All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Where is everyone...
      #191221 - 07/03/05 10:06 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

Everyone must be away for the holiday weekend!

I was supposed to go to my aunts beach house in new hampshire for the weekend, but didn't get the days I called off of work off.

So now I'm stuck here sad working tonight, and 4th of july night. booo.

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Where is everyone... new
      #191223 - 07/03/05 10:14 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Sorry you have to work, Ashley. Where do you work that you need to work nights?

I'll be around though! Glad I won't be by myself on the boards! And we can count on our Aussie and UK buddies too, hopeully! I think Canadian day celebrations should be over with by tomorrow. And maybe others will pop in sometime between fireworks!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#191224 - 07/03/05 10:17 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

I know! I'm very sorry too.

I have to miss out on the beach house, an invite to a party, and a group outing to see the fireworks and boston pops downtown.

Anyways.. I waitress.. which sucks, but its the best way to make cash while you're a full time student. I think i'd feel better about it if I was missing the fun for a good job I like, but I can't help but be annoyed that I'm missing out to wait on people. GROSS. haha

--------------------

#191229 - 07/03/05 10:25 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I'm around, just trying to get some work done this weekend, but I'm still not feeling the greatest (being at the computer too long is giving me headaches, so lots of breaks, plus my shoulders are killing me today).

Might go see fireworks on Monday depending on how I feel, but we'll have to see. Other than that, Mac (my bf) is dragging me out in the evenings, like we went out to dinner and walked around Border's bkstore last night.

Sorry you have to work, Ashley!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

I waitressed once new
      #191230 - 07/03/05 10:27 AM
Augie

and lasted a whole day at it! Honestly, it was the hardest day of my life. I couldn't even lift the darn tray up to get it to the table!

I know you are studying to be a school psychologist, so I was wandering if your work was related to that. I don't think I ever told you, but I actually got to the point where I was applying for graduate programs for School Psychology. I got scared that I wouldn't be able to find a full time job, since it seems that they tend to only hire part time ---or share one full time person among many schools cutting down on the number of jobs available.

Do you like what your experiences with school psychology so far? I'm not sure how far you have gotten with working with the kids. Do you think you made the right decision? What made you pursue this degree? Long answer not required!

I was telling my mom about you and saying how when I read your posts I always get regrets that I never pursued it further. Of course her answer is "it's not too late". But I am no longer in my twenties and it just seems too late. I should be a lot further into a career by now and not just starting over. Oh, to be in my young twenties again....

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: I waitressed once new
      #191234 - 07/03/05 11:13 AM
stevensa

Reged: 09/12/04
Loc: Texas

Beth,
I am in my mid 30's and am going back to school in a field completely different from what I am working in now. I've considered just staying in my current field since I am well-entreanched and proficient, but I don't enjoy it at all. Yes it will be strange to be on the same level (experience-wise) with people ten years younger than me and I am not following cookie-cutter mold that typifies society, but who cares!? We only have one life and I am going to do it on my terms and enjoy it! Sometimes we just have to step out of our comfort zones (trust me it ain't always easy hanging around people in their late teens, early 20's--no offense to those in that demographic) Cheers!

Steve

Re: I waitressed once new
      #191235 - 07/03/05 11:25 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

ugh.. you're very right.. waitressing is hard work, but the payoff is generally great.

As for school psychology.. all my life I've worked jobs related to that, and during the school year I intern at an elementary school three days a week and have my own caseload.

I didnt' know that you were interested in school psychology! thats very cool. I do like it alot.. mostly because I love psychology and I love kids so much. Anyways, there is actually a huge opening of school psychology positions in the US, which is partially why I decided to do that instead of clinical psychology etc. The majority of school psychologists in the US are retiring in the next five years, and now more and more schools are replacing guidance counselors with school psychologists because they can not only provide therapy, but also do assessments, so we are more cost effective I guess. haha.

you definitly do have to be choosey though, and the different regions of the US vary greatly in regards to what a school psychologist does. Basically, in the northeast we get paid the most, and have the smallest workloads. The average is one school psychologist per 500 kids, where in the central US its sometimes 1 psychologist to 3,000 kids. So basically, there are alot of openings for school psychologists but you have to be picky about the job you accept. Luckily, there are quite a few to choose from.

I know from my internship alone i've learned to be very picky. When I apply I want to be building based in one school, and to be able to do an equal amount of counseling as assessment (if not more). Thats what my practitioner has, so I know I'll be able to find it somewhere. But from studying I definitly know that you'll have a harder time finding that in an inner city, or in the middle of no where.. where they are mostly testers or have to work in 5 different schools all in one day.

I do think I made the right decision, because I love being a therapist, I love doing inteventions and prevention plans, and helping kids with reading, learning and behavioral disabilities.. plus the school year schedule is nice especially because I hope to get married and have my own kids someday, so that was a definite plus in my decision... and if things don't work as planned, I can still open a private practice with this degree, work in a hospital etc.

are you thinking about going back?

--------------------

#191237 - 07/03/05 11:41 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I'm around, but I just spent the last couple hours hunting down Fleet phosphosoda for the impending gastric roto-rooter experience.

