All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I feel like such a failure...
      #21373 - 09/21/03 06:18 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

because two weeks into this job and I've already told my boss that I am quitting. Retail is just not for me. The manager was training me to either open or close the store, and I felt really uncomfortable handling the money at the end of the day. (You're talking to someone who has a hard time balancing their checkbook.) I really have number phobia. I can't stand working with numbers and don't want the responsibility of balancing the cash register and receipts at the end of the day. Also, they expected me to get heavy pine furniture down from high up on a second shelf and I don't have the upper body strength to do that. The final straw was when I was expected to clean the entire store at the end of the evening----vacuuming the store, mopping any floors that were dirty, cleaning up the breakroom, and disenfecting the public restrooms. That was grossing me out!!!! I know I sound like a spoiled brat, but I didn't go to college to clean public bathrooms! Also, I have problems with my feet and have seen a podiatrist in the past, and standing 8 hours in heels was killing me. I could hardly walk this weekend because I was in so much pain from all the standing up I have done in the past 2 weeks. And when I got my first paycheck, I almost laughed out loud. It was so petty----my 16-year-old son is making more than me working at a golf course.
I went in this afternoon and told my boss that I didn't want to do this anymore. She tried to talk me out of it, telling me that I was the perfect addition to her management team. I felt so guilty, but stuck to my guns and told her this was not for me. She asked me if I'd work the next 2 weeks to give her time to advertise for someone else. I don't mind doing that, but it will be hard because I know they will try to talk me into staying. I don't know how to tell them without hurting their feelings that I do NOT enjoy doing this!!!
I came home and drank 2 glasses of wine and ate all this junk food./ This is what I do when I'm stressed. I am feeling really down and dreading the next 2 weeks. Don't mean to sound so whiney, but I had no idea what I was getting into. The things you learn at age 44. Sometimes I think I was born yesterday!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I feel like such a failure... new
      #21375 - 09/21/03 08:07 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

AWWWW BL don't feel too bad. How many years has it been since you worked? It isn't easy to reenter the workforce.
I understand the money thing. Two Christmas ago I worked for Kohls Department store and than stayed on for a year and half. My background is not retail - it's eyecare. For the last seven months I worked there I did the 6:00 am bookkeeping shift. Around Chritmas time Kohls would bring in around $200,000.00 a day or more and I had to account for all that money. Get this I made $7.50 an hour.
I am so thankful to my friends who encourage me to quit and pursue going back to school.
Don't feel bad. The job isn't for you and we all know stress can trigger IBS attacks and no job is worth that. There are other jobs out there that will fit your sweet personality and skills better. Hang in there and know we will read your posts if you need to vent for the next two weeks.

Thank you, Barbara. I need some encouragement. -----nt---- new
      #21387 - 09/22/03 05:36 AM
BL

#21396 - 09/22/03 07:59 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

So Sorry this didn't work out for you but it sounds like your doing the right thing by moving on. I would let your manager know that if they want you to work another 2 weeks that you simply can not wear heels! I have terrible feet problems myself, I have to wear custom made orthodics in my shoes at all times. To work I wear slacks with a nice pair of lace up black shoes and regular cotton socks. If your feet hurt that much you need to let tham know or it will be that much more difficult. When I interview for jobs I actually let them know that up front, who says you have to wear heels to look professional anyway!

Sorry, I got off on my own tangent. There will be a better job out there for you! If they continue to pressure you, just tell your boss that you don't have a college degree to sweep floors! You are not a failure!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#21406 - 09/22/03 09:59 AM
Kristine

Reged: 05/15/03
Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Don't feel like a failure. I commend you on standing your ground and doing the right thing!

While in college, I worked as a cashier in a grocery store for five years. It was the worst five years of my life--I didn't have the *smarts* to quit right away. I've had leg and foot problems ever since, and I *still* have nightmares about working there. (no kidding.) Retail is NOT for everyone.

Stick to your guns. Your perfect job is waiting for you.

Kristine

#21411 - 09/22/03 10:18 AM
mlambers

Reged: 09/18/03
Loc: MI

Did you say "addition to her management team"? You were considered part of a management team and were doing all of those petty tasks??? I am proud of you for quitting! It sounds like you were responsible for the work of 7 people! No one should be treated like that and expected to do so much. If you weren't comfortable with the money...it is better that you decline the position. There is definately something better for you out there. Keep your chin up!

#21418 - 09/22/03 11:21 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

I am so sorry BL. I worked retail for 7 years and never had to scrub toilets when I was a manager. It sounds like this person took advantage of you. You are right to get out of there. Hey, if it makes you feel any better my jerk of a boss made my FORMER ( and I stress former because this made her leave) coworker scrub the CARPETS outside our warehouse. Mind you, she, like me, is a degreed professional INTERIOR DESIGNER, so we dress up everyday. But, he had her get on her hands and knees and scrub spots in the carpet. So, sometimes I think that it is the boss, not so much the job. People find someone who will do the dirty work (literally) and constantly dump more on them. Good for you for speaking up and moving on. You will be much better off in a place that doesn't treat you that way. I will be praying for you...

Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

Thanks, ladies! new
      #21451 - 09/22/03 02:47 PM
BL

I feel a little better today. I'm now updating my resume and today I emailed a public relations firm and inquired about job possiblities. I haven't worked in this field in 14 years, but still feel like I have a lot to offer a firm, if they would just give me a chance. No more mopping floors and cleaning public restrooms for me! Although my boys think I'm so STUPID, I don't think my mind has gone to total mush! I would covet your prayers!

Michele, that's a good idea about the shoes. new
      #21452 - 09/22/03 02:48 PM
BL

You're NOT a failure - just more experienced!.... new
      #21689 - 09/24/03 09:25 PM
KaybeeC

Reged: 03/14/03
Loc: Ohio

....Now you have a better idea of what you don't want to do - and what kind of work conditions are important... that's going to help you on the next interview! I've learned the hard way myself that sometimes the employer leaves out more information than s/he gives to candidates - if they told us everything, we'd for sure pass on the offer! Just keep in mind that you have qualities that attracted a good offer, with a broad range of responsibility, from a national company - and other employers will recognize those qualities, too!

You're obviously talented, creative, articulate and enthusiastic - and I'm praying that God will put another situation in your path to provide an outlet for those gifts and to put some cash in your pocket!

Blessings,
Kaybee C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 320 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1698

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review