All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Does anyone else's pet do querky stuff?
      #193207 - 07/08/05 08:47 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Or is it just mine? I swear, my dog (Piper) cracks me up. I was just sitting here and she just walked up to me and smacked me with her butt! LOL She does this all the time and I have no idea where the heck she got it from. Sometimes if you're sitting on the couch or something, she'll just come up and start doing it, sometimes even 2-3 times in a row. She also does it to the door when she wants in. It reminds me of that old dance, I think it was called The Bump, where you stand next to someone and bump hips.

Well, just wondering if I was the only one with a goofy pet!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Does anyone else's pet do querky stuff? new
      #193212 - 07/08/05 09:12 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

My dog used to do that when she had an itch and wanted us to scratch her.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

#193214 - 07/08/05 09:18 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Growing up, we had a dog that would lie down on the carpet floor, stretch her body as long as she possibly could and pull herself along. It was really cute, but very odd! Of course, she also thought it was pretty funny to pass gas (really smelly gas) in front of my male friends! D'oh!!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#193215 - 07/08/05 09:20 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

My cat, Gracie, sleeps on her back! She's the only cat I've ever had (or Mac's ever had) that does that. She start off asleep like a normal cat, and while she's asleep she'll roll onto her back, with her paws in the air, and stay that way, even after she wakes up sometimes.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#193216 - 07/08/05 09:26 AM
babymom

Reged: 02/24/05

I have 3 cats who are full of personality- I have a cat, Ernie, who actually begs for attention- He hits me with his paw and meows until he gets rubbed or a back scratch!! I have another, Oscar, who loves to drag blankets when we are not home. Every day when I come home from work my daughter knows it is her chore to clean up the blankets and clothes that he drags all over the house!! Don't know what I woud do without them!!

#193218 - 07/08/05 09:30 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

My animals do all sorts of strange things. My dog Cara does headstands, she bulldozes into you and then inverts herself so she's standing on her head. I could not tell you why!!

#193228 - 07/08/05 09:57 AM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

I have a cat that talks to our house plants. She's 1/4 siamese and they tend to be talkers - she defenetly has that gene! She'll literally sit down in front of either the fig tree or the ammorillus and start all sorts of meoows and squeeks and clicks and carry on for about ten minutes or so, pausing every so often like she's waiting for the plant to respond! Hubby and I get a kick out of it! She also carries her toys around in her mouth like a dog and hides them in corners of the house to retrieve them later. Her sister is much more normal - but like someone else mentioned, begs for attention. She'll also reach up and pat you on the leg if you don't pet her when she's sitting at your feet!
Both so cute and loveable!!

#193233 - 07/08/05 10:11 AM
babymom

I love it- talking to plants- you should send that to a funniest video show!!

#193246 - 07/08/05 11:05 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

I have a lap dog and an 85 lb dog. We had the little dog first so the big dog thinks it's a lap dog too. So if anyone sits on the floor the big dog will walk up and turn around and back her butt up and sit in the person's lap. First time visitors are usually taken by surprise. It is hysterical!!

However, in the mornings she tries to sit on my head while I am sleeping. This is not so funny! (At least not to me, my DH and daughters get a kick out of it! )

Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

#193254 - 07/08/05 11:15 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Lacey has a couple funny querks. Her biggest one is that she will sometimes throw all her body weight into me when she lays down next to me - like she's trying to snuggle as close as possible. It's pretty cute.

Oh, and another crazy thing she does when she's winding down after playing is that she'll run fast, like something's trying to get her, and jump up on the washing machine with a loud thud. She'll then peer around the wall into my room from the washing machine to see if the toy is still after her.

Other quirks include running into the kitchen when she hears a can opener (which is funny because I've never fed her tuna.. must have been previous owners) and following me around the apartment, talking the whole time.

--------------------
- Jennifer

giant lap dogs... new
      #193259 - 07/08/05 11:27 AM
chinagrl

I'm not sure that it's because you had the little dog first... my dogs think they're lap dogs and they both weigh 60 pounds. They've never been around smaller dogs, they just think that being in our laps is a very good idea.

I have an entire houseful of neurotic pets new
      #193267 - 07/08/05 11:53 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Phoebe (big cat) insists on sleeping under the comforter - but on top of the sheets/other blankets - all day, even in the middle of summer with the sun beating down on her. She also likes to stick her nose in people's mouths - preferably if you have the stinkiest breath possible - and breathe deeply. LOL!

Phaedra (little cat), instead of running up stairs like most cats will, actually takes each step the way a human would (except on all fours, of course!). She also likes to hook her nails into things above her - like the next step up, or the next shelf on the cat-tree - and pull herself up by her front legs.

They also have bizarre dietary habits. Phoebe loves her starches - bread, Honeycomb cereal, pasta. Phaedra prefers Twizzlers, salsa, peas, and refried beans.

The rats always flip their house upside down, and if they're eating, they have to be as far away from each other as possible - and they make a huge production out of it, scuffling around and throwing shavings as they go.

Even the fish is nutty. He likes to lay down at the bottom of the tank, perfectly still, like he's dead, and stare at me. I haven't had a lot of fish, but the few I've had have never done anything like that.

