All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Sig test done tomorrow...
      #205619 - 08/15/05 01:02 PM
SCgirl

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: Charleston SC

I have been at my parents house now for about two weeks now helping my Mom out(she has MS.) Usually when I am in my hometown like this I do a follow up doctor's appt. with my gastro doctor. I have always had problems with IBS and with hemmroids(internal and ext) that make me have alot of bloody stools. Well they have been prescribed me all of the suppositories and nothing has seemed to work so he called me back today and said he wanted to do a sigmonoscopy(sp?) to check things out. I am sure some of you have had this done and I want to to know what its all about or if you have any suggestions. I have had numerous colonoscopies done but not this one before! Wish me luck for tomorrow morning!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sig test done tomorrow... new
      #205620 - 08/15/05 01:32 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Good luck!

SC girl new
      #205645 - 08/15/05 02:48 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I don't know anything about the sig test, but I just wanted to wish you good luck with the test tomorrow. I've had trouble with hemmorroids too, and that is no fun!

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Let us know how it goes.

Isn't the Digestive Advantage still working? new
      #205647 - 08/15/05 02:51 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I had a sigmoidoscopy and sorry, but it was pretty painful, but quick. It's not that bad. I basically got in a doggy position and the doctor put a lighted tube in my rectum and pushed it through my intenstines. It hurt when it went around the curves and twists. It was sort of humiliating, but it was when all this was new to me and I hadn't been exposed to all the gross tests, which I am used to by now!

I did have gas for a while after too, since he had me "exposed" and I was opened up to all the air!

All in all, it's not one of the bad tests...no drinking yucky barium or anything. Just a little uncomfortable for a while.

Re: Isn't the Digestive Advantage still working? new
      #205658 - 08/15/05 03:43 PM
SCgirl

Yes the DA is actually still working with the constipation, I am still going pretty much everyday so that has been great. I just can't seem to get rid of the hemmroids..or whatever is causing this bleeding! It's weird..I don't really push anymore but still blood everytime I go to the bathroom, weird huh?!

Re: SC girl new
      #205660 - 08/15/05 03:45 PM
SCgirl

Thanks for the support! Yea, hemmroids are no fun!..I hope they find that the hemmroids is the cause of the bleeding and that's it. Let ya know...

#205698 - 08/15/05 05:42 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I had it done 4 years ago. It's probable the only test I did do besides the blood tests. It's weird because I kind of found it facinating and gross at the same time. She let me see the monitor so I got to see the whole thing. I was also laying on my side so it wasn't too bad. I don't remember it being too painful, uncomfortable on so many levels but not that painful. It really was quick too. I also remember being sore for a couple hours after. I found out at the time I had internal hemmroids. I had no clue since I never had external, not even after giving birth. She also did a couple of biopsy and I had a little bit of bleeding afterwards.

#205716 - 08/15/05 06:30 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

I had one done many years ago and I don't recall any troubles. If they get all the air out that they pump in you'll be fine. If there's air left in there, well.....you know what will happen I do remember it being pretty quick without any pain at all. Uncomfortable maybe a little but no more than getting a pap smear I can say, I'd rather have 10 sigmoids than 1 colonoscopy. Good luck.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

I can't believe the D.A. doesn't cause you problems... new
      #205722 - 08/15/05 06:50 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

with the mannitol and asperteme in it. It doesn't give you cramps, pain, and other problems? I'm so jealous!

Good luck with your test. I agree with what Little Lisa said. I would rather have 10 sigs than one colonoscopy!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Had the Sig test! new
      #205869 - 08/16/05 09:05 AM
SCgirl

Well I had the test and it wasn't too bad. They pumped me full of air and that was a lil painful and crampy. They said that I still have internal hemmroids which are causing the bleeding...or so he says. He is sending me to a special surgeon and he is going to see about doing surgury on them to take them off. Anyone had this before???

Re: Had the Sig test! new
      #205874 - 08/16/05 09:22 AM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

I have a friend who got that done, and she said it was such a relief!

Good luck! I hope it takes away your hemmies forever!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

no idea about the sig test new
      #205889 - 08/16/05 10:40 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

but noticed what you said about your mom. My dad also has MS and has been confined to a wheelchair since a young age (40s). I've been feeling pretty sorry for myself lately since my IBS has been horrible, but whenever I think about what my dad's gone through (with no complaining whatsoever), I feel ashamed of myself. IBS is tough, but it could be a LOT worse!

Glad your test went OK, or at least that they didn't find anything worse than what they were expecting. Good luck on the surgery.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Jen 1013,MS mom new
      #205971 - 08/16/05 02:43 PM
SCgirl

Oh my gosh when I read your post I have said that same thing on here on a previous thread! I have been through it all with IBS...but when I look at my Mom it seems very trivial to even feel sorry for myself. My Mom has had it for 15 years and she is now in a wheelchair and has been in one since her 40s and she is now 51. She deals with bladder problems, bowel problems, she can't walk(or even stand up) or do anything without assistance. So she is really an inspiration!

MS new
      #206601 - 08/18/05 06:14 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Your mom sounds like about the same state as my dad -- same age, even. It's tough to see them like that, isn't it? Do you ever worry that you'll end up with MS? My dad's brother, sister, and mother all have it, so there's got to be some kind of genetic link. Dad was in his late twenties when the MS really kicked in -- how old was your mom?

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: MS new
      #206702 - 08/19/05 07:59 AM
SCgirl

My Mom was 32 when she was "diagnosed" she thinks that she may have had it earlier than that. I am really sorry to hear about your Dad, I really hope my Mom stays as positive and well for a while and doesnt get any worse. I do think about if I will get MS or not I think thats just natural with any kind of disease. Its really scary to think about. My Moms doctor said that the chances are just like having a family member with cancer. So who knows. Ut is a confusing disease thats for sure.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 224 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1058

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review