All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Where to move, which place to go (EDITED!!)
      #225621 - 11/17/05 07:18 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

when you love a Southern accent and you love the snow? (Keep in mind tho...hubby only drives with me in the car cause he has a vision impairment so snow it tough for him. And he's a Southern boy from Texarkana...likes it HOT BUT he HATES humidity. )

So far as things we like: Hubby likes it temperate. He wants to be able to bike all year. I like the snow and I love Southern Accents and hospitality...but the humidity in the summertime makes me ill....so the South may not be the right place for us?? (Tell me what you think!)

If you live in Denver shout my way! How cold DOES it get? Does dry snow behave differently than wetr snow and HOW so if it does?

If you live in St. Louis...what's the climate like??

How bout Atlanta??

Texas (still the South right?) how bout St. Louis too? What's in like down in 'Lanta (Atlanta) or in Timbuktu??

Ok.....hubby and I are considering:

St. Louis

Dallas

Denver

Those are the top 3 places atm!!

Well? If you live in one of these places (or close by) tell me all you know!!

We're also considering Waterbury CT!!!!! So GO NEW ENGLAND if you know Waterbury sell me on it (Used to live in Boston and I LOVED it--New England rocks!!)

And lets not forget Cleveland OHIO or Cincinatti!

If your state or even your country is not on here and you think it should be, let me know why (We ARE actually considering Canada AND England I think though it is toooo cold/snowy there for hubby and prob for my fibro...but we are NOT going to overlook anything. We want to settle down already!)

For those of you that are new to the boards, hubby and I move pretty much once a year and we are looking to settle down!! SO...we are not making any hasty decisions this time around and are considering ALL our options!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: CANADA ROCKS!!!! new
      #225627 - 11/17/05 07:57 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Southwestern ontario gets it all, babe. Freezing winters and hot hot summers. In the winter it can go down to 0 degrees farenheit and in the summer it can easily go as hot as 100 farenheit plus humidity. Did you know that the southernmost point of Canada (Peelee Island, Ontario) is on the same latitude as Northern California? Put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!!

Usually, the weather is slightly below 32 farenheit in the winter, and this summer, it was mostly around 90 degrees farenheit. Yes, we have frigid cold days, where your skin can freeze in minutes, but you get used to them. It would be a good experience for hubby.
COME move near us!!!! I would love it if you lived near us. Plus, we have a great health care plan. And no toll roads.
Any more questions, e-mail me.
Hugs, Alicia.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Atlanta, baby!! new
      #225630 - 11/17/05 08:10 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I live about 14 miles from Atlanta!! The weather sucks, though! It's always bad weather down here. We're getting ready to move back up to NC, where I grew up! I love NC!! Very nice country, very nice people!! I can't wait to get back up there.
Meet ya there!!
*hugs*
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Rural Virginia! new
      #225632 - 11/17/05 08:20 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I'm from just outside of Richmond, which isn't rural, but I've been around the state enough. Rural Virgina's got the Southern accent. Viginia gets hot and humid summers, and cold winters with ice and snow. Plus the small town people are so incredibly nice! I don't know much about the Jewish comunity outside of Richmond though, there's a pretty substantial one in the city.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

England's expensive! new
      #225635 - 11/17/05 08:28 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

The cost of living, house prices and fuel costs are all sky-high here compared to most of the States. It sucks!

I love it here, but given the number of times Si and I have said we'd like to move to the States, I probably shouldn't recommend you move here.

And then we don't get much hot OR snow...our weather is very middling, although the Scottish mountains get some snow on a regular basis.

Hmm, I've always thought that the middle of the East Coast (Virginia, North Carolina, etc) sounded nice. And I love New England - never been, but can't wait to go!

My husband wants... new
      #225637 - 11/17/05 08:37 AM
Snow for Sarala

A temperate climate...

No snow, no humid hot summers!!

Personally, I miss the snow! And humid summers make me sick. (Denver might work out very well for us). But I wanted to post this because we ARE trying to find the best place and we DO want to keep all our options open and weather is NOT the only thing to consider (but affordability is pretty import isn't it!!)

Btw, hubby and I would love to move to Seattle (but we already looked into it and the Jewish community there is a bit too small for us We are looking for a place that is more established with schools and what not.)

I SO appreciate your honest Linz *hugs*

How are you feeling today *gentle hugs*

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Ruchie... new
      #225642 - 11/17/05 09:02 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

if I ever have to move, I'd pick New England. Like you, I LOVE it there. I've been to Boston, Cape Cod, Nantucket....when I was in Cape Cod, I felt like...I could raise kids here. It wasn't necessarily the funnest "vacation" ever, but I just felt so comfortable there, and I LOVE the ocean, particularly THAT ocean. Don't ask me why!! I told my husband if we ever strike it rich, we're going to have a vacation home there. (SIGH).

