All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Going to a psychiatrist...you guys were right all along
      #191300 - 07/03/05 05:32 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I took a LONG look at my life this weekend. And I have never been truly happy. I have had some mania in my life. Laughing hysterically ([icture the hyinas in Lion King). And some deep suicidal moments. And anxiety. Social phobia. (Like not wanting to go to a friend's party, getting there because my mom literally dragged me to the car, and loving the party having a blast. But getting there was awful...the anticipation and self-hate *sigh).

I need to get this evaluated. Whether it is from my abusive past or not...I DO NOT have to suffer like this anymore.

My family would not let me believe I had a problem EVER! Shoving away the abuse, my learning disabilities, and my depression under the rug. I was specifically told I don't need medication for depression because, clearly I am not depressed.

I don't know how to thank all of you...especially Kate, Linz, Stephie, Melissa, Donna, Shelby, Kimm, Sinead, Tina, Nelly, Dalia, Alicia, Ashley, Michele, and others I cannot recall at the moment (sorry!) for telling me it is OKAY to take Ad's and to have depression. That it is does not make me a failure. That it does not change the way you think about me.

It is SO HARD to get help when you have been through so much. To trust a doctor. I am supposed to have EMDR, a tpe of hypnosis, with this new therapist. And I am afraid she will use subliminal messages to abuse me. *crying* I am SO paronoid because of what I have been through!

I am sorry for taking up so much board space these past few weeks. But without you guys I would be in a VERY bad place right now...I don't know HOW to thank you?! I have never had real friends like this before!

KELLY--please recognize you are NOT alone! And please e-mail me if you ever want to. It seems like we are both in bad spots...but it helps to know we are not alone.

I pray that each and every person on these boards gets WELL, is HAPPY, has as many children as they want, and has all of THEIR prayers answered!

I love you guys VERY VERY much...

Thank you for being my FAMILY!

With love and tears,

Ruchie

P.S. I forgot to mention that this new therapist wants me to see a psychiatrist to be evaluated for depression/anxiety. And I plan to go through with it. I hope I can come here for moral support? I've been hospitalized and OVER medicated (part of why I'm SO SCARED of drugs!) and I have a REALLY HARD time with trust. I hope I can come here for support. I just really hope I'm not taking up too much board space

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Going to a psychiatrist...you guys were right all along new
      #191317 - 07/03/05 06:20 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

You should be very proud of yourself for how far you've come already!!! You've taken some amazing steps!!

Of course you are not crowding up the boards!! We are here to help and we want to support you.....don't ever feel like you're not welcome to share your thoughts and feelings here.

Keep me updated on how everything goes and I will be sure to let you know how my appointment goes tomorrow afternoon.

*big hugs*

#191326 - 07/03/05 07:12 PM
paintlady

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Columbia, CA

Ruchie,
I haven't conversed on this post in awhile.
Just checking things out to get my mind off my horrible week. Your post spoke to me.
My little sister is in an abusive relationship and afraid to leave it. I so hope she gets strong like you and seeks help. I am so afraid for her but she won't let anyone help or help herself. Rest of my family having super rough lives also.
I'm so worried about them all. and my IBS is raging.
You've given yourself a wonderful gift going for help.
In the past I've gone and talked with counsler, very helpful. Second one I tried that is. First one wasn't right and the hypnosis stuff scared me too. Anyway all we can do in this life is keep trying and keep hopeful.
I'm sending you good thoughts and also to my little sis.

paintlady

#191327 - 07/03/05 07:12 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm proud of you, sweetie. It takes a LOT of strength to recognize your problems, and even MORE to confront them head-on like this. *big hugs* And you know we're all here for you, no matter what - "take up board space" all you like. Keep us posted!

#191332 - 07/03/05 07:30 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Ah, Ruchie! I am so proud of you! This is a big step for you. It is not a weakness to seek professional help. What is a shame is people who won't admit they need help. You are going to be so much stronger and healthier because of this. This is the first step and a big one for you.

The greatest thing I ever did was get myself to a psychiatrist---and to put my faith in him. He was the greatest, sweetest, most compassionate person---and I owe my life to him! I never would've made it without him.

You are such a ray of sunshine to all of us. I think I speak for others when I say we love to hear from you. You are not "taking up space" on the boards. You are our friend, and we love you and are concerned about you. That's what friends are for!

