All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Yogurt -- ecmmbm/Michelle?
      #192135 - 07/06/05 07:14 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Okay guys, don't yell, but I've been eating yogurt. Real dairy yogurt, and lots of it. I am totally hooked on Fage Total Greek Style Yogurt. I buy the plain or the one that is part plain with a little honey compartment. I've been eating it every day for breakfast for a couple of weeks now. Am I just fooling myself, or could it be that I can handle yogurt? My tummy has been a little icky today and yesterday, but I am attributing that to incredibly high anxiety (I really can't even go into it here but life is a stressful mess right now) and aunt flo. Michelle, I seem to remember you saying that you can tolerate homemade yogurt -- am I imagining that? Can anyone else get away with it? I feel like I'm going to jinx myself by talking about it, and I'm not really looking for permission, just wanted to see if anyone else was doing this too and getting away with it.
Thanks,
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

anyone? -nt- new
      #192165 - 07/06/05 08:06 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

--------------------
Amanda

yep... new
      #192171 - 07/06/05 08:16 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I can't do soy at ALL. Plain, low fat, homemade yogurt where it's cultured for 24 hours and ALL lactose sugars are gone and lots of good cultures have built up in there... I tolerate well and actually is a staple for me. My son has severe gut issues and I think this has actually been healing for him. But it is not casein free if that is the issue. I know Heather says there is more to worry about in dairy than lactose so I don't want to sway anyone else, but yes, you are right, for me - it works.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Re: yep... new
      #192181 - 07/06/05 08:34 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Alright, so maybe I'm not crazy. My mom always made yogurt growing up, and I made it myself in college before the ibs hit. She always used to give it to me for an upset stomach, which makes it kind of ironic that I've crossed it off my list since then. Maybe I'll really be okay if I go back on it for good. Thanks for letting me know that I'm not nuts!

--------------------
Amanda

how do you make it michelle?!?! -nt- new
      #192184 - 07/06/05 08:36 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

--------------------

Re: how do you make it michelle?!?! -nt- new
      #192187 - 07/06/05 08:42 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

I'll post instructions in 2 min ...

--------------------
Amanda

thanks panda new
      #192190 - 07/06/05 08:46 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

thats what the french lady says to eat..is that why you tried it. hehe

--------------------

I bought a Yogourmet... new
      #192194 - 07/06/05 08:52 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

It's easy as can be. You boil 1/2 gallon organic milk. Then let it cool to room temp (certain degree on thermometer, can't remember now, have it marked on my therm so I don't have to think about it). Then mix it in a container with "yogurt starter", then put it in the yogurt maker and let it "cook" for 24 hours. Then it sets up in the fridge for another 8 hours to thicken. Then it's done. I use it with fruit or honey, etc. I drip the extra liquid out of it sometimes which leaves a cream cheese consistency, use this to make popsicles and peanut butter balls for my son. I get all my stuff from this website: http://www.lucyskitchenshop.com/ My son is on that diet for his gut issues and ASD. GL!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Homemade Yogurt new
      #192198 - 07/06/05 08:56 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Warning to newbies and everyone -- Dairy Yogurt is generally considered an IBS trigger because it contains casein and whey. It does not contain lactose, and is therefore somewhat more tolerable for very stable people. Here is my family recipe:

Gallon of Milk (whole or 2%, not skim)
1 cup store-bought plain yogurt, or yogurt you saved from the last time you made it. This is your "starter"
teeny bit of butter to rub on the bottom of the pan
2 beach towels

Put the starter in a bowl on the counter so it can get to room temp. Butter the bottom of a big dutch oven or other big pot. This keeps the milk from burning. Pour in all the milk. Say a prayer so the milk doesn't boil over and create a gross mess on your stove. Turn the fire on medium-high and don't go anywhere. Just as the milk begins to boil, foam, and rise, turn off the fire. Thank God that it didn't boil over. Wait a long while for the milk to cool off considerably. You know it's ready when you can hold your pinky finger in there for 7-10 seconds. This is a very scientific measurement. Ladle some of the warm milk, a spoonful at a time, into the bowl of starter, and mix it around. This is called tempering, and it warms the starter up gradually so it doesn't kill the cultures. Now, add the starter into the big pot, stir it around a couple times, and put the lid on it. Now, take the pot off the stove and place it on a spread out beach towel on the counter. Wrap the ends and sides of the beach towel up around the pot. Lay the second beach towel over the top and tuck it all around. This is to help the milk cool as gradually as possible. If it cools too fast or too slowly, you get a lot of water on top of your yogurt. Say another prayer that it turns out, or else you get a big pot of milk. Leave it overnight, at least 24 hours to break down all the lactose. Now, you have yogurt. If you want to get even more creative, you can spoon all of the yogurt into a very fine white pillowcase or a sac made out of cheesecloth. Add a little salt. Hang it from the cabinet over your sink and let all the water drain out. When it's cream cheese consistency, you're done, and you've made a very yummy spread. The longer you let it sit out in the pot, and then the longer you let it hang over the sink, the more of a tart taste you will get. If you don't have a pillowcase or a cheesecloth bag to use, you can do it another way. Get a big bowl and some good, strong paper towels. I like Viva. Lay the paper towels over the top of the bowl and secure them with a giant rubberband or one of those stretchy headbands. Spoon the (salted) yogurt onto this towel hammock and leave it on the counter until all the water has dripped through and into the bowl. Then, very gently scrape the yogurt off the towels and into a bowl. Do not attempt to unhook the towels while the strained yogurt is still on top -- it will fall into the bowl of water.

We eat the spread for breakfast on bagels or on syrian (pita) bread. Drizzle it with a tiny bit of extra virgin olive oil too. Olives on top are great.

We eat the plain yogurt at breakfast with honey, or at dinner, mixed with garlic, salt,dried mint, and chopped cucumbers, to accompany a lot of meat dishes.

I hope that made sense!

Panda

--------------------
Amanda

Re: thanks panda new
      #192199 - 07/06/05 08:57 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

guilty. I mean, I grew up eating it anyway and then stopped. I started again because of the French lady.

--------------------
Amanda

#192253 - 07/06/05 11:09 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

can you not just use plain yogurt from the grocery store.. or is this not the same kinda yogurt?!?

--------------------

#192257 - 07/06/05 11:26 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Well it's not really as good, and you don't know how long they let it "cook" to break down all the lactose. Plus they add stabilizers and all kinds of other random stuff. But, if you're gonna do storebought, get Fage Total Greek Style Yogurt. Yum.

--------------------
Amanda

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 118 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2871

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review