, but luckily not expensive ones.

I went to a shopping centre (mall) today and it was CRAZY! I haven't really thought about what I will get my family or husband for Christmas yet, will have to think about it, got some ideas today though. P's work have a discount night (20%off!) on Tuesday for a fabulous crafts store so we should get something for three or four people there.

Ho Ho ho!

--------------------
S.

Re: Beth - Christmas gifts... new
      #227397 - 11/26/05 10:07 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I'm not sure what your budget is, but I have a few ideas. I'd say for girls aged 11-12, they might like a cute diary/journal w/ glittery, colorful pens. If they're in the 13-14 range, a scented body lotion and/or matching candle would be cool. Someone mentioned body glitter or lip gloss - that's a really good suggestion.

For the boys, how about "Scene It"? It's a DVD trivia game that comes in different themes (music, movies, sports, TV, Disney, Harry Potter, etc.). Something I'm thinking of getting my 12 year old cousin is a 20 Questions handheld game. I think this would be great for the girls too!

Personally, I always liked getting books and games, but I have enough female cousins to know that most of them prefer "pretty little things."

Edited by SPASMTASTICAL! (11/26/05 10:15 AM)

Re: Christmas gifts... new
      #227430 - 11/26/05 11:47 AM
Honey mix

Reged: 11/16/05
Loc: USA wish it was England

A Horse (thats what i would want and i'm 12 )

--------------------
Puppies Are Cute But I'm Cuter

Wow! heifer.org is great! new
      #227435 - 11/26/05 12:18 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I just checked out that site (it's actually heifer.org), and what a great way to reinforce the true meaning of GIVING! I'm definitely inspired to give such a gift to members of my family (although maybe not a cow since that's way beyond my budget). Thanks for posting this!

Re: Wow! heifer.org is great! new
      #227437 - 11/26/05 12:27 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Here's a similar site-
http://www.concerngifts.org/gifts.php

Although a word of caution with these gifts, I "gave" a goat to my aunt two years ago and she was visibly very very disappointed not to get a gift "for her". She made a number of comments about it throughout the day and then proceeded to tell a story about a bad experience that she had had with the charity I bought it through. I was disgusted with how ungrateful she was. I bought her a vase last year.

--------------------
S.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 112 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1471

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review