All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
I don't normally do this kind of thing, but...
      #208159 - 08/24/05 12:03 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Adam's job, to be totally blunt about it, SUCKS. The pay is crap, the work environment blows, and now they're jerking him around with the hours and the schedule... all of this on top of him driving 60 miles each way to get there, which with current gas prices is sucking up about a quarter of his paycheck. He's not even getting medical insurance out of the deal, because we couldn't afford to have any more taken out of his check.

Soooo....

This Friday, he's going to be job-hunting up here in the local area. He's tried looking in the paper and online at job postings with absolutely no luck, so he's going to try his luck just driving around and going to every business he can think of. We're getting a little desperate. With colder weather coming, we literally cannot afford to buy any heating fuel, and to say that I'm freaking out a little is an understatement.

If you pray, if you light candles, however you send up wishes and thoughts to the deity of your choice or the universe at large, I'm asking for a few good thoughts Adam's way, if you can spare them. We've lived together for 2 years now, and we seriously just CANNOT catch a break - health problems, job losses, car problems, my ebay stuff has been SO slow - our luck is just awful. We NEED a break, and we need it before October.

Thanks for any good thoughts you can spare, guys. And hey, if you have small-town job-hunting tips, share those too. *hugs*

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I don't normally do this kind of thing, but... new
      #208161 - 08/24/05 12:09 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Oh Casey dear. You have had some tough breaks.

I will send you some postive vibes right now in hopes that Adam finds something promising job-wise soon.

I'm sorry your e-bay business isn't going well. Is there anything you can do to bring in some money? I know you knit very well. You also take beautiful photographs. Hmmm...

I'm sorry and I hope you guys catch a break soon. I don't want you and Adam freezing in the winter (again)

p.s. Have you considered modeling, Casey?

Definitely can do.... new
      #208163 - 08/24/05 12:17 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

sending lots of positive and happy vibes you and Adam's way.

No good job-hunting suggestions. My mom's been trying to find a job as well, and it hasn't been going well. My roommate's been looking for a job for over a year, and has only been able to find a temp job that ended last week. Be persistent within reason is the only thing I know of.

Best of luck!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Sending prayers your way -nt- new
      #208164 - 08/24/05 12:21 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Been there--lots of prayers for you both!--nt new
      #208165 - 08/24/05 12:24 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

--------------------

#208170 - 08/24/05 12:38 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Casey,

Don't worry about asking for prayers and good thoughts...that's what we're here for! I'll be thinking about him and I really hope you guys catch a break soon

Will keep you and Adam in my prayers---nt--- new
      #208171 - 08/24/05 12:42 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

#208174 - 08/24/05 12:45 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

You'll both be in my prayers. XO

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#208175 - 08/24/05 12:48 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Sending lots of positive energy your way, Casey!

This really sucks... it really does show how strong of a love you and Adam have for each other to make it through all that you have been for the past two years.

Everyone gets their break sometime, just hang in there! (I know, I know, that is ALOT easier said)

((HUGS))

By the way- Not that it would really help you much, but what kind of ebay stuff do you have? I never buy off of it, but I am moving into a new apt tomorrow with the BF, so we can both save money (and not be homeless), and I may be in the need for various stuff... it will be hard to tell til we have everything arranged and unpacked though.

--------------------
-Sheri

#208178 - 08/24/05 12:54 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I hope he finds something suitable soon! I know the job market is crappy right now and with you guys living in a small town, it must be very difficult to find decent work! What type of work does he or is he willing to do?

I hope your ebay stuff picks up. Honestly, I've never done the e-bay thing so I haven't any advice there. I will most definitely keep you and Adam in my thoughts! Hugs!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#208182 - 08/24/05 01:08 PM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

Oh Casey, I feel so badly. Please keept the faith. I will keep you and Adam in my prayers.

