All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
To all of you (long)
      #208622 - 08/25/05 07:28 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

First, let me say, my cup runneth over. The genuine support and kindness that you have all shown means more to me than I can ever, ever express.

I wanted to apologize for not posting earlier and worrying anyone, but I just was in such a very dark place. I was trying to wait until I felt better, but the dark, scary place kept me prisoner for the past few days. I have been "down" and in pain before, but never like this episode. I just coudn't force myself to the computer.

I am pretty exhausted, still very frightened about what my future holds for me and fear that it will only be more intense pain, anxiety, and depression from living my days in such severe pain...to the point that my life is consumed and totally controlled by this demon. I have always had pretty sever IBS, but never for this long without at least one day of reprieve. I'm scared that the stretches of extremely severe pain are increasing in length and intensity. I just read an article in Reader's Digest that said that the longer you suffer from pain, the more ingrained the pain pattern becomes. The connection between the pain nerves and the brain become more ingrained and stronger over time because they strengthen the more they are used. Like when you exercise, the muscles are weak at first, but become stronger the longer they are used. It's the same with the pain nerves. The longer they are "triggered" and stimulated, the more natural and stronger, and more difficult they become to stop. So, the longer you are in pain, the more natural the state is for your body. This means big trouble for me.

Anyhow, thank you all for your prayers, thoughts, support, compassion...I don't know what I would do without all of you. I often worry that I will be "evicted" from the boards because my posts tend to be so negative..."still in pain, still don't know my triggers, diet still isn't working...etc, etc. I feel like a Eating for IBS flunky. Surely you guys must tire of me. Let's face it, the posts where people are reporting "hey, I feel great and this diet is really working for me" are much more uplifting and encouraging to read. You guys have put up with my struggles for longer than anyone can expect.

If I could just identify one food trigger, or find one SFS that doesn't hurt my body it would give me hope. If I knew which supplements would help me and which are just a big waste of money, it would help. If I felt an inch of improvement, I would feel so much better.

If my doctor would give me some answers on if I should or should not follow a gluten free diet, what the heck to do with my gallbladder,...if he would at least offer some emotional support, if he gave me any advice...I would feel like someone was helping me figure all this out. But I cannot seem to do it on my own. I know I need another doctor. I do. Those of you I have emailed sharing some of the comments this doctor has made to me know how cruel he can be. I must be a masochist.

And, just to let everyone know, I was taking Lexapro and klonopin for depression, anxiety, and pain. Obviously, they aren't doing the job. My doctor has finally given up on the Lexapro and has prescribed Prozac. I mentioned Buspar to him, but he insists that Klonopin is better for me. (This is a Psychiatrist, not my arse hole GI doctor). I pray that the side effects are not too bad. Those of you who are on meds no how difficult the adjustment period of meds can be. And I pray that the new med provides some help dealing with the life of pain and other "crap".

He also gave me a list of counselors to try....I only need to pick one now. Those of you who know me well, know how difficult making a decision is for me. So, I sit with the paper of names of people who I don't know. All with different personalities and approaches. How do I pick one? I feel like this is such a critical decision to make. Hopefully, I will not just put this off because I can't make a decision. I know, deep inside, that it is time to go talk to someone...even if it's just to sit down with and cry about all the pain I am in and how much it sucks and how unfair all of this is.

The job, well, I don't know what to do about the job or my apartment. I am too exhausted to make decisions on them. I know I need more money, but the thought of applying and interviewing is too much while I feel so sick. But, the lack of money is a big part of my stress. So, I feel stuck.

And my stupid landlord and living situation....the thought of packing, looking for a new place to live, hiring movers, and praying I don't get myself into an even worse living situation frightens me. Plus, I don't have a lease here, and I don't know if I should move out of this state or stay here. I don't know if it is a smart idea to move to another apartment here and lock myself into another lease, or if I should stay in this H*** hole apartment until I make a decision...but I will probably never make a decision. So, I live in this stress induced apartment feeling stuck in yet another area of my life.

How do you get the strength to make changes that will improve your life when you feel so sick and in such pain that the activity of breathing, waking up in the morning, and forcing yourself to work everyday, and dealing with the pain and torment of this IBS takes everying out of you? I don't expect answers, just jabbering.

I'll stop rambling...this post is way to long already. Sorry, so much on my mind...so much to figure out and fix...so overwhelmed...

Again, thank you all for you support. Being alone with all this is such a scary feeling. I honestly felt like I was just going to crazy the other night. I felt so fragile.

