All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Re: OMG IDENTICAL TWINS!!!!!!!!!!!! new
      #221466 - 10/26/05 01:03 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

You are so full of surprises Michele.

I'm really happy for you!

Like Ashely asked, how can they tell they are identical twins so early? When is your due date?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I second that! new
      #221467 - 10/26/05 01:03 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Today's been total crap, but THIS is some totally awesome news - I squealed out loud FOR you, Michele! Freaking cool! Congratulations!!

Re: Identical vs Fraternal new
      #221486 - 10/26/05 01:44 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Let see, Identical Twins happen when only one egg is fertilized by one sperm (like a "normal" pregnancy) but for some unknown reason, that fertilized egg splits to form two complete babies with the same DNA, so yes, both will be the same sex. Fraternal Twins are the result of two eggs each getting fertilized by different sperm, basically, 2 complete, seperate babies, just like regular brothers and sisters. Fraternal twins can be the same sex or different sexes and do not have the same dna.

They can pretty much tell right away because when you look at the ultrasound, you see one big sac, which is called the corion (sp?) or placenta but inside that one sac, there are two babies. They are pretty sure my babies are each in there own amniotic sac, which is a very good thing. Babies sharing both a placenta and amniotic sac are very difficult to carry to term and usually have many more complications.

Fraternal twins are thought to be partially genectic, meaning they can run in families. Or, a lot of the time they happened because fertility drugs make you produce more than one egg. Evne though I was on fertility drugs, it has nothing to do with the kind of twins I'm carrying. They don't know why some fertilized eggs split and make two babies, its basically a fluke of nature!! A mighty good fluke if you ask me!!!

Identical twins are higher risk than fraternal twins because of the shared placenta. They are at risk of TTTS, twin-twin tranfusion syndrome and a list of other things. I don't completley understand this yet but it has something to do with one twin kind of hogging the blood supply. Some how blood vessels connect between the babies and there blood flows through eachother but only one of the babies hearts is actually pumping the blood. The mortality rate is very high, about 80%. I've never heard of this before today so I'm sure thats not the best explanation.

At this point, I'm just going with the happy news and figure we will deal with issues as they arise. I'm hoping the RE can get me into the special high risk group of dr's and hopefully they can give me some more answers!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: OMG IDENTICAL TWINS!!!!!!!!!!!!-Michele... new
      #221491 - 10/26/05 02:55 PM
JLL24

Reged: 09/23/04

Oh Michele!

That is the most wonderful news!!! You and your husband must be so excited and happy

Jenn

Oh Wow! Congrats!!! new
      #221493 - 10/26/05 03:26 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Michele,

Sorry I'm so late to respond, but I just wanted to say congrats and I'm so happy for you! What an amazing thing to have happen I read this first thing when I got up and it just cheered up my morning...you really deserve it!

Congrats!
Kelly

Re: M - how did the RE tell you it was twins? -nt- new
      #221494 - 10/26/05 03:30 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Best of luck, Michele, for your little twins! -nt- new
      #221498 - 10/26/05 04:13 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

--------------------

Grinning from ear to ear!!! new
      #221511 - 10/26/05 05:25 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

I came online precisely to see what the results of your ultrasound were, and as I was pulling up the page, I thought to myself, "I'll bet it's twins." AND IT IS!!! I am so absolutely thrilled for you. What a blessing. God is very, very good!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

You are so Blessed! Congratulations!!! -nt- new
      #221515 - 10/26/05 05:47 PM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

Congrats sweetie! new
      #221516 - 10/26/05 05:59 PM
Sailing Away

Reged: 03/31/05

I am so happy for you. What exciting news for you and the hubby. I can't wait for the next surprise.

*hugs*

-Michelle

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 70 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 20153

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review