--------------------

I just felt like I had to respond... new
      #208185 - 08/24/05 01:15 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

As I read your post, I thought to myself, "Self, that sounds like me!" I know the details are different, but my family and I have bounced from one bad situation from another for over 7 years now. The company I work for (and I am the sole income right now for the four of us) is about to close, all four of us have now been diagnosed with a chronic health issue, 2 of which are very serious, and the fuel prices, and upcoming winter months loom ahead like a dark cloud.

HOWEVER, my hope lies in a God who knows my every thought and need, and He knows yours too! So, as I lay my burdens in His almighty hands, please know that I will be praying for you too! We live in hard times. But, He is faithful!!

You are a terrific addition to this board, and I really admire you! I hope things turn around for both of us very soon!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#208195 - 08/24/05 01:38 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Good thoughts & vibes coming your way!

A few years ago, I was job-hunting in small-town Iowa. Now, it wasn't a big help in the end, but I did sign up with the state employment agency and got a couple of interviews out of it. It wasn't just for state jobs, either. I believe each county seat in the state had such an office. Does Maine have anything like that he could register with?

#208199 - 08/24/05 02:08 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I'm thinking of you and Adam and sending positive thoughts your way. I'm hoping your bad luck gets balanced out by good luck.

Casey and Bamagirl.... new
      #208200 - 08/24/05 02:18 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

I will be praying for you both. I too believe that God is faithful and He will meet our every need. We just need to leave our worries in His ever do capable hands!

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Casey...what about yardwork or cleaning houses? Is that an option for you? ~nt~ new
      #208202 - 08/24/05 02:24 PM
poochibelly

--------------------

Re: Candles burning bright new
      #208205 - 08/24/05 02:33 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I've sparked some "Jasmine Brown Sugar." Hope that which you desire comes your way, a.s.a.p.

Kate.

Good luck to you, Casey! new
      #208221 - 08/24/05 03:46 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

You deserve a break!! Here's hoping you get it, and quick!

~nelly~

Re: Good luck to you, Casey! new
      #208231 - 08/24/05 04:15 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

thinking of you Casey, hope your luck changes soon- let us know how Adam gets on..

--------------------
S.

Pullin for ya, Casey!...... new
      #208248 - 08/24/05 04:48 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

I think driving around town is a great idea. He might come across something with a help wanted sign in the window.

I think the gas he spends getting to and from work is a big problem. Even taking a cut in pay would be better if he was closer to home.

Is there an employment agency nearby? I don't know what type of work Adam does but has he thought about changing careers? What about working at a Walmart or something similar. They have great opportunities to move up to management and from what I understand they pay pretty well and have benefits, too.

Have you ever tried electric space heaters in the winter? We have a gas furnace but sometimes rather than heat the whole house we use a space heater in the room we're in and with a nice little blankie it keeps up toasty.

Casey, I'm praying and hoping for good luck in Adam's job hunting.

Barbie

--------------------

#208250 - 08/24/05 05:06 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

Praying for you Casey...I hope this bad spell ends NOW and you both have only good luck and beautiful health from now on!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#208253 - 08/24/05 05:20 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Good luck. New England can be hell in the winter. Do you live near any winter resort areas? On Cape Cod we work our a$$es off all summer and starve in the winter. I know people who have winter biz in the ski resorts and summer biz on the Cape. I don't even WANT to know what the price of oil is this winter. Maybe you can do a lot of snuggling.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

#208256 - 08/24/05 05:36 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Awwww Casey I'm sorry your luck has been crappy lately. You certainly don't deserve it You are and I'm sure Adam are two wonderful people and how does the saying go? Bad things always happen to good people. It's just not fair!! I hope Adam finds a better job and your Ebay selling goes better. (If I can help out I'm a size 5 shoe and a size 0-1(XS)clothes )

Here's good luck coming your way ><><><><><><><><><><><>

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Big Hugs and prayers are coming your way.....:).nt new
      #208260 - 08/24/05 06:05 PM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

*hugs* Hoping for you both -nt- new
      #208265 - 08/24/05 06:19 PM
Sailing Away

Reged: 03/31/05

#208287 - 08/24/05 08:06 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

good luck with everything!