You are so wise to be considering so many places! My husband and I are extremely close to our families, and that will probably keep us rooted in Chicagoland forever, which is fine with me, cause I LOVE Chicago. (My kind of town....ok, that was cheesy!)
One of my bestest friends, who is also my husband's cousin that he grew up with, just was married and moved to Phoenix a few weeks ago, and it paralyzed us temporarily because we are so tight knit. I often envy people with the ability to just get up and go. BUT---I'm going to visit her in 2 weeks, which will be just in time to escape the snow!!

--------------------

Ginger... new
      #225649 - 11/17/05 09:12 AM
Snow for Sarala

We live in phoenix now! LOL I hope your friends love it here What days will you be here??

It is such a friendly place (at least the Jewish community is here!!) And very aesthetic! I think you'll like it

Hubby and I def miss the ocean and would move back to Boston in a heartbeat if it weren't so expensive...(We REALLY miss our friends there!)

I know what you mean about New England! Sometimes there are places where everything just FEELS RIGHT and CLICKS...on some level that's what hubby and I are looking for. A place that clicks AND is affordable

P.S. Chicago is supposed to be a fantastic city!! How does it compare to Boston would you say?

Thanks for the post *hugs*

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Ruchie.. new
      #225655 - 11/17/05 09:20 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

Well, so far they like it! They definitely don't miss the weather here. Especially today, where we all woke up to 15 degrees! (but I do love my snowy christmases).

Hmm...Chicago compared to Boston. Well, Chicago seems bigger somehow. I know when I've been to Boston, there are all those different...parts, or suburbs, or I don't know what you call it. For some reason Chicago feels more united? I'm probably making no sense!! And it feels more urban here. We don't have that laid back feel that so many cities along the coast seem to have. We're all hustle and bustle! I actually live in a suburb, but work right in the Loop, and I love being able to get out on my lunch breaks and walk around and feel like I'm part of the dynamic here.
And we've got great food, GREAT theater, and Great shopping!! (but I could find great shopping anywhere, really).

--------------------

Re: Ruchie.. new
      #225662 - 11/17/05 09:38 AM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks Ginger!! *hugs*

What's the driving like there? Is it like NY, do you know?

And how cold does it get? Is 17 degrees typical? Is that with the windchill?

I know NYC is too big for us and Boston was great...CT actually seemed a bit small for me (hubby's never been except driving through)...it's NOT going to be an easy decision for us (can you tell why we move every year??)

I know we'll find the right place this time!! Esp. with so much help o the boards

Thanks again...and enjoy your time in Phoenix!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

CHARLOTTE CHARLOTTE CHARLOTTE!!!!!!! new
      #225667 - 11/17/05 09:46 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Charlotte, NC - of course! It's beautiful, everything you'd want in a big city, but all the suburbs are still cozy and fun and there are a LOT of nice people here (hint hint hint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Honestly, I hope I live here till my grandkids are comign to visit!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Tell me more, tell me more, new
      #225670 - 11/17/05 09:50 AM
Snow for Sarala

what does big city mean? Tell me more, tell me more, are the winters/summers real mean?

What do you like about it there so much? Will I hear a real southern drawl round there? Are the summers humid...winters frigid?

Can you compare it for me to say Boston?

The best thing it has going for it is YOU Michelle! *hugs*

Thanks for posting...can't wait to hear back :-)

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

okay I'll try new
      #225672 - 11/17/05 10:00 AM
ecmmbm

It's very hot/humid in the summer, I won't lie to you, but I've never lived anywhere that wasn't. Have access to a pool and you'll stay there all summer long, like we do! (I just reread that humid summers make you sick, that might be a show-stopper here, it does get hot/humid but just FYI that would rule out the ENTIRE southeast so there goes your southern charm too!)

Winter is not bad - one winter we had an ice storm, and it does get cold, but not gobs of snow or anything. I actually like that we GET a little of all 4 seasons, if that makes sense.

By big city I mean that if I want to go to uptown I can enjoy gorgeous skyline, lovely street cafes, a Broadway show, NFL football, NBA basketball, all the shopping of any major city, a great chidlren's museum, etc etc etc. There's tons to do. Also GREAT parks and places to bike, etc, lots of outdoorsy people here and I love that.

That help????????

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

Edited by ecmmbm (11/17/05 10:04 AM)

Re: Where to move, which place to go (EDITED!!) new
      #225675 - 11/17/05 10:07 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

Hey Ruchie!