(((((Big hugs))))) You are making great progess!

#191345 - 07/03/05 08:15 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

Ruchie!

excellent! seeing a therapist and a psychiatrist is a great idea, because its about time you got to a good spot in your life.

I hope that it works out for you!

--------------------

#191347 - 07/03/05 08:24 PM
Jeano

Reged: 03/20/04
Loc: USA

Hi Ruchie,
I am so glad that you found a new therapist. You haven't been taking up board space. We love to hear from you. When you are feeling all alone you need to post your feelings so we can help you. We are here for you. I think you are a wonderful person. We do not think you are a failure. You have been abused and we don't want you to suffer anymore. Please tell your therapist how you feel about everything. We will be praying for you and we will give you all the moral support you need.
We are your friends and let us help you through your bad times.
Shelby

#191358 - 07/03/05 09:31 PM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

Ruchie....

good for you, i totally agree with therapy, i was had it for a while, as well i had an abusive past, and little things i didn't understand triggered me....I don't know the other posts you have put up, but i know that therapy helped so much for me, along with a support group, that i could trust, it took a lot of hits and misses to find people who i could trust, and weren't co-dependent, as most abused people become.

i wish the best for you, and hope that you do good, there are some good docs and some bad. some that just go by the book, and some that stay out of the box, and care about what they do, and know that nothing is by the book. my advise to you, look until you can find someone that you completely feel comfortable with! write a list of things you need from your therapist too, and what you expect, as they probably will do in the first few sessions

good luck to you!
Lyndsey

#191379 - 07/04/05 12:58 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Honey, that's soooo positive! You are NOT taking up too much board space - I know I love to hear how you're doing!

Get hubby to go with you to the first appointment...and tell the doctor about your worries b/c of what happened in the past. If they're any good, they'll put you at ease.

Do your own research too when you get a rx...there's enough of us on here that have been on a-d's or are still on them to let you know if you're on a "normal" does, etc!

Personally, I love my a-d's. They help me function like a vaguely normal person and for that I am so grateful.

Good luck!

#191385 - 07/04/05 03:53 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

1. Never worry about board space. I thnink everyone here agrees that is what it is FOR!

2. I hope you get the help you need, in whatever form you need! If your body needs to restore a chemical or hormonal balance or something, you will most certainly need medical help to correct it.

Prayers continue!!!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#191397 - 07/04/05 05:37 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

*HUG* I think you are definitely doing the right thing Ruchie.. and it will work out for you... DH has found that when he stops taking the meds he is much worse.. I am lucky in that my issues are't clinical, but his are and it has made a huge difference!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#191401 - 07/04/05 06:15 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Hey little sis, I think this is all great and will help you out in a short while. Good for you!

#191407 - 07/04/05 06:19 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

You can NEVER take up too much board space. We love you! I will send you an e-mail soon. Hugs, Alicia.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#191409 - 07/04/05 06:20 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

*HUGS* You CAN do this! Talk to the new therapist and psychiatrist about your fears and what's happened in the past (like Linz suggested). Include Hubby in on your therapy and psychiatrist sessions as much as you feel comfortable to, so he can serve as your "lifeline" in case something happens again, or in case you're scared something will.

Here for you whenever/however you need me! Keep us updated!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Let us be there for you!! new
      #191429 - 07/04/05 07:53 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Ruchie, you are loved!! You know there is no shame here, and you can vent whenever you want! You are being procative about your health and I'm proud of you. Your friend,

~nelly~

I wish my students had the courage that you do!! new
      #191436 - 07/04/05 08:52 AM
Sailing Away

Reged: 03/31/05

Ruchie,

I am so proud that you have the courage to seek the professional help that you need. I work with students with disabilities everyday who are suffering from many different types of health conditions. Sadly many of them have suffered for many years with depression, anxiety, phobias and other issues on top of their other disabilities without the support of family, friends or even instructors who care about them. Students are referred to our office by instructors, RAs and other individuals who recognize there is a problem and that they care enough to help the student find the correct path. I have lost track of the number of individuals who have come in to our office discouraged because they haven't had the support all of their lives and are trying to adapt to college life, work and deal with all these other issues. In one of the articles I was just reading for work it was discussing the percentage (1 in 11) of individuals who suffer with depression for years without diagnosis. When the initial symptoms begin it can take up to 7 years before they are able to realize they need assistance. Unfortunately with college aged students they have so many changes going on that suicide becomes their only option. As I read your posting I saw many issues that are similiar to yours that some of my students face. I wish that they all could go further like you are to continue with the help they need, but also had the support of so many more individuals on their road to recovery.

