All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
(Maybe TMI) Colonoscopy Results: Ugh and Ouch
      #199778 - 07/27/05 07:12 AM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

Yes, the results are in, and the Emmy goes to....oh, wait, never mind.

Anyway, first thing's first. During the pre-colonoscopy prep they had to do blood work on me and I had them run a celiac test since they already had my blood. That came back negative; I do NOT have celiac.

Biopsies came back normal, thus ruling out colon cancer, IBD, Chrohn's, and other such things. The colon itself is fine with no inflammation, polyps, or anything whatsoever.

The problem is in the rectum. The lining, apparently, is folded over onto itself. My GI said that this is either 1) Prolapse or 2) Proctitis. If it's prolapse, then I need surgery, but he doesn't think that's what it is because in his words, prolapse is "the kind of thing you'd find in an 80 year old woman." So there.

So we're assuming it's proctitis, a mild form of colitis with some inflammation. What happens is that when I have a BM, the lining gets pulled down with it, reducing the space available and leading to intense strain and potential bleeding. No surgery for this, thank goodness.

The treatment plan, however, is going to be painful. I'm supposed to use a hydrocortizone suppository once a day at night for the next 2 WEEKS. After that, reduce it down to once or twice a week. So I'm thrilled, can't you tell (voice dripping with sarcasm).

As for whether or not he thinks I have IBS, he doesn't know. Best he could tell me was "Don't have constipation." Yay. Right.

That's about it. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Avidan

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: (Maybe TMI) Colonoscopy Results: Ugh and Ouch new
      #199784 - 07/27/05 07:31 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Why's it going to be painful? Isn't hydrocortisone a painkiller anti-inflammatory thingy? I know suppositories are yuck, but if it helps, ya know? I'm on another course atm for my darn hemms.

How would they diagnose prolapse? We do seem to get weird things...there's no set rules about this stuff!

Yikes! new
      #199785 - 07/27/05 07:32 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Sounds PAINFUL!

Def not too much info...found it interesting (sorry if that's gross!) Never heard of this before!

How do you FEEL today? I hope ok

Keep us posted. Do you agree with the diagnosis and course of treatment? Are you wanting our opinion or are ya just sharing your experience?

Thnanks for updating us...you brave man!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Linz and hemms new
      #199787 - 07/27/05 07:33 AM
Snow for Sarala

What are you doing for them? I get them too...so I'm curious! *hugs*

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Linz and hemms new
      #199789 - 07/27/05 07:36 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Anusol suppositories. Sinead got me started on them and they're great. Cleared up the last lot when creams were doing nothing.

Yikes! new
      #199835 - 07/27/05 08:37 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

You're right. That treatment doesn't sound too pleasant. Is this supposed to resolve this? Or is this treatment something you're going to have to do long term?

I think I'd take the doctor's notes and the results of the tests to another doctor---and get a second opinion.

Y'know BL... new
      #199850 - 07/27/05 08:46 AM
Snow for Sarala

I was thinking the EXACT same thing...but I am TOO SHY AND UNCONFIDENT to state my own opinion

I second this Avidan! I would def. get a 2nd opinion! I don't like the fact that the doc said "It could be this or this...I'll say THIS ONE"! You deserve to know what's going on in your body!

There, I said it

Hang in there...

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Thanks Linz *hugs* n-t new
      #199852 - 07/27/05 08:48 AM
Snow for Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#199861 - 07/27/05 09:01 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I've not heard of this before. Does the dr think that after a few weeks of treatment that it will go away and is it likely to come back?

I don't think the suppositories are going to be that bad once you get over the initial fear of actually inserting them. I'm hoping the medication in them you help soothe everything for you!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: (Maybe TMI) Colonoscopy Results: Ugh and Ouch new
      #199896 - 07/27/05 09:39 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I get prolapses too, but they always resolve themselves. I had one while I was in the hospital in March, and I begged for those baby wipe things, but they said they didn't have them. I'm like, Yea, check the neonatology wing, doofuses, but still they wouldn't give them up. Finally I told them that I had persistant D every 10 minutes and if they weren't going to give me moistened wipes, they'd better supply me with a continuous supply of clean towels, cos that's what I was going to wet and wipe myself with. (!!!) I had a stack of fresh towels in like 5 minutes, and the head nurse made a report to management on my behalf why they should stop discontinuing them. She was so in my corner, and it's terrible what the hospital administration does to nurses in the name of cutting costs. OK, end rant.

~nelly~

Response to everyone new
      #199927 - 07/27/05 10:11 AM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

Why not condense all answers into one post and save time and space...

I'm fairly confident with this because 1) He explained it well to me, and 2) He showed me pictures. My other GI is back in Philly, and I'm starting to get annoyed with them beause they didn't provide my records to the doctor that did my colonoscopy, even though both I and the doctor called them.

The reason he isn't sure is primarily the age issue. He suspects it isn't prolapse because I'm likely too young for it. The suppositories are supposed to reduce the inflamation and smooth out the lining to make my BMs more manageable. It is a treatment that would be discontinued eventually once the problem gets corrected. If that doesn't work, then we'll consider the possibility of prolapse.

Oh, about those suppositories, I only say ouch because I remember the suppository before the colonoscopy and that hurt, though that may have just been because of the night before (ouch ouch ugh ouch ouch SCREAM pant pant ouch)

Thanks for all your support and I'll keep you posted as the suppositories keep coming. Or going, as the case may be.

Avidan

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

Edited by Computr821 (07/27/05 10:12 AM)

#200115 - 07/27/05 03:22 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Linz- remember the warning I forgot to give you about them...the sticky stuff....we should share this but I'm very uneloquent today

--------------------
S.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1525 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2352

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review