All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
CHARLOTTE CHARLOTTE CHARLOTTE!!!!!!! new
      #225667 - 11/17/05 09:46 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Charlotte, NC - of course! It's beautiful, everything you'd want in a big city, but all the suburbs are still cozy and fun and there are a LOT of nice people here (hint hint hint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Honestly, I hope I live here till my grandkids are comign to visit!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Tell me more, tell me more, new
      #225670 - 11/17/05 09:50 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

what does big city mean? Tell me more, tell me more, are the winters/summers real mean?

What do you like about it there so much? Will I hear a real southern drawl round there? Are the summers humid...winters frigid?

Can you compare it for me to say Boston?

The best thing it has going for it is YOU Michelle! *hugs*

Thanks for posting...can't wait to hear back :-)

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

okay I'll try new
      #225672 - 11/17/05 10:00 AM
ecmmbm

It's very hot/humid in the summer, I won't lie to you, but I've never lived anywhere that wasn't. Have access to a pool and you'll stay there all summer long, like we do! (I just reread that humid summers make you sick, that might be a show-stopper here, it does get hot/humid but just FYI that would rule out the ENTIRE southeast so there goes your southern charm too!)

Winter is not bad - one winter we had an ice storm, and it does get cold, but not gobs of snow or anything. I actually like that we GET a little of all 4 seasons, if that makes sense.

By big city I mean that if I want to go to uptown I can enjoy gorgeous skyline, lovely street cafes, a Broadway show, NFL football, NBA basketball, all the shopping of any major city, a great chidlren's museum, etc etc etc. There's tons to do. Also GREAT parks and places to bike, etc, lots of outdoorsy people here and I love that.

That help????????

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

Edited by ecmmbm (11/17/05 10:04 AM)

Re: Where to move, which place to go (EDITED!!) new
      #225675 - 11/17/05 10:07 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

Hey Ruchie!

I'll try to give you some advice. Throughout my childhood we moved ALOT! I've lived in Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, Colorado, Chicago, Tennessee, Denver Colorado, Pennsylvania, and now my parents live in virginia. Primarily, I lived in Mass and Connecticut though (three different times, three different places).

New England is great, but it is humid in the summer and cold in the winter.

As for connecticut, Its also very nice, but a little pricey. You'll have to check it out, and see what you think.

My favorite place that I've ever lived was pittsburgh Pa, but thats pretty much the same weather we get up in boston. (same as places in ohio).

Virginia is really nice, only a tiny bit of snow, and warm summers. They still have four seasons though. When I go home for christmas i'm always wearing a sweater etc.

As for colorado, that was really fun too. The view out of our front door was of the rockies which was gorgeous. The weather there is a little more mild year round from what I remember.

Can your hubby find a job in all of these places?
I'm actually going to AZ for xmas this year. My grandma lives in sun city west, and we're going out there to celebrate with her.

--------------------

Ruchie, thanks for asking this! new
      #225686 - 11/17/05 10:21 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I too am looking to move someplace new. What I'm looking for is a place that has mild climate, low cost of living, and a good job market.

Any recommendations? I want to move out of Illinois, I think.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Hubby is an architect... new
      #225687 - 11/17/05 10:23 AM
Snow for Sarala

so of course jobs will be crucial! He only does high end residential, no commercial, so it's not the easiest to find depending on the location. AZ was a breeze! Miami was a dud.

Denver is sounding more and more plausible...

Thanks for the advice *hugs* ENJOY AZ!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Well, more on selling Charlotte new
      #225688 - 11/17/05 10:26 AM
ecmmbm

The banks are always hiring here like crazy, I don't know about anyone else, but the population here is booming just because the banks alone keep hiring hiring hiring... everyone I know works at Wachovia or B of A.

Cost of living is a lot less that what I hear tell in Cali and NY and New England. Townhomes and nice 3 BR homes are available all over for the 120'-150's range, brand new. Of course there are plenty of million dollar homes out there too but we admire those from the other side of the gated entrance, ha!!!!!!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

Re: Ruchie, thanks for asking this! new
      #225689 - 11/17/05 10:28 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I didn't like Illinois, either. I was born in Peoria and our family lived in North Pekin until I was 10. Dad had to go on Strike with Caterpillar and we moved to North Carolina because we were sinking. Best decision we ever made. I love NC and cannot wait to get back up there in the Spring. I will never leave, ever again!!
Come on Down, Beth!!
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

I was considering Roanoke, Virginia new
      #225690 - 11/17/05 10:28 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Never been there, but it scored high in the three areas that are most important to me. I checked out the book "Cities Ranked and Rated". It's a great Resource! Ranks over 350 cities on 8 important areas like economy/jobs, cost of living, climate, eduation, health care, leisure, arts/culture, transportation.

Roanoke scored 11th best city over-overall....but pretty high on all 3 factors I'm specifically looking for.

I hight recommend checking this book out. The aurthor is Sanders. It full of so much info...from cost of apartments, food, number of libraries, crime, etc.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: okay I'll try new
      #225691 - 11/17/05 10:31 AM
Snow for Sarala

Sounds like a DREAm...minus the weather humidity...

Def something to look into further! Any knowledge of a Jewish Community anywhere?? Let me know!!! I would sooo not mind living in the same locale as you and BL!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 558 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 29779

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review