I know it is easy for me to say, but know that the therapy you seek will be beneficial to you. There are few therapists out there who take advantage of their patients so don't let that scare you. It seems that we hear more about bad therapists than we do about the wonderful ones who make a difference in the lives of their patients who are now able to cope with their anxiety and phobias. Having sat in on a depression evaluation I can tell you that the process works best in being honest about how you feel and what your goals are in life. The evaluators really understand that there are times when it is hard to put into words what you need to say. Take your time...make sure they know what is going on. Additionally, one of the therapists that I admire for her work always tells her patients, if something isn't working after a few weeks let her know because change doesn't happen overnight but it does happen. She tries to make sure they are informed in the process and actively making the decisions that make their lives better. Some times medication is necessary, other times it isn't. I know it does take a bit to find what is right for you, and I have faith that it will happen for you.

Never feel like you are taking up to much space on this board or any board to deal with the issues you are facing. You have support and love here and will need that to make sure your therapy works. Please know how much I wish the best for you in your recovery and that I will be thinking and praying for you. *hugs*

Michelle

Ruchie new
      #191497 - 07/04/05 12:52 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Great to hear from you, you are very brave and strong to make that decision. Go for it, we are all here for you.

Hugs,

Sinéad

--------------------
S.

Re: Michelle - new
      #191528 - 07/04/05 02:29 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

I wish you were around when I was in high school/university. I suffered grade school, hs, university suffering from depression and obsessive compulsive disorder. Not until AFTER I gave birth to my first child at 28 did it become so unmanageable that I had to get a diagnosis, and even then it took another year for me to get the courage to go in. Bless you for the work that you do. The students that you help are truly lucky. I only wish there were people like you around when I needed them so desperately. All the signs were there, yet no one saw them/ or was willing to do something about it. Sigh. Thank you for doing what you do.

--------------------

#191574 - 07/04/05 06:27 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Ruchie, dear:

Quite often, past trauma WIRES you differently and believe it or not--it's up to you--neuro-chemical reactions that are no big deal for someone untraumatized are warped. Something in your neurochemistry gets "misunderstood" or "lost" and well...AD's can help ease the flow and balance out your neurochemistry.

Do you want to run around in circles, repeating the same negative programming over and over and over again. Note: because of your trauma, people took control of you and manipulated you for their selfish and evil purposes. YOU NEED CONTROL OF YOU BACK. YOU NEED TO BE THE BOSS OF YOU.
An AD, if you decide it's appropriate, can be an assistant--a "foreign aid" figuratively speaking. Do you want power over your life and your destiny so that you may manifest your best self and your goals/dreams/desires with G-d?

I'm going to shut up. Taking an AD does not make you weak.
It is not a sign of weakness. It's a sign of strength to accept HELP in it's myriad forms/personifications. An AD, also is not the only part of the healing equation. It's just a co-factor.

Now, I'm really going to shut up. I don't want to sound too biased or bossy. It just hurts to see you in so much pain and witness you running about in circles in the dark. Progress, movement, positive change...this is what I wish you. YOU DESERVE SO MUCH MORE THAN THIS!!!

Alicia -Thank you for your kind words new
      #191731 - 07/05/05 08:45 AM
Sailing Away

Alicia-

It is wonderful to be thanked for something you love to do and have people recognize the work you do. I really love the work that I do and the people that I work with. I get so frustrated when they cut funding for the programs that are really beneficial to the students. Even more frustrating are the administrators who don't see the benefit to the programs that help these students and underfund them or expect these programs to be profitable. I really wish it would sink in that these are students who are seeking help and shouldn't be expected to pay hefty fees to get assistance. Even a sliding scale or a donation jar does more good in encouraging people to get the help they deserve than charging these outrageous fees. I am so glad that I work at an office where we don't charge anything for what we do and go above and beyond in finding help for students.

