All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
Michele - how are the twins today? Update please! -nt-
      #223496 - 11/07/05 08:26 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

where are you girl?? new
      #223509 - 11/07/05 09:55 AM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

I hope your not to sick today! Hope you and the babies are doing good!

Take care hon!

HUGS

--------------------

Re: Had genetic counslers appt today new
      #223510 - 11/07/05 10:02 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

They called and moved my appt up a week so WIll and I met with the genetic counsler this morning. Its a very depressing appointment! Basically at my age (35) I have a 1/200 chance of having a baby with Downs. This is soley based on age. Neither WIll or I have any genetic "issues" in our families. What it boils down to is this, they won't do CVS on identical twins unless I drive an hour to a hospital in down town detroit because the procedure is difficult. They can do CVS at this other hospital between 10-12 weeks. It will ONLY show a genectic disorder like Downs, not any of the spinabifida (sp?) disorders. The CVS is done similiar to amnio but they are taking out a piece of the placentato test instead of the amnioctic fluid. If we wait to do amnio, it can't be done until at least the 16th week. Either test takes 2 weeks for the results. So, if amnio showed a problem, I would be 18 weeks MINIMUM. At which time, if I decided to terminate one or both of the babies, they would give them a solution to stop there hearts and then induce labor and make me deliver my dead babies. Umm, no. Don't think I could do that at all.

The amnio itself has the same chance of causing me to miscarry from the procedure, than the chance of my baby actually having something wrong. So, as it stands right this second, I don't think I'll be doing any of the genetic testing.

I'm feeling pretty rough. I spent a lot of time on the couch this weekend. I did get to Motherhood and bought a few pairs of pants and a couple fo long sleeve t-shirt things that were on sale. The maternity pants are so much more comfortable then my regular pants! I'm already starting to get VERY thick in the middle and stick out a bit! I read that the women carrying twins will measure at 28 weeks as big as a women carrying a single baby at 40 weeks!! I'm going to be a house!! LOL!!!

So, now we go in tomorrow for the high definition ultrasound and than hopefully I can get in to see the high risk dr's. I'm a bit frustrated because the RE won't really discus anything pregnancy related right now because that isn't her job. The regular obgyns don't want to take me because I'm too high risk and the high risk dr's are dragging there feet about letting me into there practice! Very, very frustrating!! If I don't have an actual doctor for the pregnancy by the end of the week, I'm going to have to start getting nasty!

Ok, I just had a call from Rachel and she had her baby! Everything is good, she asked me to post details for her so I'm going to start another thread for her!!! YAY!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

No one can tell you what to do but I opted out of these tests... new
      #223513 - 11/07/05 10:09 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

There is such a high false positive that I've had MANY friends worrying over issues that came up "possible" in tests, that never came to be true at all once the baby was born. My conclusion was that there was nothing that would make me terminate the pregnancy, and that I was taking utmost care of myself regardless, so besides ultrasounds I opted out of the others, and you do have that option, it's up to you. I would rejoice and not worry over odds if I were you!! What were the odds you'd have these babies at all? And you've beat those! Thank you Lord!!

Big hugs to the sick Mommy, I feel for ya, I was sick all 9 mos - no first trimester stuff for me. But you won't even remember it, I promise.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Re: No one can tell you what to do but I opted out of these tests... new
      #223517 - 11/07/05 10:14 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Thanks Michelle. The screening tests DO have a high rate for false positive but if you actually have amnio or CVS the false positive rate is les than 1%. But, I'm of the same mindset as you, I don't think they could tell me anything to make me terminate so why subject me and my babies to the procedures? I'll continue to have ultrasounds and if something seems odd there than I can re-evaluate but until then, I'm just going to assume that my babies are healthy!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#223525 - 11/07/05 10:32 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

I am with Michelle...if for some act of God (and it would have to be an act of GOD! 0 we get pregnant, I won't do any of those tests. Nothing would make me decide to terminate the pregnancy so I would spend lots of time worrying. Remember I am 42 so I know they would hound me to do all of that for sure.

I have the strangest feeling that I will be pregnant at 44. Not sure why but the feeling doesn't go away!

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Re: Is the test painful?? new
      #223527 - 11/07/05 10:46 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I'm 30 and haven't had children yet, and I'm hoping to become stable enough to have kids by the time I'm your age. So, I was just wondering if it's a painful test?? Or just blood test or something like that..

Congratulations to you, too! I don't believe I have told you, yet. I'm new to the boards.

Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

#223529 - 11/07/05 10:47 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Hi Michele! I hope they get you a regular doctor SOON! Geez. Start being pushy! :P

And - like everyone else, I would definately NOT worry about your babies having any problems - that can only make things worse! Keep thinking about your healthy babies! I would definately opt out of the tests if you can. There is no reason to make you worry. I cringe at the thought of an amnio!

Now I have to go read your post on Rachel! Woo hoo!

--------------------
~Cara~

Amnio... new
      #223532 - 11/07/05 10:54 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

I guess it would depend on your pain tolerance...
for an amnio, you lay on the table, they clean your tummy...use an ultrasound to monitor/watch your baby...and stick a long thin hollow needle into your belly and through the amniotic wall and into the sac of fluid around your baby. That fluid is what they take out....the baby will make more, but it still can be very dangerous. It takes ahwile, and someone REALLY experienced should do it.

I've heard people complain of cramping and pinching pain...I would think it would hurt to stick that long of a needle into your belly....but I don't know and hopefully never will!

--------------------
~Cara~

Me too...watched too many false positives worry folks sick! new
      #223536 - 11/07/05 11:04 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I know you will do what is best for you and your precious ones!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 795 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 41073

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review