I'll try to give you some advice. Throughout my childhood we moved ALOT! I've lived in Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, Colorado, Chicago, Tennessee, Denver Colorado, Pennsylvania, and now my parents live in virginia. Primarily, I lived in Mass and Connecticut though (three different times, three different places).

New England is great, but it is humid in the summer and cold in the winter.

As for connecticut, Its also very nice, but a little pricey. You'll have to check it out, and see what you think.

My favorite place that I've ever lived was pittsburgh Pa, but thats pretty much the same weather we get up in boston. (same as places in ohio).

Virginia is really nice, only a tiny bit of snow, and warm summers. They still have four seasons though. When I go home for christmas i'm always wearing a sweater etc.

As for colorado, that was really fun too. The view out of our front door was of the rockies which was gorgeous. The weather there is a little more mild year round from what I remember.

Can your hubby find a job in all of these places?
I'm actually going to AZ for xmas this year. My grandma lives in sun city west, and we're going out there to celebrate with her.

--------------------

Ruchie, thanks for asking this! new
      #225686 - 11/17/05 10:21 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I too am looking to move someplace new. What I'm looking for is a place that has mild climate, low cost of living, and a good job market.

Any recommendations? I want to move out of Illinois, I think.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Hubby is an architect... new
      #225687 - 11/17/05 10:23 AM
Snow for Sarala

so of course jobs will be crucial! He only does high end residential, no commercial, so it's not the easiest to find depending on the location. AZ was a breeze! Miami was a dud.

Denver is sounding more and more plausible...

Thanks for the advice *hugs* ENJOY AZ!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Well, more on selling Charlotte new
      #225688 - 11/17/05 10:26 AM
ecmmbm

The banks are always hiring here like crazy, I don't know about anyone else, but the population here is booming just because the banks alone keep hiring hiring hiring... everyone I know works at Wachovia or B of A.

Cost of living is a lot less that what I hear tell in Cali and NY and New England. Townhomes and nice 3 BR homes are available all over for the 120'-150's range, brand new. Of course there are plenty of million dollar homes out there too but we admire those from the other side of the gated entrance, ha!!!!!!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

Re: Ruchie, thanks for asking this! new
      #225689 - 11/17/05 10:28 AM
anlikerm

I didn't like Illinois, either. I was born in Peoria and our family lived in North Pekin until I was 10. Dad had to go on Strike with Caterpillar and we moved to North Carolina because we were sinking. Best decision we ever made. I love NC and cannot wait to get back up there in the Spring. I will never leave, ever again!!
Come on Down, Beth!!
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

I was considering Roanoke, Virginia new
      #225690 - 11/17/05 10:28 AM
Augie

Never been there, but it scored high in the three areas that are most important to me. I checked out the book "Cities Ranked and Rated". It's a great Resource! Ranks over 350 cities on 8 important areas like economy/jobs, cost of living, climate, eduation, health care, leisure, arts/culture, transportation.

Roanoke scored 11th best city over-overall....but pretty high on all 3 factors I'm specifically looking for.

I hight recommend checking this book out. The aurthor is Sanders. It full of so much info...from cost of apartments, food, number of libraries, crime, etc.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: okay I'll try new
      #225691 - 11/17/05 10:31 AM
Snow for Sarala

Sounds like a DREAm...minus the weather humidity...

Def something to look into further! Any knowledge of a Jewish Community anywhere?? Let me know!!! I would sooo not mind living in the same locale as you and BL!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: You didn't like Miami?? new
      #225692 - 11/17/05 10:32 AM
anlikerm

I lived in Miami for a couple of years, before IBS, and I absolutely loved it. The heat and humidity sucked pretty bad, but I had a lot of fun down there. I don't think my health could handle that humidity, now, though.

I lived in Coconut Grove and the road that connects Brickell key and Key Biscayne. I cannot remembe what the name of that street was. 21st?? I don't remember, but it was beautiful!!

Michelle

Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

But you live in Georgia? new
      #225693 - 11/17/05 10:34 AM
Augie

Why did you move from NC to Georgia?

Don't the humid summers just wreak havoc on your IBS? It's so hard on the tummies, according to Heather's books.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Well, more on selling Charlotte new
      #225694 - 11/17/05 10:35 AM
Snow for Sarala

WOW!!!!!! Yeehaw!

