All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Need to vent before I kill my landlord
      #203130 - 08/06/05 09:22 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I don't know if you guys remember, but I was really stressed for so long because my stupid landlord was working on the apartment below mine. He is renovating the entire apartment (ie, knocking out walls, installing cupboards, bathtubs, everything from the ground up!

Well, this man does not work at all. He has the whole week to work on this apartment while we are at work. But does he? Of course not. He choses to come after 5 o'clock and usually stays until 8 which means I get to come home from a stressful day of work and eat dinner through the racket of him slamming doors, banging, and just being obnoxious, as he rebuilds this apartment right below me. (We have paper thin walls too, btw).

I talked to him twice already, maybe 3 times, and he assured me that the worst was over and that all the work would be done while I was at work.

Well, he lied. Again, on a Saturday morning, I am awakened at 7:30 to banging and shouting and noise! My one fricken day to sleep in. My day away from work to just try and relax.

I am super sensitive to noise. It is my number one stressor. I have like super hightened noise receptors or something. Well, my tummy is in knots and it is only 11:00 am. It is going to be a long, stress filled day.

And he flat out lied to me. He promised he would't be working on the apartment on weekends or when it would bother me. I pled with him...I explained that it wasn't because I was trying to be a pain, but that it was really making me ill to listen to this loud noise.

Why doesn't he care? Why did he lie? Do I say something to him yet again, to let him know how upset I am? But I already talked to him 2 or 3 times. Why can't people just be more empathetic and respectful?

He's got a guy down there with him now and they are slamming doors and shouting to each other. UGH...I needed this weekend to rest...it's been a bad week. I need to get the heck out of here! But the thought of moving is overwhelming. And by the time I move, he will probably be almost done. But then I'll have to deal with new neighbors with my paper thin walls. This is the worst apartment I have ever lived in!

I wish I could afford my own place so bad. I honestly don't think my GI problems would be half as bad if I didn't have to deal with apartment living.

Thanks for listening. If anyone is around on this weekend day, please offer some advice, as I sit her losing my mind and my tummy does cartwheels. I can't stay out all day...there is too much to do here. I hate this landlord. He is the rudest, most inconsiderat A**!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

One more thing new
      #203131 - 08/06/05 09:25 AM
Augie

I have headphones on for now, as I try to listen to classical music, but I can still hear him. And it's not like I can walk around with my huge tape player to clean the apartment. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Belly does not like this construction that has been going on for months!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Need to vent before I kill my landlord new
      #203137 - 08/06/05 09:45 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Turn on your favorite music, and crank it up as high as you can (no headphones). If he comes to complain that you're too loud, counter him with his loudness and his promise to not work during weekends, etc.

Or go out someplace relatively quiet with access to a bathroom, like a local library or walk around the mall. I used to leave my apartment and go for walks whenever my roommates were being loud or just annoying the heck out of me (this was at my old place), but not really bathroom access if you're walking around outside since your tummy's not happy.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Beth!!! new
      #203208 - 08/06/05 05:12 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Feel free to email me any time today if you need to

--------------------
Amy

Re: One more thing new
      #203224 - 08/06/05 06:36 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

The worse thing about being sensitive to noise (like me too) is when the noise that is bothering you - it becomes loouder and more annoying.

I feel for you and hate to be in your situation. Hope your land lord gets a reality check knock into his head.

Thanks my friend new
      #203228 - 08/06/05 06:42 PM
Augie

I know I can count on you! Do you even believe this is happening again!

Problem with emailing you is that your usually sleeping when the noise is going on! And it's quiet now when your up! I guess I could always vent at the time though. I just don't want ya to always hear me harping about something!

BTW, I love your symbol on your post! I am an animal fanatic! I'm the person who catches bugs and lets them out the window instead of swatting them! But bigger type animals are by far my favorites...all animals are such innocent lives that man has tended to abuse over the years.

Another bad point about living in this lousy apartment...my stupid landlord will only allow me to have a fish as a pet. One tiny fish in a bowl. I'd rather have something to cuddle with, thank you very much!

--------------------
~ Beth

I took your advice! new
      #203229 - 08/06/05 06:48 PM
Augie

I blasted my radio while I scrubbed the kitchen floor and got rid of some of my anger energy (and got a clean floor out of too).

I don't think it made a difference to him though. He probably didn't even hear it over his their noise! But, it made me feel better for the time. He was here all day! I finallly couldn't take it anymore and left to do some errands.

So, another wasted Saturday stolen by an inconsiderate landlord. There was so much I wanted to get done in the apartment...including just watching a little tv.

Anyhow, thanks for the advice! And for listening to me...that's what I really needed!

--------------------
~ Beth

That's so true new
      #203231 - 08/06/05 06:52 PM
Augie

When I am bothered by a noise, it just becomes so much louder!

