All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Personal update with praises
      #19888 - 09/08/03 07:22 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I'm going to make this as brief as I can because I don't like talking about myself, but I've shared some pretty whacked out thoughts on here in recent months and think it's only right to clear the air on all that. You all have been nothing but kind and I'd like you to know where things stand.

In the midst of feeling so bad (IBS,physically hurting) you know I started to lose a lot of weight and then started to LIKE that I was losing a lot of weight and really didn't want to stop losing weight, and began eating less and less until there was cause for concern. I've been through some "therapy" in a sense but not officially therapy, with some amazing accountability partners I started going through a Bible study called Breaking Free by Beth Moore. For any christians here Beth Moore is an amazing writer and women's speaker, speaks right to the practical issues of life. Well this particular study is on identifying strongholds in your life, things that may come from your past or your wrong perceptions of yourself or others or God, and tackling those as you strive to replace them with the truth. I've had several people helping me along this road, and I just finished the study this weekend. In the end, as you'd expect, the whole ordeal had very little to do with weight or food. It had to do with me #1) being downright depressed starting last summer with the new baby, the move, ALL the changes in our life, the physical problems I was having, Luke's ongoing "issues", and the fact that I was just quite literally exhausted, #2) my inability to express those feelings to anyone in my life, or to even accept those feelings myself, because I believed they were bad or invalid, that I should not feel that way, #3) the resulting guilt just made me feel bad about myself all around, in every way, as a mother, as a wife, even down to thinking bad about my body I guess (doesn't help when IBS makes you bloated, bloated can come to equal "fat" in your mind though it's not the same at ALL). These guilty feelings came from the way I was raised and the way "bad" things were handled in my family. Any negative emotion I do feel, I tend to supress, and keep up a strong, happy front. It's like I'm afraid of my own feelings. You can only do that so long! And it's not at all the way God intended for us to deal with things.

So... all this was a huge blessing as I've learned a lot about myself. I feel strong now, I'm not "my old self" but I think I'm better off in the long run. I'm not trying to open up a conversation around all this as, like I said, I really don't like talking about myself and would much rather share on the kids or football season or discuss... basically ANYTHING else! But I wanted to let you know that things are better.

Thanks, and praise the Lord who is faithful to keep His promises,

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Personal update with praises new
      #19897 - 09/08/03 08:10 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I remember your previous post with your struggles and therapy. I am so happy to hear you were able to begin to resolve some of these issues.

Feelings are very difficult thing to deal with, especially when you are programmed they are invalid as a child. (I had the same situation). It is difficult to learn how to show feelings.

You are a wonderful person and you have come a long way...you should be very proud!

Congrats!

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#19898 - 09/08/03 08:40 AM
artist

Reged: 05/28/03

You are a very brave woman to share your struggles with us. God has given you much to deal with because you are strong enough to handle it and will grow with each learning experience. May you find renewed strength by reflecting on all you have accomplished. artist(Kathleen)

#19910 - 09/08/03 10:34 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Michelle -

I'm so happy you are feeling better. You are such a sweet person, you deserve it.

Even though I love seeing pics of you kids when post new ones, I also love reading about your progress. Thank you for sharing with us.

I keep hearing about Beth Moore! Need to get this.... new
      #20101 - 09/09/03 04:47 PM
KaybeeC

Reged: 03/14/03
Loc: Ohio

....and give it a try. I've heard lots of good things about the "Breaking Free" study. Her testimony is amazing! She's so candid about her faith and how it's exploded. Recently, I saw Beth and Kathy Troccoli on "Life Today" with James & Betty Robison - they were a riot!

I know that there are so many things I'm in bondage to - even though I've loosened the ties, they're still there - and I really do long to "break free." A few years ago, our Associate Pastor told me that I really didn't need to be reading anything but Neil Anderson's "Bondage Breakers" - and the Bible.....but, of course, I ignored him! I was a brand new Christian and that stuff scared me.

I'm just concentrating right now on trying to get back to some disciplined quiet time - my life has been in such upheaval for the past year. But, it sounds like Beth's study and Neil Anderson's stuff might be things I need - along with "Changes That Heal" by the guys from New Life... (I tried one of Beth Moore's video Bible studies at church, but it wasn't closed-captioned and I couldn't understand it. It's really difficult for me to participate in anything larger than 5 - 6 people because I can't follow the conversation. So, it's encouraging that you did this on your own!). Thanks so much for sharing what God has been doing in your life!

Blessings in Him,
Kaybee C

#20699 - 09/14/03 11:01 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Michelle,

I'm so glad to hear that things are moving in a postive direction for you. I won't say too much more as I know you've said you don't really like to discuss it all. Just wanted you to know I care and think about you often.

BTW, if we were to discuss football (and I love football!) I think we'd end up very confused as it seems our two nations have a completely different take on what football is!!!!!!!!!

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#20702 - 09/15/03 04:37 AM
ecmmbm

Yes, from what I understand, football to the REST of the world is what my little Luke plays on Saturday mornings. And YES, that IS more entertaining to watch that what we here in the states all go nuts watching on Sunday afternoons and Monday nights (by the way, GO PANTHERS!!!!!) Sorry, had to throw that in there!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

Yes, can you believe those Carolina Panthers beat Tampa Bay!!! new
      #20705 - 09/15/03 05:33 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Re: I missed the game but caught the highlights and could NOT believe it!!!!!! nt new
      #20713 - 09/15/03 06:40 AM
ecmmbm

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 303 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2201

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review