All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Maybe I missed this..................... new
      #210142 - 08/31/05 11:47 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

Do you have a 1-800# for your insurance that you can call?? They may be able to put you in touch w/a nurse or someone that can help recommend a PCP or GI doc over the phone. (My insurance offers a 24hr nurse on call service) That may help ease your anxieties a bit in getting some true help. Explain to them everything that you have told us and hopefully they will help. Take some of the burden off of yourself and use the insurance to your fullest advantage. Hey, you pay them, so you are the client. They should be willing to help you out. Also, let them know how you were treated @ your recent appt. and they should make note of that. Who knows...you may NOT be the first one. Hope this is somewhat helpful. Just be as pro-active as you can!

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Thanks Kelly new
      #210150 - 08/31/05 12:09 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I take 0.5mg of Klonopin in the afternoon and then 1mg at bedtime...I'm not 100% sure it's enough, I still have a lot of anxiety and problems but I find it very sedating and can't really function on much more. Probably means I should be on a different benzo...but don't see my doc for a little while so I will stick with the Klonopin for now.

Have you ever tried Librax for your stomach? I was thinking about it for you...it's a combination of an anti-spasmodic/anti-cholenergenic type drug with Librium (another benzo). Maybe that would help both your problems at a high enough dosage? Just a thought

Re: Maybe I missed this..................... new
      #210156 - 08/31/05 12:15 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I'll call and see if they have a nurse line at my insurance co. BarbaraS suggested the same thing...so maybe my insurance has something like this. I sure hope so. I do think I would feel better to have an advocate or some person helping me find someone.

I also am thinking about voicing a complaint with them about this last GI. Thanks for the idea.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Beth new
      #210166 - 08/31/05 12:24 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Beth, I'm just kind of lumping all my thoughts here instead of trying to attach each one to the right part of the thread.

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. There's nothing as discouraging as gathering up all your energy to find and see a new doctor and then getting brushed off.

As far as psychotherapy, try calling the United Way. That's how I found the greatest therapist in the world (an MSW) many years ago. The United Way here funded a service center that offered psychotherapy on a sliding fee scale. Also, if you find a good therapist, she may be able to suggest support groups that would help. And from my own personal experience, if you're working full time and dealing with really big emotional issues, once every two weeks if probably going to be about the right frequency. It sounds odd, but there's just not enough time in a single week to process what went on during a therapy session.

As far as a PCP rather than a GI guy, I think it's a great idea. I love my Family Practice physician. She's the one who tested me for parasites and infection and she's the one who tried me on Elavil. You can use this page to search for Family Practice doctors in your area. I would hope that at least some of them would be in your medical plan.

I have a preference for female physicians and therapists, but that might just be me.

And one last thing: there's a branch of the Mayo Clinic in Arizona and the very first doctor Heather lists in the good docs thread is there - or was last summer. That would certainly be warmer than Chicago.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Sorry, but I need help again new
      #210167 - 08/31/05 12:25 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Aww Beth! I know this is a long thread by now, so I haven't had a chance to read any updates or responses... that makes me so sad! I have had my fair share of bad docs, but none that bad, and my case isn't nearly as bad as yours. I am sure you are tired of hearing "hang in there, things will get better" especially cause right now you probably can't see that happening. But, I have faith and hope that they will for you, and I will be sending lots of good thoughts and energy your way.
THis is another example of how healthcare, insurance, and even the doctors themselves are so screwed up. ONE day we will have a better health care system, one that takes care of people like us, not just the 'easy' or 'profitable' patients.

Lots of hugs and good luck Beth!
~S

--------------------
-Sheri

Amen to that Sheri new
      #210175 - 08/31/05 12:38 PM
Augie

Maybe one day they will straighten out the health care fiasco. I'm not easy or profitable...so guess that makes me a double loser in the doc's view point.

The poor and the complicated cases are the ones who need help the most!

--------------------
~ Beth

Thanks Sand new
      #210185 - 08/31/05 12:54 PM
Augie

I'll have to check the list of docs. Problem is finding one nearby and covered by lousy insurance.

Are you saying you think therapy only once every two weeks would probably be better when working FT? I've never been working FT and in therapy at the same time.

The thing that really confuses me is that the doctor is telling me I need intensive team approach...so I'm not sure if a PCP would be able to "handle" me. Why can't I just be a simple IBS case that responds to Acacia and diet? No, I have to have gluten antibodies, gallbladder malfunctioning, delayed emptying, and who knows if I have slow transit C or ideopathic C or plain old IBS C. That's what I need the darn tests for...stupid doctors.

--------------------
~ Beth

Beth new
      #210209 - 08/31/05 02:23 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I feel so bad after reading your post. Nobody should have to put up with all the crap from doctors.
I spent a good part of the day searching the web looking for help in Illinois, but wasn't successful. If you want to e-mail me and talk my e-mail is in my profile. Let me know what area you live in and maybe I can try again tomorrow.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

Re: Beth new
      #210218 - 08/31/05 03:16 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Just wanted to let you know that I'm sorry you have to go through this Beth. I had sort of the same thing happen to me today when I went to the doctors and thought of you. I don't have any health coverage and have to use my school's doctors.

Some of my friends who are nurses told me that my symptoms sounded like I have an ulcer and that they prescribe antibiotics and something to relieve the acid burning sensation (h2 blocker, proton pump inhibitor, etc.). When I went to see one of the doctors at my school who has all my medical records from my last insurance, she goes "Oh, well, they've already done all the tests so just take Prilosec over the counter". I tried telling her they did those tests before my stomach acid problem and that I've tried the Prilosec, but she was hell bent on telling me to try the Prilosec and told me to try it again.

Hopefully the medical profession will someday start to get their act together.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: Sorry, but I need help again new
      #210238 - 08/31/05 04:18 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

WOW....I can't believe they are all being so rude and turning you away like that. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. Have you checked out this site yet? https://secure.gastro.org/GILocator/locator.asp you can put in your State and it will list all the GI Docs in your area, maybe there is one that you have not seen yet that will be willing to help you? Best of luck sweetie.... I'll keep you in my thoughts and keep us posted....we are here for ya...we are not going anywhere.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 568 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 21087

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review