All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
To all of you (long)
      #208622 - 08/25/05 07:28 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

First, let me say, my cup runneth over. The genuine support and kindness that you have all shown means more to me than I can ever, ever express.

I wanted to apologize for not posting earlier and worrying anyone, but I just was in such a very dark place. I was trying to wait until I felt better, but the dark, scary place kept me prisoner for the past few days. I have been "down" and in pain before, but never like this episode. I just coudn't force myself to the computer.

I am pretty exhausted, still very frightened about what my future holds for me and fear that it will only be more intense pain, anxiety, and depression from living my days in such severe pain...to the point that my life is consumed and totally controlled by this demon. I have always had pretty sever IBS, but never for this long without at least one day of reprieve. I'm scared that the stretches of extremely severe pain are increasing in length and intensity. I just read an article in Reader's Digest that said that the longer you suffer from pain, the more ingrained the pain pattern becomes. The connection between the pain nerves and the brain become more ingrained and stronger over time because they strengthen the more they are used. Like when you exercise, the muscles are weak at first, but become stronger the longer they are used. It's the same with the pain nerves. The longer they are "triggered" and stimulated, the more natural and stronger, and more difficult they become to stop. So, the longer you are in pain, the more natural the state is for your body. This means big trouble for me.

Anyhow, thank you all for your prayers, thoughts, support, compassion...I don't know what I would do without all of you. I often worry that I will be "evicted" from the boards because my posts tend to be so negative..."still in pain, still don't know my triggers, diet still isn't working...etc, etc. I feel like a Eating for IBS flunky. Surely you guys must tire of me. Let's face it, the posts where people are reporting "hey, I feel great and this diet is really working for me" are much more uplifting and encouraging to read. You guys have put up with my struggles for longer than anyone can expect.

If I could just identify one food trigger, or find one SFS that doesn't hurt my body it would give me hope. If I knew which supplements would help me and which are just a big waste of money, it would help. If I felt an inch of improvement, I would feel so much better.

If my doctor would give me some answers on if I should or should not follow a gluten free diet, what the heck to do with my gallbladder,...if he would at least offer some emotional support, if he gave me any advice...I would feel like someone was helping me figure all this out. But I cannot seem to do it on my own. I know I need another doctor. I do. Those of you I have emailed sharing some of the comments this doctor has made to me know how cruel he can be. I must be a masochist.

And, just to let everyone know, I was taking Lexapro and klonopin for depression, anxiety, and pain. Obviously, they aren't doing the job. My doctor has finally given up on the Lexapro and has prescribed Prozac. I mentioned Buspar to him, but he insists that Klonopin is better for me. (This is a Psychiatrist, not my arse hole GI doctor). I pray that the side effects are not too bad. Those of you who are on meds no how difficult the adjustment period of meds can be. And I pray that the new med provides some help dealing with the life of pain and other "crap".

He also gave me a list of counselors to try....I only need to pick one now. Those of you who know me well, know how difficult making a decision is for me. So, I sit with the paper of names of people who I don't know. All with different personalities and approaches. How do I pick one? I feel like this is such a critical decision to make. Hopefully, I will not just put this off because I can't make a decision. I know, deep inside, that it is time to go talk to someone...even if it's just to sit down with and cry about all the pain I am in and how much it sucks and how unfair all of this is.

The job, well, I don't know what to do about the job or my apartment. I am too exhausted to make decisions on them. I know I need more money, but the thought of applying and interviewing is too much while I feel so sick. But, the lack of money is a big part of my stress. So, I feel stuck.

And my stupid landlord and living situation....the thought of packing, looking for a new place to live, hiring movers, and praying I don't get myself into an even worse living situation frightens me. Plus, I don't have a lease here, and I don't know if I should move out of this state or stay here. I don't know if it is a smart idea to move to another apartment here and lock myself into another lease, or if I should stay in this H*** hole apartment until I make a decision...but I will probably never make a decision. So, I live in this stress induced apartment feeling stuck in yet another area of my life.

How do you get the strength to make changes that will improve your life when you feel so sick and in such pain that the activity of breathing, waking up in the morning, and forcing yourself to work everyday, and dealing with the pain and torment of this IBS takes everying out of you? I don't expect answers, just jabbering.

I'll stop rambling...this post is way to long already. Sorry, so much on my mind...so much to figure out and fix...so overwhelmed...

Again, thank you all for you support. Being alone with all this is such a scary feeling. I honestly felt like I was just going to crazy the other night. I felt so fragile.

I love you all...and so grateful for your unconditional support, even after all this time. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

It's not very scientific, but... new
      #208634 - 08/25/05 08:31 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

My method of picking doctors (when I have to do it blindly and with no recommendations from anyone I know) has always been one of two approaches:

1. Go with the one whose name sounds nicest and friendliest.

2. If you don't like the sound of any of their names, close your eyes, hold your hand up in the air, and jab a straight pin down into the paper. Just don't hold the paper in your lap, or you'll hit your thigh along with your next doctor. LOL

I'm being silly, but I'm really not. I've really made decisions that way. And yeah, I've ended up with some not-so-terrific doctors, but ultimately, you can always switch doctors and therapists if the one you pick isn't working for you.

Hey, you can always email me the list, and I'll pick one for you. How's that for scary? Just don't blame me if they turn out to be a raving arse.

I think a couselor is a good first step. And that's what it's all about, Beth - I know it's easy to be overwhelmed by everything that's going on, but everything is manageable if you do it one baby step at a time.