I hope something turns up for him soon.

Another idea is to think about babysitting. I know its not that awesome, but people in boston pay 15 dollars an hour (and sometimes thats only for one kid). It could help with some extra cash.

--------------------

Good thoughts, here they come! new
      #208294 - 08/24/05 09:45 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi Casey,

I am sorry that you are going through a stressful time right now. Even before you said something similar in your post, I thought to myself "Man, they just can't catch a break". I know that you have struggled a lot in the past, I am sorry that it has come to a head right now with Adam's job and stuff.
And I TOTALLY hear what you are saying about gas prices!

Anyway, I really hope that you get some very well deserved good news or good luck or whatever. I am sending loads of good thoughts and wishes your way, and I hope they get to both you and Adam.

Good luck, we're here for you if you ever wanna talk or vent or anything remember!
**hugs**
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#208317 - 08/25/05 04:30 AM
atomic rose

Hah! I wish people paid that much for babysitters up here - I'd do it for a living! $15/hr would be amazing money up here! But I think as a babysitter I'd be lucky to get $10 for a whole evening. People up here don't pay for babysitters - they get family to watch the kids.

But a good thought. Thanks!

Hmm.... new
      #208319 - 08/25/05 04:34 AM
atomic rose

Yardwork might be a possibility, with fall cleanup coming upon us. Housecleaning, not so much so. Like I mentioned to Ashley, this is a really poor rural area - most of the people here are on some kind of government assistance, and a lot of them live off the state completely - there's not much money to toss around for things like housecleaners.

But that's a good thought, about the yardwork - I don't know how long I could hold up doing that, but I just might give it a shot. Thanks!

Modeling!? new
      #208320 - 08/25/05 04:36 AM
atomic rose

Bless your crazy heart, Tina, I'm not pretty enough, thin enough, or even tall enough to model. LOL! But a really flattering thought - thank you!

It would be something you and Adam could do together. ~nt~ new
      #208321 - 08/25/05 04:37 AM
poochibelly

--------------------

I'm late but will certainly pray for you and Adam - let us hear! nt new
      #208325 - 08/25/05 05:00 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Re: Modeling!? new
      #208327 - 08/25/05 05:18 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

My girl is a sweetie with an idealistic mind. That is why I love her. But hey, most of the time, she is right!

--------------------

#208333 - 08/25/05 05:50 AM
tc2004

Reged: 05/26/04

Casey,
Sending prayers and hugs to you and Adam. I hope things get better soon..

Terry

Re: Modeling!? new
      #208336 - 08/25/05 06:30 AM
Sara-Sage

Casey! You totally could model!!! Just wear heels! he he

You are pretty enough and I know you've gained some weight but I'm sure your body still looks great!

#208487 - 08/25/05 11:11 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Sending loads of good thoughts and positive energy for you guys! I really hope things start looking up for you! Hugs

#208493 - 08/25/05 11:14 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

best of luck to both of you- I know what your talking about..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

More prayers for Adam and Casey new
      #208628 - 08/25/05 07:46 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I pray that Adam make some good contacts tomorrow on his journey for a more stable and peaceful job.

Lord knows you both have been patient enough, and have struggled enough. You are an inspiration to me, Casey. You and Adam deserve some freedom from the stresses of working in a crappy job, living on low pay, having no insurance, and always worrying about what may be around the next corner.

And even if nothing is confirmed tomorrow, you never know who he may meet that may affect him in the future. Networking. Getting your name and face out there. May someone he sees tomorrow bring some answers and solutions either immediately, or in the very near future.

Lots of love, hugs, and good thoughts to my dearest of friends.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

*big hugs* to you, Beth new
      #208633 - 08/25/05 08:22 PM
atomic rose

You have no idea how this made me smile. Thank you!

As it happens, he won't be able to job-hunt tomorrow after all. Work wants him in at 8am... on his freaking day off. (And no, he doesn't get Saturday off in exchange.) So he'll have to try for NEXT Friday.

