All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Alright y'all I need some business advice
      #206498 - 08/18/05 12:22 PM

Unregistered

So you all know about the purses I designed almost a year ago now. Well I guess being caught up in school and work and everything else I didn't put as much effort into making it work as I could have up until now as far as finding retailers to carry them and such. And not that wasn't motivated because I am just about the biggest overachiever ever, but I am not the "marketing type" if you will and I guess part of me just kinda hoped someone else would come along and make it easier for me by making some phone calls (like my dad who's my investor in the whole thing, or my older brother who graduated school for communications and can get anyone to do just about anything he wants).

Well now the people at the factory are still nagging about us making an order and by September the prices will go up because oil prices are increasing so much, and it takes about 8 weeks from the time I order them until they actually get here - so now's the perfect time to get them here for the holiday shopping season.

Well I finally had a revelation last week that despite the fact that I hate calling people on the phone and being constantly rejected (I definitely have no future as a telemarketer) and the fear that I'll get asked something that I have no idea what the answer is, I've realized that the only way I'll ever be able to overcome my weaknesses is to just frigging suck it up and do it. So I spent all last weekend up every night till like 3am making this huge long calling list. And I got my online brochure all polished up and I was good to go. I figured our best bet for a market for these right now was small individually owned boutiques before I try and break into a huge high-end market like Saks Fifth Avenue or something where it's all about politics and advertising money. The minimum order is 800 purses so I figured if I found 9 places to take 40 purses we'd already break more than even and then my dad would feel secure enough in placing the order and then I could continue to find buyers during the 2 month manufacturing time.

Well Monday and Tuesday I fruitlessly made calls and sent emails to well over 70 places and not one thing! I guess I didn't think it'd be THIS hard. Now I know what a singer must feel like when they're trying to hand out demo tapes to anyone and everyone and it takes 6 years before anyone cares.

And of course my father has many other things on his plate with his company right now and it isn't really his concern right now if this works out now or later or whatever. It's all up to me and while it'd be so much easier to just give up, I don't know where I'll be a year or more from now and I can't see myself having the time to try and make this work then.

So I'm trying to rack my brain for any other outlets for me to try and get these into in the next 2 weeks before the prices go up and before I miss the big shopping season. Can anyone think of any catalogs that sell higher end items? And of course multiple designer names?

Or is there a better method to approach this? I just need some advice or encouragement or something because god knows I'd stand on a street corner and ring a bell and tap dance to sell them, but I'm not seeing that being the best option right now. And the samples they sent are ALWAYS getting me compliments and people want to know where they can buy them. So I know people want these and they'd be popular, but how to people do it?! These little boutique stores could care less it seems. They just go to these big shows and buy the same junk everyone else has. How do you get them to take a chance on your stuff??

Ok so that was some serious rambling. But anyone have any ideas or advice for me?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Alright y'all I need some business advice new
      #206503 - 08/18/05 12:42 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I assume visiting these boutiques is out of the question? I just think it's hard to sell something over the phone. If you could walk in the door with one of your purses, you might have better luck. People tend to buy things they can touch and feel.

What about just setting up a website and selling them online? My son did this with his t-shirt businessa and he has more customers than he can keep up with!

Or e-bay?

I don't know. I'm rambling. Maybe someone else can help you.

I hope it works out. I know it must be hard! Be persistent and it will work out. There are buyers out there. You just have to find them!!!!

#206508 - 08/18/05 12:49 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Great idea, go thee in person with your merchandise!

#206513 - 08/18/05 01:10 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Yes, I agree. One of my jobs is buying all the eyeglass frames for my office. I know I don't really buy anything without seeing it! If someone just calls me on the phone and says, "hey, I've got a new line, want to see it" kinda thing, I usually say no just because there are SO many to choose from. However, if someone walks into my office with a few choice styles to show me, I'm MUCH, MUCH more likely to look at what they are selling! I know this is time consuming but it really is the best way to get into some of these boutiques!

I'm not sure what you are talking for retail on your purses but I've noticed that several hair salons I've been too recently are carrying purses and jewelry, maybe check with them also! You can do this honey! Your purses are great!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Yeah, What they all said! new
      #206517 - 08/18/05 01:17 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

You can even try consignment shops. Although they take a commission, you might be able to take that into consideration. As well, you can try beauty shops, salons and SPAS. They often carry this kind of thing. It might just be a case of carting your goods around and showin' them off.

I don't know how craft shows and such are in Florida, but they are also a great draw. You pay a fee for a table, then show and sell your wares directly. It might be a start, anyway.

I really don't know. I have no business sense. Keep your chin up. You can do this! I know it's scary now, but if you really believe in it and yourself, you can do it!!!!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Brittany new
      #206526 - 08/18/05 01:39 PM
BL

I don't know what part of Florida you're in, but if you're close to a tourist area, I'd go to boutiques/salons/gift shops there.

I met a young girl who designs awesome jewelry. She lived about an hour from New Orleans. She found one gift shop in the tourist area of New Orleans that bought her pieces. Her jewelery was such a hit that she was kept busy just supplying this one store~!!

Also, if out-of-town travelers see your purses, they may tell their friends/businesses about you when they return home. You might could get some good referrals from them! Just make sure you have a business card/phone number/email address/or website attached to your purses so they can contact you later.

Send Oprah one. Maybe she'll feature it on her "best" show!--nt-- new
      #206527 - 08/18/05 01:40 PM
BL

I too thought of e-bay...you can set a minimum price. ~nt~ new
      #206529 - 08/18/05 01:48 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Re: Brittany new
      #206542 - 08/18/05 03:08 PM

Unregistered

I live in Sarasota and it is definitely a very ritzy beach town! That's why I know if I get people here that tell me they are interested in buying them that I must be on to something!

I've gotten my cigar box purses I make into boutiques and salons and all here, but a few monthes back I went down to one of our really high-end shopping areas on one of the islands and places liked them, but just didn't need anything else in their store, or only wanted to buy a few. I've done the whole consignment thing for my other jewelry and stuff I make too, but this is a whole different deal.

And as far as the calling thing not being as good as going in person, I don't want to drive to these other towns several hours away and then the owner not be there. And the people I talked to on the phone when I called these places were so rude!

And I already have the whole business card thing and everything else. It's all a very professional arrangement we have set up, I just wish someone would give me a chance!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I won't give up at this!

#206543 - 08/18/05 03:11 PM

Unregistered

I braved it and tried the whole just walking in places thing a few monthes back in one of our really fancy shopping areas full of boutiques and either an owner wasn' there, are people just wanted to buy a few or something. I made the nicest folders too that they could keep with color photos and vellum paper overlays with descriptions and prices and everything! And having them in person was nice and I got a lot of great feedback on the purses, but that's not making me any money!

Thanks for the great advice. I just wish I knew someone on the inside somewhere that could get me in. I won't give up though!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 528 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3474

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review