*hugs*

Re: To all of you (long) new
      #208645 - 08/25/05 09:15 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

So glad to hear from you and know you're ok Please don't feel like you'll be banned from the boards or like you're a flunkie, we all love you and care about you and don't care if you are still having trouble with the diet! It's ok! I felt the same way for the longest time because the diet wasn't doing anything for me and it turned out I didn't even necessarily have IBS, but I still love to come here and everyone has still been really supportive.

As for the drugs, I've heard good things about Prozac and combined with the Klonopin hopefully that'll do the trick. How much Klonopin do you take? That's what my psychiatrist put me on and he says it's important that I take it regularily to try and stay on top of the anxiety and not let it "break through" (it still does sometimes of course).

I hear you on the counsellor issue too...I had to find a psychologist...my psychiatrist gave me a list of doctors to try and I just had to pick one and I'm terrible at making decisions. Basically, I ended up calling around and went with the one who made me feel the most comfortable and seemed most apathetic towards my situation (I can't really afford to see a counsellor and this woman was willing to work something out with me financially). Hopefully you'll find the right fit for you.

Hope you start feeling better really soon
Kelly

#208659 - 08/25/05 11:12 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I'm so glad you updated! I'm sorry you're going through such a difficult time. I hope the Prozac works. You have my email address if you ever need to vent--use it!

Good advice! new
      #208660 - 08/25/05 11:16 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Taking small steps when it comes to making decisions is a good idea. I chose my PCP because I saw her picture in the clinic's directory, and in the pic she was holding a potted plant. I liked that she liked gardening so I picked her. She's turned out to be the best doctor I've ever had!

Beth, maybe you shouldn't worry about moving or getting a job yet. First thing should be your health.

Hey, mental twins! new
      #208683 - 08/26/05 05:14 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

They are all MY ideas Casey!

Just pick one Beth...if you don't like them, move on. At least then you'll be progressing this.

And can you apply for your type of job online? I know that kept me going when otherwise I would have done NOTHING. Jobhunting's alot easier if you can do it at home. That way you only have to go anywhere if you make the interview stage - and getting an interview always gives me a confidence boost.

{{{HUGS}}}

#208691 - 08/26/05 05:58 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

phew...I am so glad you wrote...I just sent you an email this morning (you don't need to write back sweetie...don't waste your energy...you said everything in this post)...I am glad that you are going to see a counsellor...I know the decision is so hard.
I wish you could see another GI doc. Really really do. The power of a Dr that listens is amazing.
My friend who is a physiotherapist explained to me about chronic pain and how debilitating it is...and said it is extra important for people with chronic pain to relax (try to) - to reverse the cortisol drip in the brain. I know its not easy with the situation with your landlord...and I know when you are stuck in a dark place its hard to start...but yoga would be so good for you. you don't need to start with all those difficult positions...just simply sitting and learning yogic breathing to begin with is so powerful. It would be a little something to pat yourself on the back for each day - event to do five minutes of it.
I know this is all so much easier said then done, please don't think I am disregarding that. Physical activity is sooo important...especially for depression and gut disorders. Muscle tone is vital in a body that has IBS - and especially conditions of chronic pain. Activity helps release the pent up cortisol and adrenaline and allows us to sleep better, have better appetites and form better stools. Its such a huge effort at first that it seems almost impossible (I always use Lance Armstrong as my inspiration) - but we start with simple things like taking the stairs for one floor and gradually increasing - and pat ourselves on the back for each acheivement and slowly but surely it starts to turn around.
If I had to offer you any advice that I was SURE would help your situation (and again, I am not disregarding how challenging it is to do these changes when you are in such pain and feel so hopeless) it would be this:
- get a new GI doctor ASAP (you would never let a best friend stick with a Dr like that. BE your own best friend Beth)
- start a very gentle yoga programme - I am very willing to send you a book that I love to help you - you can do it at home - it doesn't cost money.
- make sure that you walk every single day

I know it may seem like this is the last thing you need to hear right now...but its my honest opinion...I really care about you and am always here to help. Even if I don't always answer emails immediately - it doesn't mean I don't care...its just that I haven't had time.
With love, and hope, and wishes for greater health,
Dalia XXX

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#208710 - 08/26/05 06:47 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Oh Bethie, we are all here for you.

I'm so glad you changing your AD meds and going to see a councellor.

Dalia and Casey both had some grea suggestions.

Lots of (((((hugs))))

xo

#208715 - 08/26/05 07:04 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I agree with Dalia. Get a new Dr. Be your own best friend.
We are all here for you. Never think your posts are too long or boring us. We care about you and we are a family here. family takes care of family. Get youself well.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

#208730 - 08/26/05 07:40 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Oh Swetie, my heart is breaking for you right now. Please don't feel like you will be "evicted" or anything like that from here. We are your friends and will help you as long as it takes as much as we can!

As for picking a dr, this is what I do. Pick the three best sounding names to you. Call their offices and talk to the girl at the desk. Explain to her that you have a list of drs and are trying to find the best one for you. If you like the girl at the front desk, ask that she have to dr call you back for a quick 5 minute introduction to see if you think you will like that person!! I've done this many times and 9 times out of 10, it works well!!

I've been seeing a "shrink" for almost 2 years and it really had helped me, a lot! I'm hoping the change in medication will help you also.

As far as the pain signals becoming more ingrained, have you tried the hypno cd's to counter act that? You can borrow mine if you can't afford them yourself! Please let me know if you are interested! Lots of love and big hugs!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 97 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11556

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review