I love you all...and so grateful for your unconditional support, even after all this time. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

It's not very scientific, but... new
      #208634 - 08/25/05 08:31 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

My method of picking doctors (when I have to do it blindly and with no recommendations from anyone I know) has always been one of two approaches:

1. Go with the one whose name sounds nicest and friendliest.

2. If you don't like the sound of any of their names, close your eyes, hold your hand up in the air, and jab a straight pin down into the paper. Just don't hold the paper in your lap, or you'll hit your thigh along with your next doctor. LOL

I'm being silly, but I'm really not. I've really made decisions that way. And yeah, I've ended up with some not-so-terrific doctors, but ultimately, you can always switch doctors and therapists if the one you pick isn't working for you.

Hey, you can always email me the list, and I'll pick one for you. How's that for scary? Just don't blame me if they turn out to be a raving arse.

I think a couselor is a good first step. And that's what it's all about, Beth - I know it's easy to be overwhelmed by everything that's going on, but everything is manageable if you do it one baby step at a time.

*hugs*

Re: To all of you (long) new
      #208645 - 08/25/05 09:15 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

So glad to hear from you and know you're ok Please don't feel like you'll be banned from the boards or like you're a flunkie, we all love you and care about you and don't care if you are still having trouble with the diet! It's ok! I felt the same way for the longest time because the diet wasn't doing anything for me and it turned out I didn't even necessarily have IBS, but I still love to come here and everyone has still been really supportive.

As for the drugs, I've heard good things about Prozac and combined with the Klonopin hopefully that'll do the trick. How much Klonopin do you take? That's what my psychiatrist put me on and he says it's important that I take it regularily to try and stay on top of the anxiety and not let it "break through" (it still does sometimes of course).

I hear you on the counsellor issue too...I had to find a psychologist...my psychiatrist gave me a list of doctors to try and I just had to pick one and I'm terrible at making decisions. Basically, I ended up calling around and went with the one who made me feel the most comfortable and seemed most apathetic towards my situation (I can't really afford to see a counsellor and this woman was willing to work something out with me financially). Hopefully you'll find the right fit for you.

Hope you start feeling better really soon
Kelly

#208659 - 08/25/05 11:12 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I'm so glad you updated! I'm sorry you're going through such a difficult time. I hope the Prozac works. You have my email address if you ever need to vent--use it!

Good advice! new
      #208660 - 08/25/05 11:16 PM
lalala

Taking small steps when it comes to making decisions is a good idea. I chose my PCP because I saw her picture in the clinic's directory, and in the pic she was holding a potted plant. I liked that she liked gardening so I picked her. She's turned out to be the best doctor I've ever had!

Beth, maybe you shouldn't worry about moving or getting a job yet. First thing should be your health.

Hey, mental twins! new
      #208683 - 08/26/05 05:14 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

They are all MY ideas Casey!

Just pick one Beth...if you don't like them, move on. At least then you'll be progressing this.

And can you apply for your type of job online? I know that kept me going when otherwise I would have done NOTHING. Jobhunting's alot easier if you can do it at home. That way you only have to go anywhere if you make the interview stage - and getting an interview always gives me a confidence boost.

{{{HUGS}}}

#208691 - 08/26/05 05:58 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

phew...I am so glad you wrote...I just sent you an email this morning (you don't need to write back sweetie...don't waste your energy...you said everything in this post)...I am glad that you are going to see a counsellor...I know the decision is so hard.
I wish you could see another GI doc. Really really do. The power of a Dr that listens is amazing.
My friend who is a physiotherapist explained to me about chronic pain and how debilitating it is...and said it is extra important for people with chronic pain to relax (try to) - to reverse the cortisol drip in the brain. I know its not easy with the situation with your landlord...and I know when you are stuck in a dark place its hard to start...but yoga would be so good for you. you don't need to start with all those difficult positions...just simply sitting and learning yogic breathing to begin with is so powerful. It would be a little something to pat yourself on the back for each day - event to do five minutes of it.
I know this is all so much easier said then done, please don't think I am disregarding that. Physical activity is sooo important...especially for depression and gut disorders. Muscle tone is vital in a body that has IBS - and especially conditions of chronic pain. Activity helps release the pent up cortisol and adrenaline and allows us to sleep better, have better appetites and form better stools. Its such a huge effort at first that it seems almost impossible (I always use Lance Armstrong as my inspiration) - but we start with simple things like taking the stairs for one floor and gradually increasing - and pat ourselves on the back for each acheivement and slowly but surely it starts to turn around.
If I had to offer you any advice that I was SURE would help your situation (and again, I am not disregarding how challenging it is to do these changes when you are in such pain and feel so hopeless) it would be this:
- get a new GI doctor ASAP (you would never let a best friend stick with a Dr like that. BE your own best friend Beth)
- start a very gentle yoga programme - I am very willing to send you a book that I love to help you - you can do it at home - it doesn't cost money.
- make sure that you walk every single day

I know it may seem like this is the last thing you need to hear right now...but its my honest opinion...I really care about you and am always here to help. Even if I don't always answer emails immediately - it doesn't mean I don't care...its just that I haven't had time.
With love, and hope, and wishes for greater health,
Dalia XXX

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#208710 - 08/26/05 06:47 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Oh Bethie, we are all here for you.

