All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Advice needed from dog owners...
      #196846 - 07/18/05 01:12 PM
karyash

Reged: 04/11/05
Loc: Fargo, ND

Hi everyone. I rarely post here, but I do read everyday. I am wondering how to know if getting a dog is the right decision for my family. Is it something you have to try to know for sure? I am a single mom, I work full time and have 3 kids (ages 9,7 & 4). The kids have wanted a dog for a long time and the older girls would be able to help with it. Anyways, an acquaintance of mine has an 18 month old puppy that she has to get rid of (moving into an apartment that doesn't allow dogs). I would like to do keep it, but I am nervous that I wouldn't have enough time for it or that I would get stressed out over all the extra work and cause my IBS-D to flare up. The good things are that the dog is house trained, neutered, and has all its shots. Is it a lot of extra work? Does the love they add to the family make up for that? Please help!

Kristi

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Advice needed from dog owners... new
      #196851 - 07/18/05 01:18 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I think it also depends on the type of dog you're talking about. Large dogs require much more room than smaller dogs and there are certain breeds that require lots of open space outside to run around.

Alot of smaller dogs are lower maintenance in that way but then you get some smaller breeds that require special grooming, etc.

I would still say a smaller dog is easier to take care of than a larger dog.

Make sure you can afford it as well because if the little guy gets sick you want to be sure you can afford the vet bills that might come up.

Other than that....enjoy!! A dog adds so much to a family and is a great companion if you can dedicate the time to it. Think about it and make sure you're ready to committ before you take on the responsibility because it's not fair to the little puppy if you take him home and then decide to get rid of him down the road.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do!!

#196859 - 07/18/05 01:28 PM
karyash

Thanks Kimm! I am definitely going to give it some thought before I say yes. The dog is a Shih Tzu, so there would be some special grooming required. Thanks for your advice!

Kristi

Shitzu's new
      #196861 - 07/18/05 01:34 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

I have two shitzu-poodles and they are an absolute joy. They don't eat much and other than grooming the expenses are minimal. Grooming for a full shitzu will run you about $35.00 a trip (in Houston, TX) and you need to go every six weeks or so.

Call a groomer in your area and ask about Shitzu's or even run to a pet store and leaf through a book on shitzu's. I love my puppies...they are adorable.

My kids feed the puppies and wash them...keeping them brushes is where most of your work will be.

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

#196864 - 07/18/05 01:42 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

The only problem would be if the dog was going to be left on it's own all day long. I have a 9 month old pup and now work full time...but I come home every lunch, don't work long hours AND we're going to get another dog in the next 6 months to keep him company.

Other than that...walking shouldn't be too much of an issue with a dog like that (someone correct me if I'm wrong) - at least it won't need long runs regularly.

I think dogs are great tho! They're lovely to come home to and they make great friends.

#196866 - 07/18/05 01:46 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Do you have a fenced in yard?? I agree with Linz about keeping him alone all day long - that might be hard, because really he's still a puppy. I have 2 puppies - both about 12 months now, and they are a LOT of work, but so much fun at the same time.

They just have a lot of energy at this age, and need to be able to run/play/etc.
I bathe them about once every week or 2, I try to brush their teeth when I can, and clip their nails (taht's the worst part)...but that's about all the grooming!

I hope you don't mind shedding also - seems like I am constantly vacumming!

Dogs are so much fun, and I'm sure your kids would love it, but they are a lot of work, and sometimes can be expensive (if they get sick, etc).

Good luck!

--------------------
~Cara~

alone during the day new
      #196882 - 07/18/05 02:05 PM
karyash

That's what I'm worried about, the puppy being alone a lot. I work close to home, so I would be able to go home to let it out a few times a day, and I am also home for lunch every day. The current owners have it crate trained, so that is where it stays when they are at work. Is that a good thing? I know that once we got home after work, my daughters would love to play with it and take it for walks. Our yard is fenced, but I wouldn't want to leave the puppy outside all day when I'm not home. Thanks for your help!
Kristi

#196888 - 07/18/05 02:18 PM
jonesgirl

Reged: 10/03/04
Loc: Ohio

I totally agree with Poochibelly... I have my two shih-tzus who are the loves of our lives. They are definitely people dogs, though, and love attention, but ours do handle being alone for quite a few hours at times (pee pads might be needed, but get the ones for humans, they're less expensive than the ones for dogs!). The breed generally has a great disposition and a long lifespan(14-16 yrs average). Feed them good food (ours eat Iams), and yes, the grooming/brushing/eye care will keep you busy. We do lots of the grooming ourselves... hubby does the brushing, I do the trimming of their faces around their eyes, noses, and mouths. Our female is pretty aggressive, and does bite, but we have allowed her to get by with it... there are things we didn't know that we should have done when she was smaller. One thing I will say... this dog will be very sad to leave its family that has had it, so if you take it on, please try to commit to giving it a lifetime in your family, not a trial run. Maybe bring him over to visit with your kids for several hours a few times, see how it goes. They become attached very quickly. My male is a mommy's boy and my female is a daddy's girl. MAKE the children do the chores with the new member of the family... no buts about it. It will take the stress off of you, and quite honestly, dogs are a calming factor and offer complete unconditional love, so you may find that he/she helps you with your IBS, at least that it offers some sympathy... they are highly intuitive and know when you don't feel well. I do bathe the dogs about once a month unless it's been really rainy or snowy, then it's more often. We also have a problem of skin allergies, which require steroid shots, and over the counter benadryl. Both have the problem, but my boy is worse. I get them professionally groomed every 3-4 months, at about $30/dog. Their groomer is also their sitter if we go out of town or are away for the day, so they know her well... she's great with them. I can't bear boarding them... last time I did it I swore I'd not do it again, but might have to for at least one night, maybe 2 with our wedding coming up. I say that if you think you have the time, and can give it the attention and love it needs (it will undoubtedly find one family member, at least, that it wants to sleep with), go for it. They really don't eat much... one 4 lb bag of dry Iams maature adult formula lasts us for well over a month... more like 2, probably, even for both dogs and ours eat either Iams moist mixed w/the dry or some boiled ground turkey/chicken/or beef (cheaper and safe), but the dry is fine by itself if the dog is not too picky. My female LOVES veggies... any kind of them. Good luck... let us know what you decide. ~K~

#196890 - 07/18/05 02:20 PM
jonesgirl

Reged: 10/03/04
Loc: Ohio

Shih-tzus don't actually shed... they have "hair", not "fur", so the shedding is not really a problem. With the skin allergies, though, they tend to kick out "plugs" of the hair, but it cleans up easily. ~K~

Oh, interesting! new
      #196891 - 07/18/05 02:21 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

I didn't know that....that is a HUGE bonus! I can't stand the shedding, it's awful!

--------------------
~Cara~

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 312 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1570

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review