All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Conversely... new
      #192641 - 07/07/05 07:34 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

My parents lead me to believe we were always one loaf of bread from the gutter, if you had any debt you were doomed, and that if you took student loans Satan came and collected you on graduation day. I grew up convinced that if my mother bought me some clothes for back-to-school I would suffer for it later. Now they have a lot more money and want to buy me things, but I don't trust them and I can't talk about money with them. They say they were teaching me the value of money, but I say there has to be somewhere in between the two extremes.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

pants... new
      #192643 - 07/07/05 07:36 AM
chinagrl

I have an addiction to pants (trousers for you brits) from Express. They're expensive, but they fit SO well. I've worn my seersucker pants just about every day this summer... so I figure they were worth the expense!!

Re: Conversely... new
      #192644 - 07/07/05 07:36 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

OHMIGOSH!! This is my DH's parents too - and DH - it annoys the heck out of me!! I always tell him - you are only as rich as you feel. You act like you're dirt poor and you will be.

Feel ok with your finances and you will be. I hate that feeling. DH thinks it makes it so I don't spend as much - but honestly I hardly spend anything so I don't know what he's trying to prove!!! LOL

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Re: Conversely... new
      #192650 - 07/07/05 07:41 AM
chinagrl

Yeah, I try not to act too much like this, or take it out on my husband. Unfortunately he was raised by parents who didn't teach him to save at all (they have NO retirement savings) so we do fight about money. We try to balance our two sides, we don't always do the best job, but I try to enjoy the money we have, not panic, and remember how blessed we are that Eric has a great job.

Re: pants... new
      #192653 - 07/07/05 07:43 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

haha very very true!

I love seven jeans.. or citizens of humanity.

I thought old jeans were comfy.. but I tried those on and its like wearing sweats that make your butt look very good!!

I figure you wear jeans at least a few times a week so I might as well get ones I love.

but I know about the express pants.. I love them too! I buy the editor fit and they fit like a glove.

I figure if its quality do it up. I'd rather spend 100 on quality, than three pairs from target that rip, tatter, or shrink three inches in length for the same price. (I know from experience.. when I tried to be thrifty.)

--------------------

#192654 - 07/07/05 07:45 AM
chinagrl

Amen. And I do try to be around Express during sales... I bought 2 pairs of cords I had wanted (previously $50) for $10 each. I'll have to try those jeans... I have some Gap jeans that are pretty good, and I had been getting Express, but it's hard to find a pair that fits right when you have a small waist and big hips!

#192657 - 07/07/05 07:52 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

bloomingdales.. nordtroms..saks.. and little boutiques sell the jeans.

I have friends that go to to stores just to try them on and pretend they could afford them haha. (amandapanda wears them all the time too!)

*disclaimer* they run from 125-175 so try not to fall in love too fast, because I swear I count down to when I can afford to buy another pair.

I do at least buy at the cheaper end of the sevens spectrum though.

as for express.. I'm the same.. I try to wait until the sales go down to 29.95 etc. I also do wear express jeans.. EXCEPT.. my fashionista sister informed me that if you have a flat or barely existant butt you shouldn't wear express jeans.. because the pockets are so small.. so they don't flatter girls without bubble butts. haha now whenever she sees me in express jeans (yes I do love her haha) she's always like ASHLEY!!! Those pockets are too small for your booty. haha.

now when I look at my butt in the mirror, I totally get what she's saying.

--------------------

#192660 - 07/07/05 07:56 AM
chinagrl

Hmm... I suspect I do have a bubble butt. Have you tried buying any off of eBay? I often buy clothes I wanted that cost too much in the store new with tags cheap on eBay.

Alicia, well said new
      #192662 - 07/07/05 07:58 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

That's exactly what I meant. I don't mean to say we shouldn't have and enjoy nice things. But handing young people EVERYTHING ---without regard to how much it cost---is doing them a huge disservice.

Life is about choices. No one can the BEST OF EVERYTHING. These parents never tell their kids "NO." They don't know the meaning of the word.

I will give you an example. A lot of the teens were wanting to go on this summer trip. The cost was $800, and they had plenty of opportunity to earn the money to go. We told our son we would pay half if he paid the remainder. He did not live up to his part of the agreement, so we told him he would NOT be going.

The other parents have been griping about having to fork out the $800 for the trip ----when these kids are going off to college in a month and tuition is due.

I asked them why they didn't just they tell their child "No." They said, "Oh, we couldn't do that! EVERYONE else is letting their child go."

Don't they see that they're part of the problem? Tell the child "NO!" It's not going to damage the child to stay home for a week.

By the way, I have to chuckle at how it's all turned out. Our son was given the opportunity to help 2 families move this week (and make $300 a day)----in addition to his other part-time job.

He's now delighted that he didn't go on the trip!!!

This strikes home with me too.... new
      #192663 - 07/07/05 07:59 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

My children feel like "there's nothing to be happy about" when they get around their cousins who have much more than they do. Granted, my kids are only 10 and 11, but since when are kids that age entitled to tv's in their bedroom, 2 handheld game, in-car movies, 3 game systems at home, weeks at a time away from home at various camps ect...these will be the same kids as teens who have the cars, ect...

My opinion is, that things - all things lose value when kids are raised this way. I know a couple in their 30's who though they had to begin married life at the same status (style of living) it took their parents a lifetime to achieve. They have lost several homes trying to "have it all" and have been a huge financial burden on their parents.

I know we live in a country of vast wealth, but it seems to me that somewhere along the way you have to teach the children to value things. If they don't know what it costs, it means little to them if it gets broken, they just expect another one.

We're having our kids save their money to buy their own computer. It has been a great opportunity to show them how $20 here and $10 there add up over time. So instead of blowing money on a plastic toy that would be broken in a matter of minutes, they now have a considerable sum saved and will be purchasing their own computer next month. It has to start at home, and parents are doing their children no favors when they indulge every whim just so they "have it better than I did". Thoughtful post!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2356 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11324

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review