Did I ever mention I was born in Atlanta..lived there just a few months of my life...but I seem to have this strange connection to the South. Trut is I'm just torn...half of me is Souther and the other half od me Northern LOL no wonder I can't seem to "settle down"

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: CHARLOTTE CHARLOTTE CHARLOTTE!!!!!!! new
      #225715 - 11/17/05 11:52 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I'm from AL, but having grown up in GA, lived in OK and visited extensively in TN and NC, I'd say you might look into Charlotte. My in-laws recently moved to Raleigh, and they have the moderate temps, but then have snow in the winter. That might just be your perfect blend of accent, weather, hospitality ect... I envy you having the freedom to choose like that! I hope we get to move eventually!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: But you live in Georgia? new
      #225716 - 11/17/05 11:54 AM
anlikerm

Oh, my husband got out of the navy 1 year before I did and he found a job down here and moved. We were apart for 4 months until I got out and then I moved down here....both times that I have gotten sick was in the middle of the summer. I do believe the heat and humidity is really what sets me off, down here. I'm sure there are other factors like stress and stuff, but the heat makes me really nauseous and then I panic and have IBS Attacks and it goes downhill from there!!
It sucks!!
I'm ready to move!!
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Re: CHARLOTTE CHARLOTTE CHARLOTTE!!!!!!! new
      #225718 - 11/17/05 11:58 AM
anlikerm

I worked in Raleigh for a year and lived in Wilmington. That 2 hour drive got old after a year and I quit that job and moved to Miami!! I didn't really like Raleigh all that much. For 1, I hate that inner belt, outer belt thing. But, there are sooooo many places to shop!!!! That was the one good thing that I did like about it. I think I was spoiled living in Wilmington and having Wrightsville Beach at my back door (literally, I lived one street back from the sand)! It was awesome!!! OH, those were my college days........

Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

#225732 - 11/17/05 12:41 PM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Hi Ruchie!
My thoughts:
VA is nice but where I live (northern VA) cost of living is WAY too high. I went to highschool in southern VA and it is better. My husband and I love VA Beach and we've considered moving there sometime. I also have Jewish freinds there, and I know there's a good community in that area. It does get humid sometimes - but close to the water it is always a bit better.

Other spots I've lived:

Missiissippi: VERY hot and humid, no snow, but hurricanes. Very hospitable, but I don't know about a Jewish community there - it's kind of WASPY. (no offense to anyone who lives there)!

England - cold and wet - fun - but cold and wet.

Colorado Springs - LOTS of snow in winter, but weather is nice in the summer and it's consistently dry. Nice people, but I did miss the Southern hospitality!

Pennsylvania - The weather gets cold and snowy in the winter, but not as humid as VA in the summer. I have not yet found a city in PA that I consider a nice city (although I've never been to Pittsburg - Philadelphia is not clean and not very safe, the same with Reading, closer to where my parents now live)

San Francisco is great if you want a place that is ALWAYS around 50 to 80 degrees, rarely lower, rarely higher. Good food, nice cultural atmosphere and freindly people - but there are some parts of the city that arn't that safe.

Good luck Ruchie and anyone else who's looking!

Min

a few thoughts... new
      #225743 - 11/17/05 01:09 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I Love this area.. but I don't think it will meet your needs completely.. though your hubby would find work.. the summer gets hot and we get a lot of snow.. I don't know if he could find work in Cleveland, but that has another sizeable jewish community and good weather...

Mom and dad love Atlanta but it may be too Humid for you... though there is a lot of Jewish Community and if I routed you to my folks mom would love to help you all get settled in with the community. I am sure from the amount of new building going ont here you'd have no problem finding work..

Another option, but not sure of the Jewish Community stuff would be somewhere Desert- Like Phoenix. Bill still talks about wanting to move back out there since the arrid air was so good on his asthma.

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Ruchie new
      #225748 - 11/17/05 01:28 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Yes, there is a big Jewish community here. My former next door neighbors are Jewish, and they are very active in their temple. She works in the gift shop there, their son just went to Israel with the youth group, and I know the temple has a fantastic brand new recreation center.

I can direct you to information on that, if you are interested.

And thanks for your sweet comments on the pic.

So are you moving back to NC? new
      #225751 - 11/17/05 01:45 PM
Augie

Is the humidity lower their? What city would you move to?

From what Michelle posted, it doesn't sound like Charlotte is any less hot or less humidity.

--------------------
~ Beth

where would you move to Bamagrl? new
      #225754 - 11/17/05 01:51 PM
Augie

Did you like Raleigh or Charlotte better than the other states you mentioned? Is the humidity less?

--------------------
~ Beth

Do you know anything about Roanoke? new
      #225755 - 11/17/05 01:54 PM
Augie

Have you ever been to that part of Virginia?

Quote:

Viginia gets hot and humid summers, and cold winters with ice and snow.

Is this true for Roanoke too?

Do you think you will back there once you are done with school?

--------------------
~ Beth

Are you going to stay in Boston after you graduate?-nt new
      #225756 - 11/17/05 01:58 PM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Are you going to stay in Boston after you graduate new
      #225759 - 11/17/05 02:03 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

To be honest I have no idea!

