Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
My cat is sick and I'm at the end of my rope
      #207553 - 08/22/05 04:46 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Guys,

I just got back from the vet and my cat is sick I don't know what to do...I'm so fragile right now and having so many mental problems and now to find this out it's just awful. They're not sure what's wrong with him, it could be anything from IBD or Colitis (ironic huh?) to parasites to lymphoma. They gave us IBD type antibiotics/anti-inflammatory meds to try and are running a fecal, but if it doesn't show parasites he may need an ultrasound and biopsy. We don't have the money for this and I'm just so upset. I can't go back to work, I don't think they'd even let me at this point, but my baby is only 2 1/2 years old and I'm not going to let him die just because our money is tight.

I loathe having to ask my father for help and he would only do it as a loan, but I'm thinking that's what I'll have to do And I really don't want to. We have insurance for him but it's the most comphrehensive so it might not cover the cancer depending on the kind (if that's what it is) and cancer has a large deductible (of course). I mean, I've never dealt with this before so I don't know what ultrasounds and biopsies cost...but I imagine it's not cheap. And I don't want my little guy to suffer...he's so young and I just can't believe this is happening. I seriously feel like this is what is going to push me over the edge

Sorry for whining, it's just, he's practically my only companion right now. BF works tons and I'm always home because I'm sick, and he's always here...I can't have something happen to him.

Thanks for listening guys,
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My cat is sick and I'm at the end of my rope new
      #207560 - 08/22/05 04:58 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I just wanted to say I'm sorry you and your cat are having to go through this. It's so sad to have your pet ill! I hope whatever your baby has it's only a little infection that the antibiotics will take care of and nothing as serious as cancer. Would it help to give him some yogurt for the probiotics? Maybe if you focus on what you can do right now to make your cat as comfortable as possible it will temporarily take your mind off the problem. I have an anxiety disorder and I actually find when I'm actively taking care of someone or something it alleviates some of the stress.

Please take care of yourself too!

#207578 - 08/22/05 05:49 PM
Honey_bun

Reged: 03/09/05
Loc: Canada!

I just wanted to say im sorry that you and your cat are having such a hard time right now. I am a HUGE animal lover and have a baby of my own (Taz-bishon frise). I know how hard it is when your animal is sick. You and your cat are in my thoughts...hope things get better hun
Melissa

Kelly new
      #207628 - 08/22/05 08:04 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I'm sorry your cat is sick. I know this is stressful. We had a beagle that was so sick all the time. We were always faced with either paying for tests we didn't have the money for ----or letting him suffer-=---and it was so hard. So I know what you are going through.

I will just pray that your cat gets better! I know how much pets can mean to us. They are truly a part of the family.

#207635 - 08/22/05 08:09 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Hey Kelly... we just had to take a loan from my Mom. It was kinda humiliating, but we've had 5 car accidents since June (none our fault) and the deductibles mounted up, and then there were other weird problems... I just wanted to let you know you're not alone... hang in there, and I hope your kitty feels better soon.

#207727 - 08/23/05 08:05 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Oh Kelly, I'm so sorry you and your kitty are having such an awful time right now! I'm a cat lover too. I had a cat for years that had these black welts in her ears. I had two vets, from different practices, tell my it was cancer and she was going to die soon. Well, one day I was talking with a friend of the family, who happens to be a vet, and mentioned the problem to him. He told me it was a food allergy! I switched her food, the bumps went away and she lived for 10 more years! She did get sick when she was 14 and died about 3 years ago. My heart broke, I cried so much. I burried her in my garden and still talk to her all the time.

I've since gotten two new kitties but I will never forget my coco. I know its difficult but try not to worry too much until they know for sure what it is. Hopefully it will just be something simple like a food allergy, which is very common in animals! Lots of love and hugs!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#207749 - 08/23/05 09:35 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I just paid $350 to get my cat's infected teeth cleaned. I don't have that cash but I understand your need to want to make your cat better. You are a mom to her after all.

Kelly new
      #207769 - 08/23/05 10:22 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry to hear this! I'm practically in tears, this is just heartbreaking I really hope things turn out well for both of you. I know it's humiliating to have to ask your parents for money (been there), but sometimes it's the only option. I'm sure your dad will understand if that's what you need to do.

