All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Eeek! Cravings and confusion.
      #210869 - 09/03/05 08:03 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I've been vegan for too many years to count. Now, for some inexplicable reason, I am craving egg whites and fish. I tried some hard boiled organic egg whites, today, and they digested without problem. I don't know how to deal with this dilemma. It's kind of weird, but it feels like a primal/survival mechanism or craving kicking in. I don't get it and I don't know how to respond. I'm torn between a rock and a harder place. I feel cruel, but not guilty.

I'd do soy, if I could...but I'm allergic. So, I'm left with few options. I've been feeling so weak. Protein shakes have always ended up regurgitated--they just don't "digest."

Any thoughts? Should I honour this craving with egg whites/fish? Try some tuna?

I'm leaning toward honouring the craving/testing it. Maybe my body is eating itself or something and that's why I have this fierce hunger for egg whites/fish.

I guess I just wanted to air out my confused head. I feel like such an enormous hypocrite.

Kate.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Eeek! Cravings and confusion. new
      #210870 - 09/03/05 08:08 PM
Honey_bun

Reged: 03/09/05
Loc: Canada!

Hello there!
I am no doctor...but i have a friend who is a vegetarian..and she was craving chicken ALOT. So she asked her doctor, and her doctor told her that if she is craving it, then its a good idea to eat it because its her body's way of telling her she needs the food. I dont know how true this is or anything...just repeating what she told me. I dont know if im any help, i just wanted to share my story...i hope everything works out for you..maybe some other vegans on the board can help you out
Melissa

#210874 - 09/03/05 08:28 PM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

Hi Kate,
I'm not a vegetarian/vegan but I don't eat a whole lot of meat anyway. I do know that when I haven't eaten much, I start craving it, I think my body is wanting the protein, at least that's what I chalk it up to.

Alyson

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

#210883 - 09/04/05 05:39 AM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

Oh honey, you are preaching to the right crowd.

As vegan, I can assure you that cravings go with the territory. It's completely normal.

Just the other day I was craving oodles of bacon on a cheese pizza, but that's just because I was craving the salt+gooey cheese.

So instead I had a piece of celery with some peanut butter, and a few dashes of salt!

It's all about substitution and telling your brain that this is the new alternative.

You teach that brain who's boss!

If you are really feeling at loss, go ahead and try some tuna. It's not like you're breaking a law. Nobody is going to point you out in the streets. It's a pretty common occurance for veggies to 're-imbibe' for a bit.

Personally, I've never done it, but I don't eat right anyways

#210887 - 09/04/05 07:16 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

Hi! I was a vegetarian - but really almost vegan because I just wasn't so keen on dairy or eggs...for 10 years...then one day I started craving chicken. So I had it. And I still have it (only organic because of my feelings of how animals are treated). I had low B12. It is very hard to maintain high B12 for a lifetime on a vegan diet. Its is so very important you have your folate, iron and b12 checked as a deficiency can really effect you later in life...and also now...cause nervous system damage...which is the last thin you want when you already have IBS. I always believe in listening to the body when it craves healthy stuff...I found away to stay close to my principles of no animal cruelty (but then again, i believe in eating meat, just not mistreating the animal)..but take care of my body. I know its hard...but you should take care of yourself.

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Re: daliatree, thank you new
      #210931 - 09/04/05 01:04 PM
Wind

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. This craving thing is so creepy and it haunts me at 3 and 4 in the morning.
I have had B12/iron/folate anemia and I'm starting to get that
feeling again. I have absorption difficulties. My decision is to honour the craving when it arises and hope it stays down. So, I'm going to re-introduce some lean fish and egg whites and see if I feel better. It really feels like a primal, need to survive urge. I just panic trying to purchase/cook the stuff. Egg whites don't cause me too much fear. I can open a can of tuna (I picked up a few). I'm craving salmon with bones to crunch. Maybe it's a brain thing, too.

Kate, IBS-D.

Kate.

Re: Isabel new
      #210933 - 09/04/05 01:09 PM
Wind

Celery. Ironically I bought lots and feel much better. I picked up a few cans of tuna, too. I'm just scared the stuff won't stay down. I'll try the celery cure. It's a nerve tonic and high in chloride/salt. Thanks. If the urge/intense craving (it's not for the salt) keeps up, then I'll try a little.

Kate.

Re: Alyson new
      #210934 - 09/04/05 01:10 PM
Wind

It sounds like common wisdom. I shall apply it. I am craving the protein and the vitamins/minerals.

Kate.

Re: Honey_bun new
      #210935 - 09/04/05 01:11 PM
Wind

That's a good idea--I will talk to my doctor.

Kate.

#210936 - 09/04/05 01:45 PM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

(This is Tina by the way, not Tommy)...

Kate, if you are craving those things, don't fight it! I ate salmon for a while when I was craving it and then as quickly as the craving came, it went away a month or two later.

YOU decide what goes into your body, so live by YOUR own rules!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3199 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3877

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review