All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I know I talk about this a lot, but.....
      #21943 - 09/29/03 10:47 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I feel so much anxiety right now. I worry about every thing no matter how large or small. It has given me headaches and made my IBS-D act up lately. I'm tired, restless, don't know what to do with my time when I'm alone. Can't concentrate on anything other that what worries me.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I know I talk about this a lot, but..... new
      #21961 - 09/29/03 11:52 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

I know how you feel about worrying. I worry about everything, and then of course, the IBS kicks in full force. I have always been a worry wart; don't know why! But, I just try to pray alot and do my yoga. That seems to help a bit. I hope that your anxiety can wane a bit for you to get back to normal. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#21990 - 09/29/03 03:36 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I agree with Christianne that yoga is great for this kind of thing. The meditation and breathing side really helps me when my brains whirling round and round with worries.

Is there anything that takes your mind off things? If I'm feeling stressed, I also like to get a bath filled with relaxing bubbles and read a light-hearted book. A guaranteed way of stopping me snapping my fiance's head off!

Also, could you go somewhere and get a massage? They can be awesome. I love pampering myself and find it so relaxing to have time when I have nothing to do but sit or lie there and maybe chat to the therapist/hairdresser/etc.

I hope you feel calmer soon.

Linz

#22002 - 09/29/03 05:10 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

I'm so sorry for you and it doesn't matter how often you talk about things. If it helps you then that's the whole idea. That's also what we are all here to try and do.

What do you do for relaxation? I find that if I can work some into every day it really helps - not straight away but long term.

The Hypno tapes really helped me with anxiety but I also love walking, meditation and yoga.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#22153 - 09/30/03 08:10 PM
KaybeeC

Reged: 03/14/03
Loc: Ohio

Hi, Nugget!

This is a great place to vent, isn't it? Everyone's so patient and kind....

Just a wee question, though, if you don't mind...

A few weeks ago, you posted "I have a secret and it scares me..." which really touched the hearts of many of us. Have you given any more thought to seeing a professional who might be able to give you some insight here? I know what it's like to have a "scary secret" - and I'm in the process right now of trying to get a more definitive diagnosis than "atypical depression" - because I think there's more to it than that, for me.

Just wanted to encourage you to not ignore or "sweep under the rug" your earlier concerns - I think your brave admission was a step in the right direction. (I may have missed some follow-up posts, so maybe this is a moot point by now, but since you mentioned the anxiety, just wondered...)

With compassion,
Kaybee C

#22191 - 10/01/03 08:49 AM
Nugget

Thank you so much for your concern and early post on prayer. I really appreciate it.

I have been through "counceling" before and it helped somewhat. But, I found myself not totally opening up and basically acting as if everything were better when it wasn't so that I would be "released from care". The councelor thought I was doing great....and I was to a certain point. But I kept that a secret. So I am a little scared to approach that treatment again for fear of disappointing people who think I am over that. I don't want anyone to know....I want to just be "magically" OK. You know what I mean? When I mention to my husband or mom, etc. that I am worried about something they both are very helpful, but tend to just say "don't worry so much" and my reply is "I wish I knew how not to worry so much."

#22207 - 10/01/03 10:39 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Nugget

Maybe it would be an idea if you forget about "not worrying" for now and concentrate on trying to be true to your feelings. Your last post reminded me of my best friend, Gemma. She has struggled for years with eating disorders and, more recently, with severe depression and suicidal tendencies. However, for ages, no one around her understood how bad the problem was, because she put on such a good act. She always said she was fine and she put on a front with therapists, etc to, like you, get out of therapy. However, this meant that she never owned up to how she felt and got pent-up, making herself more and more ill. Things reached a head after yet another suicide attempt, when her parents (who were also quite good at putting up fronts) totally broke down and were basically saying goodbye to her. Gemma has now turned a corner and she's far more open about how she feels. She isn't as bubbly and life-and-soul-of-the-party as she used to be, but she's so much healthier. She now tells people if she's having a hard time or feeling nervous about something, all things that she used to cover up, almost as if she was ashamed of not coping. For the first time in years, she has a future.

I know you're not in such a bad way as she was, but the things you are saying sound so like her. Be careful, please. The people around you would much rather you were honest than pretending to cope when you aren't. If they don't, then they don't care about you as a person.

I hope this helps in some way. We're all here for you.

Linz

#22213 - 10/01/03 10:58 AM
Nugget

Thank you for caring. It really means a lot.

It's so scary to "open up" sometimes. Many times, I'll just go talk to my dogs because I know that what I say will never go beyond them. And I do believe that animals really understand. I'm afraid of what others will think of me when I start saying how I feel and showing my true worries. I mean, sometimes my worries seem so tiny compared to what I know others are going through so why bother anyone with my worries....just keep them to myself. I'm afraid that people will think "gosh....what is she worried about? She has such a great life and always seems so happy and positive" And most of the time I am very positive, but then there are many times when the self doubt and criticism (sp?) comes into play. I am so good at making others feel good about themselves and being cheerful when they need it, but why can't I do that for myself?

#22214 - 10/01/03 11:04 AM
Nugget

I bought some yoga tapes a while back and did it on a regular basis for a while and really enjoyed it. Now it seems I never make the time for it. I feel like I should be making dinner, doing laundry or something constructive. I also love to draw and do crafts, but there again when I am doing that I tell myself that I should be doing something else around the house that will be constructive, like cleaning, yard work, etc. Let me assure you that my husband is NOT telling me to clean, etc. He tells me to do what ever I want to do and the rest can wait or he will help with it. It is ME telling myself these things. I don't know why. I use to draw, etc. all the time when I was single. What happened?

#22486 - 10/05/03 01:41 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Honey, your posts are about enough to make me cry. I have been in your shoes so many times. I've been through a couple bouts of major depression. I've been in and out of therapy for about six years, and I have yet another appointment next Wednesday. I'm on a mood stabilizer I want to change, but if I weren't on it I probably wouldn't have graduated from college or found and managed to hold a full-time job or much of anything else. And I KNOW how difficult it is to ask for help. I KNOW, because I've had to do it. I had to call my mother in another state and ask her to take off work and drive down (8 hours) and clean my dorm room and take me out to eat and go with me to therapy and help me sign paperwork allowing her to talk to my therapist in the case of an emergency. I failed a class that semester, and the next semester I only took two, yes two, classes. In other words, I barely graduated. But I'm still here, because I did what I had to do. And the very first thing I had to do was ask for help. Please, please, please do the same for yourself. E-mail me--my address is in my profile. And my thoughts are with you.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 90 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1826

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review