All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Why don't most of you post on the Eating Board?
      #197136 - 07/19/05 07:50 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I think it's great that you guys are all doing well, but a lot of your names I don't even recognize because I only usually post on the Eating Board as I try to come up with some answers.

I'm sure you guys all appreciated the help you once needed before getting better...so don't you think it would help others to get your words of advice?

I hope you guys reconsider. I appreciate all the names/faces I do see that are posting over there,,,,but so many unfamiliar one. And a lot used to post but never hardly do anymore...which I guess is your perogitive.

I know I won't be too popular now! Just asking you guys to remember back when you were'nt doing so well and maybe help us to learn how to get better. There are a lot of us who don't know how to answer each other because we aren't were you guys are.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I can speak for myself... new
      #197140 - 07/19/05 07:56 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

The living room area is now like a place to hang out and actch up on how all my ibs buddies are doing. I think many of us have been on the boards for a year or more and are pretty stable.

I think we all try to get to the other areas but I personally find the l.r. to be the most interesting.

Re: Why don't most of you post on the Eating Board? new
      #197143 - 07/19/05 08:01 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I check out the Eating Board, but I only post when I think I can say something to help someone else. I'm IBS-A now, but I was D before, so I can't really help much with the C's. So I may not be much help for some people.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#197146 - 07/19/05 08:03 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Not to ruffle feathers- lately the eating bored has been full of super cranky newbies that demand advice and then reject it, or ask question after question without doing a search. I don't mind helping people- but I do mind beating my head against a wall.

#197148 - 07/19/05 08:18 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I agree, I'm all about helping people but I get tired of the same exact questions over and over and over. I do look at the eating for ibs board everyday and I'll respond to a few things, especially that have the due with C, but if I see a question thats already been asked a billion times, I just skip it.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

I agree new
      #197159 - 07/19/05 08:35 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I always come to the Living Room first. I feel like I know more people here than I do the diet board and lately it seems many of the questions are related to IBS C which I cannot help with because if I even am C I thank my lucky stars.

--------------------
Janey

Another thought new
      #197172 - 07/19/05 08:40 AM
Janey

I also think those of us that hang out in the LR are pretty much stable and the LR gives us a chance to discuss other problems that aren't related to IBS. We have IBS under control for the most part and need to work on other life issues.

--------------------
Janey

#197174 - 07/19/05 08:41 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04

I agree with Jenny.. I check daily, but 95% of the questions have been covered before.

--------------------

#197177 - 07/19/05 08:54 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I'll echo the others here. I've been on these boards for more than a year. I check the Eating board every day, several times a day. I only respond when it is something I know something about. There are a lot of repeaters right now who don't/won't search, and if they find something, don't like what it says. Nothing can be done about that.

I come to the living room to check in with others and encourage folks. I do the same thing on the Eating board. Sorry you are not satisified with all of the information at your disposal. I hope you will be patient and find a stable point where you feel more at home on the boards. Sorry you are having a bad experience.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

This is my point new
      #197181 - 07/19/05 08:59 AM
Cyndy

Since you're all stable, you could help the people who aren't just like you were all helped. Then maybe the unstable ones could become stable and start helping others too.

I thought the purpose of the board were for everyone to try and help each other. Sorry if this offends anyone. I guess everyone has made their own decisions.

I'm not having a bad experience new
      #197184 - 07/19/05 09:02 AM
Cyndy

Just frustrated. And wanting help, as are the others who are struggling. Didn't want to offend anyone.

Sorry again. Didn't want to "ruffle feathers" either.

I just think you all could offer a lot of help. I won't say anymore.

Which boards? new
      #197185 - 07/19/05 09:04 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

Do you mean the Diet board, or Recipes??? I do check all the boards, and respond whenever I think I have anything useful to say, or sometimes I post something I've discovered that works for me. (Like a few weeks back---Benefiber). But I am pretty stable now, and eat stuff a lot of people can't so I don't want to go leading people in the wrong direction. If it's a basic question about food or something or working out, I'll answer. But sometimes I just don't really know how to help people...

--------------------

#197186 - 07/19/05 09:05 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

As a moderator of the Eating for IBS Diet Board, I can honestly say that most of the time when I get there, the question has already been answered. I personally don't want to sound like a broken record to someone else's answer. And if it hasn't been answered and I do know the answer, I jump right in.

