View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Worried about colonoscopy.. some questions please
      #197552 - 07/19/05 11:35 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi guys,

My colonoscopy is coming up on Friday and I am getting really worried about it.
My prep is obviously Thursday, and I am really worried about having to take the cod liver oil.. I think I won't even be able to get it down! Anyway, I got it today and it says on the package in big letters not to take it whilst pregnant or whilst menstruating.
Just to make my life hell, I will be having probably my heaviest period day on Friday, the day of my test!!
What should I do? Should I just take the oil anyway on Thursday, even though my period should start tomorrow (Wednesday)? Can I still have the exam while I have my period? Can I still use a tampon? (Sorry if TMI, I am just concerned).

Blaaaaaah!!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Worried about colonoscopy.. some questions please new
      #197553 - 07/19/05 11:37 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Steph,

First of all, try and relax The procedure won't be bad at all...you'll realize you're worrying for nothing

So, cod liver oil eh? Is there a particular reason you were given that for the prep? I've never heard of that before...most of the time docs use fleet, citro-mag or go-litely.

As for your period, it shouldn't be a problem to have your period while they do the procedure, just wear a tampon like you said becuase you can't have your undies on But if the cod liver oil says you shouldn't take it while menstruating I would contact your doc to see if it's ok. Maybe they can give you something else for the prep.

Good luck,
Kelly

I agree with Kelly new
      #197559 - 07/20/05 12:12 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Ask your doc...or a nurse at the doctor's office and then just wear a tampon. Jeez, how hard can life be for us girlies!

Hmm I wonder why it says that? Weird.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Re: I agree with Kelly new
      #197581 - 07/20/05 04:51 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I also agree with Kelly.

Just a note from my own experience, my prep instructions said to just wear a tampon.

#197593 - 07/20/05 06:18 AM
Kimm

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Awwww Steph!! Like having the colonoscopy isn't stressful enough you get to have your period for it too??

Sometimes life just isn't fair!!!

I would agree with what everyone else said about asking the doc or a nurse before you do the prep.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. *HUGS*

#197611 - 07/20/05 06:50 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

If you have your period, postpone the colonsocopy!

Er, CASTOR oil... not cod liver oil, whoops!! -nt- new
      #197821 - 07/20/05 01:57 PM
Stephie

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

About postponing it new
      #197823 - 07/20/05 01:59 PM
Stephie

I wish I could!! I really just want to get it over with, not just 'caust I have been stressing about it and want it to be done with, but because I have had to turn down 3 job offers recently because I couldn't get the day off so soon for the exam! I want to start lining up some interviews for next week, and need to be able to start work ASAP. We are so broke that I just can't afford to keep putting it off, especially when goodness knows when the next appointment will be available. Oy.
--Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

Update: Answer the darn phone!!! new
      #197824 - 07/20/05 02:03 PM
Stephie

So I have been calling my GIs office since 9 this morning and nobody is answering!! It has this loooong message, and the last option is to just stay on the line to leave a message. Then it tries to transfer you to leave a message, fails and puts you right back at the beginning of the bloody message!!!
I am so frustrated!
My counsellor, who used to be a nurse, said that the reason pregnant women can't take it is because it can bring on labour and that it can cause severe cramping. She said if you have your period, the cramps might be really intense and awful. Oh great!
I called my GP, she wasn't in the office, the woman on the phone said that she wouldn't take the castor oil while I have my period, but that she didn't know what exactly to suggest so she said to just keep trying the GI's office so she could tell me what to do.
I don't see why I can't just take that Phosphosoda twice instead of taking the oil once, and that soda stuff once? Baah!
--Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 220 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2027

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review