All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
HELL of a morning.....
      #194538 - 07/12/05 09:32 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I had an appt at the hospital near my house this morning. I went straight from home and was even able to sleep in a bit. I got there and after searching for 10 mins how to get to the 7th floor get to the info desk.

"Where is room 7401" I get a blank stare and then the guy opens his eyes wide and says "Do you think you're at the General Hospital?" Yes I said.

Long story short, I went to the WRONG hospital and called the right office to tell them what happened. THANKFULLY they agreed to see me even though I was over an hour late. (opposite end of town!) When I got there I needed my green hospital card. I didn't have it with me so I had to go register. Aggghhhhh.... The secretary for my doc called down to give them all my info so it was ready when I got there. VERY NICE!!!

So I got it and the angel of a doctor (neurologist) saw me RIGHT AWAY even though he had a dozen patients waiting. I think he felt sorry for me.

Agggghhhhh, I got to work way later then I was supposed to and completely missed out staff meeting.

Is is 5pm yet????

I'm ok but they can't do anything about my insomnia. I am stuck with it. That S-U-C-K-S!!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: HELL of a morning..... new
      #194541 - 07/12/05 09:35 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

*HUGS* It sucks they can't do anything for your insomnia, but that's awesome that the doc/doc's office was so understanding!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#194542 - 07/12/05 09:37 AM
Sara-Sage

I'm so glad. He could have been a huge jerk and made me reschedule. He is very laid back and said the he juggled a few patients around to fit me in. How sweet!!!!

I am a bit of a freak though in my insomnia issue so maybe I challenge him? I was born with it which is VERY rare. Most people have it because of health problems or psychological problems. Not me.

#194543 - 07/12/05 09:40 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Yikes.....that totally sucks!! At least you got it all over with though. It'll be 5 before you know it!! Hang in there....

#194545 - 07/12/05 09:42 AM
Sara-Sage

Yes it is over with. I even held in my tears of frustration, barely, but I did....

#194550 - 07/12/05 09:49 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Totally sounds like days I've had too honey. Thank goodness everyone was nice to ya. Hope they can figure out something so you can sleep.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Shell new
      #194551 - 07/12/05 09:50 AM
Sara-Sage

Oh yes, we all have days like this. And then being nice is probably what helped me not burst into tears.

The doc said to make myself very tired so I can sleep more soundly. I will have to start exercising eevry night or something. Does all your exercise help you and Shane sleep better?

Re: Shell new
      #194558 - 07/12/05 09:58 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Yes, we both sleep very well....BUT we are done working out by 8pm at the lastest (we have a burst of energy) then we are able to sleep well by 11pm..much before that and we are still in our burst zone...LOL

Have you tried reading? That always makes me tired..... try it in bed with a booklight only...

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#194564 - 07/12/05 10:05 AM
Sara-Sage

I joined a gym one year to help me sleep. It didn't, I found that I had so much energy that sleep was the last thing I wanted to do.

I will try reading. Great suggestion!

Now THAT is a bad morning! I'm so sorry!! new
      #194582 - 07/12/05 10:42 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Don't feel too bad, I've done this before, too. There are like 6 hospitals in our area and I did NOT make it to the appt I was headed to! They were kidn to see you. Sorry they can't help you though...

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#194589 - 07/12/05 10:52 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Yeah you have to be really careful not to exercise near bedtime...that always gives me insomnia. Could you work out before work or at lunch instead?

#194593 - 07/12/05 10:58 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I'm impressed you didn't have a meltdown and start crying, I'm sure I would have!

Thats awful though that they can't help you. Have you been to a sleep clinic? If the regular exercise didn't help you sleep, try swimming! I also have sleep problems, I take Ambien which really helps but I know the nights I go to my water aerobics class, I do sleep better!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#194595 - 07/12/05 11:02 AM
Sara-Sage

Before work=no, I ahve trouble dragging myslf out of bed as it is. At lunch=maybe!

#194596 - 07/12/05 11:03 AM
Sara-Sage

I'm impressed too! Thanks.