The saddest part is really of the job is the students who you provide the information, direction and support to who are still unable to go for help because of the stereotypes that exist. I am not sure where people get the idea that depression, anxiety, and other conditions are so bad when a larger percentage of the population has or knows someone suffering from it. I guess having all of the conditions being classified for so many years as a mental illness hasn't helped since that is probably one reason parents don't encourage or provide the support the students need because they don't want their child to be different. So to see that people are now making referrals to our office means that some of these stereotypes are being broken down, but I know there are so many others out there who are desperate for assistance that don't even know our office exists and can help them.

However, the progress that I see from the therapies, medications and support groups that are out there is really making me excited that more individuals are becoming better informed of what is available in the community and in the field.

Thanks again for your kindness. I am off to work with some more great people. I love the fact that I get to support others at work or on here and then get such kindness back at both places. I hope everyone here could be so fortunate.

-Michelle

#191757 - 07/05/05 09:23 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I'm so proud of you for making the decision to get help!! We are all here for you and never feel bad about posting!! You've already gotten all the advice I would have given so there isn't much more for me to add, other than my love and support! Hugs, hugs and more hugs!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Michelle new
      #191987 - 07/05/05 05:09 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

You're so right. We have a long way to go. But I think slowly, mental illnesses are getting the recognition they deserve. We're definitely not there yet, though. It's so frustrating!!!! I don't ever see myself going back to teaching, but I think I would be very good at counselling, and would love to work at a place like yours. Again, I really admire you for the work you do. Keep it up!!!!

--------------------

Alicia...you should DEFINATELY new
      #191988 - 07/05/05 05:13 PM
Snow for Sarala

be a counselor!

I'll be your patient...

I got your e-mails, thank you. You are such a WONDERFUL friend and woman! I'm scared to take meds...I've been overmedicated before. But I know if that happens you guys will tell me!

Thanks you for being in my life! *hugs*

Love,

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#191996 - 07/05/05 05:57 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I am so happy that you are on track. I never thought I would go to a 'shrink', but now that I live in a place where it is a normal thing for people to do, I look forward to it. It was good to have someone to talk to when my Richie died. Someone who really didn't say anything, but let me talk. I think that aside from medication they only listen anyway. You already know what is wrong. You have written about it here. Now get some meds to balance things out chemically and you'll be fine.
p.s. crying is a GOOD thing. It washes out all the pain.
Carol

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

Re: Alicia...you should DEFINATELY new
      #192144 - 07/06/05 07:21 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Rache - good therapists should start you on a LOW dose to start with and increase it slowly. Also, they should NOT increase it without your OK. My psychiatrist always asks for my input before making any med changes. So the fear of being over medicated should ease. They'll start you low and monitor you carefully. Also, your husband will be a good gauge for you, too. It's always good to have someone close to you monitor you for changes.

--------------------

Re: Alicia...you should DEFINATELY new
      #192154 - 07/06/05 07:39 AM
BL

Ruchie, I agree with Alicia. The psychiatrist should start you out on a very low dose of a med and then at follow up visits, he will ask you how you're doing. If he feels like you need more (and many times you do because they start you on a low dose to get your body used to it and then they need to increase it). But if he asks how you're feeling and you are feeling overmediciated (too sleepy, tired or wuzzy), then just tell him you don't feel you can tolerate a higher dose.

You should never feel like you have to take more than you feel comfortable taking. And you can always TRY a higher dose and if you feel like it's too much, you can reduce it (gradually, with the help of your doctor.)

You can do this! You just have to take an active role in your health care. And it's important to find someone you can trust.

Re: Michelle - Question - new
      #192172 - 07/06/05 08:19 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

What qualifications do you need to do what you do? I seriously would love to help teens. I have an Honours degree in Music and a Bachelor of Education. My Father was a Guidance Counsellor when he was a teacher, and I inherited his gift for a "good ear". I was always good at listening to my students problems. They often sought me out. I have dealt with incest, sexual abuse, etc of students. I have dealt with Chidren's Aid, the police, etc. What qualifications do you need? The only unfortunate part is that in our education system, all counselling has been cut to a bare minimum and funding is just not there for such programs like yours. Any advice???

--------------------

Over medicated new
      #192173 - 07/06/05 08:19 AM
Snow for Sarala

When I was overmedicated they had me on MANY drugs at once. They would start me on lots at a time...does this sound unsafe? It WAS for me! It made me worse off then I was to start with!

