All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
potential mouse poop? and other happenings..
      #201566 - 08/01/05 08:24 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

I have another random question..

My kitchen is sqaure shaped with cupboards all around it, and an island. On the other side of the island, there is a random additional cupboard underneath the island and across from where the dishwasher is on the other side.

anyways.. I recently opened it up (its stacked with boxes of out of season clothes, a rice cooker etc) and I noticed what looked like tiny brown droppings. Picture uncooked rice, (same shape and size) but brown in the cupboard. I then used the dustbuster and quickly vaccumed them up not moving anything out of the way. Well, I just randomly looked in there again, and once again there are more of these random black rice like droppings in there.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?!? I looked through the other cabinets and didn't see anything even remotely similar, and I've never actually heard a mouse or anything of the sort in my apt before. To be honest, I rarely open this cabinet, and I'm scared to move stuff around in fear that i'll find a mouse. I live alone in an apt, so I wouldn't know what to do with a mouse if I found one. Probably live on the top of my island because i'd be scared to come down.

Anyways, I'm just wondering if this even could be a mouse, or any other infestation? Its not anywhere else in the apt, but this one cabinet and I'm not sure how anything would have got in there in the first place. help would be greatly appreciated.

In other news..
I have my first gastro appointment in boston tomorrow morning. I haven't had one since I was about 19 or 20 (and i'm turning 24 in 12 days so thats been a long time!) So i'm gonna go and cross my fingers that he reccomends a colonoscopy or can give me some miracle drug that will help cure this lovely D. Wish me luck and cross your fingers that he rocks! Also cross your fingers that he's not young and cute beacuse then i'll be mortified talking to him about my diarrhea.

Also..
i'm back from amanda's today, and we had an awesome time together! we wined, dined, shopped and talked ALOT and had a fabulous time (haha we were ibs nightmares but actually dind't have any attacks! probably because we were having so much fun)! I miss her already. We took pics too, but I'll have to post them later. i'm exhausted now, and i've got my gastro, three 1/2 hours of class, and a red sox game at fenway tomorrow! but i'll post it asap

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

yup.....seems like you have a little pet! new
      #201617 - 08/02/05 04:44 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

It will be more afraid of you than you of him. I had the same problem and d-con took care of it. D-con is a mouse poison so if you have an aversion to killing animals you might want to consider a mouse trap but I think they kill the critter too.

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

oh yay! (nope) new
      #201635 - 08/02/05 06:10 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

D-con.. hmm is it a spray or a trap or what is it?

Should I move all the stuff around back there to find out where it is hiding!! probably behind sheets etc. The cabinet is really no more than three feet by three feet and its pretty full. Ugh.. I just dont' want to open it and find a dead mouse but I guess I have no choice right!

yuuuuuuuck! so you're pretty sure it isn't any other kind of animal?

--------------------

Re: potential mouse poop? and other happenings.. new
      #201649 - 08/02/05 06:32 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Oh no Ashely, you definitely have mice. There's rarely ever just one mouse. Not to freak you out but I'm sure they are living in your wool sweaters. I had a sweater destroyed by mice last year. I would call an exterminator immediately. Their poop is full of all kinds of germs and bad stuff. If you are feeling brave enough to do this, tie a bandana around your mouth (so you don't breathe in gross stuff), wear gloves, pick up the boxes out of the cabinet, and run them outside to your porch. Then, you can work up the courage to dump them over and see what comes out. I would invite some boys over to help you. Good luck. I had 24 mice in my old apartment, living in the wall between me and my crack addict neighbor. They mostly lived over in her place, but definitely visited mine too. Oh yes, look out for tiny yellowish brown sticky drops. That's mouse pee adn it's equally gross. So sorry you are dealing with this!
Just come back and live with me. No mice in my new place!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: oh yay! (nope) new
      #201652 - 08/02/05 06:36 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

It's really almost definitely a mouse. I prefer traps to poison just because if they die in a trap, you know right where they are. If they take the poison, they can crawl away and hide somewhere and die, and they will STINK, and you will never find them. Glue traps work well, and are cleaner than the snapping traps, which tend to splatter blood everywhere. Sorry for the graphic description. I would definitley call an exterminator, who will be able to spray repellant around, place the traps where they should go, and will maybe even come back in a week to see if any of the traps are "full." Also, there are rodent repellers that you can plug into your wall socket (I had one in my apt right where you went to plug your cell in). They send out a high frequency that we can't hear but that drives rodents nuts. The more sophisticated ones also hook into the ground electrical wiring and in addition to the noise, they send out electric pulses all through the walls. Once I got those in my old apartment the mice never came back. Search online for electronic rodent repellers or pest repellers and see what you come up with.

