Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
What do you do for a living?
      #191238 - 07/03/05 11:45 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

The "How long" thread made me wonder.

I am a museum educator. I develop the programs we take out to schools and civic groups as well as onsite things for special events and such.

I generally love what I do, but sometimes, I think the low salary may eventually drive me away.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What do you do for a living? new
      #191246 - 07/03/05 12:26 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I'm a college student, but I also work parttime in the freshmen engineering labs, helping develop new curricula, adminstering summer programs, doing prospective student tours, stuff like that.

Btw, my majors are biomedical and electrical engineering. The "plan" is to go to grad school, get a PhD in biomedical engineering and become a college professor.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#191249 - 07/03/05 12:48 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

My sister's getting a PhD in biomedical engineering right now. She doesn't want to be a college prof though.

However, I do. I'm an Assistant Instructor and a Teaching Assistant (AI's have their own classes, TA's help out profs) as well as taking a full load of grad classes. This upcoming year will be my last year of courses EVER and assuming I pass my comps all that will be left (all, I say) is to write my book. I just have to make it through this year. That's all.

The museum job sounds so cool. Sometimes I think I'd like to do something like that, rather than teach college. To me the "low" salary seems like a enormous one- grad students get peanuts.

#191250 - 07/03/05 01:02 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I work full-time as a property manager at a commercial real estate company.

I also freelance write (I write a column for a local newspaper among other things). It's great because it's something I can do on my own time after my full-time job.

I model on the side for extra cash whenever a job pops up.

#191251 - 07/03/05 01:10 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

My sister was a TA when we were in grad school. Peanuts indeed. Everyone I knew who was a TA was way stressed out and overworked and severely BROKE on top of it all. Severely broke and I do not get along well. In that situation, I tend to collapse into a fetal ball of worry, my brain shuts down, and I am pretty useless. Grad school was stressful enough as it was! Anyway, I chose to just borrow from every student's friend Sallie Mae. It was the right decision for me.

When I say "low salary" it means well under $30K with a master's and 5 years of experience (okay, I have no shame admitting my salary )...though, granted, it's a pitfall of working for a house museum.

Anyway, I'm sure you are glad the end is in sight! I don't know that I would have had the mental stamina to continue beyond my master's.

#191253 - 07/03/05 01:42 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

I'm a university student for the second time around. After graduating with a BA in Economics in 2000, I worked for Allstate Insurance Company as an Actuarial Assistant for about 4 years. I decided last year to come back to school and, if everything works out, I'll be doing an MSc in Nationalism Studies at the University of Edinburgh in September.

- Vincent

Kimm new
      #191261 - 07/03/05 02:21 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

What is a property manager?

And don't you go to school too? How do you find time for all this? Geez, I'd be a stress monster. Well, I already am, and I only work one FT job, and it's a pretty easy one at that!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#191269 - 07/03/05 03:07 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I'm a solicitor (lawyer). I qualified three years ago and since then I have worked in-house for the largest Bank in the country

My job is advising the retail area of the Bank on any legal issues that arise on a daily basis and I also draft the terms and conditions for new bank products (like credit cards, deposit accounts, debit cards etc) Are you asleep yet...yawn!

I do like my job most of the time, the salary could be better but the leave and work conditions are good.

--------------------
S.

#191281 - 07/03/05 03:34 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Well I'm a student too; going into my 3rd year of an undergrad degree in literary and cultural theory in Sept. The 'plan' is to do my MA and PhD after that and probably go on to become a professor or other type of academic of some kind.

But since high school I've also worked full time as a graphic designer at a newspaper. I stopped during the year when I started university but since it's summer I'm back at it. I work in the creative department so that means I design ads and sections of the newspaper, put it all together, and now I'm also working to print out negatives and get everything ready for the paper to go to press (which also means I'm working nights , but that's ok). I've also done quite a bit of freelance graphic design and web design on the side.

#191288 - 07/03/05 04:15 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

My jobs have been so confusing lately I am a civil engineer- I worked for a company in Chicago for 2 years designing - using AutoCad and Microstation to design roads/highways/bridges/intersections. My main focus is intersections/signal timing/accident reports/etc. I love car accidents - I know that sounds weird but I love analyzing them, doing the stats for them, etc.

When we moved here I worked for the County, so I was outside as an engineer telling 45 year old construction workers how to do their work. That was very intimidating, and very stressful to be in charge of a large project. There is so much more that goes into every construction project than meets the eye. The paperwork is insane.

Right now, I'm pregnant, working at Victoria's Secret, and teaching skincare and cosmetic lessons! A lot less stressful and easier on my tummy.

I'm sure I'll go back to engineering when I'm older, and my kids are a little older...but until then I'm going to be a stay at home mommy! Makes me SO happy that I can be.

--------------------
~Cara~

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 820 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3049

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review