He's exhausted, and he's asleep right now. I'm worn out too, but it's the kind of tired that sleep doesn't help. You know how that goes.

*big hugs* back atcha.

#208668 - 08/26/05 12:12 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

BIG good luck wishes coming your way. Jobhunting sucks, but although it can be soul-destroying, contacting all the business is the right thing to do IMHO. Calling them first might be a good idea tho.

GOOD LUCK!!!

PS. Si's gonna start looking for a new job now - he had his review yesterday and his boss actually told him that he'd wanted to give him a decent pay-rise but didn't after talking to Si's supervisor. The jerk is stomping on all Si's opportunities at that place. And we could REALLY do with more money coming in.

UPDATE new
      #208673 - 08/26/05 04:28 AM
atomic rose

First of all... THANK YOU, everyone, for the good thoughts, well-wishes, ideas, and tips. You guys rock!

His #$#^(^#(^#%*^#*@ job has him WORKING today, at 8am, on his day off. So not only is this his second week in a row of only having one day off, but he's obviously not able to go out and look for any other jobs. He's going to plan on it for NEXT Friday, and hopefully they won't make him work then too.

As for me... I should have mentioned that there's only so much I can do. I don't have a car, so I'm not only limited to what I can reasonably walk to, but as far as supplies go, to what I can reasonably carry when I walk - which isn't much. Yardwork, for example, where you typically have to have your own equipment with you, is out. Ideally, I'll think of something else I can do from here in my office, but so far I just don't even have any ideas at all.

I was up all night, panicking about money and how the he** we're going to afford to buy heating oil this winter. We spent close to $400 a month last winter, and with prices rising, it's going to be worse this year. Argh.

Re: UPDATE new
      #208675 - 08/26/05 04:52 AM
Wind

Casey, you're so radiant and magnetic that you could easily sell a ****load of cosmetics/skin lotions or whatever. I know it's tacky--but you'd be really good.

Babysitting is another stupid idea I came up with--I'm not sure if it's your speed.

And, of course, there is always dogwalking. Catsitting?

I think I like the last two suggestions, best.

Sorry you were worrying about $$$ all night long. I hope a $$$ fairy visits you're place soon.

Kate.

#208682 - 08/26/05 05:10 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Hey Casey,

I don't know much about Maine geography. Is there any reason you guys can't just share the car? We only have one car, so we have to organize our schedules so we both get where we need to go. Sometimes it's a pain, like dropping Eric off at 6:45 am, so I can get to school and get a parking spot and then teach at 8 am. There's a fair amount of compromise and waiting around for each other, but it does work, and we both do all our job things.

Is this not a possibility?

#208693 - 08/26/05 06:00 AM
atomic rose

Well, to be fair, he carpools with a friend of his, so I do end up with the car a couple days a week. The problem is that I can't reliably say that I have the car on, say, Tuesdays and Thursdays, for example, to be able to get a part-time job up here and be able to give them any kind of set availability... so for all intents and purposes, I don't have a car. There's also no public transportation, and I don't have any friends or family that I could depend on for rides.

Driving him around and dropping him off on days I need the car isn't an option. His workplace is an hour away, and with gas prices being what they are, there's definitely *not* going to be extra trips in any direction. I'd have to get a job down that way, but the job market here is such that I'm not counting on that, either. I've found out the hard way, when looking for jobs in the very recent past, that nobody is interested in hiring a thirtysomething who's been voluntarily out of the job market for 5 years now.

Casey new
      #208694 - 08/26/05 06:07 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Honey I am so sorry your having such a rough time right now! HUGE HUGS!!!! Can you get on a budget plan or maybe make payment argments for you heating oil. I know in the winter I have to go on the budget plan because I can't affored 400.00 a month either, and that is what ours was last year. What they do here is you pay say 200.00 a month in the winter and then make up the rest during summer. Just a thought.

