All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
My cat is missing
      #203311 - 08/07/05 09:46 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

hi everyone,

I'm a total wreck right now My cat got outside last night - he's in an indoor cat - and now we can't find him. We had some people over and someone who stayed over must have left early and not closed the door all the way or something... it was probably left open for a few hours before we realized. Luckily the dog chose to stay inside but we can't find the cat (Sebastian) anywhere. I know he's probably somewhere near by hiding in a bush or something; he must be really freaked out because he never goes outside and he wouldn't know what to expect.

And to top it off, there's a government building across the street from our house so I was there looking in the bushes and gardens for him, and this stupid security guard comes out and starts yelling at me because he thinks I'm stealing plants or something!!! Arrgg! I pretty much did a combination of breaking down crying and yelling at him. Stealing plants?!?! Wtf?

I just don't know HOW we're going to find him, and then get him home. We've told some of our neighbours to look out for him and we've called the humane society in case he shows up; that's where we got him when he was a kitten so he actually has a microchip implanted in his neck that has our phone number (weird, I know) so if he does show up there hopefully we'll be notified asap.

I really don't think he could have gone far... I'm just really, really worried and upset If anyone has any advice or support or anything, it would be really appreciated....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Laurel new
      #203315 - 08/07/05 10:22 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I'm so sorry about your cat! I know you must be frantic. I don't have any advice for you. I just wanted to say that I hope you find him soon! Hopefully, the microchip will help him find his way back to you.

Maybe you could post some flyers in your neighborhood and at local vets' offices and pet stores.

I'll be praying he'll be home safely soon!

Re: My cat is missing new
      #203322 - 08/07/05 11:03 AM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Laurel,

So sorry to hear about your kitty Hopefully he'll simply find his way home. Are you in London now? (couldn't remember if you were just here for school)...you could give me a description and I'll keep my eyes open.

My best bet would be to keep looking, put up some flyers and and call the local shelters, animal aid places to see if anyone has turned in a stray.

Good luck,
Kelly

#203339 - 08/07/05 01:41 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Dear Laurel:

I hope Sebastian is found, a.s.a.p.! You must be out of your mind with worry for the little one.

Hugs,
Kate.

You poor thing!! new
      #203348 - 08/07/05 02:22 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

You've got to be going crazy. I am so sorry!! You did the right thing by notifying the humane society. Get some flyers together and hit the streets. Please know you've done the smart thing by microchipping your pet. I'm sure it's going to go a long way in helping you him to come back to you!!

{{{{{{{{{BIG HUGS}}}}}}}}}}

I know it wasn't your fault he got out, so DON'T beat yourself up! When I'm anxious or worried I spend my time engrossed in tasks to take my mind off of it. Get some pictures together, and if you can contact your local paper and post a reward, do that. Good luck!!!

~nelly~

Oh no! new
      #203355 - 08/07/05 02:50 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Laurel, you must be going crazy. I'm so sorry!

The microchip is fantastic! This really improves your chances of finding him. And since you contacted the humane society, they will definitely be able to call you if some kind soul turns him in.

I agree with Nelly about the reward money. Money talks...and if someone finds him, they will most likely go the extra step of returning him to his owners if they see money in it for them. Sad to say that not everyone does the altruistic deed on their own.

Put up flyers in grocery stores and keep walking around. Tell the kids around you that you'll give a reward to any of them who can find your cat first.

If he is an indoor cat, he most likely will not venture too far. Good luck, sweetie...and let us know when you find him.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#203367 - 08/07/05 03:45 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I'm so sorry! It freaks me out every time one of our cats has gotten out. Even strictly indoors cats still have their instincts, though, and most likely Sebastian is just fine and will come home when he's hungry.

If you do think he's in the area, do you ever give him cat treats at all? If so, walk around rattling the bag -- cats are super-sensitive to sound and if he hears it, he'll come running. This is how we've always found our cats.