This is why I fear psychiatrists (I fear psychologists because they have abused me as well). It is SO hard to trust in my world!

Hubby and I had a LONG talk last night and I decided I have to trust SOMEONE if I am to get help. (My decision...not his). I have ben knowcked down before...but now I need to get well. And I can't do that without a suppport system that includes doctors apsychologist and a psychiatrist. In the event that there IS a chemical imbalance...I will need medication for this. You can't get that any other way. And I will NOT heal if I don't have a level playing field to start with.

So..as scared as I am...I am going to have to trust. NOT recklessly! Hubby will come with me to the psychiatrist. I looked into my psychologists' credentials and she is certified for EMDR. I have to leave the rest in G-d's hands! I have done my part. I have to let it go.

As an aside...this info. about medicating slowly is VERY helpful to me! If a doc tries to go to fast...or doesn't listen to me...I can SWITCH DOCTORS! I'm NOT a child anymore! I don't have to stay with anyone who is abusive because I have no alternative!!!

I cannot thank you all enough for being here for me! (((((((((((((((((IBS Family)))))))))))))))

Love,

Ruchily

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Ruchie---take it slowly new
      #192207 - 07/06/05 09:44 AM
BL

It is common in the psychiatric field to prescribe more than one medicine at a time, but I am always a little suspicious of psychiatrists that slap too many prescriptions down on the first visit. (I'm talking about 3-4 meds). I do believe a lot of them overmedicate their patients. You want to get well, not be in a zombie mode!

I had a wonderful doctor at my previous address who was a firm believer in having a patient take only one medicine at a time. Why? This is how he explained it to me.

He said that if he started me on more than one and I had problems with side effects, he would not be able to determine which one was causing the problem. He always had me get "settled" with one medication before adding another one, if needed.

I will back up and say that when I first saw him, it was on an emergency basis---and I was in terrible shape. He did start me on an AD---and gave me a prescription for a benzo for the panic attacks I was having. But the benzo prescription was a temporary thing---to help me through an extremely difficult time---and he said from DAY ONE, that it was only for a short period. (I hadn't slept in days!!!) After I got some sleep and the AD kicked in, he helped me cut that back until I gradually weaned myself off of it.

I don't know if I've totally confused you or not. Prescribing 2 meds together is very common in psychiatry. But I'd just be leary of someone who wanted to slap 3-4 on you the minute you walk in the door.

Everyone is different. Depending on your diagnosis, you may eventually need more than one med. You will just have to see what this doctor says, and no, you don't have to take anything you don't want to. It never hurts to get a 2nd opinion (or a 3rd).

Good luck, sweetie! I hope this isn't causing you more stress! You'll be fine. I'm glad to hear you're taking your husband along. I think that's great. Mine went with me on the first visit---and it sure helped me. I could never remember everything the doctor said, and he helped me sort through it when we got home.

So excited you're moving forward, Ruch.... new
      #192209 - 07/06/05 09:45 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Praying that they will find exactly what you need and that you'll be feeling so much better very soon! Big kudos to your hubby - he sounds like a real gem, seems to know exactly what you need!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Qualifications new
      #192474 - 07/06/05 06:48 PM
Sailing Away

Sorry it took me so long to reply...lost my internet connection last night.

I have a Masters in Instructional Technology/Curriculum and Instruction since I work with assistive technology (Braille, reformatting text into audio, etc). Most of the staff I work with have degrees in anything from social work, rehab counseling, physical therapy, and teaching. Typically the field prefers those with a masters degree but there are some with just a bachelors. The largest qualifications seem to be individuals with lots of patience, understanding, good listening skills, and a willingness to do what is in the best interest of the student even when that means fighting the administration to have them realize the benefits over the actual cost. I find that my experience in working with victims of sexual assaults, mental and physical abuse, child abuse reporting and also drug awareness has been extremely beneficial.

We deal with everything from individuals suffering from diabetes, cancer, Crohns, IBS, fibro, diabetes, organ transplants, learning disabilities, ADD/ADHD, blindness, deaf or hard of hearing, speech impairments, eating disorders, depression, and anxiety. We work with individuals who have many of these disabilities or just one...but all are hard to overcome the stereotype that seem to be associated with disabilties.

