Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Michele, what did the doc say today about your eggs? -nt-
      #209375 - 08/29/05 08:59 AM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Thanks for asking!! new
      #209392 - 08/29/05 09:27 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Well, I went back in the am and we are still in a waiting period. Friday, my lead follie was on the left ovaray. The follie has seemed to have shrank, which the ultrasound tech couldn't imagine how or why! The smaller follies are catching with the bigger ones and the bigger ones haven't matured, so not exactly what we wanted. My ovaries are three times their normal size and hurt something awful.

The tech took a long time doing the ultrasound this am because the eggs are kinda pressed up against each other. But, I think on my right I have something like one at 14, 2 or 3 at 12 and a couple at 10. On my left ovary, I have one around 13, a few at 12 and one or two at 10. So, not real sure whats going to happen. The results of my estrogen level will be in later today. My estrogen Friday was 941. They like to see it around 200-250 per each mature follie.

There is still a failry good chance that the Re will cancel this cycle because of over stimulation. It really all depends on the pending estrogn level. As it stands right now, I will go back in Wednesday morning for another ultrasound and estrogen check and I'm hoping to trigger Wednesday evening and do iui Thursday and Friday. Please keep your fingers crossed that it works out and I don't get cancelled!! I would be devasted to get cancelled for a second cycle in a row!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Eeeek! That's a lot of follies! new
      #209399 - 08/29/05 09:42 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

And the size... I can only imagine how painful that must be!

Well... now that you've teetered in the other direction, maybe next time you'll find the happy-medium and it'll be just perfect! (Just trying to be optimistic!)

I'm still gonna be hopeful for you that you can at least try this time Michele! Sending positive baby conceiving vibes your way!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Re: Jen1013 new
      #209403 - 08/29/05 09:50 AM
michele

I saw you asked in my other thread about why they would have to cancel a cycle if I had more than 4 or 5 eggs. Well, technically, each follicle that grows over about 15or 16 mm will usually release an egg. Each egg that is released has the potiental to be fertilized and develop into a baby. This is how people end up having 4, 5, 6 and even more babies!! The "normal" women usually only ovulates one egg per month!

The likely hood off all the eggs actually being fertilized and developing into babies is small. also, remember that I'm 35, which seems to be the magical age where ferility decreases and the chances for multiples, even with lots of eggs, is low. I think statistically, the chances of someone having twins at 35 and older is around 5% and the chances of having triplettes or more is under 1 or 2%. Someone who is younger, those numbers would be much higher! I don't want to start an abortion debate but selective reduction is also a possibility for someone if they do end up with more than twins. Keep in mind, I did have at least 2 cycles already that I released three eggs and still haven't gotten pregnant!

--------------------

Re: Jen1013 new
      #209414 - 08/29/05 10:02 AM
RachelT

I'm confused Michele... One of the books that I have suggests that there's an increase in the likelyhood of multiple fetuses as you age rather than a decrease...

Quote:

One factor influencing the conception of twins is your age. After the age of 35, the chances of conceiving identical twins rises. However, the chances of conceiving nonidentical twins rises until about the age of 35 and then drops off. This may be due to the fact that as you age you naturally produce more ovulating-stimulating hormones, which could trigger your ovaries to release more eggs each month.

The book also mentions that there's an increase in chances of conceiving twins with each subsequent pregnancy and larger, taller women are 25-30 percent more likely to have twins.

... I guess we're both correct. It just depends on whether you're talking about identical versus nonidentical.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

nonidentical new
      #209429 - 08/29/05 10:29 AM
ChristineM

Twins that come with the help of fertility interventions are always non-identical: they come from multiple eggs. That's the kind Michele would be more likely to deal with because of her treatments, but she's saying they're less likely because of her age.

--------------------
Christine

Re: Thanks for asking!! new
      #209432 - 08/29/05 10:30 AM
ChristineM

This is all so confusing! Well, I hope some of the overstimulation dies down so you can release an egg or two! I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya!

--------------------
Christine

Re: Rachel new
      #209434 - 08/29/05 10:31 AM
michele

Hmm, I hadn't heard this before. My guess would be that identical twins may happen as you get older because of the older eggs having more genetic problems. Identical twins have nothing to do with the number of eggs you produce. Identical twins happen when the fertilized egg divides to form two fertilized eggs. This is not something that is more common with fertility treatments.