Sorry you feel you're being neglected.

The Eating For IBS Board-nt new
      #197187 - 07/19/05 09:05 AM
Cyndy

I'm often reading posts on the diet board lately, but... new
      #197190 - 07/19/05 09:07 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I don't always have things to say. If I find any that I know I can answer, I make a point of doing my best. I'm not usually that good at offering advice, so I tend to shy away when I see others have answered.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Cyndy... new
      #197193 - 07/19/05 09:11 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

ok, I just checked the board really quick, and I have to agree that a lot of the posts are questions even I'VE seen before, even though I haven't been around that long. I think a lot of them can be answered with "follow the book, it's trial and error". Sounds silly, but that's how I figured my own situation out. It's hard to tell someone how to do that.
Otherwise, there are lots of questions on medications (I don't take any) or other more specific symptoms/diagnoses that I don't have or really know anything about. You definitely learn a lot on these boards and just finding out information in general, but it's hard to be an expert on everything, when your main focus is healing yourself. You know what I mean?
So probably if someone isn't getting a response, it's either been asked before, or no one has new, legitmate info. I'm not sure what your symptoms are, but if you have anything specific I can try to help, but like I said, I'm not really "sick" much. I used to have major bloating, gas, and C, and it's all but gone away except for the occasional episode. And I don't follow Heather's Diet to the letter, I experiment with what I can.

--------------------

Cyndy new
      #197198 - 07/19/05 09:22 AM
Janey

Do you have specfic questions on the diet board that have not been answered? When I check out the diet board it seems that most of the questions have several answers. If it seems that a question has been answered by someone else and I don't feel I have anything to add I will pass it by.

When I first starting coming to the boards I read everything that Heather put out to get info on what to eat and not to eat, what fiber to take and how much, etc. I don't remember asking so many questions as much as coming on the boards to discuss things with other people.

I think most people try very hard between work, ibs problems, families and other issues to do the best they can to help others. Those of us that are stable don't have all the answers by any means. Many of us are good at knowing what works best for ourselves but what works for one may not be the best for someone else.

We are all in the same boat but sometimes when one is stable it is nice to get away from IBS issues for a short while and focus on something else in the Living Room. Personally for me it isn't that I don't want to help others but I don't feel that I have all the answers just because I am stable right now.

--------------------
Janey

As someone who checks EVERY post in the EFI forum... new
      #197209 - 07/19/05 09:39 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...OY!

And I actually agree with something Ginger said. ALOT of the newbies these days are posting VERY simple questions that can be answered by reading the book or the diet guidelines and reading the info for newbies. Heather asks ALL newbies to do this, but loads of people don't bother anymore. And yep, it is ALOT more than it used to be. So it gets VERY frustrating to be answering the same question 3 times a day when I shouldn't have to. And then there's the people who ask the same question 3 times, or who I ask a question that I need the answer to to be able to help AND THEY DON'T ANSWER.

Partly b/c of that I know that if I'm tired or stressed, I can't cope with the EFI forum as it's too frustrating and tiring so on those occasions I might well just hang out in here. Sorry, but that's just the way it is.

I read the diet board several times a day, but... new
      #197213 - 07/19/05 09:46 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

To be totally honest, I won't waste my time on

1. Questions that have been asked a dozen times and can easily be answered by doing a board search, and

2. Along the same lines, questions that can be answered easily by reading the material that Heather has so graciously provided for free on the rest of the site.

I also tend to not respond to questions when I don't know the answers, because that would be misleading. Like Janey, I'm D-predominant and I thank my lucky stars when I actually get C, so I'd hardly be of any help to the dozens of C'ers asking questions lately. All I can say is, "Read Heather's books and eat more insoluble fiber", over and over, which is what I believe in but is probably less than helpful, you know?

When I was a newbie, I read, searched and experimented a whole lot more than I asked actual questions... I guess I tend to expect that from everyone else, too.

Just my point of view as a long-time poster and moderator. I try to help when I can, I honestly do, but most of the new folks tend to be C'ers, and I just don't feel like I can offer the best advice when I can't even commiserate.

The other thing is... new
      #197214 - 07/19/05 09:49 AM
chinagrl

Eh, nevermind.