I'm so glad you changing your AD meds and going to see a councellor.

Dalia and Casey both had some grea suggestions.

Lots of (((((hugs))))

xo

#208715 - 08/26/05 07:04 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I agree with Dalia. Get a new Dr. Be your own best friend.
We are all here for you. Never think your posts are too long or boring us. We care about you and we are a family here. family takes care of family. Get youself well.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

#208730 - 08/26/05 07:40 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Oh Swetie, my heart is breaking for you right now. Please don't feel like you will be "evicted" or anything like that from here. We are your friends and will help you as long as it takes as much as we can!

As for picking a dr, this is what I do. Pick the three best sounding names to you. Call their offices and talk to the girl at the desk. Explain to her that you have a list of drs and are trying to find the best one for you. If you like the girl at the front desk, ask that she have to dr call you back for a quick 5 minute introduction to see if you think you will like that person!! I've done this many times and 9 times out of 10, it works well!!

I've been seeing a "shrink" for almost 2 years and it really had helped me, a lot! I'm hoping the change in medication will help you also.

As far as the pain signals becoming more ingrained, have you tried the hypno cd's to counter act that? You can borrow mine if you can't afford them yourself! Please let me know if you are interested! Lots of love and big hugs!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

thanks Tina new
      #208796 - 08/26/05 10:22 AM
Augie

I took my first pill today...so let's hope it does something for me. I still have to decide on the counselor...so believe it when it happens, so to speak.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: thanks Tina new
      #208797 - 08/26/05 10:25 AM
Sara-Sage

Bethie, it may give you some side effects intially but keep with it. I don't want you even thinking of harming yourself and I think it will take effective medication to change your mindset.

As for the counsellors, could you narrow it down by sex? Or by location? Cost?

If you need any help just ask, as always!

#208798 - 08/26/05 10:33 AM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Beth,

Wow! You expressed yourself so clearly in this post. I hope it felt good to get all that stuff out. As others have said, you are always welcome here, no matter what your physical or mental state!

You have been given some good advice here already, like what Dalia said about yoga and Michele's suggestion about calling doctor's offices. The other thing you could do is just ask the receptionist about the doctor's personality. Different therapists (and different doctors) have different approaches, and the receptionist can probably give you a good idea.

Big hugs! Never give up! Remember that it is always darkest before the dawn!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Dalia new
      #208799 - 08/26/05 10:37 AM
Augie

Thank you for both your emails...you are a truly a blessing in my life. I'm sorry I worried you...but I was worried.

I can imagine me trying to do yoga while my landlord is sandblasting below me. UGH...he is so rude.

I'm still walking 30 minutes a day,,,but I think I need something more intense as this doesn't seem to be helping. Do you recommend something more intense? Or do you think yoga and walking will be enough? I love the idea of a free yoga start...as I can't afford a class.

You're right about my doc...I've shared many of his off the wall, cruel comments with you. I still feel like I would be betraying him by going to someone else. I have the name of someone else who can see me next week . But, he is right next door to my current GI doc...and when I say right next door, I mean the reception desks face each other and are about 20 yards away. Everyone at my doc's office know me, after 3 years...so I'm sure they will be talking and gossiping as my current doc has never even charged me for a vistit...and he did an endoscopy on me for free. So, I feel I owe him...but he is still and idiot and treats me like crap. Sort of like the abusive husband who beats his wife but she thinks she deserves it or feels guilty for the one time he was nice.

Anyhow, thank you for all your kind words...I do worry that my emails may be bugging you. I tend to forget how busy you are (because you have a real life outside of your IBS)...so thanks for explaining again.

I love you, Dals. Thank you for being there for me.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Dalia new
      #208801 - 08/26/05 10:39 AM
Sara-Sage

Oh Beth, go to the new doctor. Don't worry about betraying your old doc. He's a @#$%!!!!!

