All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Re: What if I'm already crabby? (Ha ha!) new
      #194793 - 07/12/05 04:22 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Yep, it's the career goals for me. My advisor waited until she was 36 and had already been a DEAN before she had her (1) kid. She keeps urging the same on me. She'll be pissed when I tell her I'm pregnant, and frankly, I'm scared of her. But it will be worth it.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Darn our parents.... new
      #194815 - 07/12/05 05:10 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

for encouraging us to go to school and have goals!! Compare our generation to our parents and that's where the big difference is. We'll be older than our parents were when they had us, for sure. Maybe wiser though? Maybe not. More money though, for sure. I guess for that we should be grateful.
It's SO hard because it seems like there is so much opportunity out there to be had....but you gotta choose at some point, and I guess we've already decided...kids!! But I plan to work part time so I can keep my career going to.

--------------------

Whoa, epa ginger! new
      #194832 - 07/12/05 05:31 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

An hour in the morning before you get going? You gotta be kidding! When you're a parent, you don't even get a few minutes. Once that little one is up, you're up! It's worse than boot camp.

If you don't, they'll get into something in the house (like scissors, vegetable oil (mine did this!), or the dog's food.)

If you hesitate, they might drag a chair up to the kitchen cabinets, try to get their own glass, and fall (my friend's first child did this!)

Heck, if you leave them in their room to play, they might get stuck in their baby doll's Lil Tikes high chair (another friend's daughter did this. Had to call the fire dept. to get her out.)

Nope! No shut eye for you for YEARS!!!

Now you know why new mothers can't wait to go back to work. It's so much easier being at work than at home all day with an infant/toddler.

At work, you get to go to the bathroom all by yourself. You get to eat lunch sitting down. You get to wear nice clothes (with no spit on it). You get to finish an entire sentence without being interrupted.

We need to get you some baby training!!! Can you borrow a neighbor's baby to see what in the heck this will be like? And I don't mean for just a few minutes. I mean overnight. You gotta see if you can get up and fix the little one breakfast---at 5 a.m.

And yes, at some point, you gotta talk to them in the morning!

I can just see you lying in bed, the toddler pulling on your hand hanging off the bed---and you raising your head and saying, "Hey! Can you give me an hour please?"

Re: Whoa, epa ginger! new
      #194865 - 07/12/05 06:45 PM
epa_ginger

Well, my husband has a brother and sister who are 9 and 11, I've known them their whole lives, and held them and babysat them and all that. So I know what babies are like. I guess I should have said I can't handle "adult" conversation for an hour or so. I just can't sound very intelligent. And this is when i get up at 5:30 am for work. If I get up later, like around 7, it's better. (I think my brain sleeps until 7 even if my body gets up at 5:30)!!!

--------------------

Re: Whoa, epa ginger! new
      #194868 - 07/12/05 07:16 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

You should do fine with baby talk early in the morning, especially if you're used to getting up at 5:30 already.

And babies, you can just cuddle with them (while you're feeding them, of course.) They don't care if you talk to them.

Ahh, I'd love to have a baby to hold --someone else's, of course!

Re: Darn our parents.... new
      #194880 - 07/12/05 07:45 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Actually I'll be about the same age... both my parents and my husband's parents waited a fair bit to have kids. His mom was 26 and my mom was 27! And I'm not sorry about it. I know this might not make me popular, but I would be a terrible stay at home mom. I love my job, and my research, and teaching, and I would hate to give that up. My husband is much more nurturing than me, and he'll be able to work from home a fair bit- if he could he'd be a stay at home dad. I don't want to try and make myself be someone I'm not because of what society thinks. My parents both worked and I came out fine. I don't resent either of them, I never did drugs, I'm getting a PhD, etc. Heck, my grandmas both worked and my parents came out fine. I don't plan on neglecting my kids, but I also don't plan on giving up my job either.

Do what works!! new
      #194900 - 07/12/05 09:25 PM
epa_ginger

My parents both worked too, and I turned out fine too!! (I think!). My husband's family is very different--his dad owns a small company (VERY small), and his mom is a stay at home mom to his two younger siblings. They are FIRMLY against moms who work. But my husband isn't, luckily. We both agreed it should be part time. I know I don't want to stop completely.
There are really no set rules to how things have to work, each family is different. What matters is that you both agree!

--------------------

What if I'm already tired? new
      #194927 - 07/13/05 12:13 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I'm so scared that I won't be able to "do" having kids properly. On one hand, my logical brain thinks that maybe I shouldn't have kids in case I can't look after them properly. On the other hand, my biological clock thingy wants to run in there and race my fears.

I think... new
      #195001 - 07/13/05 06:50 AM
epa_ginger

that there are probably a lot of women/men or families out there dealing with harder issues, and doing just a fine job of parenting. Hardly anyone's situation is perfect, and the important thing is WANTING to do a good job, and making it your priority. I mean, I wonder sometimes about celebrities, who are perfectly healthy with tons of free time and TONS of money, who still have nannies and such just because they want to go play by themselves. Or want their arms free while their walking. But when you're trying to be a good parents, and giving all you can, but still need a little help every now and then, I think that's ok. especially if your husband is on board!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 381 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 22719

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review