All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Chlorine and Highlights...What's the Story?
      #205137 - 08/12/05 08:57 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Guys,

I've got a question regarding swimming. My hair is naturally a dirty blonde and I recently had really blonde highlights put in throughout my hair. I'm trying to add something new to my workout routine and would really like to go swimming, but don't have my own pool so I have to use public pools which are very heavily chlorinated.

I've heard chlorine can turn blonde hair green...so would it likely wreak havoc on my highlights. I really love them and they were expensive, so I don't want to do something to ruin them.

I was also toying with the idea of using a bathing cap (even though I think I'd feel a little nerdy)...has anyone used them before? I used to when I was really little but I can't remember if they keep your hair completely protected or not. Also, do they cover your ears? Because I already wear earplugs but still have trouble with getting swimmer's ear.

Thanks Guys,
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Chlorine and Highlights...What's the Story? new
      #205141 - 08/12/05 10:14 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I can't help much with the bathing cap (although my daughter wears one for her swimming lessons and it keeps all but the edges dry on her head), but for the highlights you can either put in a leave in conditioner right before you swim which will stop the chlorine soaking into the hair and turning it green and then as soon as you're finished swimming be sure to rinse it really well or you can buy special shampoo's over here (Andrew Colleen (sp?) Beaut Blonde or something) which will also stop discolouration. Good luck, HTH

--------------------
Amy

Been there too!! new
      #205161 - 08/13/05 06:28 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

The pool water will turn my highlighted hair green if I don't wet it first. I've found this out through trial and error, LOL!! I just go in the shower before I dive in the pool and completely soak my hair. For some reason this is not nearly as damaging to my blonde-ness as just jumping in with a dry head.

I've gone through the bathing cap thing myself, but some hair always escapes...! Also they're a bear to get off without ripping out locks.

Good luck!

~nelly~

Special Shampoo.... new
      #205163 - 08/13/05 06:46 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

Being a brunette I have not needed it but I hear there is a specific shampoo for that. I bet any drugstore carries it particularly this time of year.

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

I can help! new
      #205165 - 08/13/05 06:58 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

I've been a swimmer since I was a little girl - Junior Olympics, State 4 years, etc etc....LOVE SMIMMING!
I swam 6 hours a day throughout highschool - and have highlights, and no they didn't turn green!

The best thing to do for your hair is to get it wet BEFORE you get into the pool. This way your hair will barely soak up any more water anyways.

Wear a swim cap!!! No, it doesn't protect your hair from chlorine, but if you have any length to your hair at all, it's a lot harder to get a good swim in w/o a cap and goggles.

Wash your hair right when you get home, or at the pool, whichever....there are special shampoos, but I never used them. Just use a deep moisturizing conditioner afterwards.

Have fun!

--------------------
~Cara~

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 160 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 702

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review