All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Okay, enough is enough!
      #191508 - 07/04/05 01:34 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

You all know the horrible past few weeks I've been having: car accident, totaled car, walking miles in heat to get groceries, groceries getting stolen, broke my tooth and need expensive root canal and crown, broke my blender and now have glass imbedded in my foot from where I stepped on a hidden shattered piece...having to get rides back and forth to work, not having a car to go car shopping, losing out on a great apartment after losing out on a condo I loved, locking myself out of my apartment for hours in the pouring rain and heat....the list goes on!

Well, I have no money. None. I make very little at my job. But I went ahead and bought a Toyota that was beyond my means because they are suppose to be so reliable. I didn't take the extended warranty because I have no money to pay for it.

Well, I get into the car today to get some much needed groceries and to go visit Grandma and mom and guess what. The d*** car won't start! I've had this car exactly 9 days and the car won't start! I cried! I can't take life anymore. What is with life anyhow? I can't seem to get any relief in my symptoms, I have a clueless doctor, I get no medical advise, and my luck is just rotten!

Now, I fear I have just sank half a years salary into a lemon! I thought Toyota didn't make lemons! And because I didn't take the extended warranty, I am responsible for towing costs to the dealer to get the car looked at! I fear the bill...may I reiterate, I have no money!

I am so afraid I have bought myself a lemon. I cannot afford repairs on a car that I already spent too much money on. I am freaking out with worry. I don't know if I should ask if it's too late to return the car, or if I am just stuck with this car now...or if I am blowing all this out of proportion and maybe it's just the battery? But why already? In only a week? Is this a bad omen of things to come?

What do you guys think I should do? Do you think I should ask if it's too late to get an extended warranty if I can? Should I try to return the car (doubt that's an option).

Have any of you had this happen to you before?

Oh, I think I am at the end of my rope here. Why does life beat people who are barely hanging on in the first place?

I thought this car fiasco was over, but I fear it is just the beginning of a rotten deal!

Thanks for anyone who's out there on this Happy 4th of July! Yeah, right!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Before you panic... new
      #191510 - 07/04/05 01:43 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...triple check that you left nothing on that could've drained the battery. Then check under the hood to see if you can spot any cables that aren't attached.

Do you have jump leads? If not could you get them and find someone else with a vehicle to try giving you a jump? If that works and you left nothing on and no cables are lose, then odds are it just needs a new battery.

{{{hugs}}} Hope it works out ok.

Okay, maybe I'm over reacting new
      #191513 - 07/04/05 01:45 PM
Augie

But it's still frustrating to shell out half a years salary on a car and a week later it won't start.

Plus, since it is a Holiday here, no one is at the dealership to answer the phone. So, I won't have any answers until tomorrow, tops.

Sorry if so melodramatic...I'm trying to not freak out before I assess the situation...but I'm not very good at it yet, as my previous post indicates!

--------------------
~ Beth

I would be positively hysterical by now if I were you...I think you're doing GREAT! new
      #191516 - 07/04/05 01:51 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Beth...you are able to post here and to take a deep breath...WOW! Good for you. You should be PROUD! Keep us posted...we love ya!!!

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Okay, maybe I'm over reacting new
      #191517 - 07/04/05 01:52 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I'd be screaming too, but before you burst into tears, check that it isn't something simple that you can sort out - like a flat battery.

Good luck!

Thanks Ruchie new
      #191518 - 07/04/05 01:56 PM
Augie

Believe me, I was much worse before I got to the boards. I cried, then tried calling the dealer twice, then talked to my mom a little.

I'm not good with anxiety or problems! I thought if I didn't post a retraction, people would think I was absolutely nuts! But truth be told, I'm freaking out.

I don't know anything about cars, I can't figure out if I left anything on that isn't suppose to be on because the car is so unfamiliar to me. And I don't know anything about wires...It all looks normal to me. Well, it all looks confusing to me!

If it's just the battery, I will be thankful...but now I will always be on edge waiting for the next problem to happen! I can't live on edge all the time...I wish I never got this stupid car. I should have waited for another one. I have such rotten luck!