Thank you so much Carol new
      #208802 - 08/26/05 10:40 AM
Augie

I think we are sort of in the same boat as far as family. We both are single...and I'm not sure if you have any extended family that helps you. I don't so the people on these boards have become my adopted family.

Thank you for being part of my family. And thank you for "taking care of me".

Love and hugs to you.

--------------------
~ Beth

Hi Michele new
      #208805 - 08/26/05 10:51 AM
Augie

Thank you, my friend. I think that is a good idea...but a little too overwelming right now. Maybe by next Monday or so, I will gather the energy to start making the calls and phone interviewing some of these faceless names. Do they really let you talk to the actual therapist without even being a patient?

The names I have include men, women, MA's in counseling therapy, PsyD's, one christian Counselor,...a shlew to choose from.

Do you think Hypno can "rewire" the pain circuits? The article sounded like once the transmitters are overly active over years, they are too strong to reverse.

Don't you still need your hypno CD's? Did they help you? Did you order the ones from this sight for 100 bucks?

Lots of love and big hugs right backatcha. Don't let your heart break...you're baby needs a mommy with a heart! And do you promise you won't evict me? I'm not kidding when I said it is a big fear of mine. I know you all must be tiring of me...I'm tired of me. And I keep asking the same darn questions over and over. I don't mean to...I just keep going in circles and often forget what everyone has said to me...and who said what! As you know, with so many different posters and approaches and what works for whom, the information can get all scrambled in my overactive, overly obsessive mind!

--------------------
~ Beth

Thank you Maria new
      #208808 - 08/26/05 10:54 AM
Augie

God must have known I needed you on the boards that night. You're email to me that night saved me, I swear! I read your kind words and was able to not feel so alone...and went to sleep knowing you were there.

Better be careful with your offer to email you anytime...I may just take you up on it!

--------------------
~ Beth

Kelly, sounds like we are in a similar situation... new
      #208810 - 08/26/05 11:01 AM
Augie

...in life and trying to hang on and just get better. Thank you for your words of support and for making me feel welcomed, even after all the whining and questioning people to death I do!

I hope the Prozac helps. It's suppose to maybe cause diarrhea, which would certainly help my C condition. I took it about 4 hours ago, and so far I'm not feeling any side effects. As far as Klonopin, he started me on one mg, then wanted to increase it to 2 mg, but I was afraid I wouldn't be able to function at work at that amount. So, he told me to stay at 1 mg taken before bedtime, but sometimes I think I should try the 2 mg since I am still highly anxious. Do you know if taking it at night will help the anxiety during the next day? I mean, I'm not anxious when I'm sleeping!

How do you like your counselor now that you are seeing her? Did you want a female or did it just work out that way?

I might have to take a day off work and just sit at the phone and make some calls to get this going. I can't seem to work FT and take care of myself at the same time.

--------------------
~ Beth

Hi Casey new
      #208815 - 08/26/05 11:12 AM
Augie

I just tried your method and it landed on someone named Robert Zittler. Should have crossed him off before I did it as my father's name is Robert (abusive SOB)! The name I like the best, and the one my "shrink" suggested I start with is not included in my insurance plan! But, who knows how long I'll be here anyhow at the rate I'm going. But I need to be working somewhere...but that's a whole other topic for a different time!

Are you serious about emailing you the list? I could post the names here and you all could vote on them! I swear, I am the most indecisive, perfectionistic, procrastinator God ever created.

All the other names are neither attractive to me nor distasteful. And I don't know if I should go with a man or a woman or a Psy D or a MA in Counseling Psychology or what.

Yep, it sure is overwhelming when I see all the things that need to be fixed. This keeps me paralyzed from doing any of it! But I know if I got a counselor...she/he would be able to help me to do the other things, hopefully.

Love and hugs

Bethie

--------------------
~ Beth

Beth? new
      #208816 - 08/26/05 11:13 AM
Sara-Sage

Have you ever considered that you might not ahve ibs and it could another digestive disorder?

Seriously. get you new doc to do lots of tests!

Hugs gladly received! new
      #208818 - 08/26/05 11:29 AM
Augie

So Casey stole your ideas?

I'm not sure how the whole job hunting, calling thing goes over the internet. Do you actually apply for the jobs over the internet? I could spend my work days searching for another job! They don't pay me enough anyhow (justfiying me playing on the computer now).

First, I need to decide if I should try to go PT again or try to maintain FT work. That's another darn decision to make! I detest decisions. For Pete's sake, I can't even pick out what to eat for dinner, let alone life decisions.