I'm not exactly why 35 is the magical age but it is! I guess just a couple of months ago, I had a 20% chance of concieving each month. When I turned 35, it dropped to around 15%!! I don't understand why they would say someone who is bigger or taller has an increase chance of twins. It may be easier for bigger/taller people to CARRY twins but we don't necessarily produce any more eggs than a small, skinny person, unless on mega doses of hromones like I am!!

--------------------

Re: Number of follies and multiples new
      #209444 - 08/29/05 10:37 AM
michele

This is a little difficult to read but if you can make it about 3/4 of the way down the page, they say that witholding the hcg injection (basically cancelling a fertility cycle because without the hcg injection, I won't release my eggs on my own because of the medication I was on) in someone 35 or over won't significantly reduce multiple pregnancies even when many eggs are present.

http://www.advancedfertility.com/revmultiplescoh.htm

--------------------

Re: Update, call from Re new
      #209521 - 08/29/05 01:33 PM
michele

Well, very odd. My estrogen went from 941 Friday to 799 today and she doesn't understand how that one follie could have "shrunk." She thinks maybe the tech mistook two follies smooshed together on Friday for one follie. So, I just gave myself another shot of gonal-f in the tummy, ouch and I go in Tuesday instead of Wednesday and the RE herself is doing an ultrasound to see exactly whats what and I'll also have more blood. She said it doesn't look like we will have to cancel this cycle though!! Lets hope that I've got a couple of mature ones tomorrow and the rest stay smaller!!! I'll be glad when I can trigger ovulation and get rid of the pain of these eggs!

--------------------

Re: Update, call from Re new
      #209556 - 08/29/05 02:31 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I'm thinking about you and praying that this is the month!!

let us know what happens! new
      #209592 - 08/29/05 04:58 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I am living vicariously through you until I'm able to start trying Thinking good thoughts!!

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

good luck! new
      #209664 - 08/30/05 05:28 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04

can't wait to hear what happens Fri

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: Tuesday's update! Another appt today! new
      #209714 - 08/30/05 07:58 AM
michele

So, the RE herself did an ultrasound this morning to see for herself what was happening. Basically, I have one follie at 17, one at 15 and two at 14 and about 6 at 12 or a little less. They rechecked my estrogen this morning also and we are awaiting that number. As long as my estrogen looks ok, we will trigger tonight! It looks like the 4 larger follies will release.

I have an appt at the andrology (sp??) lab for Wednesday and Thursday. Thats where Will has to give his "sample," than they "wash" it and I pick it up at 10:15, tuck the sample in my bra to keep it warm and go to the re's office for the iui!

--------------------

#209717 - 08/30/05 08:01 AM
RachelT

Oh Good luck Michele!!!!!! It sounds like things still could happen this month... yay!! LUCK LUCK LUCK!!!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Oooh! new
      #209727 - 08/30/05 08:21 AM
ChristineM

Thinking good thoughts for you! Let's hope the estrogen numbers are good!

--------------------
Christine

Good luck., Michele!!!!! -nt--- new
      #209766 - 08/30/05 10:18 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

GOOD LUCK new
      #209798 - 08/30/05 12:53 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

HONEY!! I am keeping my fingers, toes and everything crossed for you!!
HUGS AND KISSES!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: Tuesday afternoon update! new
      #209818 - 08/30/05 02:05 PM
michele

Well poop! I just got a call from the Re's nurse and everything is moved back a day! My estrogen went from 799 to 841 so they want to give it one more day. I am to do another gonal-f injection tonight to stimulate things even more, ugh! My ovaries already feel like bursting!!! I have to go back in yet again tomorrow morning for yet another ultrasound and yet another round of blood test. Can you tell I'm getting a little impatient! Talk about feeling like a bloated pin cushion!!

Aw well, whatever I need to do at this point. I know this will give us better odds but I just got excited about getting the iui's started tomorrow.

--------------------

#209829 - 08/30/05 02:52 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Good luck, hon! Will be praying for you!!!!!!
XOXOXOXO

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Tuesday afternoon update! new
      #209916 - 08/30/05 06:46 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04

Hang in there sweetie! I know you are anxious! I am still praying for ya!!! XOXO

Re: Oh Michelle! Hang in there and good luck -nt- new
      #209932 - 08/30/05 07:02 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 145 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1267

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review