--------------------
~ Beth

I don't have jumper leads... new
      #191519 - 07/04/05 02:00 PM
Augie

and no one seems to be around to help. Everyone is off barbequing and celebrating the 4th of July.

Linz, I can't tell if anything is loose or left on. I'm not too familiar with the car yet.

Do you think I should try and get my money back on this car? I'm so afraid this is just a bad sign. I can't live on edge waiting for the next problem.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Okay, enough is enough! *DELETED* new
      #191520 - 07/04/05 02:00 PM
Jeano

Reged: 03/20/04
Loc: USA

Post deleted by Jeano

Well, I've only had the problem once so far... new
      #191521 - 07/04/05 02:06 PM
Augie

...do I have to wait for the problem to happen 3 times?

I really just don't want to have to return the car and start all over again looking for a new one. I am so tired of this car fiasco...it's been a month of dealing with this since my car accident.

The car did go through a thorough inspection and is a certified Toyota vehicle, so there shouldn't be anything wrong with it, right??? In theory, at least. Oy, sorry to be such a downer here. I don't know what I'd do without you guys. I am so grateful for all of you!

Lots of HUGS and love to all my buddies out there!

--------------------
~ Beth

Something like this actually happened to me! new
      #191548 - 07/04/05 04:36 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I tell you I have terrible luck with cars... honey, I ain't kiddin'.

Before I had the Metro, I bought a Saturn. Saturns are supposed to be WONDERFUL cars - I have friends who've had theirs happily for years with no problems. It was older, but still very nice. To top it off, it was only $3K, so I was a very happy camper.

Well, I drove it for a month, and it died. And when I say "died", what I mean is that the engine block inexplicably cracked, essentially totalling the car. I didn't have a warranty either... in fact, the 30-day warranty from the dealer had JUST expired.

You know d@mn well I raised h*** with the dealership for selling me junk. I'm good at getting my way when I get pissy, I guess. In the end, they agreed to apply my purchase price of the old car towards a new one... and that's how I got my Metro, which has been a basically good car through an awful lot of mileage.

Call the dealership. You've only had the car 9 days - most dealerships will work with you in that time frame, even without an extended warranty. And if they don't, that's when you report them to the BBB and register complaints about them with their managers, their corporate offices if they have them, etc etc. You'd be surprised what you can accomplish when you don't settle for being treated like crap... but hopefully it won't have to go that far anyway.

A car not starting *can* be something really minor, costwise, to fix. Don't freak out till there's something worth freaking about!

Usually when a car won't start new
      #191562 - 07/04/05 05:33 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

it's the battery, alternator, or starter. It is perfectly normal for these parts to wear out. I think you said you had a 2001, which is pretty quick for an alternator to wear out, but it can happen. None of these repairs should be too expensive, i.e. under $200. I know that's still a lot when you're broke, but it is certainly better than a $1500 engine rebuild.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by its not starting -- i.e. if you get nothing or if it just won't "catch", but it should be easy to check if the battery is dead. Turn the key 3/4 or so and it should be in battery mode -- try turning on the radio or heat/AC.

If it won't turn on, have someone jump the car. If you can't find anyone who can give you a jump, pop the hood and make sure the battery terminals look OK -- sometimes the terminals get pretty ucky and have to be replaced, but you can get by with a quick cleaning.

I'm so sorry about your spell of bad luck. But don't immediately assume this is a catastrophe. Every car, no matter how reliable, has normal wear-and-tear and will inevitably need repairs. Even 9 days after being sold to a new owner. But, I would definitely talk to the dealer and see what he could do for you.

By the way, you have sounded very concerned about paying for this vehicle. Please keep in mind you don't have to spend a lot of money for reliability. My husband and I are very aggressive car shoppers and spend a lot of time researching cars and reading classifieds. We have had great luck with every car that we have owned -- I can't even remember the last time I've been stranded somewhere by a balky vehicle. I've been driving a 1997 Honda Civic for the last year and haven't had a single problem with it, though I do have some upcoming maintenance on it. We bought it for $5000 with 63,000 miles. The only disadvantage is that if you do get financing (we pay cash), the interest rates are higher for older cars. But, insurance will also be cheaper!

Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: Okay, enough is enough!- a few things to try new
      #191564 - 07/04/05 05:39 PM
RGS

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: Queensland, Australia

Hello you poor thing you have been in the wars, can i suggest a few things you might try. It's probably just a dead battery. When you try to start it do you get any light indications on the dash as you normally would? does the starter try to turn the engine?
Sometimes it can be as little as dirty battery terminals,in which you don't get any current through even if the battery is ok, and if the car has been sitting around at a dealers for a while this might be the case.
Take both the battery cabbles off the battery, and if there is any corrosion or powder build up just clean them. You can buy an inexpensive battery post cleaner, or use a wire brush, or get some emery paper and clean them until you see shiny metal. Don't forget to clean inside the connectors on the end of the cables as well. You just want to have clean metal connecting with clean metal. Give it a try.
Ralph

Re: I don't have jumper leads... new
      #191572 - 07/04/05 06:20 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

Beth, I am SO sorry that all this has happened to you! You poor, poor thing. I swear, when it rains, it pours.

My best advice would be to take it back to the dealership tomorrow and get it checked out. If there is something wrong with it besides the battery, they should take it back, considering it has only been 9 days. Scream and yell at them til they do.

I'll be keeping you in my prayers, dear.

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Casey and Beth = Bad Luck new
      #191595 - 07/04/05 08:22 PM
Augie

Well, it doesn't surprise me that this happened to you, unfortunately. We have the same relationship with luck--only bad.

Do you think I should ask them to take the car back for a different one, if they even have anything I want? Or do you think I should just try to get them to fix whatever is wrong? But they could tell me anything was wrong, do a little temporary fixing to get it running, just to buy some time until the 30 days was up and then I would be stuck with the bill for sure.

I just don't know if I am over reacting or not. It could just be a battery and I could never have another problem again....but this is NOT a good way to start out with a car. I feel like I will be holding my breath now just waiting for the next thing to go wrong.

Do you think I should try and get the extended warranty now that this has happened? I had decided not to get it because I don't have the money for it, and it doesn't cover normal wear and tear items anyhow. So, why sink 1000 dollars into something that may never come to be? But the security it would provide would be nice. Plus, it would pay for the towing and the rental car if the car needs to be kept overnight, which it will be tomorrow.

--------------------
~ Beth

Thanks all for your suggestions and about the extended warranty... new
      #191597 - 07/04/05 08:30 PM
Augie

I truly appreciate each of you taking the time to offer some advice. I had my neighbor give me a jump start and the car started. Initially, all I got was clicking...not even trying to get to the engine. Just dead and clicking. I could not see any obvious lights left on, and the ceiling light still worked when the door was opened, so I don't know how it could be the battery. I'm thinking maybe the alternator, which, according to my mom, is expensive. The battery looked clean and no corrosion.

Hopefully the car will start tomorrow and after work I can take it in to leave at the dealership. They better offer to give me a ride home and to look at it for free. I'll probably have to pay for any repairs, I suppose.

So, should I try to trade it in for a new one? Is this a lemon? Or just bad luck?

Do you guys who voted not to get the warranty still feel that way? It still would cost over 1000 dollars for it which I still can't afford. Really can't afford now! OY, what to do!

--------------------
~ Beth

Holy cow, hon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! new
      #191599 - 07/04/05 08:31 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I have no idea what to tell you but I sure hope it turned out to be something minor with the car!! I'm praying life eases up on you soon!! I'm half-asleep here but will check on you tomorrow! hang in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

I thought a 16 month warranty came with it? new
      #191600 - 07/04/05 08:32 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

My suggestion was that anything really wrong would show up in that amount of time - which it may HAVE already, oy!!!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Re: Okay, enough is enough! new
      #191630 - 07/04/05 10:41 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Aw hon, I'm sorry you're having such a tough time I unfortunately don't have any advice on the car issue since I'm completely clueless when it comes to vehicles, but I just wanted you to know that I'm thinking about you and I hope things look up for you real soon

Beth new
      #191660 - 07/05/05 06:17 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I know how stressful this must be for you! I'd be furious too! But before you freak out, find out what the problem is. It could be something minor.