--------------------
~ Beth

It did feel good new
      #208821 - 08/26/05 11:36 AM
Augie

It got a bit long though, didn't it!

I hope I see my dawn soon, because this darkness is getting pretty old! And it's hard not to give up...do you know what I mean? When it's been so long and I've tried so many things and read so much....and still nothing! Okay, now I'm getting bummed and I have taken up this board for too long now!

--------------------
~ Beth

Internet and jobs new
      #208822 - 08/26/05 11:36 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

A lot of universities and companies have online job postings and online resume submissions. Maybe you could try a site like monster.com? It's for resume posting and job searching stuff.

*HUGS* Hope you feel better soon, honey. Being in pain (emotional or physical) is not good at all.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

well.... new
      #208827 - 08/26/05 11:43 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

if your insurance covers a psy.d. I'd go with the psy.d over someone with a masters.

psy.d's basically spend the majority of their training doing counseling as opposed to phd psychs who do alot of research as well as counseling.

nothing against counselors with masters either, but if your insurance covers a Doctor (psyd is phd without the emphasis on research) then i'd definitly go for the person that is a liscensed doctor.

--------------------

Re: Beth? new
      #208845 - 08/26/05 12:37 PM
Augie

Yep, I've considered it...but my dork head GI doc won't give me an answer. One day he tells me I have IBS and the next visit he tells me I don't.

--------------------
~ Beth

Tina new
      #208847 - 08/26/05 12:39 PM
Augie

Do you think I should call my doctor to let him know I am getting a "second opinion" so as to not surprise him and his receptionists? They know me. Do you think this would lessen the confusion, rumors, when they see me to to the other reception desk?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Tina new
      #208849 - 08/26/05 12:46 PM
Sara-Sage

No Beth! You don't owe him anything!

I went to my first ever GI doc and he was a @#$& so I told my family doctor and he sent me to a new one.

You are the patient and can pcik and choose who YOU WANT Seriously!

I changed my family doctor 2 years ago. I had to transer all my files to the new doc and pay a fee for all his notes and the test results in my file. The doc never agve me a hard time AT ALL. It was my choice to change doctors!

I did so mostly because everytime I went there he would talk to me for an hour about how all my complaints were caused by stress. His answer to everything was take a hot bubble bath and do some yoga. He was a great guy but I got sick of him doing nothing.

Within the first month of seeing my new doctor, he scheduled for for a sleep study (to get to the bottom of my insomnia), sent me for GI tests, etc, etc) I told him point blank that he was there to give me answers. And he did!

#208863 - 08/26/05 12:54 PM
Augie

One time I started getting teary eyed because I was in so much physical pain, and my doc slammed my chart shut and told me he couldn't deal with my tears and to come back when I was "more together". For a while I was hiccuping non stop and read that it was a sign of GI distress. When I brought this up to him he said "you're not hiccuping now are you". Smart A**. He also told me that 80 % of people have GI problems and they don't go running to doctors... in other words, what's wrong with me?

Yep, most of my appointments are spent with him lecturing to me about Aristotles and Socrates...like I care! Just help my poor tummy!

UGH...thanks for you opinion.

--------------------
~ Beth

Picking a counselor new
      #208867 - 08/26/05 01:12 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I didn't read all the lists of replies, so if this was suggested, sorry you have to read it twice

I would interview them all! Yep! This is what I did...I called each therapist on my insurance and left a message. Some were willing to speak 5 mins over the phone and have an interview appointment. If they wouldn't chat a bit on the phone, I crossed them off immediately. If I liked them on the phone, I set up an appointment. This way I could pick and choose who I liked.

Anyhow...I love you Beth *hugs* And I understand the whole dark whole thing all to well. Maybe you could try ativan for the anixiety or xanax?

We love you and are here no matter what *big huge hugs and lots of love*

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Hi Michele new
      #208878 - 08/26/05 01:42 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Yes, I bought the $100 cd's from here and I think they did help some. They certainly help me relax and loads of people swear by them! It wouldn't hurt to try. If you are interested, email me and we will talk!

And yes, I think most therpaist will call you back and talk to you in you explain that you are trying to find the right one for you. If they can't bother to take 5 minutes for an introduction then they may not be worth going to, in my opinion!

An no, we won't evite you from here! Lots of love and hugs!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Picking a counselor new
      #208880 - 08/26/05 01:48 PM
Sara-Sage

Great Idea!

Re: Beth? new
      #208882 - 08/26/05 01:48 PM
Sara-Sage

Well a new doctor will be able to help you sort it all out.

