All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I would like your opinion on chiropractors....
      #211470 - 09/07/05 06:28 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Well I didn't post this when it first happened but a week ago I threw my back out. I was cleaning out my car and turned the wrong way and dropped to my knees in pain. I have always had lower back pain but this was different. It is now a week later and I am still in pain. I decided to go see a chiropractor but here is my fear. I DO NOT want him to adjust me. I want him to write a script for massage therapy instead. I am so scared of having someone adjust my back. But I am not sure on what else to do. I would like any of your feelings or experiences with chiropractors????

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I would like your opinion on chiropractors.... new
      #211481 - 09/07/05 07:17 AM
JLL24

Reged: 09/23/04

Hi Angela,

Not all chiropractors do is adjustments. They also do muscle testing, exercises, and mobility. If you don't feel comfortable being adjusted (which I wouldn't either) just tell them.

If you're really interested in seeing a massage therapist your family dr. should be able write a script for you to see one.

Just be really up front with your chiro. when you have your appt. and tell them what you are and are not comfortable with.

Hope this helps a little.
Jenn

#211487 - 09/07/05 07:24 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I'm sorry you're in pain Angela! I know all too well how that goes.

As you might remember, I've been seeing chiropractors for a number of years. I was scared at first too, but I bit the bullet, and haven't regretted a single second of it. There are a lot of horrer stories about chiropractors... the one thing to make sure of when you go looking for one, is to look at the name. I know it sounds kookie, but it's true. If "health" is in the name, you're pretty much guaranteed someone who's into the wholistic approach and the wellness of their patents, versus someone who's in it for the money and doesn't care about patient education or how they treat you.

Another thing to look for, is an office that already has a massage therapist working for them or with them. That's also generally an indication of how the health of the patients is dealt with.

I can't say for sure if you'll find one that's not willing to diagnose and treat you, but you never know. Some chiropractors can be very sympathetic and compassionate.

I hope this helps, and I hope you feel better soon. Let us know how it goes!

PS - As for my long term therapy... I continue to go not because I still hurt, but because I believe in the overall wellness of my body. Just like going in to the dentist for periodic cleanings... I go in for periodic adjustments to keep my vertibrea in align ment.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Edited by RachelT (09/07/05 07:34 AM)

#211489 - 09/07/05 07:28 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I agree, your regular dr should be able to write a script for massage therapy. I do see a chiropractor, have for years now and really love it! I don't like being adjusted the old manual way, where they twist, turn and push on you. My chiropractor uses a little hand held machine that he runs up and down my spine. It makes little clicky noises and sets my spine that way!! It doesn't hurt at all!! I'm not sure if all chiropractors have these in there office or not but would you feel comfortable with that??

He also has what I call the roller table. Its just a big, long table I lay on and it has these roller things that go up and down my spin, kinda like a massage! He used to have a massage therapist in with him but she left. Good luck and I hope you back feels better.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#211505 - 09/07/05 08:15 AM
Angela E.

Thanks girls! I would have my regular doctor write me a script but I don't have one! I have seen an OB so much these past few years that when we moved I never got a regular doctor. I am going to a chiropractor today at 5pm. Alot of my collegues go there and he has a massage therapist that works with him. My teaching partner who just had back surgery goes to him and says he is wonderful. Today is just a consultation and we'll see what he says! Let's hope its not anything to bad!

#211509 - 09/07/05 08:27 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

I have been going to one for years and now that I am pregnant, I wouldn't go w/out it. The adjustments really help as well as the massage therapy. The adjustments don't hurt at all. Alot of people are afraid of the sound thinking that their bones are cracking; but it's actually the air in between the joints being released. Like when you crack your knuckles; same thing! My mom is a Chiropractic Assistant, so I have learned alot from her as well. Just be up front w/them at your appointment. Hope you are feeling better soon. Have you tried the Thermacare for back pain? HELPS!!!!!!!!!!

Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#211516 - 09/07/05 09:02 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I generally don't mind the "regular adjusting". However, lately during my pregnancy, it's been too much for me to handle. My chiropractor switched to using a hand-held device on me that clicks (activator I think is what it's called), but he uses it on the elderly and infants rather than the traditional. It works almost as well... just takes a little longer to have the same effect.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#211518 - 09/07/05 09:09 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I've never been, but my brother goes. He had a dull ache for years that never went away. The chiro got him in a weird position, told him he was going to hear a noise like a large knuckle crack ... and lo and behold the ache was gone.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

Angela.. do you share your classroom with another teacher? -nt- new
      #211526 - 09/07/05 09:46 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

--------------------

Re: Angela.. do you share your classroom with another teacher? -nt- new
      #211528 - 09/07/05 10:02 AM
Angela E.

No I have my own room but there are 3 of us that teach 5th grade so I call them my teaching partners because we plan our curriculm the same and share ideas all the time. They are right across the hall from me!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 136 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1093

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review