Adam says I have a knack for picking out the weird ones, haha.

Cats and food new
      #193271 - 07/08/05 11:59 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

One of my parents cats used to eat cantelope (and pretty much anything else if you left it on the kitchen table unattended)

Gracie likes coconut milk, bananas, peach ice tea, and tuna, of course. She likes to sit on my roommate's desk and put her paw in whatever my roomie's drinking and then like it off her paw.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Boy do I have a story!! new
      #193341 - 07/08/05 01:41 PM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

I was an hour late to work last week b/c of one of my crazy pets. I live in the country but right along a major highway. We currently have 5 cats and 2 kittens that live outside. I got in my car to go to work one day last week and was about 1/4 mile down the road when I happened to look in the rearview mirror and saw Puma, the kitten, fall out of my car (he was in the engine, a normal thing for outside cats to do unfortunately) onto the highway. The jeep behind me just barely missed hitting him but Puma managed to run to the side of the road. The guy in the jeep and I both stopped and spent 10 minutes chasing Puma around the ditch trying to catch him. He was so scared that he kept running from us. We finally caught him and I put him in my car and was going to take him home. When I got home I could hear him crying but couldn't find him anywhere. I finally came to the conclusion that he had crawled into the console of my car and I couldn't get to him. I didn't want to drive my car to work and have Puma stuck in there all day b/c it's so stinkin' hot here (90 + humidity). To make a long story short, I ended up calling my fiance who was already at work so that I could get his truck to go to work so that I could leave my car at home in the driveway with the doors wide open in the hopes that Puma would jump out once he realized that things had calmed down. To make the story even funnier, Tim, my fiance stopped at home at lunch time to see if Puma had left the car and to close my doors if he had. Puma and Red (the other kitten) were sleeping in the backseat! How cute, huh?! When Tim tried to shooh them out, Red jumped out but Puma went back into the console. So, my car sat with all the doors wide open for the entire day but in the end Puma came out, only had a skinned up nose from the whole thing, and now we have a funny story to tell.

Can anyone top that story?!!

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

#193344 - 07/08/05 01:49 PM
RachelT

Our 1 1/2 year old Calico (who btw weighs 14 lbs) has what we call the "9:30 power hour" every night. She knows that it's close to the time where we all go to bed and so she figures she may as well get all of her pent up energy out all at once. She runs around the apartment like a freak and tries to play with everything she can possibly get her little paws onto... paper, the other cat, junk out of the garbage in the bathroom, her toys, jewelry, etc.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Re: Boy do I have a story!! new
      #193346 - 07/08/05 01:52 PM
RachelT

That's a cute story!! Not sure if I have anything to top it!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Haha! new
      #193375 - 07/08/05 03:37 PM
atomic rose

My cats are terrified of bananas - literally! If you peel one and hold it out to them, they look startled and run from the room!

A friend of mine claims that all cats like melon. I'm not a melon-eater, so I haven't tested this theory out. Nice to know mine aren't the only weirdos, though!

Cats and melon... new
      #193406 - 07/08/05 04:08 PM
chinagrl

My cat has never been interested in any melons... my guinea pig LOVES melon though. He adores cantelope and watermelon. It's funny when he eats watermelon though, he's white and black, and the juice runs down the white fur by his mouth so he looks like a vampire guinea pig!!!

Re: Boy do I have a story!! new
      #193439 - 07/08/05 04:55 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Me neither. Tho I went to a pet store where they advertised electric collars for "hard to train" pets. And on the cover was a husky!! LOL!

I just taught him hand commands, which always wow our guests. Tee heee.

~nelly~

My son told me this one this week... new
      #193469 - 07/08/05 07:08 PM
Alyson McG

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: Vancouver Washington (IBS-A, but D prominant)

Last Friday he went to spend 6 days on an island in the middle of the Columbia River(a place they always camp and can only get to by boat)with his dad and several of his dad's friends. Everyone with boats got their Friday. On Sunday one of the friends went to pick up one of his friends and bring him over to the island. On the way to the island the friend he picked up asked him why he had a cat on his boat. It was his own cat! Apparently the cat had been sleeping somewhere in the boat when he pulled the boat out of the garage and left on Friday. Two days it had stayed in the boat with no one seeing it while they waterskiied and played....that poor cat.... they always do tons of fireworks every night they are out there. Poor, poor kitty...

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

#193517 - 07/08/05 10:04 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

One of our cats plays fetch, just like a dog! She prefers a ball of rolled-up wrappers (like Hershey's Kisses), but will also play fetch with the jingley cat balls.

The other cat has this strange nervous tic where every time she scratches herself, her tongue darts out in time with the scratching. It is hysterical and mildly disturbing to watch.

Both cats also like to sneak up to the head of the bed and sleep on my head, which I HATE. If they can't get away with that, they'll try to curl up under my armpit. One of the cats always wants to sleep half on something, no matter how uncomfortable -- i.e. if there is a book on the sofa, she'll go curl up so that half of her upper body is resting on the book. We are still mystified by that one!