--------------------
Amanda

#201653 - 08/02/05 06:36 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

Nope its definitely mice. Do you have a super? I would inform them and the mice shoudl be eliminated at the owner's expense.

--------------------

#201655 - 08/02/05 06:39 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Nope, it's a condo complex. She's got a mortgage, etc, so no super and "owner's expense" pretty much means her.

--------------------
Amanda

#201668 - 08/02/05 06:56 AM
TommyNY

Ahh I see. I have a co-op so the maintenance fee I pay every month covers extermination. Luckily, I have yet to have the need to use those services. THANK GOD!

--------------------

Once you get rid of them... new
      #201675 - 08/02/05 07:11 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

They sell these little things at Walmart/Target/etc...that you just plug into the wall and it sends out some frequency wave that keeps mice away. I am terrified of mice, and so when we moved into a house with a cornfield behind it, I bought some for the basement. We have never had a problem, and our neighbors sure have! They are cheap too. I'd just plug one in in your kitchen somewhere! I forget what they are called...but I just asked at the store and they led me to it!

--------------------
~Cara~

Tommy new
      #201724 - 08/02/05 09:28 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

I do have a condo fee that I pay in addition to my mortgage every month. I wonder if that covers it? Is that what you mean?

--------------------

Re: Once you get rid of them... new
      #201725 - 08/02/05 09:29 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

thanks cara.. I'll check that out! do I have to kill the mouse first or can I just use that frequency thing to drive them away?

--------------------

#201726 - 08/02/05 09:30 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

thanks! disgusting right! ewww.. well I think that they are only in this one cabinet so far. I haven't seen any other signs of them elsewhere throughout the house or the other cabinets. So gross right?

I'll figure something out soon hopefully

--------------------

Re: Tommy new
      #201727 - 08/02/05 09:30 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Check into it. Do you have a contract with them? The condo fee might just be for the upkeep of the common areas (hallways, exterior of building, etc), but mice are a problem for everyone in that they are unlikely to just stay in one apartment (they don't know the difference!) so it might be worth looking into. Do you have a condo association president or someone you can call?

--------------------
Amanda

#201729 - 08/02/05 09:32 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

I'd get them now AND call the exterminator to have him do his worst!

Meanwhile Ghostbusters is just coming out on a special edition DVD and they were talking about it on the news. So now I'm totally imagining you having the Ghostbusters into the house to rid you of mice ...

--------------------
Amanda

Back from my GI new
      #201733 - 08/02/05 09:33 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

and luckily he wasn't a hottie so I had no problem talking about my diarrhea!

Anyways.. we did some blood work, and he's testing for celiac, lactose intolerance, and a bunch of other stuff, and I have to send in a stool sample

he also scheduled me a small bowel xray for in a week or two, and if they dont' find anything in that they want to give me a colonoscopy! yikkkes. HOpefully he'll be able to figure out something to help me!

oh and I forgot to mention last time that this weekend me and panda were shopping at bloomies with diane lane and josh brolin.

she was looking for cowboy boots and we walked by this bored looking husband and I said damn he looks like josh brolin. Amanda was like no way.. next thing we know there they are walking past us holding hands.

--------------------

#201736 - 08/02/05 09:34 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

oh lord. haha thanks amanda!

I'll have to wait until tomorrow though because i'm already running late for class AND I have a sox game tonight.

miss you!

--------------------

sounds like a mouse to me.... new
      #201740 - 08/02/05 09:45 AM
poochibelly

Go to any drugstore, Walmart, hardware store and ask for d-con. Happy Hunting!