I had to go to FOUR different stores to find the 6 oz. I needed. Apparently, they are changing something about the way they make the stuff and aren't shipping new yet. I ended up with three oz. of Fleet and 3 oz. of the Walgreen's brand.

Luckily, the ol' gut is pretty happy today. Otherwise, all those stops might have been torturous!

Spicey, I hope you at least get good tips working the holiday. That bites.

#191248 - 07/03/05 12:40 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

haha thanks.. but I'm doubting it.

who goes out to dinner on the fourth of july?!?!

--------------------

I'm here Ashley! new
      #191272 - 07/03/05 03:16 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

NO holiday weekend here so I am sitting at my laptop just before bed on a Sunday night, I hate bed on Sunday nights, because when you wake up its Monday

I had a nice weekend though, P and I went to the movies twice (War of the Worlds & Batman Begins) and we ordered our wedding invitations and P's suit for the wedding. Today I went to a hurling match with my brothers, then came home and caught up on housework.

A good productive weekend. Hope your workshifts go OK.

S

--------------------
S.

sinead.. and good news... new
      #191346 - 07/03/05 08:20 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

well good news!!

my friend jason agreed to work with me.
I called the day off and didn't get it and he didn't call it off and go it off (plus he hates holidays) so after leaving me hanging for awhile.. he agreed to work for me.

so yay.. I get to go to my party after all. Sadly I can't go to the beach house because its too short notice.. but I can celebrate with friends and fireworks and food. yay.

anyways sinead.. how were the movies you saw.. worth seeing?

--------------------

Re: sinead.. and good news... new
      #191499 - 07/04/05 12:55 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Yay that's good news Ashley, hope the party is fun.You owe Jason!

I really enjoyed both movies, Batman Begins was a bit better, but I was a big batman fan as a kid. The ending of WOW is a bit hard to believe but I did enjoy it. I saw Star Wars Episode Three last week too, due to the politeness of these boards I can't describe it in full.

--------------------
S.

#191505 - 07/04/05 01:22 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

I can relate to working (usually doubles) on holiday weekends. I spent my first 55 yrs. on the Cape. The last couple (yes, 55+2=57) I have been living not far from Boston in Millis. Not ONE tourist. It is funny not even knowing that it IS a holiday weekend.
I miss the carnival atmosphere of the Cape and all the take out food places. I couldn't eat much, but always found something. Ohhhh fried clams .......

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

It's never to late to change! new
      #191522 - 07/04/05 02:06 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I know I'm only 24, but my career change to gardening was made after pretty much 7 YEARS of getting towards another career.

And when I was at Uni, one of my pals was 32 and another was 38! They had a ball and are now working in that field.

Re: Linz - new
      #191524 - 07/04/05 02:14 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Linz - you're only 24? You come across as much older. Not in looks, but in wisdom. You are much wiser than your age, my dear. Hugs, Alicia. I feel REALLY OLD NOW!!!! (32)

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

portageegal... new
      #191615 - 07/04/05 09:18 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

oh I love the cape! Its so fun in the summer.. I am actually thinking about renting a place for the weekend there this summer.

I spent the last four summers on marthas vineyard and I really miss it. It was a gorgeous place to live.

Anyways.. millis isn't too far, and my roomate from college is actually from millis and living there currently. small world huh.

--------------------

Hehe! new
      #191641 - 07/05/05 02:19 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I guess I've been through a bit that's made me grow up faster - I certainly feel heaps older than many of my peers! Plus I've always had older friends and boyfriends.

But then everyone thinks I look 18. Ah well.

Yes, Linz new
      #191677 - 07/05/05 07:07 AM
Augie

this surprised me too. You are wise beyond your years, sweetie. You've really got a good head on your shoulders for only being 24! I was so no where near how together and mature you are at that age!

You have the best of both worlds...wisdom of someone older, yet looks of someone younger!

--------------------
~ Beth

#191680 - 07/05/05 07:12 AM
Kristine

Reged: 05/15/03
Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

I took the holiday weekend to get away from my computer. I didn't check e-mail, didn't surf the web, didn't even watch TV that much. Hubby and I spent most of the weekend painting our kitchen and bedroom, then rested.

Now it's back to work! Hope everyone had a fantastic holiday!

Kristine

Thanks for all the details, Ashley new
      #191691 - 07/05/05 07:30 AM
Augie

And yes, I think about returning to school all the time...just don't know how I would do it financially. I don't have anyone to support me while I do this...and it scares me to go PT at work and take out even more loans at my age!

--------------------
~ Beth

Steve new
      #191692 - 07/05/05 07:33 AM
Augie

If it's not too personal, how are you able to do this financially? Are you working FT or PT while you go back to school? Are you going to go back to school FT or PT?

what were you doing before, and what do you plan on studying now?

I admire your decision. Yes, I still have many, many years of working ahead of me...and it would be nice to both enjoy my work, and make a decent salary to be able to afford to buy my own place one day!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: portageegal... new
      #191793 - 07/05/05 10:09 AM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

sure is a small world. A friend of mine lives on the Vineyard. Nice place. I'd love to be able to live there, but it costs $$$$$$, lots of it. She was born there so that is why she is still there. The Cape is expensive now too. That is why I had to move from my hometown.
Carol

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 136 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2072

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review