#208883 - 08/26/05 01:50 PM
Sara-Sage

Ok, he should be HISTORY! That is UNACCEPTABLE. He is a BULLY! Grrrrrr... I'll kick his butt for you!!!

Don't see him ever again. Get a new doctor. He gives you such a hard time, maybe in his twisted mind he'll be glad?

You deserve MUCH, MUCH better professional medical care!

Beth new
      #208884 - 08/26/05 01:58 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I wish I coud put into words how this post makes me feel! Imagine me hugging you tight and crying with you - that is what I feel right now.

When I read this I see someone who is very brave and very strong. Because you are open and honest with your feelings and you keep on coming back for answers even when none have seemed to help... you are NOT a flunkie!!!!!!!!!!!! It is just clear that something besides just diet is going on with you, that's all, because otherwise surely something would have helped you by now. That doesn't mean you stop trying to alter your diet but your doctor should for sure be looking at other things - what, I don't know, I have no idea, but you've sure done your part!

No matter what, you are not alone. I have no idea why this particular path in your life is so dark and long and hard, I've been down some like that and they seem to last FOREVER and I've thought there's no way I'll ever get through this or feel good again or happy or hopeful again. But it DOES PASS!! And you just keep having hope that it WILL PASS for you too and there is "BETTER" ahead! If you've lost faith in that, than borrow some of mine, because I believe it and continue to pray it for you. In the meantime I can only trust that the One who loves you more than I do has some purpose for this rocky road you are on - this is a broken world we live in, He does not ever desire that we should suffer, but He does promise to ALWAYS work it out for the good of those who love Him, so somewhere up the road that "good" is ahead and I do trust that, even though I don't claim to understand it.

Big big hugs....it's good to hear from you. I know I'm AWOL most of the time now but I've not forgotten you, my friend!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Augie new
      #208886 - 08/26/05 01:59 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Just remember ... they are getting PAID to provide us with a service. We have every right to switch if they aren't providing the quality of service we want. If you went to a butcher store that had crappy meat you wouldn't go back. That's how I feel about doctors.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

And on a more pracitical note.... new
      #208889 - 08/26/05 02:10 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

follow these gals' advice - get that new Dr and don't give your old one another thought, I wish I could kick his teeth in for you! It took me a long time to learn to stand up for myself with doctors, but once I realized how much I was fighting for my kids and NOT for ME, I started speakign up FOR MYSELF TOO and fired 2 doctors (one GI and one OB-GYN) and got new ones. I told the new ones right off the bat that it was up to them to prove to me they could be my doctor, and after interviewing them, told them they were "hired". You are their BOSS!!! You are THE DONALD!!! Or should I say you are THE BETH!!!

Same with a therapist - I just saw a counsellor for the first time in my entire life and I thought I would hate the guy, had really wanted a female, but the truth is he was fantastic adn I do hope to see a woman for the long haul but point is people can surprise you. But if you dont' feel comfortable just be honest and open and say, "You aren't goign to work, I've got to find someone else".

I know - I mean I DO KNOW how hard it is to do all this when you feel sick and hurt, I really do!!!! Do as much as you can over the phone.

Okay - anyway - had to throw all that in, ditto what all these gals are saying, you are worth it!!!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Re: Hi Casey new
      #208894 - 08/26/05 02:27 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

If you want to email the list, go for it! I can't promise a reply tonight, because I'm getting ready for a yard sale (good grief, I must be nuts, but I need cash!), but I *can* pick somebody for you by Sunday.

I betcha I'm more of a perfectionist than you are, and I KNOW I'm a worse procrastinator. But we won't argue about that right now.

Re: Why can't you get another doctor? new
      #208900 - 08/26/05 02:32 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Beth, I don't understand why you can't get another doctor. Also, I don't understand why you don't follow the delayed gastric emptying diet guidelines as you say you have that condition. Obviously, your doctor stinks! You're not getting appropriate attention and your life seems to be deteriorating. That's hardly fair.

Kate.

Beth new
      #208925 - 08/26/05 03:24 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Yeah, it's a lousy situation to be in isn't it? Sometimes I feel like I'm just hanging on to the edge, and that I'm either going to have a complete nervous break or kill myself. Thankfully those thoughts are less common now, but they still happen

As for the Klonopin, what I can tell you is that it's one of the more potent benzos and very small changes in dose can be effective...so for example, you wouldn't necessarily have to take 2mg at bedtime if 1mg isn't cutting it, you could try 1.5 or even 1.25...I even know people who do 1.15...you just have to find the right balance, obviously you don't want to be so groggy you can't wake up in the morning but you don't want to suffer either.