I have to decide that now because I need to start looking for an internship!

It is totally dependent on many things. I was thinking about looking into philly, and/or the chapel hill north carolina area. Although, my friends and potential relationship are here which makes me less likely to want to move away.

I'm definitly trying to figure it out!

--------------------

I have cousins in Roanoke, Beth... new
      #225760 - 11/17/05 02:06 PM
Snow for Sarala

So if you want info. let me know

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: So are you moving back to NC? new
      #225762 - 11/17/05 02:15 PM
anlikerm

I lived in Biscoe. I never remember Biscoe being this humid (like Atlanta). I was hardly ever sick and our weather is awesome. All the cities around us get the bad weather. We're in a valley, so we hardly ever get bad weather.

But, unfortunately, we're moving to Oxford, NC. It is further north, which is good because we should get the cooler weather. It's really close to Virginia. I have never been there before but I used to drive by it all the time when I was going back and forth from my parent's house to Norfolk, VA where I was stationed in the Navy. So, we'll see.

I have to get out of here. I got sick one month after moving down here and my husband got sick for 3 weeks as soon as he moved down here, too. They call it the Georgia "funk". I don't know what it is, but I have not gotten over it YET, and we've been here two years!!

Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Re: How's your IBS, Ashley?? Are you stable, now?? -nt- new
      #225764 - 11/17/05 02:16 PM
anlikerm

--------------------
Unstable

#225765 - 11/17/05 02:23 PM
steather

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Hey Ruchie,

I just wanted to mention that you might want to stay away from very humid places, depending on how your fibro reacts! I was forced to leave Raleigh (NC) on account of my fibro getting WAY out of control there. The humidity was horrendous, I was laid up for weeks at a time, and the RAIN! Oh my goodness! (Remember, I'm from dry AZ)... Everytime it would rain, I could barely get out of bed. This all affected my mood too, of course. Since moving back to AZ, I've FELT so much better. My allergies aren't wreaking as much havoc either.

So take into account your health!!!

**Hugs**

--------------------
Heather

"Quod me Nutrit me Destruit"

Re: I have cousins in Roanoke, Beth... new
      #225766 - 11/17/05 02:24 PM
anlikerm

I didn't like Virginia. It was REALLY REALLY humid....I lived in Norfolk, on the ship. The mosquitoes were HORRIBLE!!! Every time we would go out at 5:00am and run our 5 miles, the mosquitoes were already out biting!! OH, it was horrible. I couldn't sit outside at all during the summer. I don't EVER remember sitting outside in the 3 years that I was stationed there. I will never forget that humidity and the MOSQUITOES!! I cannot stand those little blood-sucking things! They would eat right through my bug repellant. I hope Oxford, NC isn't going to be like that. Wilmington, NC wasn't like that. The winds were always REALLY strong there and blew away most of the bugs!! yooohooo!!! I don't like bugs.......

The only problem with that was I could never carry an umbrella without the wind taking it from me and my hair was always in my face. Even on the UNCW campus. The wind was horrible. Especially in the winter. I would freeze to death and almost blow away as I would be walking to my classes. Okay, I'm done rambling now.....thanks for reading!

Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Re: My husband is from New Mexico...... new
      #225767 - 11/17/05 02:31 PM
anlikerm

And I went over there with him, finally, last July and I did not have one attack over there!!! It was amazing. His mom and dad have been out there forever because his mom has Lupus and she cannot live on the east coast or she will be debilitated, literally. She came over last September for a month long visit and got pretty sick by the time she left. As soon as she got away from the east coast weather and back into the desert, she was fine! Isn't that amazing!??? My husband actually talked to me about moving out there if my health would turn around for the better like it did last year. I felt wonderful over there!
I'm glad it is working for you, too!! My grandfather had ulcerative colitis and he moved to Arizona and he never had a problem with it ever again until he moved over here to NC to be closer to us. He had one more spell before he passed away of a heart attack, but he was so stable he was able to get over it pretty quickly. The desert sure does seem to have amazing affects on the human body, doesn't it????
Best Wishes!
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

I wish the desert made me feel better new
      #225774 - 11/17/05 02:46 PM
Snow for Sarala

That's part of why hubby and I moved here!!

*sigh*

I guess not everything works for every body

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Michelle's rambles are actually hidden codes new
      #225785 - 11/17/05 03:04 PM
Snow for Sarala

What are you REALLY trying to tell us

Seriously, I LOVE hearing stories about you in the NAVY...I just think it's so great that you took initiative and did something so important to you!

You were a pilot!!! WOW! How did you get into flying? How did you decide to join the NAVY?