Re: The other thing is... new
      #197221 - 07/19/05 10:00 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

Lately if you answer those posts by suggesting the person do a search they tend to get seriously nasty about it.

I'd like examples of this, because I'm not really seeing it.

Thanks.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

well my answer is ... new
      #197228 - 07/19/05 10:08 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

...a lot like everyone else's. If people read EFI: TFY, and Heather's cookbook, they don't have as many "basic" questions. This site is not designed to answer ever single question people might have. Think of it like a class on your new digestive system, and the books are required reading. You wouldn't show up to class and ask basic questions that were covered in the reading, would you? I just went and took a look at my first several posts, to make sure I wasn't kidding myself. I never asked questions like "what do I eat?" or "Is ice cream okay?" because I had already read the books. This site is a secondary resource to clarify questions that may not be thoroughly explained in EFI. And in EFI, Heather makes it plain that it takes a while to stabilize. People need to be patient and not demand answers to every little question. So much of this diet is common sense. If you can smush it with a fork, eat it. If you can't, then eat it in moderation after something smushable. There aren't that many rules, which is why it's so easy and effective. I also think that people are not making use of the sticky notes for newbies, and are not searching the boards before posting questions. If a newbie is asking a million simple questions that could be resolved by reading the books or doing a search, I won't answer, for fear that I will become that person's personal liason to the world of IBS.

I hope I haven't come off condescending or abrasive, and Cyndy, I'll admit that I'm not familiar with your posts so I'm not addressing you directly when I say "newbie." You asked a good question, and I'm giving you a direct answer.

All that being said, I do make a point to read any novel questions and answer them to the best of my ability. People on the Eating board really need to make use of the subject line when posting their questions. If it just says "what do I eat" or "question about fiber" I probably will skip it. If it says "Is cracked wheat okay?" then I'll probably look in and answer. Nobody is going to open every single thread, so the subject headings have to indicate that this is a question that has not been dealt with before. Otherwise, as you can see, none of us will read it.

I hope that helps.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#197235 - 07/19/05 10:15 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Quote:

As a moderator of the Eating for IBS Diet Board, I can honestly say that most of the time when I get there, the question has already been answered. I personally don't want to sound like a broken record to someone else's answer. And if it hasn't been answered and I do know the answer, I jump right in.

Sorry you feel you're being neglected.

Ditto.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Hey Amanda new
      #197242 - 07/19/05 10:22 AM
Janey

I did the same thing you did, went back and checked my first posts to see the topics. I didn't remember asking so many questions but I wanted to check and make sure. You know the memory isn't what it used to be.

--------------------
Janey

Re: The other thing is... new
      #197245 - 07/19/05 10:23 AM
chinagrl

I don't really have time for that, so I just deleted the post. Could just be my perception.

I know the feeling new
      #197247 - 07/19/05 10:26 AM
Janey

I keep thinking of things to add but who wants to hear me go on and on. We have all said basically the same thing.

--------------------
Janey

Okay, sorry to be a broken record but.... new
      #197250 - 07/19/05 10:30 AM
Linz

...just thought of something else that's been bugging me ALOT in the diet forum. People who post saying nothing works for me, this diet just doesn't work, I want to have surgery/die/never eat again...and then you find they're eating BASIC triggers like sorbitol or coffee EVERY SINGLE DAY. Sometimes I do struggle to be polite I have to admit.

#197255 - 07/19/05 10:34 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

I find there is not much I can add to the Eating for the IBS boards that is not in Heather's books or available through a search. And like everyone else, I know all the people that post here and I consider a lot of people here friends. It is ok to ask why we don't post. I don't have a problem with that.

--------------------

#197273 - 07/19/05 10:43 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I stopped venturing over there a couple months ago because it was always the exact same questions over and over and over and if you just do a board search or read the information on the site then about 90% of those questions are answered.

#197293 - 07/19/05 11:13 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I DO post on the diet board, but I have to echo what others have said. I definitely don't read all posts any more though, as I once did. There are definitely lots of questions that have been discussed millions of times or are quite simply, answered on the site. And yeah I only answer questions I can - I'm IBS-D and I never get C.