I also second the advice by others -- put up posters, offer a reward, get the neighborhood kids to watch, put an ad in the "lost and found" in the paper.

I hope he comes home soon so you can stop worrying. Take care.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#203377 - 08/07/05 04:30 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I'm sorry to hear about this! Any news?

Since he's mostly indoors, Sebastian probably hasn't gone too far. My cat, Sofia, is also an indoor-only cat and she's gotten out twice. Once she followed my bf to the laundry room--at night too! She wasn't too far away, but obviously freaked and waiting for us to come get her (rather than coming to us when we called). I found her that same night, huddled next to a neighbor's apartment.

The second time, I was bringing in groceries and she ran out and just kept running! I think she thought we playing a game. She was running along happily (just fast enough so I couldn't catch her), UNTIL a car parked nearby, some people jogged along talking loudly. The oustide world was not welcoming and she panicked. Luckily, she decided to run to the downstairs apartment and I was able to corner her.

Now she doesn't even try to escape. She just looks warily at the door whenever we open it. I think her two mini-outdoor-adventures quelled her need for kitty freedom.

I hope all turns out well with your cat.

Oh no... new
      #203400 - 08/07/05 06:34 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Our cats are our babies! I totally understand how devastated you must be feeling. I hate it when mine escape at night and then disappear for a while. Frightens the life out of me. I'm sure he's fine. One of my cats went missing when I was 16. I cried for almost 2 days. I was sitting on my bed and crying and my chest of drawers started shaking. I opened up one of the drawers and out popped my missing cat (who fled as fast as her paws could carry her to the litter box). Mine quite often go and sleep in the shed then one of us shuts the door and they can't get out. Have you tried walking round outside banging a tin of cat food with a spoon. That quite often brings them running. (((HUGS))) I hope he turns up soon safe and sound.

--------------------
Amy

#203428 - 08/07/05 08:37 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

I hope Sebastian finds his way home!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Update: still not home... new
      #203438 - 08/07/05 10:10 PM
retrograde

Thank you so much for your concern everyone. It really really means a lot. And thank you especially for understanding HOW important this is - it seems like the people around me (everyone except my bf) think I'm overreacting and freaking out over "just" a cat... He IS my baby! I had to go see my sister's play tonight (wouldn't have left the house unless it was necessary) and there were all this women with babies (human babies that is) and I felt so jealous because mine was missing! Ok that's maybe a bit freaky but I don't care, that's exactly how I feel and who cares if people think I'm overreacing.

I know he probably hasn't gotten far but I'm just sooo worried about him. If I had some sign that he was for sure in the yard or the neighbour's yard just hiding then I could have some hope but we haven't had any sign of him all day We went out looking for him, knocking on neighbour's doors to see if they'd seen him and to see if it was ok if we could look through their whole yards, garages etc... and then we looked again at night with a flashlight. Nothing. I'm really worried that he darted into our backyard just into the gardens and then our neighbours' dog came out next door and frightened him and he ran further or something... I just wish I knew where he was and that he was safe.

I tried making the regular 'feeding time' noises all over the place to see if he would come, but he's so timid I think it would take a lot for him to come running out outdoors. I've now put up posters around our neighbourhood and I'm going to place a newspaper ad tomorrow and call the humane society again.

And of course my IBS is terrible... it's already been pretty bad the last week or so but now with all this stress and pain it's just horrid. I've probably been in the bathroom at least 10 or 15 times today between searches

Again, thank you so much for all your support and advice. It really does mean a lot. I will keep you updated; hopefully I will have an update for you tomorrow morning saying that he's home safe and sound.

Edited by retrograde (08/07/05 10:12 PM)

Re: Laurel new
      #203439 - 08/07/05 10:13 PM
retrograde

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers BL! I do not usually pray much at all, but tonight I did quite a lot of it. Thank you so much.

#203440 - 08/07/05 10:14 PM
retrograde

No I'm not in London right now (until Sept) - but thank you for the offer! And for your kind thoughts and advice It really means a lot!