I wanna hear more rambles, ok

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: How's your IBS, Ashley?? Are you stable, now?? new
      #225791 - 11/17/05 03:22 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Hey..

I'm not 100% stable, but I deal with it.

I've learned to not let it get me down, and ruin my quality of life. I find that when I'm busier moving around and getting stuff done my ibs affects me a lot less.

Anyways.. I still get D and avoid certain foods, but its nothing a little immodium can't help with for the most part!

--------------------

OK Le'ts all move and be Michelle's neighbor! new
      #225805 - 11/17/05 03:44 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

We could start an IBS commune! Har har

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

#225831 - 11/17/05 04:39 PM
anlikerm

Awesome! Great Attitude! I'm glad you're just living about your life and not worrying about it. It truely isn't worth it......I am freaking out because of my hiatal hernia more than my IBS-D. Well, the doctor's have me on so much stuff for my stomach now that my BM's are pretty normal. So, once I can eat again.....I WILL BE GETTING SUPER FAT!!!!
hehehehehe.......
Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

Re: I'm in! hehehehe......-nt- new
      #225833 - 11/17/05 04:40 PM
anlikerm

--------------------
Unstable

Re: Michelle's rambles are actually hidden codes new
      #225838 - 11/17/05 04:49 PM
anlikerm

hehehehehe......I ramble on about the Navy because I miss it so much.....it was a structured life and I need that structure. I didn't focus on anything else except my work, my Physical training, and my chain of command. I miss the structure!! I have no structure in my life anymore and it stresses me out and here I am now, sick with IBS.....:(

My mom tells me that if I re-enlisted, all my medical problems would just vanish because I wouldn't have time to worry about it. I don't know about all that!......

No, I wasn't a pilot~ I was an air traffic controller. We control the pilots in the air. We're the ones that sit in the towers at the airports and the radar rooms. After some of the stuff I have witnessed in the Navy, I really don't like to fly......we had a plane crash in the water, we had a kid get run over by a plane on the flight deck of the ship, another kid got hit in the head with a prop from a E-2 (He died 2 hours later). Very scary stuff. I loved it......

I'm sorry. I miss that life....but my marriage is more important to me and my husband really hated the Navy and didn't want anything to do with it.

Now, I need a hug!! sniff, sniff, sniff.....

Thanks for listening, Ruch!! You're the best.

Michelle

--------------------
Unstable

#225856 - 11/17/05 06:21 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

aww thanks! I definitly still have attacks, but I never let them stop me unless they are beyond bearable (which usually isn't the case- I think with my IBS comes a HIGH pain tolerance, so my cramps hurt, but not enough to debilitate me). Anyways.. i've had my share of D in a target bathroom, the mall, or at TJMaxx... but thats what bathrooms are there for

--------------------

wow! new
      #225867 - 11/17/05 06:53 PM
Augie

Maybe I'll put Tucson and Chandler AZ back on the list and also Albuquerque and Los Cruces NM.

--------------------
~ Beth

Are you still taking the Fiber Choice? new
      #225869 - 11/17/05 07:03 PM
Augie

Is it helping you?

--------------------
~ Beth

Oh yes. please! new
      #225870 - 11/17/05 07:07 PM
Augie

Do you know how the weather is? the Cost of living and job market? How do they like it? Is is pretty? Are the homes and rentals resonable?

Tell me anything you know! Thank you!

--------------------
~ Beth

It might not be like that everywhere in Virginia, right?-nt new
      #225871 - 11/17/05 07:09 PM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Seriously...that cheap for a town home? new
      #225874 - 11/17/05 07:13 PM
Augie

The town homes here are over 200 thousand...going over 400 thousand. Can't even get a decent 1 bedroom condo for less than 120 thousand!

Housing in Chicago and suburbs is outrageous!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Right??! Me too....-nt- new
      #225875 - 11/17/05 07:14 PM
anlikerm

--------------------
Unstable

Ruchie,, I would really think about ... new
      #225876 - 11/17/05 07:15 PM
Augie

...the humidity factor and your Fibro. I don't think that would be such a great combo, would it?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Probably not......:) -nt- new
      #225877 - 11/17/05 07:15 PM
anlikerm

--------------------
Unstable

Re: Are you still taking the Fiber Choice? new
      #225893 - 11/17/05 08:44 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

hi,

I can't tell yet, i'm only doing one tab a day. I keep meaning to work up to more, but its easy to forget about it sometimes. I definitly need to be more regimented about it. I just got outta the habit of taking it daily since I quit the acacia a few months back.

--------------------

Edited by spicey813 (11/17/05 08:45 PM)

#225901 - 11/17/05 10:04 PM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

I know a place that's temperate and doesn't get much humidity (although you'll miss out on snow)...