Many hugs, I really hope things turn out ok.

#207780 - 08/23/05 11:37 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I would be too Kelly *super duper loving hugs*

I have no advice. Period.

Can your bf goes to his fam perhaps? Can you take out a loan? How's kitty doing today? *bigger hugs*

I love you Kelly and I want you to be happy! I know you will make the BEST decision! If going to your dad means he will hurt you and make you suffer, I hope you come up with another option! You don't NEED ANYONE in your life that will cause you more pain!

You're in my prayers and I love you *hugs* Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#207857 - 08/23/05 02:00 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Kelly, I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty! I lost my kitty a few years ago and I know how tough it is when your pet is sick. It's definitely a financial hardship, too. I'll keep you and your baby in my prayers.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re:Praying for your cat! new
      #207919 - 08/23/05 04:15 PM
SCgirl

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: Charleston SC

SO sorry to hear about this. I myself have had a cat for 2 1/2 years and he is a spoiled rotten baby. I dont know what I would do if he were sick, I even get really stressed when he gets a hairball!! I will pray for you and hope everything works out for the best. I really hope that your father will help you out with the cost.
BTW : My roomate used to work at a vet's office and they would have people come in that couldn't afford things for their pet to get certain things done and sometimes they would put out collection pots there in the office or at other large places explaining that the cat/dog was sick(telling its story or show a pic). You know alot of people couldnt pass the chance up to help out an animal! Hope this helps.

That is no fun... new
      #207957 - 08/23/05 07:22 PM
MichelleB

Reged: 07/30/05
Loc: Ottawa, ON

I can understand your sadness....I have a "furchild"...and life without her would be devastating. Have you thought of checking out another vet? What about through the city....don't they offer somekind of clinic for animals????.....Perhaps asking for a loan from your dad is the best thing. It is expensive at the vets...I cringe whenever we go for a routine check up.
Hugs are sent your way.

Kelly new
      #208009 - 08/24/05 06:01 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

I hoep your feeling better! Can you work out some kind of payment argment with your vet? I hope your kitty is ok! Let us know that YOU are ok!!!

BIG HUGS!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Update new
      #208153 - 08/24/05 11:34 AM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Guys,

Thank you all for your kind posts...it made me feel so much better

So far, we don't know much. The little guy is actually sitting on my lap as I type this and seems in reasonably good spirits. The vet called today and said they didn't find any worms/parasites (don't know if this is good or bad at this point) but they agreed the consistency/colour etc. was just really "off" (great). So, they asked if there'd been any change in him and I updated them. He hasn't even gone to the bathroom since we took him to the vet so we don't know if the meds are constipating him or what, and then we found a spot of blood on the carpet this morning that we assume is from him so that makes me sad And he's sneezing a lot but who knows what that means.

So, the vet tech said she'd pass the info on to the doctor and he'd call me back, but they'll likely need to see him again and want to run a more "comphrehensive" fecal (read: regular fecal = $35 comphrehensive = $100) and will go from there.

Thanks to everyone for keeping him in your prayers

Kelly

Re: Update new
      #208186 - 08/24/05 01:15 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

awww kelly, I hope everything goes ok for your kitty, those little guys can grow on ya quickely, huh? Your kitty is very lucky to have you for a mommy... so many people just don't want to put time/money/effort into helping their pets and keepiong them well, they think they are just something that you throw away once they become defective.

I wouldn't want to go to my parents for money, either, but I am glad that you are considering it as an option if there is no other choice, since it is to save your little guys life!

And I think that is an excellent idea that Heather mentioned, to check to see if they have payment plans, allthough I doubt vets do that it is worth a shot! It gets so ridiculous, how much those bills add up!

--------------------
-Sheri

#208189 - 08/24/05 01:21 PM
Alissa

Reged: 08/24/05

I am sorry to hear about your cat. I just had to put my cat down for the same reason. I took her to the spca. They told me that they would find out what was wrong and help me if it was something that can be fixed with simple meds. but she had feline hiv and cancer. They put her to sleep about 3 weeks ago. I know what you are going through. and feel your pain.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2067 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1297

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review