I have to say that I try to answer as much as I can but it does get increasingly frustrating. Remember that guy who was on the boards who was really hostile to everyone a few months ago (volatile etc...)? Well I agreed to let him start emailing me. And now, after about a month of what he calls really trying the diet, he's fed up and giving up. "He can't be expected to eat this restrictive..." so he's looking for other answers, like colon cleanses and online quizzes telling him he doesn't have IBS but candida (despite the fact that he's been tested for it). BUT his idea of really trying the diet includes red meat, beer and dairy now and then. I find this soooo frustrating and unfortunately it's something I've been seeing more and more on the diet boards. Like I said, I try to help all I can but it can be really frustrating to see the same questions over and over again and to be not giving the diet a chance and then complaining etc... It's like, I don't like the treatment so I'll pretend that ice cream and hamburgers aren't bothering me and that I must have something else other than IBS.

OK, OK, rant over. I'm really sorry if you've been feeling neglected or frustrated, Cyndy!

#197305 - 07/19/05 11:43 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I don't answer too much on that board because I am pretty new here and don't know what to say that will help people. What I do do is read the old posts. I am back about 350 pages and am finding a lot of information that way. I am back about a year and a half so I know I will be busy for a while to come.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

#197309 - 07/19/05 11:53 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Cyndy,

I always take a look at the IBS Diet Board when I get time. Since I started back to work I don't have as much time as I used to.

I usually respond to questions about something that I went through or a med that I took or a symptom that I had. For instance, I'm a "D" so any questions about "C" I would skip. If it doesn't pertain then I don't answer or if I noticed that someone else gave a very good answer...the same thing that I would say anyway... I don't answer.

I have been feeling pretty good lately with only a few flareups, mainly caused by stress, and I feel very fortunate. I learned a lot from these boards. BUT, I also found when I was at my worst the Living Room helped me almost as much as the IBS Diet Board. I was able to chat with people that had similar problems and even have a little fun and it certainly helped me take my mind off my tummy.....and, believe it or not that helped me very much. Everyone is so supportive.

I will forever be grateful that I stumbled upon this site.

Good luck and I hope you get some answers to help you.

Barbie

--------------------

#197311 - 07/19/05 11:54 AM
chinagrl

Wow Carol. We might have to make you board historian if you've read all of that!!

Linz, I think you are the most faithful, patient moderator on that board! new
      #197312 - 07/19/05 11:54 AM
bamagirl

I can't imagine how frustrating it must get at times! You are so right though, folks don't seem to understand that Don't Eat Triggers means...Don't Eat Triggers! You are my hero!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#197315 - 07/19/05 12:00 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I didn't say that I retained all that I read. My memory is like a seive. Going to the G.I. today and have made a list of questions because I always forget when I get there.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

#197330 - 07/19/05 12:41 PM
gregory wayne

Reged: 02/27/04
Loc: MEMPHIS, Tennessee

not all are as in need of info as maybe myself or maybe you. I don't have a picture but I want to get one posted. Here is Memphis I get very little understanding let alone support. Also gender barriers are there for a man who communicates as well as 25% of the great female communicators. 25 times more than with men! take care all you guys

I'm not even a moderator! new
      #197341 - 07/19/05 12:59 PM
Linz

But thanks!

#197345 - 07/19/05 01:02 PM
michele

Always nice to see more men on the boards!!

--------------------

Well, you should be! new
      #197346 - 07/19/05 01:02 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Linz, you always have great advice and are always around! Even though it doesn't say it on the forum description (which it should IMO), I consider you one anyway. Just so you know.

Re: Your not??? new
      #197348 - 07/19/05 01:03 PM
michele

I thought you were too!!! You do a great job answering some of the more tideous questions that a lot of us skip over!

--------------------

#197355 - 07/19/05 01:19 PM
gregory wayne

it is true for me reread heather's 1st year book and follow it true. all i will post in I feel good compared to before.

Re: I'm not having a bad experience new
      #197356 - 07/19/05 01:23 PM
gregory wayne

it is okay. At one time I was so frustated I went POSTAL 10 times a day. this kinda stuff some or most are not real good. you seem to be and I have noticed a couple of others.

Re: This is my point new
      #197360 - 07/19/05 01:27 PM
gregory wayne

again in time, you could add someone to you address book. I can almost quote HEATHER and would love to help anyone.