Yes, I had a sleep study done through my neurologist.

Swimming! There's an idea!!!!!! Thanks.

#194612 - 07/12/05 11:52 AM
michele

For some reason, working out in the pool makes me more tired than working out on land. Not sure if its the warmth of the pool or the extra resistance or what, but give it a try!

--------------------

Oh, wow! new
      #194618 - 07/12/05 12:04 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Tina, you got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning! That sounds like something I would do.

At least they were accommodating to you ---when you did show up. They could've cancelled your appointment and told you to come back another time.

Hope the rest of the day is better for you! And sorry that you don't have any answers for (or relief from) your insomnia.

Re: Oh, wow! new
      #194623 - 07/12/05 12:17 PM
Sara-Sage

Yes, it was like that this morning. I didn't mention my aprking garage drama either!

They were VERY good to still see me. I am impressed! I emailed the doc directly last week though (to ask about my MRI results) so maybe he made an exception because he knew my name because he recognized it from my email?

I was hoping they would have a magic pill for me. Nope, sleep meds apparently don't work for cases like mine.

#194624 - 07/12/05 12:18 PM
Sara-Sage

I just printed out the swim schedule for a pool near me. My bosses boss saw it and he recommened another place to swim. he he

#194627 - 07/12/05 12:37 PM
michele

See if they have a water aerobics class! Our Y offers both a shallow and a deep water class. You don't need to necessarily know how to swim or anything and get a comfy, one piece suit. The chlorine in the pools will fade your suit very quickly so just get a cheap one for working out until you know you will stick with it. Then they have some suits that are chlorine resistant and gaurenteed for like a year!

--------------------

#194639 - 07/12/05 12:53 PM
Sara-Sage

I will def consider this. I also want to lose the extra 5-7 lbs that I have somehow gained in the last 2 months so this exercise will help!

Thanks so much! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

So sorry you had to go through this! Question.... new
      #194654 - 07/12/05 01:08 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

When you have time, I'm curious about your insomnia. You said this appointment with the neurologist was about insomnia, right?

Reason I ask, is that my husband suffers from a hellish form of insomnia taking him through days and sometimes a whole week with extremely little sleep! He has a physical/chronic health problem that is aggravated by the insomnia, and I am wondering where do you start treating something like that?

I have talked till I'm blue in the face about him going to the doctor specifically about the insomnia, but we have a lot of major health issues already between him and my son that are pressing right now. Perhaps that is why he dismisses it so easily. However, I'd appreciate any help/advice you might offer. You can email me if you'd rather not post it all here....kimfurd@hotmail.com.

Thanks!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Butting in.... new
      #194660 - 07/12/05 01:13 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I want to add that I exercise usually 5 times a week, done during the work week by 7 or so. In time to eat healthy (easier to do after exercising!), and have energy to get things done at home. And it definitely helps me sleep. (When my husband isn't writhing and moaning in his sleep, that is.)

Have you tried the IBS Hypnosis cds? Maybe it's missing the point, but those things help me sleep BIG time. I usually wake up in the morning with my headphones still on!

--------------------

What helped me sleep... new
      #194696 - 07/12/05 01:39 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I have been so anxious with flashbacks, etc. the only thing that has given me a good night's sleep was melatonin. More helpful than Ambien, amatryptaline, or anything else I've been given for sleep (better than valerian as well!) You get a nice warm feeling and gently fall alseep. I took it last night for the 1st time. Only trouble is I am still groggy from it...but I slept throught the night for the 1st time in WEEKS!

I took it in bed about 20 mins before i wanted to fall asleep per the directions.

I dcan't imagine being born with insomnia...yikes!

I'm glad the doc was so nice. That happened to me with a gyno. and they rescheduled me for DAYS later! I was NOt happy and found another doc to see. I needed my BC pills and I was going to end up wthout any...which would have made my emotions HAYWIRE! Thank G-d my doc in FL called in a script for me that day!

