All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
A PERSONAL VICTORY
      #196186 - 07/15/05 03:28 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I need to celebrate something today. Circumstances forced me to drag my boney butt out to purchase an appropriate garment for a funeral.

No, the funeral is not something to celebrate--I do look at funerals as serious party's/rituals to formally send the deceased off in appropriate religious style. I just have mall phobia. No joke. I haven't even been to a Wal-Mart in at least 5 years!

Anyways, I did the nasty--i.e. shop for a "rag" to cover myself. I managed to find something in less than 6 minutes--I didn't have the patience to try it on, i.e. no available fitting rooms were open, so I just pulled it over my head and it did the trick! Note, I'm one of those closet raiders.

I did avoid the mall. I thought I'd hit a vintage shop.

But I SHOPPED FOR CLOTHES! I didn't pay someone to do it for me (I normally do this).

And guess what?

IT WAS FUN!!! Yes, stressful; but F.U.N.!!! (and funny, too). I think I shall attempt this again.

So, I came out of my closet only to INVADE another one, so to speak.

Thanks for listening babble, for lending me your eyes, briefly.
Kate/Wind.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Good for you!! new
      #196200 - 07/15/05 04:08 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

Can I ask---why you don't normally shop? And maybe you could someone pass that trait on to me who shops TOO much. I love clothes, and for some reason convince myself I'm a celebrity who can't wear the same outfit twice. I work in downtown Chicago---the Loop, shopping heaven, and I have to not go down certain streets on my day off because I will most certainly buy things, and pay no mind to the fact that I've spent over an hour trying things on. The last few weeks I've left stores without buying stuff and considered THAT a personal victory.

Luckily, there is an enormous public library 2 blocks from work, and I go there literally 3x a week. Cause I have to get out away from my cubicle, and it doesn't cost anything and I LOVE books more than clothes. I put myself on a "No clothes" ban this month. So far, so good. ( I did buy one pair of shoes, but I need them for 2 events this month and I convinced myself I didn't need the black ones too!)

--------------------

SUPER DUPER HAPPY DANCE GOING ON!!!!!!!!!! new
      #196201 - 07/15/05 04:11 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I'm soooooooooooo sorry someone died.

But I'm SOOOOO THRILLED you went shopping Kate!!!!!!!

Yahoooooooooooooooooooooo!

Love you!

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: A PERSONAL VICTORY new
      #196202 - 07/15/05 04:11 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Yay! Good for you!!

Re: Way to go Kate! new
      #196233 - 07/15/05 05:45 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

I can certainly relate to the pobia! (of course I don't have a phobia to shopping!!!! It's my favorite thing to do!)I do have one to driving by myself though long distances. I make my mom or my sister come to any appointments with me that are more than 20min drive.

I know your feeling of accomplishment though. Years ago I took some college classes at night and had to drive a distance. I HATED it cause I drove by myself. I had terrible anxiety doing it but each time I came home I did feel a bit of accomplishment each time.

Keep doing a little at a time and someday you'll be like me (a shopaholic). Just remember, we all have our phobias and some people may think it seems silly but others can totally relate!!!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: FEAR!!! new
      #196253 - 07/15/05 06:18 PM
Wind

Epa:

I have a really nasty case of G.A.D.--generalized local anxiety disorder. I'm so bad that I haven't even gone to Christmas dinner in years! However, I rose above it, today, to grab some clothes for a funeral tomorrow! I WISH I HAD YOUR PROBLEM. Maybe it's contagious? I don't have a problem getting lost in a book store, anymore--or the library! I'M ACHING TO RETURN TO SCHOOL!!! I can handle the grocery store during graveyard times! I'm a total agoraphobe. Anyways, the nasty is done.

I think, also, that the shopping phobia is related to low self esteem as well. Now...if I can just manage a trip to the salon for a little waxing and trimming! I think I treat myself like garbage by not paying more attention to vanity and style.