Thank you so much Kate! -nt- new
      #203441 - 08/07/05 10:14 PM
retrograde

Re: You poor thing!! new
      #203442 - 08/07/05 10:16 PM
retrograde

Thank you for the hugs Nelly, and for reminding me not to blame myself for this... because it's really hard not to. But I shouldn't, I know. I'm just worried about him now... and I really miss him. I've been crying all day and when I cry all I want is my cat to come curl upon my chest!

I'm going to call the humane society tomorrow to confirm whether or not they scan all the strays for microchips or not, and if not I'm going to be in there everyday until he comes home (well I probably will be anyway).

Thanks again

Re: Oh no! new
      #203443 - 08/07/05 10:19 PM
retrograde

Thanks so much Beth. I worry about putting 'reward' on flyers because I've heard such stories of people picking up cats on the street and returning them as the apparant lost cats just to get the reward... as if the owners couldn't tell the difference! But then you end up with someone else having a lost cat too I put 'reward available' on the posters but not in giant print. I don't think someone would have picked him up, because I'm pretty sure he's hiding somewhere, probably really afraid. But if it goes much longer without him home I'd pay anything to have him back!

#203445 - 08/07/05 10:21 PM
retrograde

Thanks Jen! I took your advice with the sounds thing... that's something I read online too. Right at normal dinner time (and a few other times during the day) I made all the regular sounds really loud. He may have heard them but was too timid to come out just yet. I'll do it again tomorrow. My kind neighbour recruited his kids for the search this afternoon too. Thanks so much for your kind thoughts.

#203446 - 08/07/05 10:23 PM
retrograde

Thanks for the kind words and your stories Maria! It actually REALLY helps to hear stories of cats coming home I'm thinking that yeah he probably won't come when we call him because he's too afraid to come out, that we're just going to have to find him. But there's so much brush and gardens and bushes on our block (assuming, hoping, that he's still somewhere on our block) that I just don't know how we'll ever be able to find him Not giving up hope though. Thanks again!

Re: Oh no... new
      #203447 - 08/07/05 10:24 PM
retrograde

Yes exactly! Thanks so much for this post Amy. I've been crying hysterically all day...

Thank you Christine! -nt- new
      #203448 - 08/07/05 10:24 PM
retrograde

Oh Laurel! new
      #203449 - 08/07/05 10:24 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi Laurel,

I am so sorry to hear this!! I wish I were there so I could help you look! I have never had a cat, but I know if my dog was missing I would totally freak out! It IS like your baby, I totally understand.

I'm so not surprised that your stomach is reacting to the stress, I think most of us can relate! Having to run to the potty in between searches that many times sounds awful, you must just be having such a rotten time of it!

Let us know if you find your kitty! I'll be sending good thoughts your way!

**hugs**
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Oh Laurel! new
      #203458 - 08/07/05 11:49 PM
Wind

Laurel:

This is tragic. I'm sending you tons of p.e. (positive energy) and singing that silly song..."the cat came back, the very next day..." I'm lighting candles. Honestly, sometimes I communicate better/speak the language of cats better than people and until the passing of my cat considered my cat my best friend/baby (I don't desire human ones). I hope Sebastian has a homing device, the way pigeons do. Losing a cat is different than losing a bird (I've had a few a-wol expensive birds in my day).

So, in my non-traditional way of praying, I'm hoping that everything turns out okay, really really really SOON.

(THE LITTLE RASCAL!!!)

Kate.

Re: Update: still not home... new
      #203492 - 08/08/05 08:21 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I just got on line a little bit ago and saw this. I'm so sorry, I have two cats and I do understand. Hopefully by now he is curled up in your lap sleeping but if not try not to lose hope. You said you tried making "feeding time noises" but does he have a favorite toy or something else like a treat can that you can shake that he might reconize?