Love Ya Tina *hugs*

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Gotta try that! new
      #194757 - 07/12/05 02:42 PM
Linz

Thanks for the tip. Valerian and hops helps but can't hit the proper insomnia and my stoopid doc won't give me anything. I NEED something strong for Fibro flares.

Melatonin...beware... new
      #194796 - 07/12/05 04:38 PM
Snow for Sarala

I slept most of the day away! If you DO take this stuff...don't satrt at 3mg lik me (Hubby and I fought at the store..they had a 1mg or a 3mg tablet. I thought 1mg wqould be good to start and experiment with...but he felt I needed the strongest thing out there...oh my!) I would start at 1mg. Make sure it is a night you can sleep for at least 9 hours if needed. And if you Do get groggy the next day...that's normal...just not so much so that you sleep the day away. It's kind of like some of the AD's...until you get used to em they make you groggy.

It does say on the bottle to consult with a physician if you have a depressive disorder. And I do not think it is for long term use. It is supposed to give you enough melatonin to REGULATE sleep patterns. Just some things to think about...

Sending you a restufl sleep! *hugs*

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Be extra careful new
      #194840 - 07/12/05 05:47 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Just because something is over-the-counter or an herb doesn't mean it can't cause side effects! And sometimes the side effects can be very serious.

I speak from experience. Like a stupid person, I once decided to discontinue an AD I was on to take St. John's Wort instead.
I felt great the first couple of weeks, but then I was flying high! It put me in a manic stage (I couldn't sleep at all and was going 90 mph.) That's because I had bipolar disorder, which, at the time, I was not aware I had.

Yes, these things can alter your body chemisty---and mess you up big time. Please use precautions---or better yet, speak to your doctor about them first. I wish I had!

If you're otherwise healthy it could really help.... new
      #194844 - 07/12/05 05:51 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Just to offer a different side of this issue, melatonin is so safe that we've used it with our son. His autism would keep him awake all night long. Melatonin a half hour before bed time was a GOD-SEND to us and helped us avoid stronger meds for him. In a few months we decreased the dose by half, then by half again, then he didn't need it at ALL anymore, his body had regulated itself and "knew when to go to sleep".

So, it can be really good. But not with other meds or anything, wouldn't suggest that with ANYTHING.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Ick.. hope your day got better! -nt- new
      #194894 - 07/12/05 08:23 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: Be extra careful new
      #194903 - 07/12/05 10:12 PM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks for the warning BL!!! You're right! i am very fortunate nothing bad happened to me. i still don't have a diagnosis and this could have been bad news.

I am so glad I have you *big huge hugs*

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: If you're otherwise healthy it could really help.... new
      #194904 - 07/12/05 10:14 PM
Snow for Sarala

Michelle...I just rad in my Nutritional Healing book tonight about Autism and melatonin and how effective it is! But it DOES say on the label not to use if you have a depressive disorder...but I ignored it BL is right...at least for me...I have to be careful!

I think for most people it's wonderful. I'm glad it is so helpful for Luke

Sending you love,

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Rats! new
      #194926 - 07/13/05 12:08 AM
Linz

I daren't take that then. I'm on the edge of getting depressed again as it is. And I've been having lots of anxiety issues which isn't normal for me when I'm on my a-d's.

I WOULD ask my doc's advice but she's hopeless (yah, I'm gonna change when I have some time to think!). She doesn't really "get" Fibro so doesn't seem to understand that it's not just normal mild insomnia...yes, she actually gave me a list that told me ground breaking things like "don't drink caffeinated drinks before bed". Uh, DUH! Like that helps.

Re: Rats! new
      #194981 - 07/13/05 06:19 AM
Snow for Sarala

Can you call a pharmacist? They are usually pretty about this sort of thing...I find they know at least as much as the docs I see...often more! just a thought...
I feel for you...hadn't slepot in WEEKS AND WEEKS and I finally slept! Didn't take t last night and it took me AGES to fall asleep and I know it was restless when I did *sigh* I can't wait for a clean diagnosis so I know what's wrong, what to expect, and what to do about it!!!

