All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Michelle, have you seen the new Newsweek?
      #19422 - 09/02/03 07:49 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I got my new issue (Sept. 8) of Newsweek today and the cover story is on kids with autism. I thought about you since it mentions Asperger's syndrome.
"People with Asperger's are like saltwater fish forced to live in fresh water. We're fine if you put us into the right environment. But when the person and the environment don't match, we seem disabled," it said a patient once told his doctor. The article is based on a Cambridge University psychologist's new thesis that autism is just an exaggerated version of the male profile, an extreme fondness for rule-based systems, coupled with an inability to intuit people's feelings and intentions.
According to this article, if this doctor is right then autism is not just a disease in need of a cure. It's a mental style that people can learn to accommodate. Sometimes it's even a gift, the article says.
Thought you might be interested in reading this, if you haven't already.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Michelle, have you seen the new Newsweek? new
      #19438 - 09/03/03 03:52 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

No, but I heard there was an article in there - thanks for the tip! I'll pick it up.

Got a little out of Luke this morning, he wants to go to his old school. The talk with his teacher was okay but he was worse than I thought yesterday. I pray today is better.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Praying that Luke has a much better day! --nt-- new
      #19440 - 09/03/03 04:55 AM
BL

Re: Michelle, have you seen the new Newsweek? new
      #19487 - 09/03/03 10:29 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

They had the link to it on MSN homepage yestureday. I almost copied the link. Sorry I didn't.

I just checked and here is the link. newsweek

Re: Some improvement... new
      #19498 - 09/03/03 11:12 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Thanks for listening guys. Today was MUCH better for Luke, they gave him a one on one for the whole day, the music teacher who hasn't started her classes yet. But that can't continue so there are still plenty of unanswered questions. He is much happier and calmer today, though, so that makes me feel better. Still unsure whether this placement is going to stick, though, and that's a lot to process because I don't like any of the other options. Well, can't jump to any conclusions yet, we'll see what tomorrow brings and keep praying!

I had my first IBS attack in months today, in Michael's, poor Aaron and Sarah were in the shopping cart just sitting there in the bathroom with me FOREVER... it was one of those bad ones where I thought I'd throw up or pass out, just so miserable. It finally passed and now I'm "laying low", CAN'T be a coincidence with all this uproar over Luke's school, definitely stress induced.

Again, thanks for listening, if the kids nap I may, too!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#19503 - 09/03/03 11:19 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I am glad to hear things are getting a little better for you and Luke. It will take time and it is good that you are saying you will not jump to conclusions. Although it is alot easier said than done. I have a problem with always thinking of the "What Ifs" Which really don't help anyone. You are being very smart!

It must be something in that Michael's that makes us run for the bathroom. Everytime I go there I am running. This whole thing with Luke has finally caught up with your tummy. I hope you are able to nap and start to feel better.

It is so wonderful to see how much you love your children Michelle. You are such a wonderful mother. They are so lucky to have you.

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#19537 - 09/03/03 02:17 PM
BL

I'm so glad that Luke had a better day, but sorry that you had a bad IBS attack. I was wondering how all of this stress was affecting your tummy! Hopefully, things will settle down soon, for him and you.
Speaking of tummy distress, did anyone see Regis and Kelly today? Kelly started describing a recent bout with food poisoning. She got very graphic with the details of her D, and then Regis piped in and told how he got so sick at a banquet and had to keep running to the bathroom. He said he wouldn't go to the bathroom closeby because he didn't want everyone to hear him when he EXPLODED, so he hurried to the one upstairs. He said no sooner had he sat back down in his seat that he felt his tummy rumbling again, and this time he took advantage of the bathroom nearby. He said, "Here I was dying in the bathroom and my friends were just talking away!" As an IBS-sufferer, I could totally relate to what they were saying; however, I was wondering how the rest of the tv audience was taking this graphic talk of their explosions!!! I wondered how many viewers turned the channel!

#19543 - 09/03/03 02:55 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

BL:

LOL - I happened to catch that this morning too. I watch Regis and Kelly every morning while I am getting ready for work. I always get to listen to the first half hour.

At one point Regis asked the audience how they were feeling after the topic and they all whooped and clapped? Who knows. I thought it was too funny. Those two crack me up. I love them.

We can totally relate too - can't we.

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 503 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2098

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review