All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Gas prices
      #209756 - 08/30/05 09:53 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

are hitting 3.00 dolars a galon here!!!! I can't affored to fill up my tank! THIS IS CRAZY!!!!!! My cousin lives an hour away and I am supposed to go up there the next two weekends!!! It is going to coast around 60.00 bucks in gas! THIS IS JUST CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gas prices new
      #209769 - 08/30/05 10:30 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

when I first got my license in 1998 gas was .99 cents a gallon.

oh how I miss those days!! (and now its not only cause I miss being 16 again! )

--------------------

#209772 - 08/30/05 10:54 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

It's around $2.70 in N. Illinois. I see you're in Michigan. We're heading up there for vacation next week. We'll be all over...Grand Haven...north of Lansing, and then down to A2. Yipes on the gas -thanks for the warning!

#209779 - 08/30/05 11:08 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I hear ya! I have a 30 minute comute each way to work every day! It really does add up!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Tell me about it new
      #209842 - 08/30/05 03:18 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

We actually can't afford for Adam to go to work! He goes through a tank of gas in a day and a half! Obviously, I can't make him quit his job, and he HAS to go to work, but this is just insane.

#209846 - 08/30/05 03:39 PM
retrograde

Oh yeah Here in Ontario it's averaging at about $1/litre, which is about $3.80 a gallon - BOO! When I bought my car just back in October it was around $0.6 ($2.30 a gallon).... And it doesn't look like it's going down anytime soon Sigh... Looks like I'll be walking a lot more this year - oh well.

It cost me $55.00 to fill my Expedition today.... new
      #209852 - 08/30/05 04:29 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

the typical mommy-mobile. It is a blessing but I don't go anywhere that I don't have to!

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

#209853 - 08/30/05 04:33 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

Yeah, this is something that's not going to go down anytime soon -- take instability in petroleum exporting countries, random hurricanes knocking out production, huge economic growth in China leading to high demand for cars (all of which need gas) and concrete (which takes a pile of energy to create), and finally (this is the kicker), the fact that oil is running out.

All this means is that its unlikely that you'll see gas prices below $2/gallon much anymore - in fact, I assume that they should reach $4-$5/gallon within about two years. The good news is that, once the economic shock has rippled through the economy, it will both increase people's awareness of energy efficient vehicles, methods of heating homes, etc., and it will make general energy levels high enough that alternative sources of energy will become economically viable to produce, which will also increase the amount spent on R&D for them, lowering their marginal price.

Of course in the 'long run' everything looks great in economics - the problem is of course the short run shifts in prices have a heavy impact on people who can't immediately adapt to the price signals, generally because there are very few people who can go out at the drop of a hat and buy the major items that high energy prices affect -- cars and houses. The latter will be especially tough as things go on - many people can make due with alternative transportation to reduce costs, but there's only so far you can turn down the heat in the winter.

As a side note, energy prices also have an impact on urban planning. Cheap gas essentially made the American suburb possible, while in Europe, artificially high gas prices made people opt for denser development and an emphasis on viable alternative transportation. The article that I read about this is here: http://search.csmonitor.com/search_content/0826/p01s03-woeu.html if anyone is interested. The graph at the bottom of comparative MPG across several countries is also informative.

- Vincent

Re: Us Canadians.... new
      #209857 - 08/30/05 04:44 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I've been paying at LEAST $50 a refill on my van and that's with at least 1/4 tank left!!!!!!! I'm so glad I refilled last week!!!!!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Us Canadians.... new
      #209894 - 08/30/05 06:03 PM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

That is ridiculous and it won't be getting any better anytime soon!

--------------------

Yep, we paid $1.15/litre.. isn't that like $4 a gallon?? YOWZA! -nt- new
      #209896 - 08/30/05 06:16 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#209901 - 08/30/05 06:20 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

UGH! Tell me about it! It takes $55 to fill up my Durango and my husband truck is the same. Thank goodness we are closer to work now than we were before but still we are averaging $250 or more a month in gas. It really ticks me off that the oil companies have us at their mercy. Wouldn't it be great if everyone in the U.S. just said we are not going anywhere today or any day until the price of gas goes down. That would be about the only way to get the attention of the federal government and the oil companies.

Yes, that's probably the only benefit... new
      #209908 - 08/30/05 06:29 PM
retrograde

Hopefully rising prices will make people more aware of energy consumption and make people think twice about using so much. All I know is that I'm damn happy to be driving a very small, very fuel efficient car right now!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 69 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1071

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review