WELLINGTON, NEW ZEALAND!!!

I haven't lived outside NZ, so realistically I probably won't be much help. But we have cool accents and beautiful scenery!
Cost of living must be ok, cause I can afford to rent my own place with no flatmates at 25 years old. I know a Jewish guy called Dave... and there's a Jewish temple and school a 15 minute walk from my house (but ok, I have no idea about the Jewish community).

Go on! Move to NZ! I'm here!!

--------------------
*Emma*

#225928 - 11/18/05 04:41 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Hey, Ashley. I'm with you re: your IBS attitude.

Most days, the D doesn't get in the way and cramp my style.

I play it really safe, food-wise, too, generally. Ditto for eating situations. When I do hypno. and yoga and meditate it's better, too--heck I'm better.

But mostly, Immodium does half the battle for me. And a nightly dose of fiber, too!

Kate.

About Virginia new
      #225944 - 11/18/05 07:17 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I can't comment really on housing prices, but I can comment on weather in most of the state. I'm from Richmond, but my grandparents live in Newport News, and my dad drives all over the state for his job.

Virginia gets hot and humid over the summer, across pretty much the whole state. It's not as bad in the western portion of the state because of the mountains. It does get cold and snowy and icy, but not as much on the coast.

Roanoke is a slightly smaller city than Richmond, it's closer to the mountains, so it doesn't get quite as hot, but still about the same, and it gets colder and a bit more snow and ice usually.

To mosquito problem is pretty much across the state, and really depends more on how well you make sure there's no standing water more so than anything else.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Still hot/humid in Mt's new
      #225949 - 11/18/05 07:20 AM
ecmmbm

I lived in Lynchburg for YEARS - it's beautiful but the mountains really don't do a thing for the humiditiy, it's still there, and unless you're on TOP of a mountain on a nice breezy day.. it's still hot as heck in the midst of summer. Just a fact in the southeast!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

Re: About Virginia new
      #225951 - 11/18/05 07:27 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

My parents live in fairfax county VA, and it is quite expensive (as mindyj said), and continues to go up. In fact, the Brownstone they bought 4 years ago has raised in value by 200,000 dollars in only 4 short years. HOwever, they live really close to DC, which is probably why it is so expensive.

Other areas of the state are much cheaper. My brother lives in Blacksburg Va (over in the mountains where its less hot and humid, and they were able to buy a 4 bedroom condo for 100,000 dollars). (Here is boston you couldn't buy a 1/2 a bedroom condo for that much). oh and they've definitly got the accents in blacksburg hahah

Also, VA beach is really affordable as well. My parents were looking for a summer house, and are considering there. Although its not extremely cheap, its cheap considering its beachfront property compared to many other places like that. We looked at a beachfront property with three bedrooms for about 300,000. (of course the best time to buy a house on/or near the beach is in the winter, bc the prices decrease dramatically).

Richmond is gorgeous and artsy and a really fun place. I don't think that roanoke is quite as fun, but you could still check it out.

--------------------

Re: New Zealand!!! That is soooo cool!! I'm jealous! -nt- new
      #225955 - 11/18/05 07:31 AM
anlikerm

--------------------
Unstable

Hey Steather!!! new
      #225960 - 11/18/05 07:41 AM
Snow for Sarala

Hi there!

It's so super to hear from you! *hugs*

That's a big part of why Denver is so big on ourlist! It has a great well-established community and dry air But we don't want to miss any part of the country hence this post...

How are you doing these days?? I cannot tell you how nice it is to see you posting! I sent you an e-mail ages ago...I hope you got it! Sending you tons of love and happy days

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Mosquitoes new
      #225961 - 11/18/05 07:43 AM
Snow for Sarala

Well, my poor hubby gets bit in ARIZONA....so I cannot imagone what would happen to him in VA!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Scructure new
      #225962 - 11/18/05 07:50 AM
Snow for Sarala

I know what you mean. I wish my life were more structured. I've read it's helpful for women with bipolar to have structure....I work on creating it for myself but it's not easy to follow up on this! Esp. when I'm rapid cycling the way I have been these past few weeks

What was the structure like/ What was a typical day? Maybe you can somehow find a structure based on the structure you used to have (I know it's not the same when you don't HAVE to do it though, right?) Perhaps you could report in to me COMMANDER RUCHIE ...or to the fitness boards?

At least you recognize you miss it *hugs*

I'm not so sure everything would go away! People tell me haing kids would make all my probs go away...don't think so!

hmmm..i'm the one rambling now me thinks....