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#193533 - 07/09/05 02:16 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

My yellow lab has to grab her ball or bone everytime we come home. She has to greet us at the door with something in her mouth. She also loves empty toilet paper rolls. She will sneak into the bathroom and snatch the empty roll out of the trash can. She is so funny and I often wonder how she knows it is there. It isn't like we wouldn't give it to her to play with but I guess part of the fun is to sneak it out of the trash. If we stay up later than normal she will sit on the landing of the stairs going up to our room and sigh until we go to bed.

I have two cats, the older one Miss Kitty love sweets and whenever I am eating cookies or sweet bread she will jump in my lap and be very pushy until I give her a bite.

My other kitty Gypsy, is so funny when she lays down she will jump up next to me and just flop down instead of laying gracefully like most cats do. She also has to have a little spell of playing with our feet right before we go to bed. If she is at the top of the bed she will leap in the air to get to our feet. Very funny!

--------------------
Janey

Bananas? LOL new
      #193550 - 07/09/05 05:21 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Quote:

My cats are terrified of bananas - literally! If you peel one and hold it out to them, they look startled and run from the room!

Oh, that one literally had me LOL! That is too funny! It must not be easy for them living in an IBS household with all those bananas around all the time!

If you can stand another one... new
      #193572 - 07/09/05 08:05 AM
Alyson McG

A cat I had, several years ago, was labled "the barbie thief". She would constantly steal my daughters' barbie shoes and accessories and hide them under the stove. I finally saw her do it one time and went to retrieve the shoe and was amazed at what I found under the stove, and not just barbie stuff! There were so many things under there, she must have been "thieving" a while. My poor girls had been blaming each other for some of the missing stuff. Silly cat! Never could break her of that. We just knew to check the stove if we were missing anything.:)

--------------------
Everything in life happens for a reason, patience will eventually tell us what that is......

always.. lets see... new
      #193610 - 07/09/05 10:46 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

Bill's ex roomates bred borzois and their dogs all thought they were lapdogs...

my sisters cat and my old cat both walked on leashes...

and my one cat would get behind someone on the couch and clean their hair he also had to be near you when you were sick looking at your face... ( I think to know if you were still breathing).

And of course now we have sugar gliders.. who like to groom in their tunnel... and are just sweet as can be.. but very intelligent and climb all over everything and have already decided my bra is a good spot to go to sleep...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

My mom has one that licks hair... new
      #193614 - 07/09/05 10:56 AM
Alyson McG

My mom's cat has always liked my hair for some reason. Now that it is long and mostly one length, it's more difficult for him. Now, keep in mind, I've been going through this with him for a long time...he's 16! I remember the first time I took my husband over, Roscoe initiated him right away. My DH had never been much of a cat person, at least not until he joined my family(doesn't have much of a choice), the look of shock on his face was priceless! I think he was a little afraid of losing even more hair. He's used to it now, and it's actually quite adorable. Not only does he get his hair restyled when we visit my mom, Roscoe litterally rubs his entire body all over his head, leaning in and giving DH huge hugs and love! Gotta love cats! They are the best...:)

--------------------

#193652 - 07/09/05 01:21 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

This is a fun thread to read.

Our Parakeet likes to play on top of her cage. I bought a jungle gym for her and fits on top of the cage. She does summersaults, hangs upside on the bar, but the funniest thing is she pushes toys off her cage and watches it fall to the floor. She likes to play this game for 10-15 miunutes.

Oh Yeah.... new
      #193653 - 07/09/05 01:24 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

we had a parakeet when I was younger. My parents taught him to talk and he talked quite well. One of her favorite phases was, Watch Jasper (our cat), he is up to no good".

Our pastor and his wife came over for lunch one day and God was mentioned at the table. Out of the blue our bird said, "Watch God, he is up to no good". Needless to say my parents were quite embrassed, but everyone had a good laugh.

All the more opportunity to terrorize them! -nt- new
      #193696 - 07/09/05 05:42 PM
atomic rose

Re: Oh Yeah.... new
      #193700 - 07/09/05 06:21 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

Parakeets are great~ we had one when I was young, and the first thing it learned was "Dam*it, Boopers! Don't bite!" because my mom would hold him up to her mouth to teach him and he would bite her lips! Very hard! So he would shout that as loud as he could, all the time!

They always pick up on the strangest things! My birds now don't talk at all, but they make a clucking sound like a chicken ... LoL

--------------------
~*Amber*~

Speaking of weird pets..... new
      #194071 - 07/11/05 08:05 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

One of my beagles is sound asleep on the floor behind me, and all of sudden, his tail starts wagging. Thump, thump, thump on the side of the wall....and he just keeps sleeping away!

What is he doing? Chasing squirrels in his sleep? Dreaming? Smiling in his sleep?

Sometimes, when my little beagle sleeps, her little front paws will move like she's running in her sleep. And she lets out the tiniest little "boofs" (teeny barks!)

It's so weird.

Re: Cats and food new
      #194091 - 07/11/05 08:36 AM
babymom

Oh, I love it- my cat Oscar loves the drink thing too- he also like popcorn!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 704 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4450

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review