I doubt the landlord is capable of getting a clue. When he saw me getting into my car to leave the noise, he just smiled and waved, like everything was just fine. He is clueless. Does he not remember his promise? More Grrrrrrrrrrrrs!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: That's so true new
      #203234 - 08/06/05 06:54 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Just shows you a typical male is clueless about other people's feelings. I don't understand it - MEN!!!

Re: That's so true new
      #203257 - 08/06/05 08:29 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Quote:

I doubt the landlord is capable of getting a clue. When he saw me getting into my car to leave the noise, he just smiled and waved, like everything was just fine. He is clueless. Does he not remember his promise?

It's very possible he doesn't. To you it's desperately important -- to him, it's not, so it could have completely slipped his mind. It's also very possible that he does, but he doesn't care. I'm guessing the latter, just 'cause most landlords tend to be, if not the spawn of Satan, at least some kind of distant relative.

I read your original post earlier in the day but didn't have any advice to add to what Melissa already gave you. I sympathize -- it's been awhile since I've been in an apartment, but in our last one we lived next door to someone who played country music really loud. I HATE COUNTRY MUSIC. Having to hear that, especially when I was trying to sleep, drove me absolutely up the wall. I was ready to commit senseless acts of violence, or at the very least grind my teeth until they were nubs.

Do you know when the remodeling will be done? Maybe if you can see a light at the end of the tunnel it won't be quite as bad. Have you tried earplugs? Do you have the hypno CDs? If you do, try listening to those on headphones with the sound turned up really loud. Are any of your other neighbors bothered by the noise? Maybe if you could get others to come with you to complain en masse he might pay attention.

I will keep my fingers crossed that he doesn't decide to work tomorrow. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: Thanks my friend new
      #203258 - 08/06/05 08:42 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I'm a bit of a sad sack when it comes to animals I'm afraid. I like them much more than human beings, they always make me cry than humans in movies, DH thinks it's hilarious. We'll watch a movie and some lady will die of some deadly disease and I'll sit there dry eyed then her cat will die cause it misses her and I'll be bawling with a box of tissues in my lap! Vent to me as much as you want to. I don't mind a bit! I'll just harp right on back at you

--------------------
Amy

Re: Thanks my friend new
      #203265 - 08/06/05 09:19 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

Beth I am bothered by noise sometimes and I have these very soft pliable earplugs that I sleep in from time to time. My DH used to get them at work but you could probably find some at a drug store or welding supply shop. I keep a couple sets in my luggage when I travel. Oh and any ear doctor sells them but they may be expensive there.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

I heard on the new last night that... new
      #203363 - 08/07/05 03:00 PM
Augie

some guy was arrested for stabbing his landlord!

I couldn't believe it when I heard it. I am totally serious!

Guess I'm not the only one who's a little upset with their landlord. This board may have saved me from prison. Just kidding of course!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: I heard on the new last night that... new
      #203383 - 08/07/05 04:55 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Quote:

This board may have saved me from prison. Just kidding of course!

Lol!

Re: Need to vent before I kill my landlord new
      #203526 - 08/08/05 09:28 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Augie, I don't blame you for being upset! I'm with you, noise completely grates on my nerves, which is never a good thing when you have IBS. To have your landlord lie to you about it is especially horrible! I hope the noise ends soon so you can get the relaxation time you need. I feel your pain, I was looking forward to relaxing at my parents' house last year during my Christmas break, and it turns out that was the week their contractor started putting up their siding! I was woken up early every morning by their hammering during my one week off. Grr! Anyway, I'm with you about wanting a place of my own, too. I hope you get that soon! Until then, hang in there, and hopefully things will quiet down!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Kree new
      #203538 - 08/08/05 10:02 AM
Augie

What did you decide to do about your apartment decision? Did you move to the smaller apartment or did you stay put?

I hate, hate, hate, living in a builing with other people who all have their own time tables, noise levels, and just plain ignorance and disrespect for others. Okay, guess I have a little leftover weekend hostility!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: I heard on the new last night that... new
      #203974 - 08/09/05 01:44 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Oh Beth, that @#$% landlord of yours is a liar! You should just move hon.

He's back! new
      #205201 - 08/13/05 08:51 AM
Augie

Another Saturday spent listening to the jerk hammer, pound out windows and doors...all day long! He's been here during the week until up to 9pm, and now again on a Saturday.

I work all day, all week, and this idiot is so disrespectful and just doesn't consider his tenants at all. I get the brunt of the noise because it's the apartment right below me. UGH.

I'm about to lose it this morning. I'm afraid if I say something he's going to tell me to move if I don't like it...sometimes I think he is doing this to get me to move out. But I'm not sure if I even want to stay in the state yet, and don't want to get tied into another year lease. I do month to month now which is great. I'm afraid if I make to much of this, he will evict me before I am ready to move.

I am so upset now, my tummy is doing somersaults...I am stressed, and my GI system is going haywire. I need to talk to him for my own piece of mind...even though I know he doesn't give a care what I feel like physically. I have told him how sick I get from noise stress...and he just doesn't seem to care...even though he promised me a month ago or so that he would stop. He even sent me flowers that said sorry about all the noise. Was that my bribe?

