All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Where to move, which place to go (EDITED!!)
      #225621 - 11/17/05 07:18 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

when you love a Southern accent and you love the snow? (Keep in mind tho...hubby only drives with me in the car cause he has a vision impairment so snow it tough for him. And he's a Southern boy from Texarkana...likes it HOT BUT he HATES humidity. )

So far as things we like: Hubby likes it temperate. He wants to be able to bike all year. I like the snow and I love Southern Accents and hospitality...but the humidity in the summertime makes me ill....so the South may not be the right place for us?? (Tell me what you think!)

If you live in Denver shout my way! How cold DOES it get? Does dry snow behave differently than wetr snow and HOW so if it does?

If you live in St. Louis...what's the climate like??

How bout Atlanta??

Texas (still the South right?) how bout St. Louis too? What's in like down in 'Lanta (Atlanta) or in Timbuktu??

Ok.....hubby and I are considering:

St. Louis

Dallas

Denver

Those are the top 3 places atm!!

Well? If you live in one of these places (or close by) tell me all you know!!

We're also considering Waterbury CT!!!!! So GO NEW ENGLAND if you know Waterbury sell me on it (Used to live in Boston and I LOVED it--New England rocks!!)

And lets not forget Cleveland OHIO or Cincinatti!

If your state or even your country is not on here and you think it should be, let me know why (We ARE actually considering Canada AND England I think though it is toooo cold/snowy there for hubby and prob for my fibro...but we are NOT going to overlook anything. We want to settle down already!)

For those of you that are new to the boards, hubby and I move pretty much once a year and we are looking to settle down!! SO...we are not making any hasty decisions this time around and are considering ALL our options!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: CANADA ROCKS!!!! new
      #225627 - 11/17/05 07:57 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Southwestern ontario gets it all, babe. Freezing winters and hot hot summers. In the winter it can go down to 0 degrees farenheit and in the summer it can easily go as hot as 100 farenheit plus humidity. Did you know that the southernmost point of Canada (Peelee Island, Ontario) is on the same latitude as Northern California? Put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!!

Usually, the weather is slightly below 32 farenheit in the winter, and this summer, it was mostly around 90 degrees farenheit. Yes, we have frigid cold days, where your skin can freeze in minutes, but you get used to them. It would be a good experience for hubby.
COME move near us!!!! I would love it if you lived near us. Plus, we have a great health care plan. And no toll roads.
Any more questions, e-mail me.
Hugs, Alicia.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Atlanta, baby!! new
      #225630 - 11/17/05 08:10 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I live about 14 miles from Atlanta!! The weather sucks, though! It's always bad weather down here. We're getting ready to move back up to NC, where I grew up! I love NC!! Very nice country, very nice people!! I can't wait to get back up there.
Meet ya there!!
*hugs*
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Rural Virginia! new
      #225632 - 11/17/05 08:20 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I'm from just outside of Richmond, which isn't rural, but I've been around the state enough. Rural Virgina's got the Southern accent. Viginia gets hot and humid summers, and cold winters with ice and snow. Plus the small town people are so incredibly nice! I don't know much about the Jewish comunity outside of Richmond though, there's a pretty substantial one in the city.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

England's expensive! new
      #225635 - 11/17/05 08:28 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

The cost of living, house prices and fuel costs are all sky-high here compared to most of the States. It sucks!

I love it here, but given the number of times Si and I have said we'd like to move to the States, I probably shouldn't recommend you move here.

And then we don't get much hot OR snow...our weather is very middling, although the Scottish mountains get some snow on a regular basis.

Hmm, I've always thought that the middle of the East Coast (Virginia, North Carolina, etc) sounded nice. And I love New England - never been, but can't wait to go!

My husband wants... new
      #225637 - 11/17/05 08:37 AM
Snow for Sarala

A temperate climate...

No snow, no humid hot summers!!

Personally, I miss the snow! And humid summers make me sick. (Denver might work out very well for us). But I wanted to post this because we ARE trying to find the best place and we DO want to keep all our options open and weather is NOT the only thing to consider (but affordability is pretty import isn't it!!)

Btw, hubby and I would love to move to Seattle (but we already looked into it and the Jewish community there is a bit too small for us We are looking for a place that is more established with schools and what not.)

I SO appreciate your honest Linz *hugs*

How are you feeling today *gentle hugs*

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Ruchie... new
      #225642 - 11/17/05 09:02 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

if I ever have to move, I'd pick New England. Like you, I LOVE it there. I've been to Boston, Cape Cod, Nantucket....when I was in Cape Cod, I felt like...I could raise kids here. It wasn't necessarily the funnest "vacation" ever, but I just felt so comfortable there, and I LOVE the ocean, particularly THAT ocean. Don't ask me why!! I told my husband if we ever strike it rich, we're going to have a vacation home there. (SIGH).

You are so wise to be considering so many places! My husband and I are extremely close to our families, and that will probably keep us rooted in Chicagoland forever, which is fine with me, cause I LOVE Chicago. (My kind of town....ok, that was cheesy!)
One of my bestest friends, who is also my husband's cousin that he grew up with, just was married and moved to Phoenix a few weeks ago, and it paralyzed us temporarily because we are so tight knit. I often envy people with the ability to just get up and go. BUT---I'm going to visit her in 2 weeks, which will be just in time to escape the snow!!

--------------------

Ginger... new
      #225649 - 11/17/05 09:12 AM
Snow for Sarala

We live in phoenix now! LOL I hope your friends love it here What days will you be here??

It is such a friendly place (at least the Jewish community is here!!) And very aesthetic! I think you'll like it

Hubby and I def miss the ocean and would move back to Boston in a heartbeat if it weren't so expensive...(We REALLY miss our friends there!)

I know what you mean about New England! Sometimes there are places where everything just FEELS RIGHT and CLICKS...on some level that's what hubby and I are looking for. A place that clicks AND is affordable

P.S. Chicago is supposed to be a fantastic city!! How does it compare to Boston would you say?

Thanks for the post *hugs*

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Ruchie.. new
      #225655 - 11/17/05 09:20 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

Well, so far they like it! They definitely don't miss the weather here. Especially today, where we all woke up to 15 degrees! (but I do love my snowy christmases).

Hmm...Chicago compared to Boston. Well, Chicago seems bigger somehow. I know when I've been to Boston, there are all those different...parts, or suburbs, or I don't know what you call it. For some reason Chicago feels more united? I'm probably making no sense!! And it feels more urban here. We don't have that laid back feel that so many cities along the coast seem to have. We're all hustle and bustle! I actually live in a suburb, but work right in the Loop, and I love being able to get out on my lunch breaks and walk around and feel like I'm part of the dynamic here.
And we've got great food, GREAT theater, and Great shopping!! (but I could find great shopping anywhere, really).

--------------------

Re: Ruchie.. new
      #225662 - 11/17/05 09:38 AM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks Ginger!! *hugs*

What's the driving like there? Is it like NY, do you know?

And how cold does it get? Is 17 degrees typical? Is that with the windchill?

I know NYC is too big for us and Boston was great...CT actually seemed a bit small for me (hubby's never been except driving through)...it's NOT going to be an easy decision for us (can you tell why we move every year??)

I know we'll find the right place this time!! Esp. with so much help o the boards

Thanks again...and enjoy your time in Phoenix!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 225 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 29769

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review