All Boards >> The Living Room

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Depakote and ohter bipolar meds
      #204731 - 08/11/05 05:41 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

So my psych. decided the lamictal is potentially making me WORSE and is taking me off of it.

Mon. we hopw to start me on a new med.

Anyone on depakote? Tegretol? Lithium? Other drugs? What do you think of the drug you are taking and how is it helping you? What side effects do you have?

Thanks!

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Depakote and ohter bipolar meds new
      #204735 - 08/11/05 05:48 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I take Tegretol, Ruchie. IT's THE BEST med. out there, an anti-convulsant/spasmodic. I take it for epilepsy, although it regulates my moods. It's an OLD DRUG, tried, tested and true. It makes you a little tired/drowsy and there's some nausea--that's about it. You just have to go for bloodwork periodically to monitor your levels and liver function. One other thing: MAKE SURE YOUR NUTRITION IS BEYOND UP TO SNUFF AND GOOD if you take this drug. It can deplete you of certain minerals/vitamins as well as sodium/chloride. However, once you know this you can nutritionally compensate for this.

For anxiety/GAD, I take BUSPAR. For exceptional circumstances, Lorazepam/ativan. I highly recommend BUSPAR for GAD. I'm finally getting out of the house again, and just about every day!!! The simple things that most people don't think twice about are no longer terrorizing.

Kate.

Depakote new
      #204750 - 08/11/05 06:19 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

Ruchie,

One of the side effects of depakote is beneficial for those with IBS. I took it for a year and for the most part it helped.

I quit taking it as I was uneasy about taking something that was "treating me for something I didn't have" and simply stepped out in faith and for the most part do very well with my IBS.

Perhaps the depakote will ease your IBS issues as well.

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

#204757 - 08/11/05 07:03 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Sorry Ruchie I've never been on these meds. Hope you figure it out.

#204842 - 08/12/05 06:42 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I'm taking Valporic Acid (for rapid cycling) and I've had no side effects at all.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#204874 - 08/12/05 07:42 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Ruchie,

I don't anything about any of these meds but I just wanted you to know that I am praying that you find the right medication to take to make you feel better.

--------------------
Janey

#204896 - 08/12/05 08:29 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Let's see....

I gained 50 lbs (quickly) while taking Depokate (and it made my hair fall out.) Tegretol made me so drowsy that I couldn't keep my eyes open during the day. I've never tried lithium. I actually lost weight on Topomax (doing Weight Watchers), but it didn't have any affect on my moods. I've taken Trileptal longer than any of them (for 2 years), but for me, it causes blurred vision. At the dose recommended for bp, I had double vision, so I can only take a small dose.

All SSRI's put me in a manic stage, so I can't take those. I begged the psych doc to let me try Ritalin and Concerta (not together!!), and that was stupid. He was right! That's not what I needed! (I won't even tell you how I felt on those.)

But remember, everyone's different! Many people have success with these meds. You just have to try one to see how it affects you. It's just a matter of trial and error. And you have to give the meds time to work. My doc usually has me take one for at least 2-3 months before we give up on it!

Siz years later, and I'm still searching for one to help me.

#362664 - 12/23/10 10:07 PM
hudlander

Reged: 09/26/10

Anybody else with Depakote feel they are hungry all the time?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 874 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5923

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review