All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Re: To all of you (long) new
      #209029 - 08/26/05 08:42 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Beth -- try dealing with one thing at a time. Take care of your health first, worry about the job/apartment later. OK, that's a stupid thing to say, I know you are technically worrying about it NOW, but try to push the worries away -- tell yourself "I'll deal with it later".

I didn't read all of the replies, but you mentioned your worries over seeing a new GI who's right across the hall from your old GI. I totally understand about not wanting to hurt the feelings of the old one. Yeah, he was a jerk, but it was still very good of him not to charge you anything. On the other hand, he charged you exactly what his medical advice was worth! If you're really concerned about this, don't go to the GI who's right across the hall -- find a GI who's at a different location. I guess I should say that you should just say to !@#$ with him and go to the other GI, but I know in your situation I wouldn't be able to do it. You don't have to tell them you're switching, either. Just tell them you need a copy of your records (you'll probably have to pay a processing fee, mine was $10). You can say you want them for yourself, you don't have to tell them you're going to another doctor.

As for picking a counselor ... it's tough to know how they'll be. But remember -- YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO BACK. If you don't like him/her, then switch. Period. Don't worry about hurting their feelings. Most likely they won't care anyway.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Beth new
      #209033 - 08/26/05 09:09 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Beth, so glad to see you posting. Everyone was so worried about you. I'm so sorry you're in such a tough place right now and that I can't do much more than reach out through cyberspace and give you an enormous HUG.

I will tell you that switching my family doctor when I was getting diagnosed with IBS was the BEST thing I've ever done for myself. My old family doc was a complete a$$hole (his main job was as a plastic surgeon...!). He was absolutely terrible and completely and unnecessarily MEAN. I'm also a person who is terrified of doctors/hospitals so this was like hell for me. As a result I never went to him for anything even when I really should have seen a doctor for something. When my family was convincing me to see a doctor for my IBS (then undiagnosed) I had one condition - I was switching doctors. Since I had taken to going to the walk-in clinic all the time for any complaints instead of going to my doctor (this usually meant waiting HOURS in the waiting room, and sometimes have to come back the next day, so you can see how much I hated that guy ) ... anyway, at the walk-in clinic I met a wonderful doctor who is the most sympathetic and easy going doctor I've ever met. I wrote him a letter asking him to take me on as a patient, and he called (personally, from home) and agreed, even though he is/was already swamped and really not able to take on more patients.

It was the best thing I've ever done. I can't even express how much better I feel about my condition because I have a very supportive doctor. I still think these boards are superior anyday but it's so nice to have a doctor who will talk to you one-on-one, really listen to what you have to say in a very sympathetic way and not just throw pills at you and walk out the door.

Phew! OK so that's my story I totally understand how you feel bad about leaving your current GI doc and such, but I really think you owe it to yourself to seek out better care. I'm sure your doctor will get over it. PLEASE at least go see this new doctor.

Anyway, I'm sure you already have lots of people offering but if you're looking for someone else to chat with anytime, you have my email.

I wish you much happiness and good health, Beth. You SO deserve it. HUGS.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 158 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11621

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review