Love,
Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Here's my story... new
      #194985 - 07/13/05 06:28 AM
Sara-Sage

Kim,

I will post it here incase anyone else wants to know the answer.

I had a sleep study done at a Sleep Clinic where I was hooked up to a million electrode to monitor my every move, breath, heart beat, muscle twitch, etc. They also watched me from a camera above the bed. I slept there all night while they monotiored me and watched my results come in through the various monitors. It wasn't fun but was painless.

I got the results back and the study indicated that I don't reach stages 3 and 4 of deep sleep so that it why I a NEVER refreshed when waking up. I saty in stage 2 (light sleep) and am mostly in REM sleep wichi is dream sleep and not restortaive/refreshing sleep.

So I met with a neurologist to go over my results. He told me it wasn't pyschological as I am already on an anti-depressant and it wasn't medical. He said there must have been a trama at birth or that when my cells came together when I was being devloped, something went a tad wrong and that part didn't develop properly.

The MRI that I had revealed nothing to answer any quetions about how to help my insomnia. I was told sleep aids wouldn't work (and they don't). So I'm out of luck.

But tell your hubbie to see the doctor and request an overnight sleep study. He could have sleep apnea, restless leg syndrome or just plain olf insomnia. It CAN be treated in most circumstances.

Let me know what happens, Kim!

Tina

Re: Butting in.... new
      #194987 - 07/13/05 06:30 AM
Sara-Sage

The hypnosis tapes? Hmmmmm.... never even considered that!

Might consider it....

Thanks.

Re: What helped me sleep... new
      #194989 - 07/13/05 06:33 AM
Sara-Sage

Sis!

I have looked at malatonin. I chose Valerian over it but maybe I will go try malatonin. I am up for anything, really.

How are you doing this week?

Re: Melatonin...beware... new
      #194990 - 07/13/05 06:35 AM
Sara-Sage

..........that's why I didn't buy it! because the folks at the health food store said it didn't mix with Celexa! So I decided not to risk it..........

Yes, you should! new
      #194991 - 07/13/05 06:40 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I'm not sure I've ever actually listened to the end of any of the sessions!! Even one night, it was midnight, I was trying to sleep when some idiot kids from our neighborhood started messing with us, taped a rock to our picture window, hid by a tree and pulled the string to make it sound like it was knocking our window. Morons! Anyway, I went back to bed severely agitated, thinking I'd never get back to sleep, but I put in the cd, put the headphones on, and poof! I was out!

--------------------

Re: Yes, you should! new
      #195017 - 07/13/05 07:03 AM
Sara-Sage

I remember you posting about those kids.

Really? It put you back to sleep!? That's IMPRESSIVE!

Thanks for this! new
      #195037 - 07/13/05 07:46 AM
bamagirl

I have suggested this in the past, but will keep doing so. Like I mentioned earlier, this year we have had two other major health issues brewing that make DH hesitant to add anything else to the list. BUT, it is getting much worse, and I can't imagine it is good for anyone's health, because we all feel the effect.

Thanks for sharing this, and I will continue to gently prod hubby to see if we can't get this resolved. I sure hope you can find relief too!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Sorry to hear this TIna.... new
      #195042 - 07/13/05 07:54 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Can you get a second opinion. I can't believe there isn't anything they can do for you!! That is horrible! I fall apart if I don't get sleep, I can only imagine how you feel with no deep sleep ever.

Sending prayers your way.

Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

Re: Sorry to hear this TIna.... new
      #195048 - 07/13/05 08:12 AM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

Yes, it is pretty remarkable when you think about it. Think about going to high school and college without ever getting a good night's sleep (Finals all-nighter's don't count). Tina is very intelligent and quite a remarkable gal. I am not sure if I would be without a true night's sleep!

--------------------

#195051 - 07/13/05 08:24 AM
Sara-Sage

Thanks Tommy. He says that because my neurologist was amazed that I finsihed high school and collge with this disorder. Hey, no choice. But that's why I am ALWAYS late in the morning and why I'm not a morning person. Tommy can attest to that!