As for whether it would help during the day, it should help a little, but again you don't want to overdo it. I know sometimes if I'm extra tired for some reason and I take a full dose before bed I am practically comatose when I try and get up. I can give you an example of how it works for me (I have a screwed up sleeping schedule) and hopefully that'll help you. I don't normally go to bed until sometime between 2-3am...that's when I take the Klonopin. I get up around noon (I know terrible) and I find I don't need my "afternoon" dose of Klonopin until 5ish...so it does help me a little in the morning. It is one of the longest lasting benzos out there. I have a friend who is a pharmacist and this is what she told me: " the half life of clonazepam is 18-50 hours (half life is the time it
takes for the drug to drop to a level of 50% of its activity)." Now whether it's 18 or 50 depends on how your body metabolizes meds, but it's something to go on

As for the therapist, I actually haven't seen her yet (I have my first appointment on Tuesday) but was encouraged by the way she sounded on the phone (and I liked that she answered her own calls). I'll let you know how it goes I wasn't looking specifically for a female, in fact, I often do better with males for some reason, just the way it worked out.

Hope you're feeling better,
Kelly

#208983 - 08/26/05 06:47 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Beth-
I am so sorry you are having such a rough time right now. I wish I could help in some way. Just know that I am thinking of you and care about you! We would never evict you from here. You are such a kind hearted person and deserve only the best. Find a doctor who cares about you!! You owe that to yourself. *hugs*

Thank you Angela new
      #208987 - 08/26/05 06:53 PM
Augie

You missed the "break down" post earlier in the week. I was really afraid to "bare it all", but the support I got helped me tremendously.

I've said it before...I believe only very special people get IBS...or at least the one's on this board!

You know, until I just read your post, it didn't even occur to me that I deserve a decent doctor. I tend to have a pretty low self worth gene in me.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Thank you Angela new
      #208990 - 08/26/05 06:56 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Your right I did miss that post. I have been busy all this week with work and my laptop crashed last week so I don't have a computer at work right now. You are worth alot Beth and you need to take care of yourself!! Find someone who will take good care of you as well.

Kate new
      #208994 - 08/26/05 07:02 PM
Augie

I have been very worried about hurting his feelings by leaving him. I know you may not be able to understand that, but I kept wanting him to work for me...and to help me before I gave up on him. I think he is a good man, deep down, as he has never charged me for a visit and did an endoscopy on me for free because I have no money.

Also, I just realized that I didn't think I deserved to have another doctor. I trusted the doctor more than I trust myself. I think there is something wrong with me since he is a doctor and very intelligent.

As far as the delayed gastric emptying diet, I've been afaid to go low fiber as my constipation is awful and my doctor does not want to prescribe Miralax...so I might never go if I don't eat fiber.

I'll let the new doctor advise me...if I don't chicken out seeing him. I'm already feeling sort of sad and disloyal to my old GI doctor. I know he really cares about me deep down and I don't want to hurt him.

--------------------
~ Beth

Oh my MIchelle new
      #208998 - 08/26/05 07:13 PM
Augie

You're post just brought me to tears. Yes, yes, yes, this is how I feel...these are my thoughts, fears, wonders.... My goodnes, you did put your thoughts into words perfectly!

It's as if you are in my mind! You really get it! You really know how I am feeling and what my fears are, and everything!

I'm definitely borrowing some of your faith, my friend. Your words really touch deep inside me...thank you for these words...thank you for sharing your thoughts with me...and thank you for your continual prayers and for helping to teach me more about my God. I need Him so much...I need to believe and trust in His path for me, though I do not understand why He allows me, and others, to suffer.

I wish I had your faith and trust in His plan...and that I could accept it without doubting Him and getting angry.

Your hugs, love, and friendship make me feel very lucky. May God bless you.

I love you so much.

--------------------
~ Beth

#208999 - 08/26/05 07:15 PM
lalala

Beth, that's terrible for your doctor to treat you that way! His job is to HELP you, not go over Philosophy 101. It sounds like he needs a career change or an attitude adjustment.

This is a good plan Ruchie new
      #209001 - 08/26/05 07:26 PM
Augie

...it will take time and patience...but maybe if I could call one person a day, I could have one in a couple weeks. I did call one person today and really liked her, but she isn't covered by insurance!

I like the idea about if they don't have time to talk to you for 5 minutes, then cross them off right away. That's smart! How many therapists did you actually see in person before you found one to keep?

You know, the night I was in the "dark, scary place" I thought of you and Alicia. I just knew that both of you would understand how it feels to be in that horrible place.