I did not know this!!! You just went up another notch in my book!! new
      #197361 - 07/19/05 01:27 PM
bamagirl

You truly answer some very tedious posts. COOL!! Linz, you are an asset to the board!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Pictures... new
      #197368 - 07/19/05 01:31 PM
Linz

...I've been converted to photobucket.com myself, but otherwise Casey is the resident picture-pixie so if you send her a photo, she'll post it for you.

Aw thanks! new
      #197370 - 07/19/05 01:34 PM
Linz

See, people like you make it worthwhile. And being able to really help sometimes is so cool. I just saw that Cheryl (cjc) who was so desperate she was considering surgery has now been stable for two weeks after we fixed her diet! That kind of thing makes the frustration worthwhile for me.

Wish I could help people for a living...but then at least helping plants they can't argue!

Re: I agree with you 100% but........ new
      #197457 - 07/19/05 05:29 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

doesn't it give you something to look forward too? I mean we all went through the "other" boards and finally got stable by simply learning and taking others advice. You will get to that point too someday and then you will be able to come to this board and just talk about the weather or whatever. We still talk about our "bad IBS days" on this board too so it's not like we only talk about the magazines we read and who's dating who eh hem Tommy and Tina!!!!!

I try to answer the questions that I can when one is posted on this board pertaining to IBS but like Casey said, I'm D too and a lot are C so we can not give any advice on that (unfortunately)

For me and maybe a lot of people do have different eating habits. I learned basically myself how to cope and learned to eat what I should and stay away from the things that trigger my IBS. I did not purchase one thing from Heather and that's not because I don't want too, it's just that I felt for myself that I didn't need to. Her products have worked wonders for a lot so I know they do work, it's just that I managed to get stable on my own and from the wonderful people and posts from this site.

I hope you understand by all our posts the reason we are on this board. We have become a "family" and the ones who repeatedly keep staying around appreciate and got to know one another very well. It's not that we are deliberately ignoring the other boards. It's just we have become comfortable on this one and like to chat about other things than IBS.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Linz, I hereby dub you... new
      #197510 - 07/19/05 07:52 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

an honorary moderator! I thought you were one too! You help all of us so much and put so much thought and time into answering so many hurting people.

What a gem you are....and such a big heart!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: It's beginning to give me a headache new
      #197520 - 07/19/05 08:24 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I'm just finding the diet board to be tiresome and redundant and that anything I say is pretty pointless or useless. That board, while "informative" is beginning to give me a headache and I feel like an idiot when I post on it. You're right: the lv is where the REAL people hang out, where life beyond the mechanics, the exteriors and the hyper-technicalities takes place. You all have such character and personality and depth and warmth and courage and attitude. I respect and admire you all for your candour and your HUMANITY. I think I'll hang out here more often instead of on the outside fences.

Kate, IBS-d.

Cyndy new
      #197524 - 07/19/05 08:33 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

It's funny when I first started cruising the boards is seem that most of the folks on the other boards had "D" and now the folks on the boards are predominantly "C".

A while back there was someone on the boards that pretty well wore everyone out..asking question after question and seemingly getting angry at the very people that were trying to help. It was a very frustrating time for all of us who hang out on the boards regularly.

You will see that the folks on the boards are kind people with good hearts...funny as can be. We share all kinds of stories from fertility issues...babies...prayer requests and our latest BM or lack thereof .

I know I was fed up with the high maintenance person, quit checking the EFI board to keep myself from getting irritated and never really went back.

Join us here...you'll have lots of fun.

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

My Reasons... new
      #197554 - 07/19/05 11:47 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi Cyndy,

First off, I wanted to say that I do agree with you - the idea that people who are stable should help people who are not is exactly what I think this board is designed to do. I will be the first one to admit that I don't go over there as often as I should, and I am willing to admit that I really should. I am not stable, but I do know that there are questions I could probably try and answer.
I do have reasons, though, that my name doesn't pop up there like it used to..

1) Like everyone else said, the questions are so heavily covered that if they would read almost anything before posting, they would know the answer already. If this were my full time job, I will still answer. Unfortunately, a lot of us have other full time jobs and everything and just don't have enough time to, like someone else said, answer questions like, "Can I eat ice cream?" and stuff.

