All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Barbie new
      #192427 - 07/06/05 04:10 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Yep, what is it with these parents buying their teenage daughters $200 handbags? And I almost forgot about the tanning booth!

Good for you for buying things for your granddaughter at the resale shop. You can get great buys there! I love shopping at the local Goodwill because I see designer clothes there for $3.95 that look like they've never been worn. (I've bought Ralph Lauren, JJill, Ann Taylor Loft, Chico's etc) stuff there and no one knows the difference.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: BL new
      #192431 - 07/06/05 04:17 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

You have raised 2 good boys with a good head on their shoulders. They aren't likely to have their heads turned by some flossie who wants only the most expensive of everything. Thanks to your teaching, they'll see through it in a heartbeat. Those types are pretty easy to see through. Don't worry. Your boys will be fine, and they'll bring home nice daughter-in-laws for you. Hugs, Alicia.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Lana Marie new
      #192433 - 07/06/05 04:19 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I agree that girls are worst than boys when it comes to things like this (thank goodness I have boys!), but the boys want plenty of their own "toys" too.

It just comes in different forms: fancy cars and trucks (many of them customized), the latest video game systems, big screen tv's (yep, in their bedrooms!), hunting and fishing equipment, stereos, workout machines, and designer clothes and shoes.

It never ends!

A Kid's Opinion new
      #192466 - 07/06/05 06:17 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I can totally understand what you're saying BL. My Dad actually bought me an SUV my first year of University...I had a car at the time but it wasn't very reliable and he wanted me to have something better.

Anyways, I loved the car (of course), but after that first year of University, my Dad said he couldn't pay my tuition anymore. It all came down to the car, because he paid for the car, he couldn't pay the tuition. So, believe me, from a teenager (at the time) perspective, if I had known it would have been the car OR tuition, I definately would have chosen tuition.

So, that's just my long-winded way of saying I think you're doing the right thing

Re: A Kid's Opinion new
      #192529 - 07/07/05 02:22 AM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

Weeeeelllllll.... there are definitely different levels of spoiled. We never really had any money growing up, because my parents had me really young (they got married at 19 and 20, had me at 23 and are still together thankyouverymuchnaysayers!).. but I have to say the best things I have ever purchased were my 400 thread count Egyptian cotton sheets, and my $40 fluffy sosososoft bath towels. They honestly make my life bearable, especially if I'm feeling crap. I could see how people would consider them necessities.
You only live once - if you can afford the finer things in life - I say do it!

Having said that though, I definitely agree that boobs before 20 are wrong. Not a fan of fakies at any age, really... but especially wrong in an adolescent. I don't really agree with nails or tanning as a teenager either, I think it's kind of unnessecary sexualisation.. but then again, being the flatchested plain girl at school, I can see why girls enjoy that sort of treatment.

Also with cars, a first car should be something you don't mind seeing wrapped around a power pole (with precious offspring safely outside of course). I don't think I could purchase a "nice" car for a learner or new driver. However, I have no qualms about getting myself a BMW. They're really nice to drive. And leather smells good.

I don't really know what I'm trying so say here... except maybe go easy on people who live different to you. The hard way isn't ALWAYS the best way to live.

--------------------
*Emma*

I totally agree with you Purplelollie. new
      #192576 - 07/07/05 05:49 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Except about the leather.

#192622 - 07/07/05 06:49 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I don't think that that's what we're trying to say here. I think the point we're trying to make is that these kids who get EVERYTHING on a silver platter don't really appreciate the good things in life, nor do they appreciate what hard work it takes to earn those things. I have 400 count sheets too, and I love them. I never had them as a child, and now that I can afford them as an adult, OHHH! Do I ever enjoy and appreciate them!!!!!!! I just think that kids should be taught to appreciate these things and not take them for granted.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#192630 - 07/07/05 07:13 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I have to agree with you about your only living once attitude.

I easily spend $100+ on a pair of pants if I really want them. If I want something I buy it....because I can afford to so why not right?

My dad bought me a brand new car when I started University (although it was in his name, etc.) and then once I finished school and started working and could afford to pay for it myself I bought the car off him.

I can totally see how some kids get spoiled by their parents but I think that you can give your child things (that may not be needed for survival only) and still teach them the value of money.

Re: I totally agree with you Purplelollie. new
      #192633 - 07/07/05 07:22 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

haha I agree too!

My parent's had very very little growing up. Their parents wouldn't pay for their colleges, made them work since they were 14 etc, so my parents wanted to make sure that us kids had the opportunities they never had.

My parents were also married at 22 and had me at 23 (also still married and more in love than ever) and at first they couldn't do a whole lot for us.. but as my dad worked harder and advanced in his job, they wanted to make sure we had what we needed.

I wasn't offered life on a silver platter at all.. and through their help they've also taught me the importance of work, and I can see their pride when they talk about the fact that they were able to send all three kids to whatever college we wanted to, when they weren't able to because of zero funds.

I think they taught me well.. but I can't lie.. I walk around in 150 dollar pants and 250 dollar coach purses.. BUT i bought them all myself, and I've worked partime since I was 16 to learn the value of money. I'm not spoiled.. I just have very good taste

--------------------

Re: What is wrong with today's parents? new
      #192637 - 07/07/05 07:32 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I 100% agree with you. Spoiling kids is ALWAYS BAD!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 197 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11325

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review