--------------------

What Panda Said! new
      #201756 - 08/02/05 10:45 AM
TommyNY

I woudl definitely look into what Amanda suggested. If there is a number to call they would be able to tell you right off the bat if it covers it.

--------------------

#201821 - 08/02/05 01:38 PM
Cara4503

Quote:

thanks cara.. I'll check that out! do I have to kill the mouse first or can I just use that frequency thing to drive them away?

Hmm...I dont really know! Maybe it would drive them away!! Worth a shot, but I'd get one regardless just for peace of mind in the future! It was under $20...

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: Back from my GI new
      #201823 - 08/02/05 01:40 PM
Cara4503

Quote:

and luckily he wasn't a hottie so I had no problem talking about my diarrhea!

Anyways.. we did some blood work, and he's testing for celiac, lactose intolerance, and a bunch of other stuff, and I have to send in a stool sample

he also scheduled me a small bowel xray for in a week or two, and if they dont' find anything in that they want to give me a colonoscopy! yikkkes. HOpefully he'll be able to figure out something to help me!

oh and I forgot to mention last time that this weekend me and panda were shopping at bloomies with diane lane and josh brolin.

she was looking for cowboy boots and we walked by this bored looking husband and I said damn he looks like josh brolin. Amanda was like no way.. next thing we know there they are walking past us holding hands.

That's awesome! I love her! She's gorgeous.

How do you send in a stool sample?!? LOL!

--------------------
~Cara~

#201826 - 08/02/05 01:48 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

ugh.. I have to poop in a jar at home three different times and drive them to the hospital. ANNOYING! AND YUCKY!

--------------------

Re: What Panda Said! new
      #201827 - 08/02/05 01:49 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

COOL.... I don't have a number.. but I have an email address to the condo assoc president. I'll drop him an email and see what happens.

--------------------

ROFL! new
      #201828 - 08/02/05 01:51 PM
Cara4503

Hahahahahahhahahaha....that SUCKS! So sorry.....! But it is pretty funny too. How embarrassing to drop it off!! GROSS! LOL. Sorry....I feel so bad for you! Hopefully they can really help you though.

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: ROFL! new
      #201840 - 08/02/05 02:22 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

I had to do that too. You have to keep them in the fridge while you're waiting to accumulate 3 to bring to the dr office. It's hell. Plus I had to walk 10 blocks to the office carrying it all in a brown bag. I was SO depressed that day -- like is this what my life is coming to? Carrying sh!t in a brown bag? Oh well, I got over it.

--------------------
Amanda

#201851 - 08/02/05 02:55 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Who are you seeing as a GI? If I need a new one I'll know where to look.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

My husband delivered mine...now that is some kind of guy! new
      #201873 - 08/02/05 04:30 PM
poochibelly

I think I'll keep him! He's cute too!

--------------------

#201936 - 08/02/05 08:28 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Dr. Mathew Lowenstein at mount auburn hospital in cambridge massachusetts.

he actually seems really good thus far and is very easy to get an apt with. He just closed down his other office, and has alot of openings at his new place.

--------------------

ugh I know!!!!! new
      #201939 - 08/02/05 08:30 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

and the guy that took my blood said
"you know ashley, you really can't leave stool in the fridge so you need to drive them in at different times."

umm screw that buddy. I don't feel like driving to cambridge everytime I take a crap!!! It may be 2 miles away but with boston traffic..........

Anyways.. amanda.. you left yours in the fridge and it was fine..I might need to bend the rules and do that myself.

oh and PS. the brown bag will definitly be utilized!

--------------------

Sox won tonight and I was there!! woohoo! -nt- new
      #201940 - 08/02/05 08:31 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

--------------------

Wouldn't you hate to be..... new
      #201970 - 08/03/05 05:44 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

the person who "studies" those specimens? What a job!!!

Can you imagine being at a cocktail party, asking someone what they do for a living, and them saying, "I examine bowel movements."

Yikes! What a way to break up a crowd.

Sorry. I guess I have a warped sense of humor...but I can't get this off my mind.

Re: Wouldn't you hate to be..... new
      #202022 - 08/03/05 08:06 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

ugh thats nasty nasty!!! what a job!

--------------------

Picture of me and Amanda from NYC.... new
      #202028 - 08/03/05 08:19 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

aren't we fabulous....

