All Boards >> The Living Room

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Beagleover - How was your interview
      #19506 - 09/03/03 11:30 AM
Morven

Reged: 07/31/03
Loc: Scotland,UK

Just wondered how you got on with your interview! I have no idea of the time difference between us,its 7.30pm,here in UK,so you might be at it as i type! Sending you good luck thoughts.

--------------------
Morven

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

My interview new
      #19538 - 09/03/03 02:33 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

went really well! In fact, it couldn't have gone any better unless they asked me to be president of the company. Ha! Thanks for asking, Morven. You are so sweet to have been thinking about me.
The manager and I really hit it off. By the end of the hour, we were laughing and talking like old friends. She asked me some really tough questions (you know those weird ones that company headquarters gives them). I was really nervous, but tried to remember what my husband told me---"Just be yourself!" Aaahhh! Easier said than done!
I did hear her say that she thought we would work well together, since her weakness is my strength and vice versa. All of a sudden, she's talking about benefits, pay, bonuses, 401 K, stock options, vacation, and my eyes glazed over when I heard her say I would have a 20 percent discount at any Pier One store. There goes my paycheck! Ha!
The great part about it was she said the company will be opening 300 new stores in the near future, and that if I wanted to pursue it, the opportunity to manage a store would be there. She said there will be one of these stores near each Pier One soon, so even if I moved (Lord, help us!) in the future, that opportunity would still be there.
It was just so nice to be treated with respect. Sometimes I've wondered if my college degree and experience mean anything. I have gotten so discouraged lately while looking for a job. She said that although I don't have retail management experience that she would push her boss to give me the maximum pay for this position since I do have a lot of good experience. This is when I reached up to clean my ears out!!! She said anybody that could manage a classroom of elementary kids could surely manage a store and that she would be more than happy to train me.
I know that a lot of you have prayed for me, and I really appreciate it, because I truly felt the power of that prayer this afternoon. I really need to work (if nothing else than for therapy for me!), but with my son going off to college next year, this is perfect timing. And I know that's not just a coincidence.
I guess I am getting a little ahead of myself, because I haven't officially been offered the job. But she said she would get back with me as soon as she did the criminal and credit background checks. So as long as they don't find that I was a bank robber in my past life, I think I will have the job.

Re: My interview new
      #19541 - 09/03/03 02:51 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

That is so incredibly wonderful Beaglelover! You are so lucky to find a job with a company you already love. You will be a natural at selling (and maybe managing ) a store because you truly believe in the product and the company.

Most times when interviews go that well - you got it. I was in sales for a few years and learnt if you bond with someone good things are just implied.

Nonetheless I will keep all my fingers and toes crossed for you.

Do you know when you will find out for sure?

I am so excited for you!

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#19544 - 09/03/03 03:08 PM
BL

I'm not sure when I will find out. When I asked her when she would be needing someone to start, she said, "Yesterday."
I have to tell you the funniest thing. The first question she asked me was "What made you decide to apply for a position with this company?" I almost chuckled. I really couldn't tell her that I was running away at the time, and ended up sitting on the bench outside the store, sulking and depressed because I felt like I had no purpose in my life, and BANG, I looked up and saw the sign in the store front? Maybe later, if I get this job and I get to know her better, I will tell her that I'm there because my internet friends were praying really hard for me and God provided this opportunity!

#19546 - 09/03/03 03:19 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

LOL - Yah a brand new employer wouldn't really "chuck" along with you on that one LOL.

So what did you tell her instead....something along the line of "I love your product, I love your store, and I love you" Blah blah blah.....

Just remember....when all else fails kiss some serious hinney! LOL

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

That's what I did! Kissed some hinney----nt---! new
      #19547 - 09/03/03 03:38 PM
BL

Re: That's what I did! Kissed some hinney----nt---! new
      #19548 - 09/03/03 04:43 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

That is an awesome story!!! Good for you and those who say the power of prayer doesn't work are wrong.
I'm proud of you and hope you find out soon if you have the job.

Sending good thoughts your way! -nt- new
      #19552 - 09/03/03 05:01 PM
artist

Reged: 05/28/03

#19576 - 09/04/03 02:29 AM
Morven

Reged: 07/31/03
Loc: Scotland,UK

Thats fantastic! Am so glad it went well for you!
I worked in sales for years,and you sound like you were meant to work there.
I'm in the process of job hunting myself,and i'd love to know.....where do they get some of those interview questions!?!?!
Fingers crossed for you

--------------------
Morven

#19579 - 09/04/03 04:53 AM
BL

I don't know. In her case, she had a typed of about 30 questions that I'm sure came from the human resources department. She laughed and said, "Oh, I have to ask you at least a few of these questions!" They were the usual:
Why did you decide to apply here?
What would your ideal working environment be like?
What do you expect from your manager?
What would your last employer say was your best quality?
In your last position, think of a challenge that you encountered. How did you meet this challenge?
What would you expect a work day to be like?
What about this job appeals to you?
Why do you think you'd be the best person for this job?
What would you like to be doing in 6 months? A year?

Those are the questions I remember! Hope this helps. And good luck to you in your job search.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3242 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3545

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review