It sounds like you have done all the right things by calling the human society, posters and talking to neighbors. I hope if he isn't home yet that you will find him soon. My heart goes out to you!! Hugs!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Update: still not home... new
      #203511 - 08/08/05 09:06 AM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05

Laurel, my cat is my baby too. I feel so much for you and I am sure that he will return home soon. You are not overreacting, anybody who loved something the same would act the same way.
Try to stay as calm and it sounds like you have taken the right steps.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!!

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#203517 - 08/08/05 09:16 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Laurel, I hope you find your kitty ASAP! I know I'd be devestated if my indoor kitty were gone this long. But the good thing is that cats have some amazing senses that we lack. When I was younger we had outdoor cats that would go on "walkabouts" for months and then suddenly show up on our doorstep again. It's amazing what they can do. I'm sure your baby will turn up soon!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

UPDATE #2: SAFE AND SOUND!!!! new
      #203543 - 08/08/05 10:15 AM
retrograde

Yay my baby is home safe and sound!

I was up until about 2 last night just sitting in the backyard because part of me thought for sure he was out there... the neighbours must have thought I was crazy because I was talking to him, lol! He didn't come up to me so I went to bed, but I put some fresh food and water out on our porch in a seculed corner with the pillows and blankets from where he usually sleeps in case he wanted somewhere to eat/sleep that wasn't out in the open. Then at around 4 I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep so I figured I'd go and check the backyard again. I walked downstairs and turned on the light just a bit and there he was just sitting at the door looking at me! It was kind of hilarious. I picked him up and hugged him like crazy He'd eaten the food. He kind of had this attitude like 'what's the fuss all about?' lol! He's a little bit dirty (or was, but he took care of that) and there's a bit of sap on his whiskers but otherwise he's none worse for wear I guess we'll now have to see if he's MORE difficult to keep inside or LESS difficult to see just what kind of an adventure he had!

Whhheeeeee! I'm so happy Thank you so much EVERYONE for all your kind thoughts and positive energy. I helped soooo much much.

Alrighty, I'm off to go snuggle with my Sebastian and probably never let him go again Then I have to go take down all those posters, lol.

Thank you again everyone! You're all so wonderful!

Yipeee!!!!!!!! new
      #203546 - 08/08/05 10:17 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Yay!!!!!
Luarel, I am so happy for you! I am so so so glad to hear that your kitty is home with you, all safe!!!

Yay!!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: UPDATE #2: SAFE AND SOUND!!!! new
      #203548 - 08/08/05 10:18 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Great news! I'm so happy he made it back home safe and sound. Sappy whiskers--so cute!

Enjoy quality time with your baby today.

Whoo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!! new
      #203549 - 08/08/05 10:19 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I love happy endings! I am so happy you have your baby back. Take care of each other. I have a feeling one cat is in for some big time spoiling! well deserved spoiling too!
He didn't venture too far from home...proving just how much he loves you Laurel! He wanted his mom!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Edited by Augie (08/08/05 10:20 AM)

#203561 - 08/08/05 10:35 AM
Wind

Laurel: I am elated. I know what it's like to have a little one disappear! (Though mine were birds and it was actually done out of malice!) Hang on tight to your baby! I'm so relieved that you're cuddling with Sebastian.

Kate.

Hooray! ~nt~ new
      #203564 - 08/08/05 10:40 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

YEAH! So glad to hear he made it home safely! --nt-- new
      #203566 - 08/08/05 10:45 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Re: Wonderful news!!! nt new
      #203585 - 08/08/05 11:11 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

so glad- let's hope he learned his lesson n/t new
      #203615 - 08/08/05 01:06 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#203622 - 08/08/05 01:18 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Yah.... you found him!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Aw! Happy endings make me misty!! new
      #203631 - 08/08/05 01:49 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I am SO GLAD for you! What a relief!!! If that cat doesn't have a collar and tags, get some for him now!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!

~nelly~

I'm glad he's home! Yay!!! -nt- new
      #203730 - 08/08/05 10:18 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 241 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1776

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review