All Boards >> The Living Room

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Another newbie on the board
      #19404 - 09/02/03 05:56 PM
Radar

Reged: 09/02/03

Hi all, I've just found this site (and board) and am so glad to have a reliable resource for my IBS concerns!

I was diagnosed in January of this year but on looking back I realize that I've had mild-to-moderate IBS off and on for years (usually exacerbated by stress, lack of sleep, and bad eating habits - yes, it's Holiday IBS!) Anyway, when I found out what it was, I started doing some online research but found mostly sketchy information that was all contradictory... I guess at the time this site wasn't "found" on Google! Needless to say it's been a rough few months, but now I'm starting to get a handle on things - the Metamucil "cookies" are a real blessing and I'm doing pretty well at avoiding beef and dairy.

The upside is that my overall health is improving - I'm eating soy ice cream and pudding, which helps with protein (I'm into weightlifting, so protein is GOOD). I'm cutting out a lot of fat / fried stuff, and eating more veggies (which I don't like, but I'm trying new recipes and that helps).

Sorry, this is getting long-winded... anyway, "HI" everyone and I do have something useful to share - MAGIC BAGS! Yes, the cloth sack full of grain that you microwave for a couple of minutes... whenever I get an attack, I slap one of those on my lower abdomen and one on my lower back... by the time the bags cool, the muscle cramps are very much lessened. That and ibuprofen when I get fever along with the cramps, etc. I've done a bit of yoga as well and am going to start a weekly class soon to improve my technique, so I'm optimistic about that.

Thanks for the resource, Heather, and I look forward to words of wisdom and encouragement from (and for) all!

Best,

Radar

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Another newbie on the board new
      #19470 - 09/03/03 09:49 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Welcome to the boards Radar!

Looks like we were diagnosed around the same time. Sounds like you pretty much know the ins-n-outs of the diet.

I think I am alot like you in having Holiday IBS - LOL. How true!!

Anyways - glad to have you around....I am sure you will really grow to enjoy it hear.

Warm Welcome,

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Hey fellow newbie! new
      #19607 - 09/04/03 09:10 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I'm new to the site too, but doesn't it look great!

Re. your magic bags - my Mum got me something similar and one of the best things about it (compared to my hot water bottle!) is that it smells lovely when its hot, all oats and lavender, great for when I need to relax!

Fever new
      #19612 - 09/04/03 09:50 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi - first of all welcome to the boards!

Second,
Quote:

That and ibuprofen when I get fever along with the cramps, etc.

That kind of concerned me. Fevers are not a symptom of IBS. Do you get fevers with your attacks?

Re: Fever new
      #19622 - 09/04/03 10:26 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I get feverish when I get an IBS attack too - I sometimes also get a bad case of the shivers. I hadn't realised that this isn't a common symptom. I take parecetomol for the fever (and the cramps).

#19624 - 09/04/03 10:30 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hey Radar! Welcome to the board!!!

You may want to re-post this at the Eating for IBS Diet forum...you'll probably get more responses there! The Living Room was created for fun chatting mainly outside of the IBS illness realm. Hope this helps!

I agree with Mags...these are not common symptoms to my knowledge! (Fever, chills, etc.). Hope you feel better soon, take care!

-<3-
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#19641 - 09/04/03 01:49 PM
Morven

Reged: 07/31/03
Loc: Scotland,UK

Hi and welcome to the boards!

The boards are a great source of support and information,and are also very addictive,but great fun!

Happy posting!

--------------------
Morven

Re: Hey fellow newbie! new
      #19643 - 09/04/03 01:55 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Hi, Radar!
Welcome! I want to know where you get these "magic bags"? Sounds like something I could use.

Re: Hey fellow newbie! new
      #19644 - 09/04/03 01:56 PM
Morven

Reged: 07/31/03
Loc: Scotland,UK

Hi Linz,

Welcome aboard the boards!! I see you are a fellow Brit,whereabouts in England are you?! Have recently moved back home to bonnie Scotland from Purley,Surrey,how expensive are the houses there!!!

Happy posting!

--------------------
Morven

Re: Fever new
      #19658 - 09/04/03 03:46 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Actually, Heather always says this is a red flag and you should be tested for IBD, because fevers are not a symptom of IBS.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 440 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2902

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review