My interest in disabilities has been for twenty years after I broke my back (celebrate my 20th anniversary of my surgery next Monday). My fifth grade teacher thought that because of the injury that meant for some reason I was no longer as smart as I had been and that I needed to be with the special education students. After spending time with them, I realized that if being "normal" was the ideal than I would rather be disabled since they were a better group of people who were more honest and had much better goals! This was before ADA would benefit me so it was a long struggle (having a classroom on the 4th floor with no elevator and stuck on crutches for 2 years). When I got to college I worked as a campus tour guide giving tours. My favorite tour was working with a blind mother of a prospective student. I really looked at the campus much differently in realizing that it was easier to share the beauty just describing the little details like the fall colors, or campus architecture that most overlook. The thank you note that the office got from the mother on making the tour "visable" and yet informative for the entire group without making her blindness an issue made her happy that her son had selected my alma mater. I love just looking at that note as a reminder that what I do does make a difference.

I would definitely encourage you to pursue it. My recommendation would be to look at the colleges nearby. The community colleges are always in need of assistance in helping students with disabilities or providing counseling to those at risk (even as an academic advisor) without requiring much of an advance degree. We need more people out in the field who have the motivation to do what is needed for individuals who don't often have much options.

Let me know what additional info you need. Feel free to email me at mzilisch@gmail.com.

-Michelle

Re: Qualifications new
      #192608 - 07/07/05 06:25 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Wow. Thanks. It gives me a lot to think about. I'm not ready to go back to work yet, but it's definitely something I can take my time looking into and seeing what's out there. I'd much prefer to work with teens, as that's where I have the qualifications. There's just so little funding out there right now.
I am sitting on a board of a program that is a pilot project for all of Canada. It uses art and music to help kids with learning disabilities and behaviour problems work together. They put on plays, create art, work in the community, etc. It's just in the beginning stages, but it looks cool. Maybe I can contribute more with that soon.

--------------------

What a great program! new
      #192899 - 07/07/05 02:03 PM
Sailing Away

I wish we had something like that around here for the high school and middle school students. That could be so beneficial to their development and allow them to feel involved. Definitely get involved because it is the most rewarding thing. I keep recruiting people to help out with Junior Achievement and other school oriented programs because they have so much to give to the students without really having to commit more than just some time and compassion.

-Michelle

#193356 - 07/08/05 02:20 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03

Ruchie,

I am late in responding and I am sorry for that. I have had some issues myself the last couple of weeks and I have had a hard time shaking my emotional ups and downs.

It sounds like you have found the right therapist and that she will work with you to help you get through these bad times and become healthy again. I know that you can do this and you sound like you are ready to get past your abuse and be happy.

You are such a wonderful person and you deserve to be happy. I see you on the boards always helping others even though you are going through difficult times yourself. You are an inspiration to me. You always thank us for being there for you but I think we are all very lucky to have you for a friend and to have you in our lives.

I wish you continued success with your therapist.

Love,

--------------------
Janey

Hi, Janey new
      #193423 - 07/08/05 04:23 PM
BL

Hi, Janey. I've missed you lately. I hope things get better for you.

Thinking of you.

BL

Hey BL new
      #193445 - 07/08/05 05:04 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03

Thanks for missing me. I have had so many things going on right now and have had a difficult time dealing. Last Sunday I had a little mini breakdown and cried but felt much better afterwards. Hubby didn't know what to do because I am the one who is always positive and keeps everyone on track.

How are you doing? Hopefully ok! I haven't had a chance to get caught up with all the messages. Hopefully this weekend I will have time.

--------------------
Janey

#193529 - 07/09/05 01:29 AM

Unregistered

Hello Ruchie

Do not be afraid of hypnosis or seeing a psychiatrist. Until I lost my job through ill-health, I was a Medical Secretary to a Consultant Psychiatrist here in the UK - she used hypnotherapy and all the patients who had this treatment were amazed with it and I might add, she had a very high success rate. (you would probably be surprised at how many of her patients had been sexually abused as children and then it totally messed up their adult life until she treated them).
I have also had personal experience with psychiatry through my eldest son who is 32, and also have suffered with depression myself on and off.
I do hope you have a good therapist and psychiatrist and wish you all the best as you deal with whatever has traumatised you.

Judith

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2241 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2981

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review