All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Anyone ever gain weight from the pill?
      #200436 - 07/28/05 11:16 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I just weighed myself and I've gained 10 lbs in the 3 months that I've been on the pill. YIKES!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone ever gain weight from the pill? new
      #200443 - 07/28/05 11:38 AM
SCgirl

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: Charleston SC

I have been on the pill for years and I have definitely noticed that I have gained at LEAST 10 lbs. I would suggest if you keep gaining weight to go back to the doctor and tell him/her that you want to try a different one. My doctor always says that if I am not happy with my pill that there are millions out there I can try until I really like one that works for me. I used to be on the patch, totally hated it! I would get a cramp right where I would put it and throughout the day it would get like a nasty band aid with that icky stuff around it and it would also crinkle up. Too much to worry about, I will stick with the Low- Estrin pill. My friend is also on that new Seasonale and she has lost weight since she has been on it!! You only have four periods a year or something like that too..which would be good.

#200446 - 07/28/05 11:41 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Yep, weight gain is a common side effect of the pill!! I went on it when I was 16, at the time I was like 80 pounds. I gained about 15 pounds in the first couple of months! After that, the weight gained stopped, that is until I hit my mid 20's!! Oh, how I miss being skinny!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#200447 - 07/28/05 11:41 AM
Sara-Sage

Thanks, see this si the first time I've ever been on the pill. Twice before I tried but had bad reactions (intense nausea, etc) so this one is good reaction-wise. I just ahte that my clothes aren't fitting.

#200448 - 07/28/05 11:42 AM
Sara-Sage

Really??? Ugh! This better stop.

I miss being skinny too.

#200454 - 07/28/05 11:48 AM
SCgirl

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: Charleston SC

You look skinny in your pic so I wouldnt worry about it!! I was talking about gaining weight the other day with my friends and we got on the BC subject and one of them was like well "my doctor told me that the first couple months that you are on it you will have cravings and if you can resist for like the first 3 months than you will be ok." LOL Who wants to wait 3 months when you are starving!LOL

Yup... new
      #200456 - 07/28/05 11:49 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

When I first went on bc (at 19 I think?) I gained almost 15 lbs in a matter of a few WEEKS. It was pretty freaky because I was sooo skinny before (110 lbs) and I have a really small frame. Luckily for me I didn't really have to do anything and most of the weight just dropped off on its own after a few months. Since then I'm no longer stick-skinny (which I'm *thankful* for!!) - but hormonally that probably would have happened eventually anyway

Short answer: YES new
      #200460 - 07/28/05 11:53 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Long answer: Of course, my doctor pointed out that I've got a history of weight problems - and I do - so he's hesitant to let me blame the pill. But I'm definitely gaining weight differently than I used to (it's all around my middle), and it's making me more depressed than my weight has EVER made me, which is why he's switching me off of it and onto the patch... which I used before and really like, it's low-hormone.

I was on the patch from August till February, and my weight had evened out from when I was so sick over the summer. I switched to the pill in February, and since then, I've shot up from 120 to 145. I don't think it's the pill itself, but it seems to give me uncontrollable munchies. I literally never feel full anymore!

the patch new
      #200465 - 07/28/05 11:59 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I switched to the patch too around last xmas. I never had any weight gain or negative side effects (a little nausea at first but it passed quickly) and I really, really like it now... it's so much easier to deal with because you don't have to remember to take a pill every night. My doc switched me to it because a) there was lactose in my pill and b) the patch bypasses your stomach. I can't really say for sure if it's helped with my IBS or not but I do prefer it!

Re: Short answer: YES new
      #200466 - 07/28/05 11:59 AM
Sara-Sage

Yes Casey. The web search I did says it increases appetite. And I have noticed a HUGE increase in my appetite. I can outeat Tommy for gods sake!

Not sure what I'll do.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 143 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12622

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review