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#225964 - 11/18/05 07:55 AM
Snow for Sarala

Well...there's supposed to be a fabulous Jewish Community in Australia (would have to find out what parts!) What I need to know is:

Are there architect positions available for high-end residential? What are the cultural differences? It might be something to consider! Are there work visas involved?? Hmmmm....we completely forgot AUSTRALIA!!!

Thanks Emma...let me know more *hugs*

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Hey Steather!!! new
      #225965 - 11/18/05 08:00 AM
steather

Hi Ruchie!!! Thanks for thinking of me, you're such a sweetheart. It's been a long recovery here in AZ, but I'm starting to feel like my old self Like you, though, I get so bogged by emails, so sometimes it takes a while to respond...

I would highly recommend Denver to you! Personally, CO and AZ are the top two places to live on my list...I lived in Boulder, CO for a summer, and am thinking about transferring there for school in a year or two (after I finish my bit in Raleigh). Like you said, it's dry, it's more temperate than most cold-weather places (they still get snow though, which I'm not too fond of), and it's got the ammenities of most big cities. Plus my best friend EVER lives in Superior (a suburb outside of Denver), so that's a huge factor. I went and visited him there in August, and kept kicking myself for not going to school there in the first place!

Plus, the mountains in CO are simply gorgeous. You can't beat the Rocky landscape...

Haha, your husband must be like me. I git eaten alive by mosquitoes too! Even in Phoenix, where there are NO mosquitoes...they somehow track me down!

--------------------
Heather

The desert is magical, in its own way... new
      #225967 - 11/18/05 08:12 AM
steather

Hi Michelle! Wow, it's SO good to hear that I'm not making any of this up! Everyone (my family, professors, friends) thinks that it's not possible to go from being COMPLETELY debilitated in NC, to walking around and enjoying life again in AZ!! I still have my fibro flare-ups (mostly stress related now though), but I can walk and drive and type again! It's crazy! I didn't realize what an impact the environment would have on me, since I've lived in the desert all my life... I guess I was lucky, or else I would have been in alot more pain than I already was for most of my life!!

Two thumbs up for the desert!

--------------------
Heather

Re: where would you move to Bamagrl? new
      #225975 - 11/18/05 08:42 AM
bamagirl

I've never actually LIVED in the Carolinas, but from when I've been there in the summer - awsome fourth of July concert up in the mountains! - it's still pretty humid. Just not quite as hot as AL or GA.

Me, I guess my family will stay in AL now that we're here. But oh, I do love the Blue Ridge Mountains!!! Ahhhhh!!!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Michelle - this is neat!! new
      #225976 - 11/18/05 08:49 AM
bamagirl

My husband served in the Army, and he misses it too! But, like you, he chose his family first. We spent a wonderful 5 years on active duty, but it was time to rejoin civillian life. He still calls everyone "civillians" just like it was a disease! I keep telling him he is one! Ha! Ha! Military is a truly unique lifestyle!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Steather? new
      #226051 - 11/18/05 12:34 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Did it help your GI problems too? Or just the Fibro? I don't have fibro but am wondering if a dry climate might help the GI distress?

Thanks!

Re: Steather?-bump for Steather-nt new
      #226503 - 11/21/05 12:38 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Re: Steather? new
      #226518 - 11/21/05 01:29 PM
steather

Cyndy,

Sorry, I didn't see this before...To be perfectly honest, my GI problems and my fibro are so interrelated that I really don't think I can answer this objectively for you! My fibro improves drastically in the dry climate...and therefore my IBS doesn't act up as much....but to say whether the weather has a direct impact on my IBS?? No clue. I DO know that this weather is great for people with all SORTS of ailments. I.e. allergies -- I didnt even realize I had allergies until I went to NC, and was PLAGUED by them!

Sorry I can't be of more help regarding this

--------------------
Heather

New York City BABY! new
      #226662 - 11/22/05 09:51 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I know it's not practical or realistic, just want it in there.

Re: New York City BABY! new
      #226671 - 11/22/05 10:23 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

Yeah man, the BIG APPLE rocks. I have done a lot of traveling in my life, in the South and the West but nother ever compares to my city. Yup, another NY quality, arrogance!

--------------------

When are you moving?-nt new
      #227116 - 11/24/05 07:15 PM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

But NY is so outrageously expensive! new
      #227121 - 11/24/05 07:18 PM
Augie

The cost of living is so high, including rentals and homes, isn't it. Plus, the cost of everything in general is high. Plus, the job outlook isn't too hot either.

If it weren't for those two factors, I'd seriously consider moving to NY! I just don't know how people can afford to live there.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Before the humidity sets in next spring!!! -nt- new
      #227124 - 11/24/05 07:30 PM
anlikerm

--------------------
Unstable

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 554 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 29645

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review