Any suggestions? I don't want to act irrationally and get my butt kicked out of here, but at the same time, I am just in tears over all the noise and stress. I can't even tell you guys how stressed I get over the noise. Okay, he's right below this room now. I hate this man!! He doesn't work at all and could do this during the week when we are at work. Why is he so inconsiderate and what can I do to prevent myself from getting more worked up and even mor sick to my stomach, literally?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: He's back! new
      #205209 - 08/13/05 09:02 AM
lalala

I'm sorry about your rude and noisy landlord! Is there anyway you can reduce the stress that the noise level is causing? Can you leave your place for a bit? Does it help to tell yourself it won't last forever? Did he give you a timeline on when the apartment should be finished? Are you sure he's not working on it during the week when you're at work and is just in a hurry to get it done? Is the noise-level bothering your other neighbors? Maybe you could all talk to him together. Sorry for all the questions, but it just seems that your direct conversations with the guy didn't help much. I would be so frustrated too!

Also is he the owner/landlord of your apartment complex or the manager? If he's managing the place you might consider contacting whoever actually owns the buildings and making a complaint.

Geeze. I hope it's over with soon. I hae to go to work now, but I really hope this gets resolved as it is affecting your health. Keep us updated, Beth!

Re: He's back! *DELETED* new
      #205211 - 08/13/05 09:09 AM
Jeano

Reged: 03/20/04
Loc: USA

Post deleted by Jeano

He owns the building new
      #205216 - 08/13/05 09:33 AM
Augie

So, he can do whatever he wants. No one else to complain to! I have no idea when it will be done. I peeked in there yesterday morning and it looks like there is a lot of work left to do.

My neighbors aren't going to be much help. One travels all the time and the other one is not near the noise. The problem is that I am right above the apartment. They wouldn't be willing to talk to him with me, I'm sure.

I don't know how to reduce my stress, except to share it with you guys!!! I need to get things done at the apartment first, and then, hopefully, this afternoon I will leave and go to the mall. I like to stay at home and cook on the weekend to freeze some lunch and dinner meals for during the week. Plus, it's nice to just not have to get dressed on a weekend until noon if I don't want!

thanks for your support Maria. You are so kind and I adore you! Now you know why I am looking to take off to another state!!!

I don't know if I should go downstairs and talk to him directly, leave a message on his answering machine after he leaves so I don't have to face him in person, or to leave a note on the door (although I think that would upset him).

Okay, thanks for letting me vent. I am so tired today and my tummy is not happy. As you know I have major anxiety and GAD so this is a lot harder on me than it would be for a "normal" person! Noise is my biggest anxiety trigger times one thousand! I might as well be eating pizza, ice cream, coffee, and steak burgers...would give me the same effect to my tummy as the noise is!

--------------------
~ Beth

I'm afraid if I stop to talk to him... new
      #205217 - 08/13/05 09:36 AM
Augie

I might say something I regret. Or, start crying. I need to stay home and cook some lunches to freeze. Then I will leave. I am blasting the music again, as Melissa suggested last weekend...and it is helping to block some of the noise while giving me some sense of control. The earplugs aren't strong enough.

--------------------
~ Beth

A totally off the wall idea..... new
      #205238 - 08/13/05 12:33 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

Why not go offer to help him saying that the noise is so stressful for you that you would like to help him finish it sooner than later. Now of course you have to be prepared for him to take you up on the offer but then you could have him reduce your rent.

Shoot...the guy may feel guilty enough to get it done quicker and hire someone to help him!

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

check your lease ... new
      #205296 - 08/13/05 06:20 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I know you are going month to month right now, but aside from the length of the lease, the original terms of your agreement should apply. Most standard form leases have some clauses in there about the landlord's duty to keep the place free from excessive noise, etc. Check it out and see if there is anything like that in the lease. I know you don't want to spend money on a lawyer right now, but he doesn't have to know that. If there is anything in your lease dealing with noise, call him up, remind him of it, and tell him that gee golly you sure do hope you don't have to call your uncle the lawyer.
HTH.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: He owns the building new
      #205664 - 08/15/05 03:52 PM
lalala

I don't think I responded to this, but I just wanted to thank you for your kind words and compliments.

Now, about that landlord of yours...AAARGH! He's not still not pounding away during the work week, is he?

Of course he is new
      #205715 - 08/15/05 06:27 PM
Augie

He's here everynight now. So, not only is Saturday a total stress filled day...I don't even want to come home from work anymore. How sad is that! I find myself loitering around for an hour after my shift ends, and then driving around a bit, then do some walking.

If I could decide where I wanted to live, I would be out of here!

Thanks for checking in on me, Maria. I am like Rachel...all I can do is cry as he hammers and pounds away. I just can't take much more and I feel like I am going insane.

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 226 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2694

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review