I agree with the others'advice. Go to the dealership this morning, demand to see the sales manager (and the head of the service department). Explain that you just bought the car there 9 days ago (have your paperwork with you) ---and that you will not put up with a car that won't start. Tell them you expect them to thoroughly check the car out and fix the problem---at no cost to you.

BE ASSERTIVE! They will only run over you (not a good pun when talking about a car dealership!)----if you let them.

If it's a reputable dealership, they will want you to leave happy. They don't want to ruin their reputation with an unhappy customer.

Most dealerships send out customer satisfaction surveys after a purchase, and they depend on getting high marks on these. So the ball is in your court!

IF---and that's a big IF---they are ugly to you or won't help you, make 'em nervous! Say to the guy, "Can I have your name and title? Full name, that is." Write this down. It makes em' very nervous. Or say, "I want to speak to your supervisor right now!" Don't let them give you this "he's in a meeting right now." Too bad! Tell him you'll wait! And sit outside his door and WAIT!

As long as you've purchased it from a reputable dealer, you should not have a problem. If for some reason you do, then you have other avenues to resolve this. You can take the next step by contacting the owner of the dealership or the automobile manufacturer's regional office. But hopefully, it won't come to that.

We bought a used car from a Honda dealership whose service department practically does cartwheels when they realize we bought the car from them! They will jump through hoops to make us happy. That's why we bought from them!

Good luck, sweetie! I know this is a big hassle, but hopefully, you will have this resolved soon. Let us know what happens.

I just called the used car salesman manager... new
      #191724 - 07/05/05 08:37 AM
Augie

and he wasn't in yet! I had to come to work today because I'm the only one here and they needed someone to open up the library.

Wish me luck on being assertive with these guys...I'm such a pushover.

--------------------
~ Beth

You can do it!! new
      #191733 - 07/05/05 08:49 AM
Sailing Away

Reged: 03/31/05

Just stay calm and let them know what happened and what suggestions they have for the repairs versus your suggestions. If all else, ask the sales manager what he would want done if it was his car. You can always move up to the general manager or owner if you aren't happy.

I wish you luck!!! *hugs*

-Michelle

Re: I just called the used car salesman manager... new
      #191743 - 07/05/05 09:07 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

What a mess! Sorry you are having such a rotten time right now! Talk to the sale manager. They should look at it for no charge since you only had it 9 days! I wouldn't rush into getting a different car until you find out whats wrong with this one! Let us know when you talk to him!! Lots of love and hugs!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Do you guys think... new
      #191745 - 07/05/05 09:08 AM
Augie

I should try to get a different car...or just get this one fixed? I don't want the hassle of being carless again, or having to pick something off the lot...or getting my license plates reassigned...

But I am now spooked that this car is going to be a problem that I will continually need to worry about/repair...

Maybe it's just a fluke that this happened only a week after getting it, though. And maybe it really is a good car.

Thanks for the support. I'll try to stay calm and just try to reason with them in an adult manner.

--------------------
~ Beth

Thanks Michele new
      #191748 - 07/05/05 09:10 AM
Augie

I know there are worse problems, so I appreciate everyone support over what may seem like a petty thing. Just seems like when you are overwhelmed with lots of things at once, you tend to lose your perspective on things...and I guess this is the straw that broke this camels back!

--------------------
~ Beth

#191752 - 07/05/05 09:19 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Oh no Beth.....

#191789 - 07/05/05 10:04 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

First : Kick the car in the tires (doesn't help, but gets rid of some frustration)

Next: Kick the salesman in the @ss (that will help) LOL

Carol

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

Beth, what happened with the car???? ===nt===== new
      #192021 - 07/05/05 06:36 PM
BL

Anyone heard from Beth about the car?---nt--- new
      #192160 - 07/06/05 07:43 AM
BL

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 467 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2606

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review