All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
help!! i'm sick and prego...
      #222497 - 11/01/05 09:34 AM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

i was told i have bacteria in my urine,...not alot, just a little, so they said that i may have strep b...but not fully sure right now, they want to treat it first...so the doc i don't ususally see prescribed me some meds. he didn't really seem to have any concern or knowedge of ibs problems....but it's making me sick, like big time sick, i have like 4 or 5 bm a day....my tummy cramps, like not ibs cramps that i ususally get, but like my gut is going to explode, so im doubled over....and i'm gassy, and crampy and sick...the pharmisist seems kinda amazed that a doc would give me what he did for my condition, she said i was deffinatly going to get sick, and probably get ayeast infection too. i haven't gotten that yet...but i am sick as you can be...ok not that sick..i have to take caphalexin 500 mg 4 times a day for 10 days, i've taken it 4 days, but 2 tablets, other wise i'd be completely sick..so i'm thinking of holding off until i see my reg doctor on the 14th and see if she can give me somthing different, she has more understanding of my sicknesses because shes my ob and my g.i. which i lucked out bit time!!!! does that seem right to do? i can't work if i stay on it....i know it's not just morning sickness either..because it's a lower pain..help??

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: help!! i'm sick and prego... new
      #222499 - 11/01/05 09:38 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

If it's making you that sick, it's possible you're not absorbing the drugs right. To be honest, I'd stop taking it straight away and take loads of probiotics until you can see your doc. If you told her office quite how sick you are, do you think you could get in there earlier?

#222503 - 11/01/05 09:48 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I agree with Linz. I'd stop taking it right now and call the dr's office and tell them you need to be seen by your regular dr and soon!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#222505 - 11/01/05 09:54 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Hey Lyndsey! I'm sorry you're not feeling well! Not good when you're already feeling lousy due to morning sickness . Hugs!

I am wondering though... are you being treated for a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection) or Group B Strep? The strep bacteria (according to my dr) is something that is very very common during pregnancy, but isn't usually treated until labor & delivery, and it doesn't usually have any symptoms associated with it. From what I've read and have been told, you're tested for it toward the end of your pregnancy (usually around week 36). I was just tested for it last week (I was 36 weeks and 5 days). My test came out positive, but I won't be treated until the day I go in for delivery.

Also, I was just diagnosed with a UTI (which made me sick to my stomach and kind of flu-ish) and they gave me the same antibiotics that you've been prescribed. Were you feeling ill before taking the prescription? The reason I ask is, a lot of general practitioners don't understand that there's normally a little amount of bacteria in your urine due to being pregnant, and it's been found that they unnessecarily treat what they call UTI's. That's not to say that you don't have one, but I agree that you should consult your OB about it if you're concerned.

As for the antibiotics that you're on, supposedly Cephalexin is the best and easiest to take during a pregnancy... little to no side effects. I think you should keep taking it until ypu're for sure that you don't have a UTI because if you do, it can cause problems with your pregnancy and possibly lead to a miscarriage. Can you call your OB's office and get in right away for a urinalysis?

I hope you start feeling better soon! It's so discouraging feeling the morning sickness and having other things make it worse!

HUGS HUGS HUGS!

PS - One thing to help what side effects you are having is to take it with food... that is if you're not already. At least that's what's helped me.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Edited by RachelT (11/01/05 09:57 AM)

rachel... new
      #222551 - 11/01/05 11:42 AM
Lyndsey

no i don't have a uti, i've had one once like a year and a half ago or so....it sounded like it wasn't strep b just extra bacteria....and he was a bit unclear, so i'm going to stop until i talk to my ob...the doc i saw was an ob...but he seemed not so knowing...and then i was worried about if the drugs could affect the baby...i'm all freaked out...and from what i've read, i've just seen they treat you for it durring delievery....and test later on..so i don't know...he better not have hurt my baby!!

linz new
      #222554 - 11/01/05 11:43 AM
Lyndsey

i have county..so probalby not....i hate my insurance....it really sucks....they would probalby send me to another doc not my own...and i want MY DOCTOR!!! good call for if i had god insurence though!!

#222556 - 11/01/05 11:44 AM
Lyndsey

could the drugs hurt baby? i'm all freaked out man!!!!!!!!!!!!

#222559 - 11/01/05 11:49 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I don't think the antibiotics will hurt the baby. If you have D and don't stay hydrated though, that could cause problems!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#222580 - 11/01/05 01:03 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

First if your concerned call your dr. That is why they are there and if nothing else they can either tell you to stop or give you something else. Secondly, I have had my share of infections during pregnancy. I have a bacteria that they treated with my second but never did with the other three. At the time they wanted to have it cleared up but I wasn't allowed to take antibiotics till the 2nd trimester. Having said that, it was 6 years ago. The other thing is that I have had Group B strep with 2 of my pregnancies. They didn't tell me with one of them but I knew about it with my last one. The only concern was that if my water broke I need antibiotics so I had to go straight to the hospital. They were even catious when I started early labor 10 days before she was born and sent me to the hospital. I ended up coming home but I felt safer knowing if I was in labor there wouldn't be a problem. Oh and I have never had bacteria in my urine other than a uti. The strep b test is a culture taken from the cervix. I would call and ask for specifics on what is going on. This is your baby and you don't need to worry about this.

#222585 - 11/01/05 01:25 PM
Lyndsey

ok, i'm just stopping for now, i'll wait....i feel that's the safest until i talk to my regular doctor...i'd call my doctor, but i can't, i can only get the advise nurse..i have really bad insurance....

Probiotics new
      #222595 - 11/01/05 01:55 PM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

I would definitely get some probiotics in you. I have been taking them throughout the course of my pregnancy and they have stemmed off any types of infections. ( I am 36 wks along now) They should help you regain the stable tummy and help build up your immune system. Try to buy a good brand from a health food store and not just something like at Wal Mart or somewhere!

Take care and feel better.

Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2217 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1225

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review