All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
UPDATE new
      #208673 - 08/26/05 04:28 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

First of all... THANK YOU, everyone, for the good thoughts, well-wishes, ideas, and tips. You guys rock!

His #$#^(^#(^#%*^#*@ job has him WORKING today, at 8am, on his day off. So not only is this his second week in a row of only having one day off, but he's obviously not able to go out and look for any other jobs. He's going to plan on it for NEXT Friday, and hopefully they won't make him work then too.

As for me... I should have mentioned that there's only so much I can do. I don't have a car, so I'm not only limited to what I can reasonably walk to, but as far as supplies go, to what I can reasonably carry when I walk - which isn't much. Yardwork, for example, where you typically have to have your own equipment with you, is out. Ideally, I'll think of something else I can do from here in my office, but so far I just don't even have any ideas at all.

I was up all night, panicking about money and how the he** we're going to afford to buy heating oil this winter. We spent close to $400 a month last winter, and with prices rising, it's going to be worse this year. Argh.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: UPDATE new
      #208675 - 08/26/05 04:52 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Casey, you're so radiant and magnetic that you could easily sell a ****load of cosmetics/skin lotions or whatever. I know it's tacky--but you'd be really good.

Babysitting is another stupid idea I came up with--I'm not sure if it's your speed.

And, of course, there is always dogwalking. Catsitting?

I think I like the last two suggestions, best.

Sorry you were worrying about $$$ all night long. I hope a $$$ fairy visits you're place soon.

Kate.

#208682 - 08/26/05 05:10 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Hey Casey,

I don't know much about Maine geography. Is there any reason you guys can't just share the car? We only have one car, so we have to organize our schedules so we both get where we need to go. Sometimes it's a pain, like dropping Eric off at 6:45 am, so I can get to school and get a parking spot and then teach at 8 am. There's a fair amount of compromise and waiting around for each other, but it does work, and we both do all our job things.

Is this not a possibility?

#208693 - 08/26/05 06:00 AM
atomic rose

Well, to be fair, he carpools with a friend of his, so I do end up with the car a couple days a week. The problem is that I can't reliably say that I have the car on, say, Tuesdays and Thursdays, for example, to be able to get a part-time job up here and be able to give them any kind of set availability... so for all intents and purposes, I don't have a car. There's also no public transportation, and I don't have any friends or family that I could depend on for rides.

Driving him around and dropping him off on days I need the car isn't an option. His workplace is an hour away, and with gas prices being what they are, there's definitely *not* going to be extra trips in any direction. I'd have to get a job down that way, but the job market here is such that I'm not counting on that, either. I've found out the hard way, when looking for jobs in the very recent past, that nobody is interested in hiring a thirtysomething who's been voluntarily out of the job market for 5 years now.

Casey new
      #208694 - 08/26/05 06:07 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Honey I am so sorry your having such a rough time right now! HUGE HUGS!!!! Can you get on a budget plan or maybe make payment argments for you heating oil. I know in the winter I have to go on the budget plan because I can't affored 400.00 a month either, and that is what ours was last year. What they do here is you pay say 200.00 a month in the winter and then make up the rest during summer. Just a thought.

Have you thought about doing some craft shows and selling your knitting? I KNOW people would pay some big money for stuff like that ESP with christmas coming!! You could drive hubby to work in the moring then do your craft show then pick him back up. It sounds like he has funky days off like Rich does. Rich's days off are Thursday and Friday, and every other weekend because he works 12 hour shifts. HATE IT!!!! LOL

I hope things start calming down for yo soon honey!! I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts always!!!

HUGS!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

#208695 - 08/26/05 06:12 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Casey,

I'm sorry you are having to go through such a tough time. Wish there was something I could do.

Is it possible for you to use an elecric space heater in the winter. We have a furnace but hate to heat the whole house while we are in one room. We use the electric space heater and it works pretty well. Just a thought.

I know about the high cost of utilities. Our electric bill in the summer months which here is from June thru Oct runs about $430, too. It sucks but we can't live without the AC in this scorching humid heat.

Good luck & keep us posted
Barbie

--------------------

#208706 - 08/26/05 06:41 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Ya, I liek the idea of selling cosmetics! Casey?

LOL... new
      #208709 - 08/26/05 06:44 AM
atomic rose

I used to sell Mary Kay. I was HORRIBLE at it. Like, I can't even emphasize how really, really bad of a salesperson I really am. I'm terribly shy in person, and that just doesn't work for anyone who's trying to sell something.

Good thought, though, guys. LOL!

what about ..... new
      #208711 - 08/26/05 06:55 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

putting an ad in the paper (or posted at the supermarket etc.) for taking orders for knitting. What kind do you do? I knew a woman who was always the first to sell out at the annual crafts fair and she had all childrens hats and baby sweaters etc. Another girl I know used to take orders for baby blankets (and she did a lousy job). Another woman makes hats. She even has people working for her now. She sells them in fancy boutiques. She found a simple hat pattern and crocheted a design on them. If you are in a small town word of mouth is all you need once you get started. I used to decorate wedding cakes and never advertised. You're in Maine, so hats and scarf sets should sell good, too.
Good luck.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

ding dong .... new
      #208712 - 08/26/05 06:57 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I was an Avon lady. UGH. Same as you Casey. Shy and a lousy salesperson. My best customer was a 70 yr. old transvestite. oh, what we do to pay the bills.......

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1235 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16375

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review