BTW, my doctor will not prescribe xanax. He doesn't believe in it. Weird how different doctors have their own drug preferences. I never heard of ativan.

--------------------
~ Beth

I think he was trying to prove how smart he is! new
      #209002 - 08/26/05 07:31 PM
Augie

By quoting me Ancient philosophers. That, and the fact that he doesn't think there is anything really wrong with me except for "my bowel obsession", so why not spend our time together chatting about philosophy! And I just sat and listened, then got up and left when my time was over.

Actually, his nurse, whom I adore, told me she thinks he is way overdue for retirement. Not because he's real old, but because he isn't serving his patients anymore. My OB knows him and told me he thinks the guy has some sort of chip on his shoulder.

--------------------
~ Beth

#209017 - 08/26/05 08:12 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

Beth,
I'm here to talk any time you need me, here or on email. I'm so sorry you're feeling so lost right now, but God is there and He will comfort you if you let him. And do NOT give up!!!
Love and hugs!~

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: Kate new
      #209024 - 08/26/05 08:26 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Beth:

YOU DESERVE ANOTHER DOCTOR. This MD is causing you harm. You are not improving. You are not receiving adequete care. He is doing a disservice to you and you in turn are doing a bad deed to yourself--you could feel so much better with more knowledge, more attention, more advice.

If you love yourself and life, get a new doctor. When you start considering suicide and life is misery and painful, that's when it's beyond overdue.

Please--see a new doctor. You are worth it, you are worthy.
You are lovable and capable and life is not only about suffering.

Kate.

#209029 - 08/26/05 08:42 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Beth -- try dealing with one thing at a time. Take care of your health first, worry about the job/apartment later. OK, that's a stupid thing to say, I know you are technically worrying about it NOW, but try to push the worries away -- tell yourself "I'll deal with it later".

I didn't read all of the replies, but you mentioned your worries over seeing a new GI who's right across the hall from your old GI. I totally understand about not wanting to hurt the feelings of the old one. Yeah, he was a jerk, but it was still very good of him not to charge you anything. On the other hand, he charged you exactly what his medical advice was worth! If you're really concerned about this, don't go to the GI who's right across the hall -- find a GI who's at a different location. I guess I should say that you should just say to !@#$ with him and go to the other GI, but I know in your situation I wouldn't be able to do it. You don't have to tell them you're switching, either. Just tell them you need a copy of your records (you'll probably have to pay a processing fee, mine was $10). You can say you want them for yourself, you don't have to tell them you're going to another doctor.

As for picking a counselor ... it's tough to know how they'll be. But remember -- YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO BACK. If you don't like him/her, then switch. Period. Don't worry about hurting their feelings. Most likely they won't care anyway.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Beth new
      #209033 - 08/26/05 09:09 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Beth, so glad to see you posting. Everyone was so worried about you. I'm so sorry you're in such a tough place right now and that I can't do much more than reach out through cyberspace and give you an enormous HUG.

I will tell you that switching my family doctor when I was getting diagnosed with IBS was the BEST thing I've ever done for myself. My old family doc was a complete a$$hole (his main job was as a plastic surgeon...!). He was absolutely terrible and completely and unnecessarily MEAN. I'm also a person who is terrified of doctors/hospitals so this was like hell for me. As a result I never went to him for anything even when I really should have seen a doctor for something. When my family was convincing me to see a doctor for my IBS (then undiagnosed) I had one condition - I was switching doctors. Since I had taken to going to the walk-in clinic all the time for any complaints instead of going to my doctor (this usually meant waiting HOURS in the waiting room, and sometimes have to come back the next day, so you can see how much I hated that guy ) ... anyway, at the walk-in clinic I met a wonderful doctor who is the most sympathetic and easy going doctor I've ever met. I wrote him a letter asking him to take me on as a patient, and he called (personally, from home) and agreed, even though he is/was already swamped and really not able to take on more patients.

It was the best thing I've ever done. I can't even express how much better I feel about my condition because I have a very supportive doctor. I still think these boards are superior anyday but it's so nice to have a doctor who will talk to you one-on-one, really listen to what you have to say in a very sympathetic way and not just throw pills at you and walk out the door.

Phew! OK so that's my story I totally understand how you feel bad about leaving your current GI doc and such, but I really think you owe it to yourself to seek out better care. I'm sure your doctor will get over it. PLEASE at least go see this new doctor.

Anyway, I'm sure you already have lots of people offering but if you're looking for someone else to chat with anytime, you have my email.

I wish you much happiness and good health, Beth. You SO deserve it. HUGS.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 133 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11556

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review