I love books more than clothes, too! Anyways, I managed to select a wrapper for this bod of mine.

Woohoo! new
      #196261 - 07/15/05 06:37 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

You go girl! Ok, I couldn't resist that, but seriously... congratulations on overcoming a personal hurdle!

PS - You shop like I do. I can loiter all day in a thrift store, but put me in the mall or Walmart and I do my business and get out as quickly as possible.

YOU GO GIRL! ~nt~ new
      #196290 - 07/15/05 07:30 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

I'm proud of you Kate new
      #196299 - 07/15/05 08:07 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I have the same shopping/crowds/mall phobia...I wonder how I can be a real girl. I would rather shop out of a catalog and get it delivered...but I have a hard to fit body.

So, I rely on hand me downs delivered to my door. Oh well, no money to shop anyhow.

That is awesome that you accomplished this...and even had fun! Kindred spirit thrives!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Oh, ok... new
      #196305 - 07/15/05 08:39 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

well, in that case I'm REALLY happy for you!! To be honest, I love buying clothes, but don't really like the shopping and find I can't stand crowds. Not to the point that you're at, of course, but when there are so many people around, constantly bumping into to you, racks of clothes that are squeezed so close together, waiting in line to check out---it almost makes me...angry? I never shop at the mall by my house---too crowded. And I go to the grocery store on off times on purpose.

But hey--you're making progress and that's a good thing. Honestly, our world is so chaotic I'm not surprised you have difficulty. It's so hard to find peace sometimes...

--------------------

I understand very well.... new
      #196319 - 07/15/05 10:49 PM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

That's awesome!! Congratulations and here's to continued success. Alyson

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

Re: Clueless re: style! new
      #196388 - 07/16/05 10:05 AM
Wind

Having not shopped for clothes, personally, I realize how "clueless" I am re: style and not to mention personal style. It's embarassing when everything in your closet looks uniform!
Now, I must contemplate style. I'm terrible for buying more than one of the same garment in the same colour--black or navy! Okay, even more than 2 and sometimes 3.

Confession: venturing out to vintage shops has excited my curiosity re: personal clothing selection and just HAVING FUN. I'm just surprised at how much FUN I had--the energy of fear is excitement and reinterpreting it (fear) as fun has made me think about doing it again and MORE OFTEN, just because (no groaning, I'm quoting Cybil Shepherd in a Revlon commercial), "I'M WORTH IT!"

Thanks,
Kate, IBS-D.

Re: A PERSONAL VICTORY new
      #196421 - 07/16/05 02:11 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Kate! I just got back from my trip and was THRILLED to hear about your latest accomplishment! WAHOOOOO!!!!!!! DOWN WITH GAD AND PANIC! I'm so happy for you! I'm going to have something lemony today in honor of you! (Guess what? I just ate at a China food restaurant today--no, not take out. We were there for almost an hour and I ate calmly and happily. I didn't even feel the urge to run. )

Re: Maria! Maria! Down with GAD new
      #196470 - 07/16/05 08:27 PM
Wind

Woooh hoo, to you too! You made it through dinner in a restaurant, AND NOT TAKE OUT!!! I'm happy for you too! Actually, I find Chinese food generally safer than anything else! That you didn't feel the urge to run is incredible. It's hard to just "park it" in a seat for awhile.

I think I'll enjoy something "limey" in honour of you!
Welcome back.

I agree about chinese food new
      #196534 - 07/17/05 08:48 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

I agree about chinese..

99% of the time I eat it all just fine. (and I eat it ALOT)

--------------------

Re: I agree about chinese food new
      #196609 - 07/17/05 05:05 PM
Wind

You can always get a bowl of plain steamed rice and TEA!!! Guaranteed safe! I love Asian restaurants. Now, I have to eat out more! Oh, are fortune cookies safe? I love those things!!!

fortune cookies are safe!! woohooo!! -nt- new
      #196648 - 07/17/05 08:49 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 371 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3095

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review