Have you thought about doing some craft shows and selling your knitting? I KNOW people would pay some big money for stuff like that ESP with christmas coming!! You could drive hubby to work in the moring then do your craft show then pick him back up. It sounds like he has funky days off like Rich does. Rich's days off are Thursday and Friday, and every other weekend because he works 12 hour shifts. HATE IT!!!! LOL

I hope things start calming down for yo soon honey!! I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts always!!!

HUGS!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

#208695 - 08/26/05 06:12 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04

Hi Casey,

I'm sorry you are having to go through such a tough time. Wish there was something I could do.

Is it possible for you to use an elecric space heater in the winter. We have a furnace but hate to heat the whole house while we are in one room. We use the electric space heater and it works pretty well. Just a thought.

I know about the high cost of utilities. Our electric bill in the summer months which here is from June thru Oct runs about $430, too. It sucks but we can't live without the AC in this scorching humid heat.

Good luck & keep us posted
Barbie

--------------------

#208706 - 08/26/05 06:41 AM
Sara-Sage

Ya, I liek the idea of selling cosmetics! Casey?

LOL... new
      #208709 - 08/26/05 06:44 AM
atomic rose

I used to sell Mary Kay. I was HORRIBLE at it. Like, I can't even emphasize how really, really bad of a salesperson I really am. I'm terribly shy in person, and that just doesn't work for anyone who's trying to sell something.

Good thought, though, guys. LOL!

what about ..... new
      #208711 - 08/26/05 06:55 AM
Portageegal

putting an ad in the paper (or posted at the supermarket etc.) for taking orders for knitting. What kind do you do? I knew a woman who was always the first to sell out at the annual crafts fair and she had all childrens hats and baby sweaters etc. Another girl I know used to take orders for baby blankets (and she did a lousy job). Another woman makes hats. She even has people working for her now. She sells them in fancy boutiques. She found a simple hat pattern and crocheted a design on them. If you are in a small town word of mouth is all you need once you get started. I used to decorate wedding cakes and never advertised. You're in Maine, so hats and scarf sets should sell good, too.
Good luck.

--------------------
Carol

ding dong .... new
      #208712 - 08/26/05 06:57 AM
Portageegal

I was an Avon lady. UGH. Same as you Casey. Shy and a lousy salesperson. My best customer was a 70 yr. old transvestite. oh, what we do to pay the bills.......

--------------------
Carol

AND new
      #208713 - 08/26/05 06:59 AM
Portageegal

you can have them contact you and come to your house to view samples and pick up orders so you won't need the car.

--------------------
Carol

As far as the heating bills... new
      #208758 - 08/26/05 09:20 AM
karyash

Reged: 04/11/05
Loc: Fargo, ND

Can you get government assistance for that? In ND, we have "Heating Assistance" for lower income people. They pay a portion of your heat bill depending on your income. Maybe you could check into that?

Kristi

Re: As far as the heating bills... new
      #208786 - 08/26/05 10:12 AM
atomic rose

Yeah, we have that here too. There's a huge waiting list for it, and at last count (last winter) we didn't qualify anyway. (Apparently they really want people to freeze to death.) But checking into that again is definitely on our to-do list for next week. Thanks for the reminder.

Well, at least... new
      #208850 - 08/26/05 12:46 PM
Augie

he will be making a little extra money And they should be paying him overtime pay (1 1/2 his salary).

You sure you and Adam don't want to move somewhere warmer, with better job opportunities with me, Casey? It would be so much easier to do it together.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Well, at least... new
      #208855 - 08/26/05 12:48 PM
Sara-Sage

Ya Casey, I was thinking the same thing. Would you consider moving somwhere warmer that doesn't have ice cold winters that cost you so much to heat your house?

I suggest NYC...... Ok, it's not much warmer there.

NO WAY new
      #208893 - 08/26/05 02:19 PM
atomic rose

I love Maine so much... it's hard to explain, but if ever I were to really believe in destiny, I would say that I'm destined to live here. I knew when I was a kid, before I even knew ANYTHING about Maine, that I would end up living here. No joke!

So nope. I'd rather freeze than move. And if Adam ever wanted to move, he'd have to leave without me.