--------------------

Edited by spicey813 (08/03/05 08:20 AM)

Great picture! -nt- new
      #202029 - 08/03/05 08:21 AM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Re: Picture of me and Amanda from NYC.... new
      #202030 - 08/03/05 08:22 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Cute Pic. But, why under the heading 'mouse poop'.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

Re: You both look fabulous!! nt new
      #202032 - 08/03/05 08:27 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#202037 - 08/03/05 08:38 AM
TommyNY

Well, there is PLENTY of mouse poop in NY City!

--------------------

#202038 - 08/03/05 08:39 AM
TommyNY

Where was that picture taken? You guys look like you were having fun!

--------------------

#202039 - 08/03/05 08:40 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

at divine bar!! its a yummy tapas resturant with wine flights.. (thats why we have so many wine glasses in front of us)... you'll have to ask amanda what street its on though!

--------------------

#202040 - 08/03/05 08:42 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

haha oh I know.. but basically.. the original post was all about mouse poop, me and amanda and our weekend in NYC, and my new GI... so its totally all compiled in one post.

lovely huh?

--------------------

#202043 - 08/03/05 08:44 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Yeah Divine Bar is my favorite place. There are two -- one on the west side, 50s and about B'way, near Letterman. The one we were at is on the east side, about 54th and 3rd.

--------------------
Amanda

#202050 - 08/03/05 08:55 AM
TommyNY

I thought it looked familiar. been there a few times. There used to be one in the Wall St area but it closed.

--------------------

Too cute! new
      #202056 - 08/03/05 09:12 AM
Cara4503

You two are gorgeous! I wish I could have hung out with you too! Glad you had fun.

--------------------
~Cara~

awwww thanks! you are too! -nt- new
      #202060 - 08/03/05 09:24 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

--------------------

Ahhh! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! new
      #202062 - 08/03/05 09:34 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

You two are both so pretty! Just goes to prove that only beautiful people have IBS.

Very cute!! new
      #202114 - 08/03/05 12:40 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I'm jealous that you got to meet!! and in NYC, no less. You are both SO pretty! I'm sure you were beating guys off with a stick!

--------------------

Re: Ahhh! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! new
      #202115 - 08/03/05 12:43 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

You guys look great- just like I though you would on a night on the town!

--------------------
S.

Re: You're both gorgeous! Hugs. -nt- new
      #202124 - 08/03/05 12:52 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#202139 - 08/03/05 01:22 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Heeeey cool!

Did you two have a blast?

Thanks for all the compliments, guys! new
      #202150 - 08/03/05 01:45 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

You're really inflating our egos! We did have a great time. Ashley is even cooler in person than she is online. Hopefully I'll go up to Boston next (if she takes care of her little rodent problem!)

--------------------
Amanda

#202174 - 08/03/05 03:22 PM

Unregistered

What a great picture! You both look like you're having a blast!!

I'm still bummed I haven't gotten to meet either of you yet...all in good time though! If I have it my way I'll be moving to NYC in January

Re: Thanks for all the compliments, guys! new
      #202276 - 08/03/05 09:31 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

yeah thanks everyone! you're seriously very very nice!

and amanda.. you must come to boston. SOON. hopefully the rodents will be under control asap. I emailed the condo assoc and they are sending out an exterminator.

--------------------

Ashley....have you found your pet "of the rodent persuasion"? ~nt~ new
      #202557 - 08/04/05 04:05 PM
poochibelly

--------------------

#202597 - 08/04/05 06:22 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Great picture you two! Looks like you had a blast. I jope that you get rid of that rodent problem. We have them alot in the garage since we live by a field. So far none in the house!!

Nice picture new
      #202603 - 08/04/05 06:44 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

It would be so cool to have a buddy close enough to visit. I'm jealous!

Did you two know each other before the boards?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

haha now that you mention it more advice needed.... new
      #202670 - 08/04/05 08:39 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

haha not yet!

I finally today mustered the courage to take all of the stuff in the cabinet out. (in my mind I was picturing move the towels and boxes and having mice jumping out at my face).