#195052 - 07/13/05 08:26 AM
Sara-Sage

Yes maybe I could but there's either (a) drug therapy, (b) sleep deprivation or (c) tire myself out (I will try that again).

I'm used to it although I would LOVE to wake up and jump out of bed ready to afce the day. What's that like?

Re: Thanks for this! new
      #195054 - 07/13/05 08:28 AM
Sara-Sage

Not sleeping is not good, health-wise. Your immune system is lower and you aren't as strong as you should be. Plus it can cause forgetfulness, irritablity, etc. There are side effects to not sleeping. I'm sure you both already know that though!

#195067 - 07/13/05 08:46 AM
bamagirl

Oh yeah! Grouchiness, foggy thinking you name it! Thing is, with him up and rambling around all night, I eventually get awakened and then it's like I have insomnia too. And all of us here know what lack of sleep does to IBS. Aside from stress, lack of sleep is my second biggest trigger!

Thanks again! I'm going to keep working on this. Actually, DH is the one with the chronic health problem, and lowered immunity causes him to get repeating pneumonias due to a lung condition. He has already had two rounds of antibiotics in six weeks! So you'd think he'd be willing to get the sleep problem looked into....I'm just going to have to be patient and prod gently.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#195070 - 07/13/05 08:52 AM
Sara-Sage

Is he afraid of getting it looked at or afraid of doctors?

And yes, I'm sure it will keep you up too. It doesn't always affect my IBS, I've had this for so long, way before my ibs.

Hang in there...

#195080 - 07/13/05 09:03 AM
bamagirl

Not afraid of getting it looked at, but afraid of the added expense. We're pretty maxed out on prescription meds between him and my son....drug bill way beyond $700/month. Not easy.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#195121 - 07/13/05 10:18 AM
Sara-Sage

Oh well yes, that is perfectly understandable!

Can you get that in writing? new
      #195132 - 07/13/05 10:26 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

For your boss so she will get off your back! Or at least tell her so she knows you weren't being late out of laziness but that you have a medical problem. Maybe then she will give you a break.

Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to share this! new
      #195149 - 07/13/05 10:43 AM
bamagirl

We just have an unusual amount of medical stuff going on right now! And I am convinced the prices of this medicine is highway robbery!!! It is NUTS what they charge just for some antibiotics!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: Can you get that in writing? new
      #195161 - 07/13/05 11:06 AM
Sara-Sage

I probably could, yes. But it's very personal and it's like admitting a weakness and I don't want to do that.

Re: Again, I appreciate you taking the time to share this! new
      #195162 - 07/13/05 11:07 AM
Sara-Sage

I'm sorry. Canada's medical system is different and we don't pay for medical expenses and many of us have coverage for prescriptions. It must be so hard.

Melatonin, Swimsuits & hypnosis new
      #198703 - 07/22/05 06:25 PM
funDiva Christy

Reged: 07/09/05
Loc: Fabulous Las Vegas Nevada

I know I'm a few days late here but wanted to let ya know I use melatonin verry sparsly and I was able to find it in a 3 MICROgram (mcg) dose (normal is 3 MILLIgram - MG) and even that I split in half sometimes

My chiro told me they had it in these really small doses for people who are sensitive like me. Last time I was miserably sick I took ONE NyQuil caplet and slept 16 hours! That was about 3 years ago and I will never be that desperate to sleep again! LOL

And I swim lots and got one of the polyester suits cuz my other ones were literally shedding their elastic on me and I love it. It doesn't have the stretch that lycra does so its tight getting in & out but once on its faboo.
my polyester swim suit

And I will second or third the IBS Hypnosis putting me OUT. I was concerned I wouldn't benefit and the sleep alone is totally worth the price.

Sleep tight!
Christy

--------------------
There's a word for people who think everyone is conspiring against them. I know, perceptive.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 97 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7956

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review