2) I have had A LOT going on in my own personal life lately, and I have found it really exhausting. I will devote more time to it once I am feeling better myself.

3) A couple of months ago, and if you look back you will see this, I was responding to posts on the IBS board left right and center. I wrote several really lengthy responses that had a lot of information that was easily accessible at various other areas in the site.
Then I ran into something that bothered me even more - People who were in best cases completely unresponsive, and in worse cases people who were rude and disrespectful. I want to help as much as the next person, but I won't allow something that I NEED as a support system right now to make me feel worse than when I log in.

That being said, I do feel that we could all probably give more than we do in all aspects of life and I have felt guilty for a while that I have chosen not to visit the EFI board for a while. I will do so soon, and I will try to answer as many questions as I can.
I am an IBS-D though, and I have noticed a huge swarm of IBS-C posts which I will not respond to because I just don't know.

Thanks for asking, you do raise a good point. No feathers ruffled on my end.

--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

ok, maybe I am thinking of this way more than I need to but . . . new
      #197565 - 07/20/05 02:10 AM
Janey

We all come here for support and comfort. Some of us are stable and we chose to hang in the LR because we need support in other areas of our lives. I don't think that we should feel guilty for seeking the help and support that we need just because it is in the LR and not on the diet board.

--------------------
Janey

Reality Check new
      #197596 - 07/20/05 06:23 AM
Sand

I took a look at the posts for the last 7 days as of about 2:30pm EDT (US) on Tuesday, July 19, 2005.

There were 2575 total posts for that period. They break down like this:

Crohn's Disease and Colitis Board...................14
Eating for IBS Diet Board...............................736
Hypnosis for Irritable Bowel Syndrome..............20
IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board.........................212
IBS Recipe Exchange....................................110
Let's Get Together!..........................................11
The Living Room.........................................1,467
Yoga for IBS & Digestive Health.........................5
Irritable Bowel Syndrome Research Library..........0

There were 187 different posters across all Boards in this period.

There were 84 different posters in the Living Room during this period. Thirty (30) of these posters posted in the Living Room and not on the Eating Board. Those 30 break down like this:

20 posted only in the Living Room and on no other Board
4 posted in the Llving Room and the Recipe Board
4 posted in the Living Room and the Fitness Board
2 posted in the Living Room and the Get Together Board

There were 136 different posters on the Eating Board during this period. This means the average number of posts per poster on the Eating Board was about 5-1/2 (736/136). However, there were 12 posters on the Eating Board who had 10 or more posts. These 12 posters accounted for 318 of the 736 posts, or 50%.

And in a slightly different type of reality check, the Living Room does not exist in a vacuum. I don't post here, but I scan the list of topics from time to time and read interesting ones. I daresay some of the new posters - and some auditors who had been considering becoming new posters - do the same.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: As someone who checks EVERY post in the EFI forum... new
      #197598 - 07/20/05 06:28 AM
Sand

Linz, I know you're in the trenches every day and I think you're great. I seem to remember your saying in an earlier post that you stick around to give back to the Boards and I admire that a lot.

If you're in danger of burning out, stressing out, or making yourself sick, though, please consider cutting back a little. Let one of the 186 other posters carry a little of the weight for a while.

--------------------

Wow, look at the statitician! new
      #197600 - 07/20/05 06:30 AM
Linz

It's ALOT of posts. I typically check between 50-100 posts a day in the EFI forum so I guess that tallies. And if people object to me making short replies sometimes, this is why!

Ah, remember the days when this place was quiet?

Reading old posts new
      #197601 - 07/20/05 06:32 AM
Sand

I'm so glad to hear you're reading old posts. I did the same thing during a period of insomnia several months ago. I started with the oldest, though, and worked my way forward. It was very interesting, very helpful, and - oddly - lots of fun. I keep thinking I should get back to it, but I never seem to make the time.

And what a great thing to suggest to new posters. Even just reading back over a week or a month of old posts would help give the flavor of how the Diet Board works - and how the diet works.

--------------------

Oh I do! new
      #197602 - 07/20/05 06:32 AM
Linz

Sometimes I just go awol.

But atm, Si is working ALL hours, I've been feeling cack so haven't been getting on with the DIY and Archie's not allowed much exercise. Plus I don't talk to anyone when I'm working. So if it wasn't for this place, I'd probably go insane. When I have more time and energy, I have GOT to make some friends round here.