#208911 - 08/26/05 02:41 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Casey, prayers are going up for you and Adam right now. I hope he finds something perfect for him. You guys definitely deserve a lucky break.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: NO WAY new
      #208914 - 08/26/05 02:42 PM
Wind

Casey--
I don't blame you for refusing to move. I'd love to live in Stephen King country! Yes, Maine has good energy, good vibes. It's where your heart is. Dig those heels into the ground.

Kate.

Re: NO WAY new
      #208917 - 08/26/05 02:46 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Casey, what about selling something else, like PartyLite candles or Discovery Toys? There are all sorts of companies looking for that kind of salesperson, not just cosmetics. I know my mom used to sell cleaning products when I was younger. Just a thought!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Another Stephen King fan! new
      #208922 - 08/26/05 03:16 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I love his books as well, other than Harry Potter, his books are my favorites!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Re: Another Stephen King fan! new
      #208969 - 08/26/05 05:55 PM
Wind

Ditto. Jane Rowlings and Stephen King save me from myself during the 'witching hours!' (I don't sleep!) (Well, I sort of do, but it's in the afternoons, and it's more 'kate-napping.") Do you like Dean Koontz? Another authour I reread time and time and time again is David Eddings. I like both Jonathan and Faye Kellerman, as well. Oh, and how can I neglect Terry Brooks! (I think this is one of those never-ending lists, but King and Rowlings are in the top ten.)

Kate.

#209037 - 08/26/05 10:40 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Oh Casey... I'm so sorry you are dealing with all of this.... I'm thinking of you and your honey right now...as I watch the flickering of the flame on my candle.... (coffee hazelnut scent by the way)

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

I have an idea for you. new
      #209089 - 08/27/05 11:18 AM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

Since I've been on EI this summer(UI for you Americans) I posted a resume on Monster.com, and have had a few hits and 4 job offers already-it's only been like 2 weeks it's been on there. I'm sure if you mention you like to work form home on that monster webpage, you'd get hits on it and people would contact you.

And Tina is totally right, you could TOTALLY model.

Let me know if that monster thing is feasible for you.
hugs and love, I know how scary money can be.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Carol! new
      #209099 - 08/27/05 11:54 AM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

Whoa girl, that's a great idea! you're so cute-"I will not stop till we find Casey Work!!"

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

ROFL!! new
      #209101 - 08/27/05 12:09 PM
atomic rose

You guys crack me up! We're supposed to be finding ADAM work! LOL!!

But seriously... I'm taking all these ideas into consideration (well, ok, except the modeling one ), even if I'm not commenting specifically to them. Now back outside for me - I'm in the middle of a yard sale right now - yay money!

How do you post a resume... new
      #209168 - 08/27/05 07:12 PM
Augie

on a web search like Monster.com? I want to do that but don't know how?

--------------------
~ Beth

I'm way late on this but ... new
      #210112 - 08/31/05 10:57 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I saw this when you posted it, but didn't have any suggestions then. I still don't have any job-hunting tips for Adam, but as far as something else you could do, this morning cupcakes popped into my mind, so:

Baking - You could put together a Dessert of the Day for local diners, cafes, whatever. If they're near you or near where Adam works or in between, he could drop them off on his way to work. If you keep it small enough, you might be able to stay under the radar as far as Health Department, licensing, and so on. (I'd be happy to give you a couple of my gooiest, most IBS-unsafe dessert recipes. Heaven knows I'll never make them again. )

Make a quilt - This seems like a very Maine winter thing to do. You can piece it on the sewing machine and even quilt it by machine, but I think you'd get more if you quilted it by hand. I don't know if you could get these prices, but hopefully you could get a decent amount of money. You could offer custom quilts, too, made from customers' favorite fabrics or treasured pieces of clothing. And years ago I found a woman who did quilt wall hangings in unusual fabrics - silk, corduroy, feathers, sequins. They were spectacular. Furthermore, if you'd do quilt repairs, I'd be first in line.

HTH. Good luck to you both.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 587 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16167

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review