Anyways.. I moved it very carefully, stuffed it all in a trash bag and threw it on the patio since it is all covered in tiny mouse droppings (anyone know if I could just wash them and reuse to towels or should I throw them away).

Then tonight I went to target and bought a few fancy traps. I thought about the pellets and poison food but didn't want them eating it and dying somewhere underneath my cupboard.. but I also didnt' want to pick up yucky traps with mice in them that I could see.. so I found mouse traps that you put the bait in the bottom and they walk in the tunnel and it traps them in there and I guess kills them instantly. So hopefully they work!

When moving out the stuff earlier today I noticed where they came in from. A lovely bit chewed out of my cabinet in the bottom left corner. Stupid rodents.. the cabinets are literally a year old. Anyways.. what should I do to repair that hole.. my mom says to plug it in with steel wool because they can't eat through that but to wait until I catch at least one in my trap so that I don't trap live mice in my walls to randomly chew through another cabinet. Any other ideas?

--------------------

Re: Nice picture new
      #202671 - 08/04/05 08:43 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

nope.. we randomly met here on the boards about a year and a few months ago.. I was having exboyfriend problems.. amanda was more than happy to help and we hit it off.

Now I'll honestly say she's one of my bestfriends. Look at ibs.. bringing tommy and tina together.. me and amanda (although not quite comparable! ) but still awesome to have hit it off.

We don't live that close to each other.. both city girls.. but we're about 3 1/2 hours apart! maybe there's people in the illinois vicinity that want to hook up as well.

--------------------

btw amanda.... new
      #202672 - 08/04/05 08:46 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

I was watching that show on ABC hooking up... all about online dating in NYC..

anyways.. one of the dates went to that yummy mexican place we ate at.. I could tell by the guacamole.. they made it at the table in the same stone thingys. haha I felt so cool watching it thinking.. yup I ate there!

--------------------

Re: My husband delivered mine...now that is some kind of guy! new
      #202673 - 08/04/05 08:50 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

oh my gosh that is some guy!!! you weren't embarassed that he was looking at your poop in a jar?

--------------------

Re: haha now that you mention it more advice needed.... new
      #202674 - 08/04/05 08:56 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

oh and I might have mentioned this before but Tommy and Amanda's advice was right on. I emailed the condo assoc director and he's going to tell the building maintenance director about the mouse problem.

Apparently there is already a contract with a terminator, however the maintenance man is on vacation until monday, so I figured i'd do a little dirty work myself.. hence the aforementioned mouse traps. Because by the time the guy gets back on monday.. makes an apt with a exterminator who knows how long it could take.. but at least I know it will be done eventually.. and i'm helping out the process.

--------------------

Re: btw amanda.... new
      #202693 - 08/05/05 05:05 AM
TommyNY

Tina and I were watching that on tv last night. We have been watchingthe show since it started. That was no Caliente Cab Co. was it?

--------------------

Re: Nice picture new
      #202694 - 08/05/05 05:08 AM
TommyNY

Sounds like we should all be in a commercial for Heather. IBS, bringing people closer together each and everyday!

--------------------

We have been married so long.....nah. ~nt~ new
      #202696 - 08/05/05 05:20 AM
poochibelly

--------------------

I agree Ash! new
      #202711 - 08/05/05 06:41 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

These boards are bringing so many people together. It's FABULOUS!!!!

Hey Ashley new
      #202772 - 08/05/05 08:45 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

What's going on with your internet guy? Any further dates? Do you mind me asking which site you found him on? Any suggestions...if I ever got the nerve.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

I third that!! new
      #202932 - 08/05/05 02:59 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I have met some fabulous people on these boards!! There are so many nice people here... I can't wait to see Natalie again and meet Sinead and Pad!

~nelly~

#202948 - 08/05/05 04:31 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

A little late replying to this one but you guys look great! You look like you're really having a fun night out on the town (reminds me of Sex and the City or something)

sex and the city girls!!!! new
      #203051 - 08/05/05 09:19 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

HOW FLATTERING!!

I love SATC..

I call charlotte/carrie mix!

Amanda can be miranda cause they are both lawyers and smart..but amandas way cooler and way prettier so she can have a little charlotte in her too.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 259 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16276

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review