PS. AWOL alert! new
      #197603 - 07/20/05 06:34 AM
Linz

I just remembered that I'm working on the Isle of Wight for a week from 07/30 and won't have as much time to post. And then I'm going on holiday in Scotland for a week. So you'd better start limbering up those finger muscles!

Better subject lines new
      #197605 - 07/20/05 06:38 AM
Sand

Quote:

People on the Eating board really need to make use of the subject line when posting their questions. If it just says "what do I eat" or "question about fiber" I probably will skip it. If it says "Is cracked wheat okay?" then I'll probably look in and answer. Nobody is going to open every single thread, so the subject headings have to indicate that this is a question that has not been dealt with before. Otherwise, as you can see, none of us will read it.

I think this is a great suggestion and would like to see it on the Diet Board, either as a post or incorporated into one of the "new poster" sticky posts.

--------------------

Who could forget him? new
      #197607 - 07/20/05 06:42 AM
Sand

Oh, yes, I remember he whose name(s) should not be mentioned. I've wondered from time to time if anyone volunteered to help him and how it turned out. It's kind of interesting to hear the end of the story and I definitely think you deserve a medal (or a straightjacket!) for volunteering. I am sorry it didn't seem to help. It sounds like the same pigheadedness that made him so admirably determined to demand help made him less admirably unwilling to accept it.

That said, I really don't think that there has been anyone on the Boards since then who comes anywhere near him in terms of volume, repetitiveness, ingratitude, or thickheadedness.

--------------------

to that end... new
      #197608 - 07/20/05 06:43 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

I work from home so my world is somewhat narrow during the work day and the LR is a funplace to socialize with others..it being a social topic-unspecific board.

It's funny...every month I get excited with Michele about a possible pregnancy...celebrated with Cara and others about their pregnancy...prayed for Shelbi, BL and others...commiserated with Stephie on all of her dental stuff-ouch.

It is as if I know many of the folks in the LR personally and I take joy in peeking into the window of their lives and hope that somehow my silly stories may bring a smile to ones face.

So I suppose my coming to the LR has more to do with friends and the fun relationships in here than it does IBS.

Cyndy...this was a great discussion and I think it caused many of us to think about the "why".

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Real people new
      #197609 - 07/20/05 06:45 AM
Sand

Ah, and here I was beginning to hope that someday I'd get to be a real girl. All my hope crushed.

--------------------

Yep... new
      #197612 - 07/20/05 06:50 AM
chinagrl

Like I said in an email, though posting on the Diet board is a good thing to do, it is not an obligation anyone bears. Nobody here is paid to do so. I appreciate what you pointed out Sand, and I will keep that in consideration, but as for some recent posts- I don't think it's appropriate for non-moderators to be criticizing people for what they choose to do in their free time, on a voluntary message board. I know Cyndy was just making a request, and like I said, I'll keep that in mind, but I don't think anyone should feel guilty- particularly with people who are having a really tough time in their own lives and should be focusing on feeling mentally well or happy or getting pregnant or getting over their colds or holes in their heads, and not worrying about the Diet board just now.

But they don't read them anyway... new
      #197618 - 07/20/05 07:10 AM
Linz

...and that's part of the problem. There's so much info available from those sticky posts.

Okay, a little confused new
      #197620 - 07/20/05 07:13 AM
Sand

I'm not quite sure how I ended up in here since this seems to be a response to something someone else said. I certainly don't think that anyone should feel guilty for not posting on the Diet Board. Actually, I kind of hope that only people who want to post there - or anywhere - do so.

--------------------

Re: But they don't read them anyway... new
      #197621 - 07/20/05 07:15 AM
Sand

Hmm, I though AmandaPanda was suggesting the posters looking for help put better subject lines in their own posts, so responders could better find the ones they felt capable of responding to. (And, no, people don't seem to read the sticky posts.)

--------------------

Oh, I was referring to... new
      #197623 - 07/20/05 07:18 AM
Linz

...your suggestion of putting Panda's suggestion in a new poster sticky post!

Ah, got you. This is getting awfully confusing. -nt- new
      #197628 - 07/20/05 07:33 AM
Sand

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 215 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 30757

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review